The infrabed

SummerLite said:
I didn't think it was working at first since you cant see the lights on in a daylight room so a bit concerning.

What color temperature it has? 940nm is invisible, but 850nm should have a faint red color, at least in dark.

I delivered the reptile light 660 nm.
link of reptile light, discussed on Jack Kruse website. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-PT2144-Infrared-Basking/dp/B0002AR3QW

I would rather use the LED plant grow light. This light that you have doesn't have a lot of 660nm: http://www.exo-terra.com/images/shared/products/infrared_basking_spot_rating.jpg

SummerLite said:
I didn't think it was working at first since you cant see the lights on in a daylight room so a bit concerning.

Did you cover up the photo sensor, so that it thinks it's night time and turns on?
It looks like you should be able to see a faint red glow from the photo's too.

81dgJuz4pGL._SY355_.jpg

Infrabed guys: have you tried increasing the duration or no of sessions per day, just to try to find the "body load sweet spot"?

I guess the need to experiment depends on the severity of ones problems and, as in my case, impatience.

Persej, I have the 850nm and I did see the faint red glow after placing it in a dimmer area. I'm quite happy with it so far. This is the light Dr. Hamblin recommended, can't post a link since I'm typing on a tablet and I'm limited on skills.

I like the looks of that grow light and will recommend that to my son as well. I told him the bulb (660nm)was limited and there where better ones available. If he gets some results with this light hopefully he'll want to continue and get something better.. I couldn't wait to get going with this and the bulb was readily available. I tried it on myself and I actually liked the fact I could see the red light and feel the heat, maybe nice for the winter months I thought. Thanks for your input. I'll add the grow light to my recommend list since I've been sharing info with several people.

RedFox said:
SummerLite said:

Did you cover up the photo sensor, so that it thinks it's night time and turns on?
It looks like you should be able to see a faint red glow from the photo's too.

81dgJuz4pGL._SY355_.jpg
No! I was so excited to get that i was in a bit of a tizzy and lost my head, I thought it was broken,lol. I discovered it was on and then covered the sensor with masking tape which was recommended here. Then I read on the instructions to hook it up at night to make sure it's working! I managed to bumble through the first 15 minutes but all was well after that. Thanks Redfox.

I cannot find an IR light at a decent price in my country so I will have to order it online. But I also cannot find it with the integrated plug (I cannot buy from amazon) so I will have to buy power adapter separately. So I have a question: I know that I should get 12V but what about amps? If a light has a power of 20W, I should buy adapter with 2A, right?

There also seems to be two types of IR illuminators. The one like the Bobo bought with 216 little LEDs, and a new version with just 15 for the same power. But I cannot find any major difference between them beside a little better design for the one one.

Persej said:
I cannot find an IR light at a decent price in my country so I will have to order it online. But I also cannot find it with the integrated plug (I cannot buy from amazon) so I will have to buy power adapter separately. So I have a question: I know that I should get 12V but what about amps? If a light has a power of 20W, I should buy adapter with 2A, right?

If the place you are buying it from is any good, it should tell you what voltage/amps it needs. The light itself should also be labeled with it's required volts/amps on the back.
You can always get a power supply with more amps (i.e. 12V 3A) to be on the safe side. It's only a problem if the power supply is not providing enough amps - the LED's and/or the power supply could fail.

A quick check here _http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.htm says 20W and 12V should be 1.6A - so 12V 2A should be fine I think.

worldbridger said:
Infrabed guys: have you tried increasing the duration or no of sessions per day, just to try to find the "body load sweet spot"?

I guess the need to experiment depends on the severity of ones problems and, as in my case, impatience.

I think it also depends on the depth of the injury you want to treat. The deeper the wound is, the longer the sessions should be.

RedFox said:
If the place you are buying it from is any good, it should tell you what voltage/amps it needs. The light itself should also be labeled with it's required volts/amps on the back.
You can always get a power supply with more amps (i.e. 12V 3A) to be on the safe side. It's only a problem if the power supply is not providing enough amps - the LED's and/or the power supply could fail.

A quick check here _http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.htm says 20W and 12V should be 1.6A - so 12V 2A should be fine I think.

