Yoga

Allow me to toss in my two cents. I have been practicing yoga quite intensely for about 4 years now. As part of my immersion, I spent a three-month Sadhana course out of contact with the rest of the world and was exposed to many different facets of yoga. Part of this was a one month silent period where no talking was allowed. That was quite interesting and really shows how much energy is tied up in useless opinions about this and that. Subsequently, I have been attending a spiritual school run by an Indian yogi who moved to Denmark of all places to promote the spiritual side of yoga, rather than the purely physical side.

I can by no standards be considered a scholar on yoga but in my experience it is a very deep tradition that encompasses much of the material that is discussed on the forum albeit in a different way. As I see it, it is a holistic system that aims at purifying the body to facilitate spiritual development. To this end there are the asanas that both remove the energetic blockages within the bodies. As I recall, according to yogic lore there are 180 different basic asanas, each of which have one thousand variation leading to 180,000 different positions. Each asana has a physcial, emotional and mental effect and once you are sufficiently sensitive (which I, unfortunately, am not) you will find that particular asanas have particular vibrational resonance with the celestial bodies (this I have from my yogi teacher but it is not something that I have seen written anywhere). In addition to this the asanas have direct effects on the entire endocrine system.

Maybe the most fundamental part of yoga is the concept of Prana, or universal life force. Prana is is the air we breathe and the practice of pranayama or breathing is absolutely fundamental to yoga. It is said that in order to achieve Samadhi, it is necessary to master Pranayama As Laura points out in the introduction to EE, the pipe breath is very similar to Ujjayi pranayama. Next time I see my yogi, I intend to ask him about the three stage breathing program and the warriors breath to get his take on it.

An integral part of the yogic way of life is Ayurveda, where the health of the body is entirely dependent on what you put into it and there is an immense wealth of lore based on different herbs, purified metals and nutrition in general that can be used to treat more or less any condition. Each person has a constitution that is a combination of the three main constitutions, Vata, Pita and Kapha (air, fire and earth, approximately). Depending on your constitution you may be unable to digest dairy products or meat, while other constitutional mixes may result in raw food veganism being detrimental to your health. Each ingredient will affect a person based on the persons constitution. All diseases can be seen as imbalances in the persons constitution and it is claimed that the really good Ayurvedic Masters can tell both your constitution and your diseases by taking your pulse and some even by watching the frequency and timing of the blinking of your eyes. I spent a month in South India a couple of years ago and had a series of Ayurvedic treatments and became fascinated by it. I only scraped the very tip of the iceberg but it is a very interesting subject and I hope that someone one the forum knows more about than I do because I don't do it justice.

Furthermore, meditation with many different techniques, matras, etc. come into play. All this to say that in my experience yoga is very deep and can help with much of the work that we are doing on this forum. For instance, the first session at the yoga school I go, you have a two hour session where you discuss any past medical problems, psychological problems, abuse issues, family hereditary diseases, etc. Based on this information, the yogi makes a program of asanas tailored specifically to your situation. Furthermore, if you're interested, you get advice on dietary changes to make to your life, meditation techniques, etc. I realize that this is rare in the west but I think that there are yogis like that to be found out side of India.

My daily practice varies. For a long time it was a two-hour program but since I started to do the EE program on a daily basis I am doing a very slimmed down program of about 20 minutes. A last point worthy of mention is that being aware while doing yoga makes all the difference between a purely physical stretching program to being a part of a spiritual practice.

Well, I guess that amounted to three cents :)

About 4 years ago a friend of my daughter's mother asked me to be her student as she trained to be a yoga teacher. In exchange I could attend one of her classes for free when she became a certified yoga instructor. Since then I have been practicing regularly 2 or 3 times a week. Regular practice helps keep me flexible and I always make sure to include strengthening poses and balance poses. Breathing exercises and meditation have been part of my yoga practice. For the past year I usually complete my EE program after my yoga practice.
I am not a vegetarian although I do prepare some vegetarian meals. When my yoga teacher gets "new agey" I just tune her out. You can practice yoga without becoming a vegetarian or adopting a different spiritual path. There are some good DVDs out there that could help with some basic instruction. I borrowed some from the library to get different points of view. Have fun with it.

obyvatel said:
Corto said:
Yoga is cool. It definitely has more then one benefit for your body and mind.

