Any GOOD horror movies?

My take on this is a bit different, but as a child my Irish Grandmother used to babysit me when I was about 5-11 years of age, and we'd stay up late watching old horror movies on a Saturday night while my Mum and Dad went out partying. Man I cherish those memories, I still recall the actors in those great old films; Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Vincent Price. Only one of my friends in school used to stay up and watch them, we felt like proper rebels in our catholic school. The Nuns even graded my pictures well because I always made sure Dracula got killed by a Cross in them!

Anyway, I think my point is that I find the atmosphere created in horror films from the late 50's/60's to be amazing, so I tend to not bother with modern horror films. The last big horror film director I rated was John Carpenter, he made some real classics. generally though, nah, I avoid the modern stuff. I'm the same with music too. I like music from about 1966-75 and not much else bar a few modern bands.

I actually find that tech advancements are no substitute for good writing and acting.

Reactions: Ca.
Anyway, I think my point is that I find the atmosphere created in horror films from the late 50's/60's to be amazing, so I tend to not bother with modern horror films
Yeh I know what you mean. Back then it was substance over style... They learned the art of "less is more".
If a modern movie were a Cassie forum member, it'd forever be penalized by the mods for breaking the forum "noise" guidelines :ban:

Reactions: Ca.
Here you go.
- Spring (2014) - indie romantic horror that's actually quite good!

I saw that one a couple of years ago, and it was pretty good! Unusual, and cleverly done. Not a "horror" movie per se, though there are a couple of "ewww" scenes... Not random gore and violence though (I hate those); those scenes do serve the plot, and are meaningful.
ADD: if you decide to watch that movie, do not watch the trailer or search for pics on Google as it'll give everything away, and that'd be a shame.

Last edited:
Jacob’s Ladder, one of the most disturbing I’ve ever watched. Actually kind of based on real life events. As for reading can’t go wrong with Steven King.

To stare infinity in the face without flinching, one must know evil and not fear it. The depths of human imagination can be incredibly dark.

That being said these days I mostly focus on the evil happening around us, the dark heart dawning. Paying attention to reality left and right. OSIT.

Jacob’s Ladder, one of the most disturbing I’ve ever watched. Actually kind of based on real life events. As for reading can’t go wrong with Steven King.

To stare infinity in the face without flinching, one must know evil and not fear it. The depths of human imagination can be incredibly dark.

That being said these days I mostly focus on the evil happening around us, the dark heart dawning. Paying attention to reality left and right. OSIT.

This movie is influenced on a Julio Cortazar short story "La noche boca arriba" (The Night Face Up”).

I don't know if it is a movie of "terror" as such, but it's considered one of the first surrealist films in the history of cinema and the first fiction feature film of Italian cinema, "L'Inferno" (1911) by Francesco Bertolini, Giuseppe De Liguoro and Adolfo Padovan, is a work based on the poem by Dante Alighieri, "The Divine Comedy".

The Haunting Of Hill House Ending Explained

Although I'm not big on horror flicks, (I like to be entertained not stressed out) this one turned out to be worth it. I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread. In this day and age, one good thing about platforms like Netflix is you get these nice long narrations that would be impossible in a movie format. That allows plenty of time to get to know the characters. In fact, the director of this series had such an affection for the characters he decided to change the ending from what it was in the book, giving the show a positive twist right at the end. I liked that. Usually everyone meets a horrific demise with no redeeming qualities in horror tales such as this. (bummer) More true to life is the fact that potential valuable lessons can be gleaned from even the darkest episodes of our lives.

I give it two thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom