Wildlife and Natural Photography Pics

voyageur said:
Yes, cool bear - a two year old likely that was just was kicked out by momma bear to figure things out, and more intent on eating grasses and roots than two legged beings. And yeah, a 400mm lens, and although close, a steel frame with four rubber tires in separation; it's just how I came across the little fella that day.

Generally, though, I've a little more respect for grizzly's than black bears, which can be much more unpredictable - more predatorial (yet don't underestimate either), at least that has been my experiences around their habitat.

Good to know :)

the only bears we have here are koala's, although rumors persist of the evil drop bear ;)

Attachments

• koala-bears-placed-on-threatened-species-list-4.jpg
    koala-bears-placed-on-threatened-species-list-4.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Dropbear.jpg
    Dropbear.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 215
You know, even little Koala's can be pretty scary ;) - I remember once walking at dusk in rural Victoria along a park and I heard this really loud grunting noise - I jumped and honestly was scared at that time and quickly walked away as I never heard an angry and aggressive sound like that before. Later my Australian friend had a good laugh when I told him the story as he told me it was the sound of a male Koala mating call :)

Mr.Cyan said:
You know, even little Koala's can be pretty scary ;) - I remember once walking at dusk in rural Victoria along a park and I heard this really loud grunting noise - I jumped and honestly was scared at that time and quickly walked away as I never heard an angry and aggressive sound like that before. Later my Australian friend had a good laugh when I told him the story as he told me it was the sound of a male Koala mating call :)

haha, yeah it is pretty creepy

https://youtu.be/ocIR6B-YtYE

mkrnhr said:
But Koalas can be scary. Proof:

https://youtu.be/finCHypE6qg

:)

:rotfl: that's pretty freaky, and unusual, they're normally pretty placid creatures!
There is a common misconception that Koalas get ‘drugged out’ or ‘high’ on eucalyptus leaves and that’s why they sleep a lot. This myth possibly arose as a way of explaining why Koalas sleep for up to 22 hours a day. They need more sleep than most animals because eucalyptus leaves contain toxins and are very low in nutrition and high in fibrous matter so they take a large amount of energy to digest. Sleeping for long periods is a strategy for conserving energy.

987baz said:
Mr.Cyan said:

haha, yeah it is pretty creepy

https://youtu.be/ocIR6B-YtYE

mkrnhr said:
But Koalas can be scary. Proof:

https://youtu.be/finCHypE6qg

:)

:rotfl: that's pretty freaky, and unusual, they're normally pretty placid creatures!
There is a common misconception that Koalas get ‘drugged out’ or ‘high’ on eucalyptus leaves and that’s why they sleep a lot. This myth possibly arose as a way of explaining why Koalas sleep for up to 22 hours a day. They need more sleep than most animals because eucalyptus leaves contain toxins and are very low in nutrition and high in fibrous matter so they take a large amount of energy to digest. Sleeping for long periods is a strategy for conserving energy.

Very funny stuff! :D

As for the Koala's matting call; yes strange, sounded a lot like a donkey i met once. As for the farmers being terrorized "it's coming, get away, oh my god!", it was revenge of the killer Koala that prevailed. Kidding aside, once had the bird scare the bejesus out of me in the bush (was on edge due to bears as it happened) when this Grouse in a tree above my head went off.

https://youtu.be/roi8jb9gsWk

Hope I never meet up with a evil drop Bear. :evil:

voyageur said:
Was out and about today and caught this little guy contently mowing down the grass and weeds - watched him for a bit and its amazing just how much they eat.

Great picture voyageur!! :clap: For all the wildlife photography lovers, that series I mentioned before now has the second season! Yesterday I started watching it and it was absolutely amazing, it also gives me like a calming sensation watching these type of things. The first two episodes are about a couple of photographers -Jonathan and Angela Scott- in the Serengeti. They have some really really stunning pictures.

In any case I'll leave the trailer here for the one's interested hehe:

https://vimeo.com/182962467

Attachments

• Morning-Majesty.jpg
    Morning-Majesty.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 151
Thanks Marina9 for the update on the series "Tales by Light" - definitely going check this out further as the trailer is really interesting.

I'm arriving late but I wanted to say that it's a great picture indeed Voyageur!

As for the deadly koala in the video... :rotfl: (nothing else to say) hehe

Very nice trailer Marina9, it sounds quite interesting and maybe inspiring for photography lovers. :)

Yas said:
I'm arriving late but I wanted to say that it's a great picture indeed Voyageur!

As for the deadly koala in the video... :rotfl: (nothing else to say) hehe

Very nice trailer Marina9, it sounds quite interesting and maybe inspiring for photography lovers. :)

You are welcome guys, it's those type of series that I think you can learn from, not just sit around and watch hehe. Plus in this season it's not just about wildlife. One of the photographers goes to Varanasi, India, where they celebrate death in a very particular way (not going to bring spoilers hehe) BUT it was really worthwhile :knitting:

Mr.Cyan said:
cool pic voyageur - looks like you got quite close to the grizzly before taking the pic :)

Though to mention this again - an article read today reminded me of this:

'Unbelievable': Banff visitor walks right up to grizzly in apparent bid for closeup photo

See photo in link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/banff-bear-grizzly-photo-close-up-danger-1.4178541

So the guy decides to break from the pack of photographing humans near Banff, Alberta only to walk to within a couple of meters of this grizzly bear (looks like a two year old bear and also noticed he is radio collared - not keen on this practice of collaring despite the date it can reveal):

Blanchard said he sees tourists wander close to wildlife "all the time," but this incident was especially risky, in his view.

"Grizzlies can be very unpredictable," he said.

I've no idea what he was thinking as the bear could have been on him in about 1/2 second.

Blanchard continues:

"Unbelievable."

Aside from the risk to humans, Blanchard said, he worries about the fate of animals that might get cornered into a conflict for the sake of a cellphone photo.

"I'd hate to see a beautiful animal like that destroyed because of people's stupidity," he said.

There are some rules of thumb for taking photos of animals in the wild in the article.

A mama Moose and two baby Moose passing by front of my house.

Attachments

• IMG_6207.JPG
    IMG_6207.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 79
Wow, you have excellent perception! 987baz.
That's why when my dog go outside, I have to leashed on him all the time, otherwise he chases and attack any animals he sees. And I have seen Bears, Mooses, Eagles, and variety of unknown birds comes and goes including Sea Gulls, because the ocean is about one mile away, and some people saw wolves too. It is scary to walking in this area.

Kay Kim said:
Wow, you have excellent perception! 987baz.
That's why when my dog go outside, I have to leashed on him all the time, otherwise he chases and attack any animals he sees. And I have seen Bears, Mooses, Eagles, and variety of unknown birds comes and goes including Sea Gulls, because the ocean is about one mile away, and some people saw wolves too. It is scary to walking in this area.

Sounds like you have a quite an array of animals around your place, sounds like you could use a good telephoto lens, don't want to get to close to the bears and wolves!!

Back
Top Bottom