Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

I think that should be double and triple checked for sure. They may be flogging their services.
Agreed. You never know. I found this site, that quotes a reference: FAQ • Advanced Hyperbaric Recovery, Inc

"Soft inflatable bag chambers can only reach a maximum depth of 1.3 ATA internally, while the lowest protocol for hyperbaric medicine used by Physicians in the USA is 1.5 and above. You will never find an inflatable chamber in a hospital. In fact, studies show that oxygen cannot kill bacterial in pressures below 1.4 ATA and can in fact enhance the growth of some molds, bacteria and fungus.(Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine, page 143,4th Revised Edition, K.K. Jain, et al.)"

Here's the book: Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine: 9783319836645: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

Agreed. You never know. I found this site, that quotes a reference: FAQ • Advanced Hyperbaric Recovery, Inc

"Soft inflatable bag chambers can only reach a maximum depth of 1.3 ATA internally, while the lowest protocol for hyperbaric medicine used by Physicians in the USA is 1.5 and above. You will never find an inflatable chamber in a hospital. In fact, studies show that oxygen cannot kill bacterial in pressures below 1.4 ATA and can in fact enhance the growth of some molds, bacteria and fungus.(Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine, page 143,4th Revised Edition, K.K. Jain, et al.)"

Here's the book: Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine: 9783319836645: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

And there we see the sleight of hand in the piece you quoted. It was:
"Scientific research shows that oxygen becomes bacteriostatic at 1.5 ATA. This means that at levels above 1.5 ATA, the oxygen prevents bacterial and fungal growth. With hard-shell hyperbaric oxygen therapy, pressure levels are typically over 2.0 ATA, making it successful in the suppression of bacterial growth. Unfortunately, with average levels of 1.3 ATA, soft-sided chambers cannot suppress bacterial growth. On the contrary, they enhance the growth of bacteria, mold, and fungus. Exposure to bacteria, mold, and fungus make conditions worse or lead to additional medical complications."

So, basically, 1.4 and above is bacteriostatic according to the textbook, but the other place said 1.5. It isn't wrong, it just isn't the whole banana.

After the delay due to Shanghai lock-down, the delay due to Chinese holidays:

I have booked the shipment for your chamber, pl check the waybill.
Your chamber packages will be picked up by DHL by 5th .cause from 1st-4th is China Labor Day holiday, the shipping company don’t work.

Best regards

There is a silver lining. I had time to check the waybill before shipping and sure enough the town was wrong !

I was a diver in the Navy and we had to learn about oxygen toxicity. Essentially if you’re working hard oxygen becomes potentially toxic to the body at about 1.6 ATA at 100% O2.

There’s treatments where patients breath 100% O2 at higher pressures, however those are always performed with someone observing inside the chamber with the patient who is relaxed.

For home use, it would make sense to limit the pressure of O2 below 1.6 ATA just to avoid the chance of convulsions.
It's interesting. Here at my place all doctors require patients to have no epilepsy history to receive HBOT, some of them ask for a lungs x-ray as well. Otherwise HBOT is considered pretty safe locally.

I think I have read a study somewhere that doing HBOT at pressures ranging from 1.3 atm to 1.7 atm results in similar benefits, but I can't find it now. Can someone confirm if my memory is correct and point me to that study?

This is important to confirm because most chambers on the market are at 1.3 atm.

I found it in the post below:
There's a study that was done on cerebral palsy (CP) and 1.3 was used as the sham group ... In this particular study, with 1.3 being the sham group, there was also a ... control group that got no hyperbaric at all.
Within the sham group, there was significant improvement on the metrics they were measuring. Then they had a 1.5 [atmospheres at] 100% oxygen, which also had a good improvement and then, a 1.75 [atmospheres at] 100% oxygen, which had even a greater improvement.
The issue in the study was that while all three of those groups improved, there was no statistical difference or enough of a statistical difference between the 1.3, the 1.5 and the 1.75. So, the conclusion of the study was therefore that hyperbaric does not work for CP, although all three of those groups had significant improvement.

This page also presents a good argument for mild HBOT:
While reading over studies, it’s important to note the treatment protocol for the control group. In several studies, the control group was given a “sham” treatment that consisted of HBOT pressures around 1.3 ATA and varying concentrations of oxygen. As Dr. Harch describes in Hyperbaric Oxygen and Gene therapy HBOT 2014, very small amounts of pressure can produce dramatic positive effects. In one case, he shows markedly improved SPECT brain scans after a single treatment at 1.25 ATA and a total dive time of 30 minutes.

