Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

The non-rebreather mask that I have requires a minimum of 5 L/min inside the chamber. The 5 L/min unit only gives around 3.4 L/min inside the chamber so you'd be better off with a normal mask or the cannula.
This is so weird, my fiancé and I can both breathe normally with ours and it’s in 1.5ata with a 5l concentrator and a non-rebreather mask. You guys aren’t maybe breathing too rapidly or taking too big breaths?

I am really impressed with macypan attentiveness and after sales service.
The condensation in my chamber became really significant and i noticed that air dryer actually spewed the water out into the outlet pipe. I messaged my sales rep and she asked me to film it so they can diagnose the problem.
Then she replied:
“Because of the high humidity or temperature of your local air, this problem occurs in the air cooler. The technical department suggests replacing the water collector and the way of import and export. We will send you the accessories in the picture. After you receive them, please refer to the video to replace them.”

I think we have the same problem with our Macy-Pan.

After using the chamber for about 13 hours, wet air started coming out of the cooling machine and moistening the air of the chamber. Also, it made wet patches on a pillow we use inside.

I wrote to Riley about it, so we'll see what she says.

My question to you Zoran is: can you still use the chamber before the problem is resolved? There are 2 of us using it daily, and sometimes we are four, I don't know whether the extra humidity might end up being bad for the chamber if used often or what. Do you know?

My question to you Zoran is: can you still use the chamber before the problem is resolved? There are 2 of us using it daily, and sometimes we are four, I don't know whether the extra humidity might end up being bad for the chamber if used often or what. Do you know?
I have a habit of using pillow to keep the chamber open so that it will air out when it is not in use. We don't use that much either -Max. 2 people a day. I am not sure that will help.

After using the chamber for about 13 hours, wet air started coming out of the cooling machine and moistening the air of the chamber. Also, it made wet patches on a pillow we use inside.

Yes the wet patches are probably from the water dripping from the silencer inside.

I used the chamber today. The part to modify the cooler is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday and i didn’t want to stop.

Funnily enough today I had no condensation in the chamber at all - although I could see water droplets spewing out into the pipe supplying air to the chamber before I switched it off.

The only difference is that today I didn’t use non rebreather mask. Instead I used the mask that came with the chamber- looks the same as non rebreather mask only without the bag and with the same position of holes on the side but without silicone valves on them. I modified it a bit - putting the silicone valves from rebreather mask onto the holes.
I had a lovely session with full relaxation and even dosed off a bit.
I am theorising that non rebreather mask makes me nervous with suffocating feeling which raises my pressure and perspiration. I figured that with 10L per min concentrator i will still get plenty of oxygen because it goes straight into my nostrils on inhale but there is no that restricted feeling which triggers anxiety.
Having said that i think there is still a problem with air dryer ( we indeed have high humidity all year around here) and we shall see if the modification they proposed will fix it.
I think you can still use the chamber / it will not damage it - it will just be pretty uncomfortable.
Only make sure that you wedge something in the opening after deflating the chamber so that it remains open and can dry nicely between the session.
I think there are mostly hygienic concerns- especially with multiple users rather than technical damage.

I have a habit of using pillow to keep the chamber open so that it will air out when it is not in use. We don't use that much either -Max. 2 people a day. I am not sure that will help.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the place where we have it has no doors, it's an open space, so we have to cover it using a large blanket, at least during nighttime, when our cats are indoors. From the minute we installed it they became fascinated with it. Of course, they don't like it when it's operating and making all those sounds, especially the hissing type. But I will try to keep it open and airing as you suggest during the day when the cats are out and about, mostly.

Yes the wet patches are probably from the water dripping from the silencer inside.

Yes, that's where the water is dripping from.

I used the chamber today. The part to modify the cooler is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday and i didn’t want to stop.

Funnily enough today I had no condensation in the chamber at all - although I could see water droplets spewing out into the pipe supplying air to the chamber before I switched it off.

We also see water droplets, but they are inside the pipe (no spewing outside) traveling upwards toward the chamber. The spewing happens inside, so far at least.

The only difference is that today I didn’t use non rebreather mask. Instead I used the mask that came with the chamber- looks the same as non rebreather mask only without the bag and with the same position of holes on the side but without silicone valves on them. I modified it a bit - putting the silicone valves from rebreather mask onto the holes.
I had a lovely session with full relaxation and even dosed off a bit.
I am theorising that non rebreather mask makes me nervous with suffocating feeling which raises my pressure and perspiration. I figured that with 10L per min concentrator i will still get plenty of oxygen because it goes straight into my nostrils on inhale but there is no that restricted feeling which triggers anxiety.

I haven't used a non-rebreather mask yet, I use the one they send in the package so I don't know the difference.

