What's the weather where you are?

Quite cloudy at dawn today (Wed, dec 15), the temperature was between 23 and 26 degrees Celsius. It looks to me an atypical December weather around here, although I have only been here in this area for the last three years, the previous years were a bit colder and calmer, this warm and rainy weather gives me the impression of being still a summer weather.
262555512_250796733815748_6381621300686574656_n.jpeg

262908714_1975118215983585_3264939299642974694_n.jpeg

Coming back north from Southern California we hit some of the storms moving along the coast and the next morning there was snow on the foothills passing through Salinas. Had to have been around 2,000-3,500ft elevation 🤔 — quite low for the area. Here’s a photo snapped from the windshield:

7A8F74B1-E6CF-4BCD-ACAE-0BD20A311481.jpeg
Currently back at home we have another atmospheric river running through - more rain and wind. Power has already gone out twice 😬

Stockholm, Sweden
16 Dec 2021

Here is has been very mild as of lately.

Yesterday the temperature reached +7.5°C (45.5°F) in the City, 8.3°C in Örebro (47°F), Gothenburg even +8.9°C (48°F) and so has Harstena (200 km SSW of Stockholm). The normal average MAX this time of the year lies around 1.3°C (34.5°F), and MIN at -2.8°C (27°F) Last night has been frost free.

In the photos below, you can see how it looks like here around 10.00 in the morning, with the sun streaking like cat's tail along the horizon (something like 7 degrees above horizon at the most). We have had a longer period of really dull, overcast gray weather for quite some time, since the mild weather took over. That makes every ray of sunshine extra welcome :flowers:

Winter underway

Very soon, it looks like that winter will swoop down from the north (also hitting East Europe) - albeit not much snow is predicted for our city up here. From Monday on (20 Dec) the temperatures in Stockholm will stay below freezing (-5°C /23°F or lower) and there is a possibility that it stays that way until new year. But weather predictions are predictions... always enjoyed *with a grain of salt*

2021-12-16 09-41-18cass.jpg

2021-12-16 09-41-28cass.jpg

Due to the extreme cold beginning of December
the ongoing average temperatures for the first 15 days are still 3.5°C below the normal [1991-2020] average.

ttmk2112.jpg

Stockholm, Sweden
22 Dec 2021 04:00

Well, our region has definitely gotten cold now, after a period of very mild temperatures.

My improperly set up thermometer says -10.5°C [13.1°F], while official weather stations show temperatures between -7.8°C [18°F] in city of Stockholm... down to -15.3°C [4.5°F] in Tullinge, an lowest with -17°C [1.4°F] in Film (80 km north of Sthlm). Arlanda airport (43 km to the north) reports -14°C [6.8°F]. In other words; there is plenty of cold up here. Sweden's coldest station Nikkaluokta reports -35.0°C [31°F], located in the extreme north of the country.

And yes, these temperatures are well below the normal averages - yet at the same time; it is an image of what it usually looks like, when you get cold air swooping down in December.

2021-12-22-at-04-00-00.jpg

Lack of snow ⛄❄️☃️

What's 'missing' right now... is snow. Not much is predicted in that direction though; If we are lucky, we may get 1 cm on Christmas Eve's morning (together with another blow of cold air entering the stage).

Well, our region has definitely gotten cold now, after a period of very mild temperatures.
Temperature this morning in Luxembourg is -6°C which is also below the average for this time of the year. I found that face masks can actually be useful for one thing :-D

The weather forecast predicts temperatures to rise in the coming days and we may end up having a rainy Christmas. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a white Christmas though.

We received our first snowfall of the year yesterday and the temps at night have gone below freezing. Looking at the weather tracker all I see for the foreseeable future is snow and freezing temps. This is not normal for the Pacific NW. It's cold and no one really knows how to drive in the snow and ice around here. Guess we will all be learning some new skills as this progresses. It's very pretty though.

Not where I am, but the wifes family.

Brazil, Salinas, Minas Gerais currently experiencing extreme rainfall. It was reported that 17cm of rainfall in one 24 hour period. Heaviest rainfall on record for 110 years...

The two blokes on the jet ski's are my wifes cousins. Big shout out to them they've spent the past few days helping people who are stuck.

Edited: to add video, the attach files didn't work

Video link: WhatsApp Video 2021-12-29 at 10.14.57.mp4

Also relevant article: Brazil floods: Dozens dead in severe Minas Gerais rainstorms

On this New Year's Eve, in this corner of the Rias Baxas, in Galicia, the sky is cloudy, the wind has been blowing for a few days, the temperatures have risen, 15° Celsius around noon.
The atmospheric pressure is currently 1020hPa.
There is a south-easterly wind of 8km/h, the wave height is on average 1.4m, with a maximum of 5.6m.
The next low tide will be at 20:04h.
The tidal coefficient is 83, and according to the solunar theory, there may be high fish activity, for possible end of year fishermen.

SD.jpg
A sunset of a different day than this one.

Here in my neck of the USA - Massachusetts, there is no snow on the ground, and none in sight at least until this weekend. The temperature outside is 45 degrees Fahrenheit with light rain. I live on the 7th floor of a complex and all my windows are open a little. The fresh air feels wonderful. Another nice way to begin the New Year. I feel very lucky and thankful that our weather here hasn't been crazy or extreme (knock wood)!!

Here in my neck of the USA - Massachusetts, there is no snow on the ground, and none in sight at least until this weekend. The temperature outside is 45 degrees Fahrenheit with light rain. I live on the 7th floor of a complex and all my windows are open a little. The fresh air feels wonderful. Another nice way to begin the New Year. I feel very lucky and thankful that our weather here hasn't been crazy or extreme (knock wood)!!
The weather pattern is the same here in Portsmouth NH. Light drizzle all day.

Back
Top Bottom