DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

But I see how one might want to wrap it up overnight to get a long exposure time.
Very imporant info:
Cutaneous administration of DMSO with occulusive bandages may cause a papillovesicular reaction which leads to inflammation and epidermal death. 37 Although these are not permanent changes, occulusive bandaging should be avoided when using topical DMSO.
Covering up the skin is not a good idea with DMSO.

I'm thinking maybe 1 teaspoon DMSO and 1 teaspoon sodium ascorbate may still be too concentrated DMSO for topical use, because where I put it the skin turns a bit pink. I'm thinking of trying 0.5 teaspoon DMSO, 0.5 teaspoon Quinton isotonic, and 1 teaspoon sodium ascorbate.

Here's a very good review from Brayton (Cornell University), written in 1986:

It's very complete and gives a good idea of what to expect in terms of side effects. DMSO's properties are reviewed and it's important to remember any potential toxic elements you might have been exposed shortly before (or after) using DMSO. There are reported cases of death because mercury was applied shortly before a topical DMSO in a horse.

DMSO has a sedative effect and it's also a good anticholinesterase chemical. That is, acetylcholine circulates better in the body after DMSO use:

Anticholinesterase, any of several drugs that prevent destruction of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine by the enzyme acetylcholinesterase within the nervous system. Acetylcholine acts to transmit nerve impulses within the parasympathetic nervous system—i.e., that part of the autonomic nervous system that tends to induce secretion, to contract smooth muscles, and to dilate blood vessels. In preventing the destruction of acetylcholine, anticholinesterase permits high levels of this neurotransmitter to build up at the sites of its action, thus stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system and in turn slowing the heart action, lowering blood pressure, increasing secretion, and inducing contraction of the smooth muscles.

DMSO's properties are reversible, including its ability to alter protein folding and/or configuration:

1568371097461.png

The chapter is too long to quote entirely, but it is highly recommended reading.

On a separate note, DMSO is compatible with stent materials except for those experimental stents that get purposely reabsorbed in the short-term. There is preliminary research to suggest that DMSO might prolong the life of the stents:

DMSO suppresses TF expression and activity, as well as thrombus formation; in addition, it inhibits VSMC proliferation and migration. Given its routine use in modern clinical practice, we propose DMSO as a novel strategy for coating drug-eluting stents and treating acute coronary syndromes.

Gaby, my 21-month-old grandson has chikenpox (varicelle) , do you think I can put 50% diluted DMSO on his pimples ? Thank you

The book DMSO by Morton Walker is free in audiobook format on hoopla if your library participates.

I'm thinking of trying 0.5 teaspoon DMSO, 0.5 teaspoon Quinton isotonic, and 1 teaspoon sodium ascorbate.
I had this mixture sitting in a glass jar for a few days. My sodium ascorbate powder looks a white color, and over the days the mixture turned orange. I poured the whole thing on my leg to see what would happen. That night, my wife said she would get faint whiffs of the DMSO, and anything more would not be good.

Last edited:
Intramuscular might be best, since the injection is so deep there should be less skin reactions. I would have an ice pack ready though.

{snipped}
Subcutaneous injection of 10% DMSO can result in a total loss of central recognition of pain.

11 DMSO produces an analgesic effect comparable to morphine, but it is longer lasting and is not reversible by administration of naloxone. 20 Since it is not reversed by naloxone, this indicates that opiate receptors are not involved in DMSO-induced analgesia.

I was going to try DMSO/Quinton injections in my backside to help with pain. I found some 20cc sterile syringes and 25g 1" sterile needles. I was planning on starting low with .5 or 1cc of DMSO and 10 ccs of quinton water and see how that works and increase the dose if needed. From what I've read 1" is enough to get it into the muscle. Do you know if 25g is too small of a barrel for the DMSO/Quinton injection?

25cc is too much for intramuscular use, there's risk of a sterile abscess. You could do 25cc subcutaneously though.

Subcutaneously, you can put up to 1000ml in practices like percutaneous hydrotomy and depending on the anatomical area covered (i.e. 1L subcutaneously for the entire vertebral column area through 24 subcutaneous needles). But intramuscular, I would not go beyond 12cc.

There is space for 12cc in all 10cc syringes. So 0.5cc up to 1 cc of DMSO and the rest physiological solution: total of 12cc of liquid.

Quinton is not a solution that is ideal for parenteral (intramuscular or subcutaneous) use because it has marine endotoxins. There are reported cases of sepsis. Even though these cases might have been immunocompromised patients, the warning is still valid.

If you are not sure about the differences between subcutaneous and intramuscular injections, I would get help from a health care provider.

The DMSO loses its potency as it sits on open air. You have to close or seal it up.
Thanks. I had a plastic lid over the glass jar, and the whole thing was in a sealed zip lock bag. Is that ok?

Quinton is not a solution that is ideal for parenteral (intramuscular or subcutaneous) use because it has marine endotoxins.
I guess I should stop using Quinton with DMSO, because I don't want DMSO to take the marine toxin through my skin. I'll use DMSO, distilled water, and sodium ascorbate.

Back
Top Bottom