I still experience anxiety when I use it, but for other reasons. Reading or listening to novels hasn't helped much, but what did is watching a sitcom that I find funny on an iPad during each session. For some reason, it's the only way I can completely dissociate and it also helps with feeling that time goes by faster. I also chew Rescue Remedy gum during the pressurizing phase. It helps with nerves and ears :lol:

Having said that i think there is still a problem with air dryer ( we indeed have high humidity all year around here) and we shall see if the modification they proposed will fix it.
I think you can still use the chamber / it will not damage it - it will just be pretty uncomfortable.
Only make sure that you wedge something in the opening after deflating the chamber so that it remains open and can dry nicely between the session.
I think there are mostly hygienic concerns- especially with multiple users rather than technical damage.

Thank you, I'll do that. And we'll see if Riley gives us the same solution that they gave you when she replies.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the place where we have it has no doors, it's an open space, so we have to cover it using a large blanket, at least during nighttime, when our cats are indoors. From the minute we installed it they became fascinated with it. Of course, they don't like it when it's operating and making all those sounds, especially the hissing type. But I will try to keep it open and airing as you suggest during the day when the cats are out and about, mostly.
Funny you should mention it, my dogs seem to be fascinated by it as well. When its working they keep their distance but lying on the floor and watching me inside for the whole duration of dive.
Yes, that's where the water is dripping from.

We also see water droplets, but they are inside the pipe (no spewing outside) traveling upwards toward the chamber. The spewing happens inside, so far at least.
Thats what i meant - water droplets spewing from the airdryer and if i remove the pipe and get close i feel water spray on my face.
I haven't used a non-rebreather mask yet, I use the one they send in the package so I don't know the difference.

I still experience anxiety when I use it, but for other reasons. Reading or listening to novels hasn't helped much, but what did is watching a sitcom that I find funny on an iPad during each session. For some reason, it's the only way I can completely dissociate and it also helps with feeling that time goes by faster. I also chew Rescue Remedy gum during the pressurizing phase. It helps with nerves and ears :lol:
I really tried hard but i think i will give up on the non rebreather mask. Seems to me i will still get enough oxygen with the simple mask plus my modification i described above.
I think once we fix humidity and high temperature issue it will be different experience all together.
Thank you, I'll do that. And we'll see if Riley gives us the same solution that they gave you when she replies.
I am sure she will. Seems this is a common problem and they already have procedures in place to fix it. They will send you a bit to screw on the dry air outlet to seal it and a new water collection bit to replace the old one. This new one now becomes also a dry air outlet as the pipe connects directly on it. I think it shows in the photo i posted above- it was meant to be a video but forum format didn’t allow it.

I don't think we have ever had a moisture problem inside the chamber. We decided at the beginning to keep the room the chamber is in as cool as possible since compressed air is 'warmer' than non-compressed air. So, we figured to start out with very cool air. If it is very cool outside, we open the window. We have a fan sitting near the compressor and turn it on blowing toward the compressor sometimes just to make sure the circulation is good and the air is cool. Then, we nearly always prop the chamber open with a rolled up yoga mat between sessions.

In the beginning, I found being in the chamber quite warm (due to compression), but over time, I have relaxed so much (I guess) that it is very cool inside to me and I wear long pants, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and warm socks inside. Others still experience it as being very warm, thus the installation of the circulation fan INSIDE the chamber as discussed earlier.

So, using fans, fresh air, A/C cooling, propping open, we just haven't had any internal moisture problem.

I don't think we have ever had a moisture problem inside the chamber. We decided at the beginning to keep the room the chamber is in as cool as possible since compressed air is 'warmer' than non-compressed air. So, we figured to start out with very cool air. If it is very cool outside, we open the window. We have a fan sitting near the compressor and turn it on blowing toward the compressor sometimes just to make sure the circulation is good and the air is cool. Then, we nearly always prop the chamber open with a rolled up yoga mat between sessions.

In the beginning, I found being in the chamber quite warm (due to compression), but over time, I have relaxed so much (I guess) that it is very cool inside to me and I wear long pants, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and warm socks inside. Others still experience it as being very warm, thus the installation of the circulation fan INSIDE the chamber as discussed earlier.

So, using fans, fresh air, A/C cooling, propping open, we just haven't had any internal moisture problem.

Very good suggestions, thank you. We have a fan and we will certainly start using it!

Not sure I follow you here. Can you please explain.
Basically the issue is whether the volume of air that you breathe in during the duration of your in-breath is greater than the combined volume of supplied oxygen from the mask plus what's in the bag and whether you exhalation is long enough to allow the bag to refill so it doens't get depleted after a few breaths.

