Would horse be a potential beef substitute ?

Here is a summary from the US perspective:

Personally, to me they are a noble beast, and I would not eat my dog either. That said, it does not mean that it is not eatable.

When young, there was a restaurant in Quebec that got caught substituting horse meat for burger in their hamburgers. Today in Quebec, there are 10 restaurants that specialize:

10 Restaurants That Serve Horse in Montreal

For Canadians, here is a paper on the subject:

I've had quite a few equine companions through the years and I would have to be starving to eat horse meat; and, maybe, not even then. I've too many wonderful memories with them to do something like that. And, as Voyageur said, they are noble creatures.

In Switzerland they used to have two types of butchers - either you sold horse meat only, or you sold every other meat. But both was not possible - not sure why.

I’ve had horse meat frequently when I grew up - it’s got a sweetish taste that is a bit different to the other meats, but I always thought it was OK to eat.

Here in Australia I haven’t seen any horse meat on sale, ever.

So there must definitely be some cultural influence with horse meat …
Here in Austria horse butchers were normal for a long time, They were special shops same as in Switzerland. I bought some from time to time. For me it tasted a little bit different, but okay., can't remember exactly because it is a long time ago. To be honest I never thought of it too much: meat is meat. Nowadays they are hard to find, nearly disappeared.

I have not met anyone in the US who like beef liver, and I really like it, and most of the people I've asked usually think it's such an odd thing to eat, but it's delicious.
Be careful with consuming any liver, including beef liver. It has a high amount of Vitamin A. This is where Vitamin A is stored in the body.
There is a well thought out theory, that if you consume more Vitamin A, than your liver can store, it will be circulating in your body creating a lot of damage. Vitamin A is accumulating over the years if its spent is less than the intake. That theory links that to multiple auto-immune diseases that plague more and more people worldwide...

I posted about it here earlier: Vitamin A aka retinol free diet

You could see the cod liver (used to be my favorite delicacy) would be on top of the list (if sorted) with 30000 RAE in 100 grams of product.

vitamin-a-content.JPG

I have eaten horse as a kid , my grandmother used to cook a horse roast , family joke ross braten sounds like rost braten , for Christmas every year

I also skinned and butchered a horse that had died , and ate it , or some of it anyway

I believe Frisian horses were bred to be all round uses , to ride , pull carts ,and to eat

I prefer to eat animals l have know and raised , or someone I know has , so I know what they ate and how chemical loaded they are

Unless you catch wild food , all farmed animals will have been at least dewormed , ivermac you know , but that stuff has a withholding period as to how long you have to wait before slaughter

Here's a 2010 artcle about an Australian butcher that sells horse meat. He claims:

Mr Garreffa says Australia has the sixth largest export market for horse meat in the world, slaughtering from 50,000 to 70,000 horses a year for human consumption in countries in Europe and Asia.
I've owned horses and I'm not sure I could easily eat them.

There is a well thought out theory, that if you consume more Vitamin A, than your liver can store, it will be circulating in your body creating a lot of damage. Vitamin A is accumulating over the years if its spent is less than the intake. That theory links that to multiple auto-immune diseases that plague more and more people worldwide...
Oh, thanks for that, I didn't know that the liver was the place where we stored the Vitamin A, nor did I know of the possible harmful effects of an overdose of it.

I'd say that I will still enjoy liver, though I do not consume it in great quantities, but this information is certainly great to have.

Thanks once again.

Overdosing on vit A by consuming raw dog liver was a ,,sport,, among young male native Americans, a bit like binge drinking...to see who throws up first
Just a bit of trivia

I've had horse intentionally while in France, did not really care for it. A few years ago I bought some good looking meat cuts at my grocery store from the beef section (in USA). I knew immediately it was horse meat when I took a bite. Kind of sweet relative to beef. Not happy! I don't have an ethical issue with it, just not nearly my first choice for protein.
Goat is delicious, however.

Oh, thanks for that, I didn't know that the liver was the place where we stored the Vitamin A, nor did I know of the possible harmful effects of an overdose of it.
Apart from vitamin A, copper is also very high in beef liver, and It may cause an imbalance in the zinc/copper ratio which is most important for proper free radical scavenging. However, moderate consumption (as all in nutrition) could be beneficial for its other nutritional properties, osit.

But what caught my attention is the liver remarks they made, I have not met anyone in the US who like beef liver, and I really like it, and most of the people I've asked usually think it's such an odd thing to eat, but it's delicious.
Obviously, we have never met. I have a bit of beef liver every day. I do like it and it has a lot of nutrients that our bodies need.

I would say It’s definitely a nobility thing. Throughout human history, throughout the rises and falls of civilizations, it appears that certain 2D creatures have “earned” prestige amongst humans, for their nobility and usefulness, they have earned a “respect” and bond with us whether in this life or in past ones. Horses are definitely the top of that list when it comes to grass eaters!

I know many people who like liver but I'm not one of them. Never knowingly ate horse but I used to dine on the economy when in Honduras and Guyana, there's only so many field rations a person can stand. Odd looking bits of meat here and there in Honduras and frequently saw eggs in Guyana that had white yolks. Found a few ants in my mashed potatoes once (army food lol) and was (unknowingly) fed dog in Chicago at a mexican restaurant.

If theirs a time where no one can't have sheep cattle or goats and get expected to eat fake meat.
How low will "they" go with eliminating our protein sources as Beyond Meat continues to sink on Wall Street?

3D

1665792758455.png
Beyond Meat Stock Falls. It Cuts Outlook and Workforce.
Barron's Oct. 14, 2022

Visions of forced acceptance.

Attachments

• 1665792623864.png
    1665792623864.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Obviously, we have never met. I have a bit of beef liver every day. I do like it and it has a lot of nutrients that our bodies need.
Just like Brawndo...;-D lol sorry, I don't mean to add noise, but the way you worded it reminded me of that movie.

And it might be rather appropriate considering how the world is obsessed with reinventing meat... as if meat didn't already exist

Back
Top Bottom