Thank you. That's what I thought. Yes, the do recommend DC12V2A, now that I look closer, but they don't have 2A with Euro plug, only US. I will have to order adapter from another seller, or perhaps buy it locally.

Pierre said:
worldbridger said:

I think it also depends on the depth of the injury you want to treat. The deeper the wound is, the longer the sessions should be.

Yeah, sure. So, have you tried?

I've been thinking about "depth" and diseases when it comes to NIR. I mean skin problems/diseases, are they superficial? They could be or not, maybe both (cause/effect).

Are autoimmune diseases deep? Known injuries deep(er) in the body or damaged organs, sure. But considering transporting vehicles like blood, lymph. and maybe nervous system, maybe organs and other tissues get their photons anyway?

How long the photons stay in the body/problem area maybe depends on tissue/flow.

I just get more questions the more I think about it. Maybe I should try putting the NIR to my head....

Scottie said:
(...) Other than that, I can't say that I've noticed anything else, except that one 15-minute treatment the day after I worked out seemed to have fixed some sore muscles. I didn't even realize it until the next morning. (...)

My back, shoulders and neck muscles have been pretty stiff and painful for a couple of months now, although it's probably a different type of pain to the one you get after working out. My back hasn't been great for a couple of years but it seems to have deteriorated even more after I changed my bed mattress. I've been putting my LED lamp on my back for around 15-25 minutes daily (around 5 minutes per spot) depending on how much time I have, and it actually does help quite a bit. It hasn't entirely resolved the problem but the pain isn't as intense anymore.

Ant22 said:
My back, shoulders and neck muscles have been pretty stiff and painful for a couple of months now, although it's probably a different type of pain to the one you get after working out. My back hasn't been great for a couple of years but it seems to have deteriorated even more after I changed my bed mattress. I've been putting my LED lamp on my back for around 15-25 minutes daily (around 5 minutes per spot) depending on how much time I have, and it actually does help quite a bit. It hasn't entirely resolved the problem but the pain isn't as intense anymore.

When I have not-workout-neck/shoulder stiffness, I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01I1RF2BU/

Usually, it results in weird tingling shooting down my legs and all kinds of weird-yet-pleasant sensations. Afterwards, I can feel my shoulders finally relax, which means I'm usually walking around with tensed shoulders. I haven't needed it as much lately, but for awhile there, it was an everyday thing.

Don't know if that will help, but it's been darn-near magical for me! :wizard:

Scottie said:

Usually, it results in weird tingling shooting down my legs and all kinds of weird-yet-pleasant sensations. Afterwards, I can feel my shoulders finally relax, which means I'm usually walking around with tensed shoulders. I haven't needed it as much lately, but for awhile there, it was an everyday thing.

Thanks for posting that Scottie, I just bought myself one - I tend to store all my tension in my shoulders and mid/upper back. Can't wait to try this, will report back when I receive it. :)

Scottie said:
Ant22 said:

Thanks Scottie! I was actually thinking of paying for a course of massage to help with the issue but this device costs as much as an hour of professional massage would cost me. So definitely a money saving option!

I guess it would help if I paid more attention to my body posture at work too because I tend to almost lie in my chair in front of my computer for a couple of hours per day.

Worldbridger, I increased from 15 minutes a day to 30. I do 15 laying on my back, and 15 on my stomach. That seems to be pretty good because it appears to accumulate over a period of days.

I've been wondering a lot about what kind of planetary environment ours might have been assuming that a greater level of NIR is optimal for us as opposed to the kind of light we currently get from the sun (not to mention other sources!) Or does the NIR simply help to balance us out against the artificial lights we use?

Laura said:
I've been wondering a lot about what kind of planetary environment ours might have been assuming that a greater level of NIR is optimal for us as opposed to the kind of light we currently get from the sun (not to mention other sources!) Or does the NIR simply help to balance us out against the artificial lights we use?

Yes, those are very interesting questions. Here are some possible explanations:

The Pre-flood Atmosphere

There is evidence that the atmosphere enveloping the early earth was very different than it is today. At one time the entire earth enjoyed a warm tropical environment and there was enhanced oxygen in the atmosphere. Organisms grew larger and lived longer as a result.