Assume your in-breath lasts 6 seconds (that's 1/10th of a minute) and the volume is 0.5 liter. If you have a 5 L/min oxygen concentrator outside, it will deliver 3.3 L/min inside. So, during those 6 seconds the mask will give you .33 liters and if the bag is full (which is .75 L) you'll be able to get remaining .17 L from the bag which will leave .58 L in the bag. Assume your exhalation is four seconds (1/15th of a minute) so during your exhalation the bag will get an additional 3.3/15 = 0.22 liters and the bag will fill up. So in this situation you're fine as the bag refills during your exhalation and the combined volume of the flow from the mask plus what's in the bag will give you enough.

Now, if your breaths are a bit deeper, say one liter, the it won't work. During your in-breath that lasts 6 seconds you need one liter. The flow still only gives you .33 liters but you then get .67 from the bag which leaves .08 in the bag. During your exhalation that lasts four seconds the bag again fills up with .22 liters which leaves 0.30 liters. So on the next inhalation you still need one liter. You breath in .33 liters from the flow but now the bag only holds .30 so on this breath you'l only be able to get .66 and not the needed 1.0 liters.

So it comes down to several factors. How big are your breaths (the volume), how long time do you spend on inhalation and on exhalation. lf your breathing is shallow (low enough volume so that the bag doesn't get depleted) or slow enough (the bag has more time to refill) it'll work out fine. Doubling the volume of the oxygen generator (e.g. from 5 to 10 L/min) means that it can support breaths that are twice as deep or twice as fast. But if a 5 L/min OG works there's no benefit from having a 10 L/min unit.

However, what I've noticed from my own sessions is that as I get more relaxed or even dose off my breaths get much deeper (more volume as the enter both belly and chest) and the duration is longer. So if I'm reading I won't use up very much of the air in the bag but if I'm dozing off, I'l empty the bag completely. So it can vary during a session.

I hope it makes sense.

Basically the issue is whether the volume of air that you breathe in during the duration of your in-breath is greater than the combined volume of supplied oxygen from the mask plus what's in the bag and whether you exhalation is long enough to allow the bag to refill so it doens't get depleted after a few breaths.

Assume your in-breath lasts 6 seconds (that's 1/10th of a minute) and the volume is 0.5 liter. If you have a 5 L/min oxygen concentrator outside, it will deliver 3.3 L/min inside. So, during those 6 seconds the mask will give you .33 liters and if the bag is full (which is .75 L) you'll be able to get remaining .17 L from the bag which will leave .58 L in the bag. Assume your exhalation is four seconds (1/15th of a minute) so during your exhalation the bag will get an additional 3.3/15 = 0.22 liters and the bag will fill up. So in this situation you're fine as the bag refills during your exhalation and the combined volume of the flow from the mask plus what's in the bag will give you enough.

Now, if your breaths are a bit deeper, say one liter, the it won't work. During your in-breath that lasts 6 seconds you need one liter. The flow still only gives you .33 liters but you then get .67 from the bag which leaves .08 in the bag. During your exhalation that lasts four seconds the bag again fills up with .22 liters which leaves 0.30 liters. So on the next inhalation you still need one liter. You breath in .33 liters from the flow but now the bag only holds .30 so on this breath you'l only be able to get .66 and not the needed 1.0 liters.

So it comes down to several factors. How big are your breaths (the volume), how long time do you spend on inhalation and on exhalation. lf your breathing is shallow (low enough volume so that the bag doesn't get depleted) or slow enough (the bag has more time to refill) it'll work out fine. Doubling the volume of the oxygen generator (e.g. from 5 to 10 L/min) means that it can support breaths that are twice as deep or twice as fast. But if a 5 L/min OG works there's no benefit from having a 10 L/min unit.

However, what I've noticed from my own sessions is that as I get more relaxed or even dose off my breaths get much deeper (more volume as the enter both belly and chest) and the duration is longer. So if I'm reading I won't use up very much of the air in the bag but if I'm dozing off, I'l empty the bag completely. So it can vary during a session.

I hope it makes sense.
It does. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I have 10L/min and it is still not enough for me. I gave it a good go for 10 sessions but every time sooner or later I end up with empty bag which triggers anxiety.
So I decided to ditch the non rebreather mask.

It does. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I have 10L/min and it is still not enough for me. I gave it a good go for 10 sessions but every time sooner or later I end up with empty bag which triggers anxiety.
So I decided to ditch the non rebreather mask.
Did you check the oxygen line for leak, it may be just that simple, a bad connection. My unit as a 10 liter per minute flow and at 1.5 ata it goes down to 8 liter per minute. Maybe check what is the flow of your unit at 1.5 ata as well.

Back
Top Bottom