Jordan Peterson: Gender Pronouns and Free Speech War

Another thing that came to mind was that, Mate is misinformed because he wants to be, there’s plenty of material online of JBP that would enlighten him as to who he actually is.

As a matter of fact, I think Gabor Maté gave me some answers, insightful inspirations or tools to understand my "failures" mostly considering unexpressed emotions that comes from past wounds, in a particular way, a proposition that was good enough for a certain period of time. In the light of this information it was then possible to identify a number of key issues, so to say. While through JBP I was able to expand my perspective much more, and he happened to be at the right time...
Yeah same here, his work to me spoke about self awareness and added dimensions to addictive behavior that I was unaware of, which to me is positive in that sense, JBP came after saying nothing opposite to that, but took it a step further by saying that despite all that, we don’t need to remain a victim of the world and evil and our lives can attain meaning through this realization.

As Beau said, there's nothing repressed about Peterson's anger. It's very real and well-integrated from what I can tell.

Exactly. In "When The Body Says No", Maté makes the case that unexpressed anger had a role to play in the cancer & autoimmune cases he covered. But to me, although Peterson has said he has an agreeable personality, he shows a sort of "righteous anger" in some cases, and in others, shows assertiveness enough to be considered, at least from my viewpoint, as a healthy manifestation of anger. So, Peterson is doing what Maté recommends.

Also in that video, he goes for the white privilege argument to question whether unprivileged youths should be responsible or have any sense of responsibility. That is just appalling to hear to say the least, and keeps promoting the victimhood mentality that pervades in today's youth.

I ran into this tweet thread today. And I’m not sure, I feel Gabor Mate is reading JBP through the less of the portrayal that his opposition presents, I do think he’s onto something as far as unexpressed emotions and so on, but I think that he’s not looking at it completely and JBP has attempted and succeeded to a great degree to live above those “demons” and act for the benefit of all despite their prevalence in his life.

What do you guys think?

What "gospel of stoic self-reliance"? Mate apparently does not understand Peterson.

I think it is a good illustration of the "elephant-system 1" running the show. His impressions of him are too tainted by strong political bias, personal history, and jealousy (maybe). There would be no reason for him to do what he just did if that wasn't for that.

Also in that video, he goes for the white privilege argument to question whether unprivileged youths should be responsible or have any sense of responsibility. That is just appalling to hear to say the least, and keeps promoting the victimhood mentality that pervades in today's youth.
Reading Samenow would help on that point.

Yeah same here, his work to me spoke about self awareness and added dimensions to addictive behavior that I was unaware of, which to me is positive in that sense, JBP came after saying nothing opposite to that, but took it a step further by saying that despite all that, we don’t need to remain a victim of the world and evil and our lives can attain meaning through this realization.

I agree too. I made some steps in understanding the necessity for setting up frontiers, understanding anger expression and possible causes for autoimmune conditions thanks to him. His view of addiction being always derived from isolation makes sense too. I am grateful for that.

Though to fuel action and doing in very simple and practical way, "how instead of why", Peterson is of great help.

On Sunday night a few of us Finnish members went to see JP giving a talk in Helsinki. The event was sold out, and the full packed hall was 'bubbling' with enthusiasm before it started. To actually see how the crowd consisted of a wide variety of people - young, old, girls, boys, women and men made a strong impression on me. And yeah, the far-right people and nazis where nowhere to be seen. Anyone with a brain knows what a load of nonsense that is. We'll see what kind of hit piece the Finnish media will come up with to describe this event.

The talk was of the usual high quality JP always delivers, and I'll not go into the contents right now. The most amazing thing for me personally was to be together with over a thousand people, who all wanted 'just' to hear man talk about common sense. As JP entered the stage, and as the crowd started cheering, I actually had to fight back the tears...the emotion was so overwhelming!

Mate might understand a few things, but it seems to me that he doesn't understand enough of his own mind to see how he's publicly lashed out in an embarrassing and unprofessional 'diagnosis' of Peterson that is probably based on a narrative built in defense of his favored Marxist ideology. Perhaps he also doesn't like Peterson getting so much attention as the 'most awesome Canadian professor/psychologist', and if that's the case he apparently has his own 'suppressed emotions' to contend with.