Many creationists have attributed this to a water vapor canopy that was created by God on the second day, the “waters above the firmament” (Genesis 1:7). This theory holds that a “vast blanket of invisible water vapor, translucent to the light of the stars but productive of a marvelous greenhouse effect which maintained mild temperatures from pole to pole, thus preventing air-mass circulation and the resultant rainfall (Genesis 2:5). It would certainly have had the further effect of efficiently filtering harmful radiation from space, markedly reducing the rate of somatic mutations in living cells, and, as a consequence, drastically decreasing the rate of aging and death.”(Morris, Henry, Scientific Creationism, 1984, p. 211.) Citing evidence of denser atmosphere in the past, Morris postulated that this vapor layer could have dramatically increased the atmospheric pressure on the surface of the early earth, again contributing to a healthier environment (like a natural hyperbaric chamber). Later the canopy would have collapsed in the form of rain (the “windows of heaven” in Genesis 7:11), contributing to the Flood water, and resulting in the dramatic drop-off in longevity after the deluge. (...)

Some creationists emphasize other factors that may have caused the worldwide temperate conditions that existed before the Flood. They stress the evidence of far greater concentrations of carbon dioxide levels in the past and point out that the earth’s magnetic field was far stronger than today. This could have acted as the shield for cosmic radiation and produced the healthier environment. (Humphreys, Russel D., Starlight and Time, 1995, p. 63.) (...)

Another interesting feature of the early earth atmosphere was enhanced oxygen. The analysis of microscopic air bubbles trapped in fossilized tree resin gave Robert Berner of Yale and Gary Landis of the U.S. Geological Survey a glimpse into the ancient past. “The researchers clamped the amber into a vacuum chamber of a quadrupole mass spectrometer, a device that identifies the chemical composition of a substance. As the machine slowly crushed the sample, the microscopic bubbles were released, exhaling up to 100 billion molecules. These breaths disclosed some surprising evidence: the ancient air contained 50 percent more oxygen than the air today.” Landis believes that the reduction in oxygen could have led to the dinosaur’s demise. (Discover, February, 1988, p. 12.)

Other studies of air bubbles in amber have found increased pressure as well as greater oxygen levels. “One implication is that the atmospheric pressure of the Earth would have been much greater during the Cretaceous era, when the bubbles formed in the resin. A dense atmosphere could also explain how the ungainly pterosaur, with its stubby body and wing span of up to 11 meters, could have stayed airborne, he said. The spread of angiosperms, flowering plants, during the Cretaceous era could have caused the high oxygen levels reported by Berner and Landis, scientists said last week.” (Anderson, Ian, “Dinosaurs Breathed Air Rich in Oxygen,” New Scientist, vol. 116, 1987, p. 25.) A Yale study published in the March 3, 2000 issue of Science independently confirmed the high levels of oxygen present in the earth’s distant past. Some have even suggested that without such an atmosphere the relatively small lung capacity in certain dinosaurs could not have supplied their massive tissue with the needed oxygen.

In October 2006 Science Daily publicized a study led by Arizona State University staff entitled “Giant Insects Might Reign If Only There Was More Oxygen In The Air.” The article claims, “The delicate lady bug in your garden could be frighteningly large if only there was a greater concentration of oxygen in the air, a new study concludes. The study adds support to the theory that some insects were much larger during the late Paleozoic period because they had a much richer oxygen supply, said the study’s lead author Alexander Kaiser. The Paleozoic period…was a time of huge and abundant plant life and rather large insects — dragonflies had two-and-a-half-foot wing spans, for example. The air’s oxygen content was 35% during this period, compared to the 21% we breathe now, Kaiser said.” This research concurs with the biblical model of the early earth. In 2010 researchers at Arizona State University presented the results of experiments raising insects in various levels of atmospheric oxygen. Ten out of twelve varieties of insects studied decreased in size with lower oxygen. Some, like dragonflies, grew faster and became bigger in an enriched oxygen atmosphere (Science Daily, October 30, 2010.).

_http://www.genesispark.com/exhibits/early-earth/atmosphere/

Back
Top Bottom