To give you an idea of how to properly interpret these types of studies, consider the Wolf study entitled The Effect Of Hyperbaric Oxygen On Symptoms After Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. As Dr. Harch points out in Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Post-Concussion Syndrome: Contradictory Conclusions from a Study Mischaracterized as Sham-Controlled, the fact that there was no difference in outcomes between groups of brain injured veterans that received 2.4 ATA and 100% oxygen and groups that received 1.3 ATA and 21% oxygen does not mean that HBOT is ineffective treating mild Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI) Post-Concussion Syndrome (PCS), and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). In fact, given that both 2.4 and 1.3 ATA groups showed improvement, the correct conclusion is that HBOT at both of these pressures is helpful.

mHBOT Studies – A Smattering​

After pouring over studies and videos like the ones listed, my general take-away is that if a person is suffering from some sort of infected wound, diving bends, or carbon dioxide poisoning then high pressure and pure oxygen HBOT is advised. Although, as mentioned in Illusion of Higher Pressure HBOT More is Better, it’s important to realize that the risk of injury due to excessive oxygen (hyperoxia) is very real especially at higher pressures. Nonetheless, it makes sense that the higher oxygen concentrations are anti-bacterial. As such, high pressure HBOT serves to both kill off harmful bacteria along with reducing inflammation, up-regulating growth factors, and the like.

In contrast, lower pressures appear to be more beneficial for brain injuries and stimulating the positive physiological effects in general. In gist, driving too much oxygen into the body isn’t helpful unless there is a festering wound, diving injury, or carbon monoxide overdose. In fact, when it comes to brain injuries, autism, and others, it’s not uncommon for higher pressures to make matters worse.

mHBOT Studies – A Smattering​

After pouring over studies and videos like the ones listed, my general take-away is that if a person is suffering from some sort of infected wound, diving bends, or carbon dioxide poisoning then high pressure and pure oxygen HBOT is advised. Although, as mentioned in Illusion of Higher Pressure HBOT More is Better, it’s important to realize that the risk of injury due to excessive oxygen (hyperoxia) is very real especially at higher pressures. Nonetheless, it makes sense that the higher oxygen concentrations are anti-bacterial. As such, high pressure HBOT serves to both kill off harmful bacteria along with reducing inflammation, up-regulating growth factors, and the like.

In contrast, lower pressures appear to be more beneficial for brain injuries and stimulating the positive physiological effects in general. In gist, driving too much oxygen into the body isn’t helpful unless there is a festering wound, diving injury, or carbon monoxide overdose. In fact, when it comes to brain injuries, autism, and others, it’s not uncommon for higher pressures to make matters worse.

If a 1.3 ATA would suffice, then one could be purchased from Amazon Canada for just over 5K.

And there we see the sleight of hand in the piece you quoted. It was:

So, basically, 1.4 and above is bacteriostatic according to the textbook, but the other place said 1.5. It isn't wrong, it just isn't the whole banana.

This is another quote from the website a case for mild HBOT@Bobo08 gave a link to.
So before we end this physics discussion, let’s take a look at some comparative numbers for various ATA pressures and oxygen concentrations. This will be useful as you do your own reading and in understanding why different pressures need to be used depending on the illness. As you’ll see later on, proponents of hard chambers like to twist the numbers in order to make soft chambers seem weak. The table below shines a light on this obfuscation by showing that mHBOT can produce oxygen pressures well over ambient.

It's interesting. Here at my place all doctors require patients to have no epilepsy history to receive HBOT, some of them ask for a lungs x-ray as well. Otherwise HBOT is considered pretty safe locally.

It's logical that epilepsy would be excluded at higher pressures because if a person began to seize, you wouldn't be able to get to them in a 1 person chamber in time. I've read that too high pressure can cause weak lungs to collapse. So perhaps, these conditions would benefit from mild pressure?

It's logical that epilepsy would be excluded at higher pressures because if a person began to seize, you wouldn't be able to get to them in a 1 person chamber in time. I've read that too high pressure can cause weak lungs to collapse. So perhaps, these conditions would benefit from mild pressure?

The doctor we met here said that it is very rare that it causes lungs to collapse unless you already have a condition such as an untreated pneumothorax. But he also mentioned that if you have issues with the higher pressures at first, they give you sessions with mild pressure for you to adapt. It would be good to know more about that, to be sure.

The 1.3 is all I can afford. Im thinking its better than nothing. Its around 6000euro, that includes delivery and import tax from alibaba.
Which particular make and model did you go for? I have been quoted the below via Alibaba for $4,100 USD including delivery and import taxes to Australia. I can’t find any reviews for this manufacturer which is holding me back.

Which particular make and model did you go for?
This one, two reviews from two buyers, Dr hugo is the name on it. It must be good if it has a dr names on it 🤣 Havent handed over any money yet. Still undecided if I will go with them or not. Like you, its hard to find info on them except the reviews on alibaba. So many its hard to know which one to go for.

I have been quoted the below via Alibaba for $4,100 USD including delivery and import taxes to Australia. I can’t find any reviews for this manufacturer which is holding me back.
They seem okay, although cant know for certain, they have one review I see on alibaba from a buyer of the same chamber. Thats a nice price you got though. From what I'm reading its best to get a 10l concentrator instead of the standard 5l that come with most of the 1.3. So its not working at maximum all the time, the one you linked goes to 10l, so thats good.

Back
Top Bottom