What are you listening to?

I'm completely captivated and obsessed with Angelina Jordan's precocious vocal control, wide range, delightful tone and creative stylings of old standards and modern covers--especially as she displays her talent as a jazz singer with all her improvisations and flourishes. Below are links to my favorites arranged in chronological order of performing age (in parentheses). You're in for a treat, so sit back and enjoy.

(age 7) GLOOMY SUNDAY (her rendition of Billie Holiday lead to her winning "Norway's Got Talent", and could persuade someone to believe in reincarnation!)
(7) WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES
(8) FLY ME TO THE MOON (introduced by Rosie O'Donnell on her TV show)
(9) I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
(10) FEELING GOOD

(13) BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Angelina Jordan - Bohemian Rhapsody - America's Got Talent: The Champions One - January 6, 2020
(13) YELLOW BRICK ROAD ("America's Got Talent" final performance)
America's Got Talent The Champions 2020 Angelina Jordan Full Performance And Story Grand Final
(14) A MILLION YEARS AGO (stunningly beautiful full of tender emotion)
Angelina Jordan - A Million Years Ago
(15) SUSPICIOUS MINDS
Angelina Jordan - Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley cover made completely original by Angelina)
(14) WHAT IS LIFE? (her first original composition "...maybe life is about painting paintings...we come, we see, we go..."
Angelina Jordan - What Is Life (Acoustic)

FROM HER FACEBOOK PAGE:

In addition to singing, Angelina plays the piano, violin, guitar and flute. She also paints and sews.

In November 2015, Jordan published the book "Between Two Hearts', making her the youngest published writer in Norway. It tells the story of her meeting a poor motherless girl in the Middle East who has no shoes. After a long conversation in which they discuss their dreams in life, she gives the girl her shoes and the girl promises to pray for Jordan to fulfill her dream to become a successful singer. According to Jordan the book is based on a real incident that happened when she was six, which she cites as the reason for always performing barefoot.

The book was illustrated by her grandmother, Iranian artist Mery Zamani. (Angelina has a rich ethnic heritage, which includes a Norwegian mother, and a Japanese-Iranian father).

Here's a picture of her a few years ago wearing a pantsuit she made from fabric designed by her grandmother.

Attachments

• angelina fabric dress1.jpg
    angelina fabric dress1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just discovered Angelina's version of one of the most covered songs ever--with her soulful and special touch.

And then there's this fantastic jazz cover of MIchael Jackson's "Billie Jean"!

Last edited:
My daughter was watching Spirited Away and I was listening to the the final song, Always With Me. It has a very gentle spirit about it which made me want to look up the lyrics. Here they are:

Somewhere a voice calls in the depths of my heart
May I always be dreaming, the dreams that move my heart
So many tears of sadness, uncountable through and through
I know on the other side of them I'll find you

Every time we fall down to the ground, we look up at the blue sky above
We wake to its blueness as for the first time
Though the road is long and lonely, and the end is far away, out of sight
I can with these two arms embrace the light

As I bid farewell, my heart stops in tenderness I feel
My silent empty body begins to listen to what is real
The wonder of the living, the wonder of the dying
The wind, town, and flowers, we all dance one unity

Somewhere a voice calls in the depths of my heart
Keep dreaming your dreams, don't ever let them part
Why speak of all your sadness or of life's painful woes
Instead let the same lips sing a gentle song for you

The whispering voice we never want to forget in each passing memory
Always there to guide you
When a mirror has been broken, shattered pieces scattered on the ground
Glimpses of a new life, reflected all around

Window of beginning, stillness, new light of the dawn
Let my silent empty body be filled and reborn
No need to search outside, nor sail across the sea
Cause here shining inside me, it's right here inside me
I've found a brightness, it's always with me

Wales play in the football World Cup for the first time since 1958 this week, so I have to share good old Dafydd Iwan, with his ode to Welsh survival Yma O Hyd. Wonderful song. Not the first time I've cited this song, but hell, as a Welsh footie fan this is just too good an opportunity to miss. I almost never watch TV, but I'll be glued to the football coverage this coming month. Good luck to all you fellow forumites who follow football at this tournament, wherever you come from. I think it's gonna be a very exciting one, lots of good teams this time with little to separate them.

Back
Top Bottom