DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
But I see how one might want to wrap it up overnight to get a long exposure time.
Very imporant info:
Cutaneous administration of DMSO with occulusive bandages may cause a papillovesicular reaction which leads to inflammation and epidermal death. 37 Although these are not permanent changes, occulusive bandaging should be avoided when using topical DMSO.
Covering up the skin is not a good idea with DMSO.

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'm thinking maybe 1 teaspoon DMSO and 1 teaspoon sodium ascorbate may still be too concentrated DMSO for topical use, because where I put it the skin turns a bit pink. I'm thinking of trying 0.5 teaspoon DMSO, 0.5 teaspoon Quinton isotonic, and 1 teaspoon sodium ascorbate.

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Here's a very good review from Brayton (Cornell University), written in 1986:

It's very complete and gives a good idea of what to expect in terms of side effects. DMSO's properties are reviewed and it's important to remember any potential toxic elements you might have been exposed shortly before (or after) using DMSO. There are reported cases of death because mercury was applied shortly before a topical DMSO in a horse.

DMSO has a sedative effect and it's also a good anticholinesterase chemical. That is, acetylcholine circulates better in the body after DMSO use:

Anticholinesterase, any of several drugs that prevent destruction of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine by the enzyme acetylcholinesterase within the nervous system. Acetylcholine acts to transmit nerve impulses within the parasympathetic nervous system—i.e., that part of the autonomic nervous system that tends to induce secretion, to contract smooth muscles, and to dilate blood vessels. In preventing the destruction of acetylcholine, anticholinesterase permits high levels of this neurotransmitter to build up at the sites of its action, thus stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system and in turn slowing the heart action, lowering blood pressure, increasing secretion, and inducing contraction of the smooth muscles.
DMSO's properties are reversible, including its ability to alter protein folding and/or configuration:

1568371097461.png

The chapter is too long to quote entirely, but it is highly recommended reading.

On a separate note, DMSO is compatible with stent materials except for those experimental stents that get purposely reabsorbed in the short-term. There is preliminary research to suggest that DMSO might prolong the life of the stents:

DMSO suppresses TF expression and activity, as well as thrombus formation; in addition, it inhibits VSMC proliferation and migration. Given its routine use in modern clinical practice, we propose DMSO as a novel strategy for coating drug-eluting stents and treating acute coronary syndromes.

Top Bottom