Problem for me was that it usually comes with a package - buckets of love and light, vegetarianism, ycyr etc.
Once I started looking at it as stretching workout only things got much better.

FWIW I don't see anything wrong with practicing yoga, maybe twice - three times a week if you can afford the time.
But I see a lot of things wrong with yogi's outlook on life, and especially with not taking enough protein and animal fat.
Traditional yoga is primarily a monastic way of life to the best of my knowledge. Traditional yogis - past and present - are usually vegetarians and do not take animal fat or animal protein. Still they are very healthy, vigorously active and many live to a ripe old age. Some advanced ones even predict the time of their death and just roll their eyes and keel over at the predicted time.
Traditional yoga schools are somewhat secretive in the sense that the general public is not privy to all the information contained inside them. From what they do write for the public, it is apparent that they are very aware of the spirit world, a realm of angels and demons etc though they do not spell out the hyperdimensional aspect with the clarity of Laura and the C's.
The yoga that is popular in the US and elsewhere is perhaps very different from traditional yoga schools in India. Even a couple of non-traditional yoga schools that I was familiar with in India taught postures (asanas) and breathing techniques and did not teach any love and light or ycyor concepts or made any claims to take a person towards spiritual enlightenment. Postures and simple breathing techniques are the part of traditional Yoga that is usually shared with people outside the monastic school setting - and it may be a good idea to stick to these for safety reasons. Practiced incorrectly, advanced yogic techniques can cause significant harm to the body and mind.
My 2 cents - fwiw
I agree with obyvatel. the ycyr is western invention. 'Autobiography of Yogi' by paramahansa yogananda goes in depth of hierarchies in the yoga , meanings of the titles they aquire after attain some spiritual experiences and mastery over body and mind etc.

_http://www.yoga-age.com/modern/philosophy/phylosophy2.html also some info. related to philosophy.

'Guru is ultimate saviour ' is the fundamental to the entire system, because many of the students start their journey when they were almost less than 10 yrs and most of the time guru's didn't abuse much. The ugly side of it hooking the student with EXPERIENCE is widely publicised. One thing that is clearly lacking is dimensional nature of the reality and salvation is always All( 7the Density) or nothing ( repeating the 3D until 7D) . Yogananda went into little bit of mental planes, but not much.

And I have not encountered the component of psychopathology in any of the Yoga related writings I am familiar with.

tantric yogis are also famous and they can be considered pathological part of it. Many of the old movies have tantric yogi's as villions.

I used to do yoga exercises/asanas pretty regularly in my youth. I also did ballet exercises, so it was a varied routine. I can't say I really liked it or noticed a big difference in how I felt since I was always battling pain from food sensitivities and toxicity and rheumatoid arthritis and didn't know it. Maybe if I had known those things and had been on the proper diet, it would have been different. Anyway, Ark has been doing something called "The Five Tibetan Rites" for years and years, and always finishes up standing on his head for a bit. He's 67 and still doing it... and is more flexible than many men 1/3rd his age.

I have been practicing yoga for some years,which proved to be of great benefit to me. At that ime I went under depression
and hardly could sleep.When I moved to live in he countryside I kept on doing it by myself at least 3 times per week.I end
the yoga sessions with the EE program.

I first started Hatha yoga in the 70's and have "loosly' practised it on and off for years. I have tried other various exercise fads, but I always come back to yoga as my exercise of choice, I like the the slow stetches and control, it's good after a shower when the body is warm, as normally you don't sweat during yoga.

It was nice a nice surprise when the EE program was introduced to see some yoga moves.

It was suggested I start a new topic about my experience with yoga rather than hijack the iodine thread. I bought the Richard Hittleman's Yoga 28 day exercise plan book. I've now done three days of it and all I can really say is; I'm not very good at it!