Mate might understand a few things, but it seems to me that he doesn't understand enough of his own mind to see how he's publicly lashed out in an embarrassing and unprofessional 'diagnosis' of Peterson that is probably based on a narrative built in defense of his favored Marxist ideology. Perhaps he also doesn't like Peterson getting so much attention as the 'most awesome Canadian professor/psychologist', and if that's the case he apparently has his own 'suppressed emotions' to contend with.

Sums it up pretty good IMO.

First I think Mate is very hazy and vague about the reasons he comes to those conclusions. It would be nice if Mate could provide a clear and understandable line of thinking that has lead to this view. I sense it might have more to do with the projected image of Peterson in the mainstream, than anything else.

So Mate should provide some concrete reasoning for coming to those conclusions. And calling his meat diet "doubtless a bodily expression of the emotions his mind/personality will not consciously allow. " is more then a bit uninformed and one sides IMO. In many cases choosing such a diet is primarily an expression of knowledge, and a desire and need for some fuel that doesn't create so much problems for oneself and thus others.

By the way, here is the rest:

<...>

His last tweet just takes the cake.

Here are some signs of suppressed rage:
-passive aggressive attacks masked as compassion that go after attributes over message
-lofty hypocritical 'spiritual' talk
-intellectual narcissism
-distorted perception of what others say
-Nice Guy syndrome
Tell me again who has the suppressed rage?

Without concreteness, and just based on one side, Mate had been asked to speak to the native community here some years ago and he set his price (sounded high to me). Fine, okay, it was what it was, and understand it was agreed upon. I was actually hoping to hear him because addictions and childhood trauma is about as prevalent to the audience as can be and there might have been some good outcomes from his talk, even if for just one person (as he obviously is known as one of the subject psychological guru's on these matters). However, it was said he backed out rather late citing excuses that sounded like it was not worth his time to travel (not being that far away) and speak to such a small group (and the group had to scrample to find a replacement speaker). And maybe that is fair enough, his time is valuable to him and I'm sure he was/is in demand, and who knows what was going on in his schedule. Nevertheless, this was quite a let down for the group who was willing to pay the costs as agreed to help some of their people. At the time, it was surprising because it sound like it was done in such a negative way, like you're people are not worth my time, and I don't think people were impressed, especially coming from a guy who does (or once did) work with similar groups in Vancouver's East end building his career.

Still, some of what Mate has to say is important, yet getting into the mix with Peterson is just plain silly (and on Twitter to boot). Perhaps, though, if it gains to one some "attention" in the press and in certain circles, certain left circles or professional circles, this might or might not have be driving his actions. If so, what is at root might dovetail with what is underlined above as his "jealousy factor" aka he has a pronounced occipital ridge, as the C's once mentioned, that got the best of him.

Whatever the case, it seems like it could be a backfire move on Mate's part, and it's something else JP now has to deal with
instead of being supported, osit. Also, in retrospect of what the group discussed above actually needing as a speaker, who would have been more beneficial for them, Mate or Peterson? I'm now apt to go with the latter; just opining.

Reactions: Ca.
His last tweet just takes the cake.

Here are some signs of suppressed rage:
-passive aggressive attacks masked as compassion that go after attributes over message
-lofty hypocritical 'spiritual' talk
-intellectual narcissism
-distorted perception of what others say
-Nice Guy syndrome
Tell me again who has the suppressed rage?

What makes this "diagnosis" of "rage" even stranger is the fact that Peterson is probably (from all that I have seen of him, which is a lot) one of the very few people in this world who actually seems to have achieved a level of healthy integration and expression of "rage" that is hard to miss, if you really look into what he is doing and how he interacts with people even for a second somewhat deeper.

In fact, I think I have never witnessed someone quite as able as he is (not to mention in the public sphere) that seems to have managed the art of redirecting "rage" in a healthy and constructive way then he has. I'm not even sure if calling this "healthy rage" or "anger" is the appropriate term for it at all. I think another term would be needed to describe it.

What separates him from most others is that he seems to have reached a very deep visceral understanding of the terror of the situation that is far away from pure theoretical knowledge and a very deep level of compassion and willingness to help others because of it. How one should associate that with "rage" is somewhat beyond me. At least in the usual sense rage is associated with.

Mate seems to be ideologically possessed and indeed should look in the mirror first before diagnosing anyone as having "suppressed rage" since the signs clearly point to the fact that he has that problem first and foremost.

Peterson simply plays in another ballpark and Mate should be grateful and thankful enough to accept that.

Back
Top Bottom