I've never been very limber. I have no previous experience or training in yoga. It's hard to remember all the details of the exercises and postures. How long was I supposed to hold this position for? What was the position of the hands again? Was my knee supposed to be straight or bent? etc.

But I'll keep plugging along anyway and do the best I can. That's it folks! :cheer:

genero81 said:
It was suggested I start a new topic about my experience with yoga rather than hijack the iodine thread. I bought the Richard Hittleman's Yoga 28 day exercise plan book. I've now done three days of it and all I can really say is; I'm not very good at it!

I've never been very limber. I have no previous experience or training in yoga. It's hard to remember all the details of the exercises and postures. How long was I supposed to hold this position for? What was the position of the hands again? Was my knee supposed to be straight or bent? etc.

But I'll keep plugging along anyway and do the best I can. That's it folks! :cheer:
That's good to hear. Hittleman was a pioneer in bringing yoga more mainstream way back when. I still have that book and used it religiously when I first started practicing 'way back when'. I highly recommend that book over all the other 'teachers' out there for beginners. His step by step approach is perfect for new folks. And remember to breathe!

Keep plugging away and don't push it. Do the beginning position until you eek into the expert position. Don't push it and be gentle with yourself. Do it daily. You will get there, and you'll be very surprised in 28 days with just how much more limber you are. Good luck!

I finished the book just the other day and at the beginning I was pretty bad. I still don't do well certain poses, but everytime it gets easier. I practiced every single day minus the shift days, so it took me nearly two months.

It is good!

Thanks Gaby and 1984! You're so right 1984 about remembering to breathe. The tendency is to want to hold your breath while holding a difficult posture.

I've been doing yoga on and off for years. Having been quite stressed out with work and home, I signed up for a class and I have noticed the subtle difference in that I don't get triggered quite that frequently (still work in progress). Also listening to the latest Health and Wellness Show on 'yoga demystified' was a good show where Erykah stressed the importance about coming back to the body - and not forgetting the breathing too!

I've ordered Hittleman's book and look forward to reading it once it arrives.

There's some good online / youtube videos that are worth checking out too. I particularly like the style of Esther Eckhart - she's quite good.

ashu said:
I've been doing yoga on and off for years. Having been quite stressed out with work and home, I signed up for a class and I have noticed the subtle difference in that I don't get triggered quite that frequently (still work in progress). Also listening to the latest Health and Wellness Show on 'yoga demystified' was a good show where Erykah stressed the importance about coming back to the body - and not forgetting the breathing too!

I've ordered Hittleman's book and look forward to reading it once it arrives.

There's some good online / youtube videos that are worth checking out too. I particularly like the style of Esther Eckhart - she's quite good.

I'm in the same boat on all counts! I've done several types of yoga over the years recreationally, but never as a day-to-day discipline. Shout out to the SOTT radio team (esp. Erykah) for that informative show. I'll be acquiring the book and practicing each day. :thup:

I've also considered looking into pranayama breathing as well, since I know a lot about breathing and the nervous system from EE so I feel like I'd have a good basis for understanding and applying it in constructive ways.

Btw, the book that Erykah recommended during the H&W show is this one:

Title: The Illustrated Light on Yoga

Author: B.K.S. Iyengar, Foreword By Yehudi Menuhin

genero81 said:

Hi genero81,

I also got the book and coincidently 3 days in. I done yoga regularly in the past 2/3 months alongside EE.but I've been following instructions on you tube for my yoga sessions. I've felt it has been positive for me physically And emotionally.

I have found it difficult reading the book and practicing the poses and I'm very slow. I find when I do the exercises at the end when it really should be a flow I have to stop to double check which exercise etc. I think I would prefer following this from a video but I'm going to stick at it.

I really struggled with the simple twist and the leg over but I'm interested to see what happens as I work through the daily program. I'm interested to see if I can gain strength and of course become more flexible. I'm trying to focus completely on the various positions/poses it will help me when I am more comfortable with it so I don't refer back to the book.

I've got two books on doing yoga in bed! That's because it is hard for me to get up and down off the floor with my legs all wonky. I'll let you know how this works out!

Back
Top Bottom