"Life Without Bread"

Approaching Infinity said:
Laura said:
Take the yolks and add 1 TBS of water for each egg, beat well. Add to the somewhat cooled chocolate (not the other way around!) whisking thoroughly as you add.

be careful about adding the chocolate to the egg yolks/water mix, not the other way...

This is a bit confusing. Should the egg yolks be added to the chocolate?

I meant to say adding the meringue to the chocolate, not the other way around. Sheesh!

mkrnhr said:
Shijing, you may beat the eggs with a fork instead, like when you prepare mayonnaise. It does not work with a spoon.

Better yet, the electric mixer. Meringue should be big, fluffy, and standing in stiff peaks.

Laura said:
mkrnhr said:
Shijing, you may beat the eggs with a fork instead, like when you prepare mayonnaise. It does not work with a spoon.

Better yet, the electric mixer. Meringue should be big, fluffy, and standing in stiff peaks.

OK, thanks for the tips -- I've never beaten eggs before :whistle: That would explain why I started with egg white soup, and ended with egg white soup (with bubbles on top)! At least it wasn't a complete wreck -- I didn't get mousse, but it still made pretty good pudding (since I can't find cocoa butter anywhere, I also used birk's idea of substituting coconut oil, and that seemed to work out pretty well too).

I just watched this video and I found it to give a good overall, very broad view of the problems related to gluten and grains. It goes into some detail but it mainly gives a big picture of the things we have discussed in this thread and others. It does not specifically address fruits and vegetables but it seems that the author's intention is to explain why people that stop eating wheat are usually not able to resolve their problems - that is, because they are eating other grains that also make them sick. Since he mentions the effects of insulin and antinutrients, it could be easily extrapolated to fruits and vegetables. Unfortunetly there is no discussion on the benefits of animal meat and fats.

At the end he even mentions very briefly that grains reduce vitamin C uptake and cause loss of magnesium. Maybe it is a good video for us to send to our loved ones so they can begin to understand the problems with eating grains. It may also be a good idea to post it on SOTT (there is already a SOTT post today from the author - Dr. Peter Osborne).

_http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/videotutorials/what-is-gluten-sensitivity-an-easy-explanation-to-avoid-all-the-confusion/

Courageous Inmate Sort said:
I just watched this video and I found it to give a good overall, very broad view of the problems related to gluten and grains. It goes into some detail but it mainly gives a big picture of the things we have discussed in this thread and others. It does not specifically address fruits and vegetables but it seems that the author's intention is to explain why people that stop eating wheat are usually not able to resolve their problems - that is, because they are eating other grains that also make them sick. Since he mentions the effects of insulin and antinutrients, it could be easily extrapolated to fruits and vegetables. Unfortunetly there is no discussion on the benefits of animal meat and fats.

At the end he even mentions very briefly that grains reduce vitamin C uptake and cause loss of magnesium. Maybe it is a good video for us to send to our loved ones so they can begin to understand the problems with eating grains. It may also be a good idea to post it on SOTT (there is already a SOTT post today from the author - Dr. Peter Osborne).

_http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/videotutorials/what-is-gluten-sensitivity-an-easy-explanation-to-avoid-all-the-confusion/

Yep, SOTT has been tracking Dr. Osborne's work for a while: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/214322-What-is-gluten-intolerance-

Kniall said:
Yep, SOTT has been tracking Dr. Osborne's work for a while: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/214322-What-is-gluten-intolerance-

Thank you Kniall, silly me to not check the SOTT archives... if it is important it's probably already there!

edit:grammar

My 15 year old son is having a hard time with this transition. He just told me ( I had to ask first) that his mind is foggy. He finds the game he usually plays difficult now. He is constipated, low in energy, did not want to eat any meat, nor fish, nor eggs today. He had some meat in his soup/broth today, but that is it. He had a sweet potato with butter and then started eating peanut butter.

He drinks ginger tea and takes fish oil and some vit. C.

Should I start thinking of giving him L-glutamine? And some enzymes or ox bile?

Would it be better to cut down on all the carbs now, since he is still having cravings. He still wants pancakes and bread and chocolate.

I am not sure what to do next, he is clearly not his usual self. Normally, he is quite easy-going.
Thanks for reading.

Mariama said:
I am not sure what to do next, he is clearly not his usual self. Normally, he is quite easy-going.
Thanks for reading.

If you have read the whole thread here, you would have read about numerous people going through this because of changing too much too fast. Yes, it can be done if you want to get on with it rapidly, but you have to know how to compensate.

Trying to change too much too fast.

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND THE RECOMMENDED BOOKS BEFORE INSTITUTING CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE OR THE LIVES OF YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that, here is a simple plan that I came up with for a friend of mine.

Step one, Day 1:
remove all gluten from your diet. All grains contain some amounts of gluten. The worst is wheat and the least bad is rice. So you can keep rice for a period of transition, say 10 days. After 10 days, ALL grains should be eliminated totally. Not even so-called “gluten free” breads are safe. This is hard, of course, but you can fill the gap by eating more vegetables and meats. Eat your vegetables with plenty of real butter on them (no additives). Eat meats with fat on them and eat the fat. This is an essential part of the cure. Start your day with bacon and eggs or ham and eggs and eat all you want.

Do this for TEN DAYS and then move to step two.

Step two, day 11: After 10 days, cut out rice and all beans (except haricot vert) completely. You should now be having no grains at all, in any form, in your diet. Read labels on everything. If there is a single word pertaining to a grain product, do NOT eat it. Continue to eat plenty of vegetables and meats with all the fat and added butter. Do not use cooking sprays, cook with duck fat.

Do this additional step for the next TEN DAYS. Then move to step three.

Step three, day 21: Remove all sugars from the diet. This includes all fruits. Do not replace this with any foods containing artificial sweeteners because they are excitotoxins and cause great harm. The only sweeteners allowed are xylitol, sorbitol, stevia. No honey, no corn syrup, NO forms of sugar at all. You can drink tea or coffee with xylitol and that will help with cravings. Increase your fat intake. The fat on beef, pork, duck, is good. You can continue to eat most vegetables. (Make sure that you use only olive oil and vinegar on salads; no commercial dressings.

Do this additional step for TEN DAYS.

Step four, day 31: Remove all dairy products except butter from the diet. All nuts, too. At this point, you will be eating only meat and vegetables. You should eat more cooked vegetables than raw (salad), and eat them with plenty of butter.

I've left dairy to this point because it can sometimes ease the issues that removing gluten creates.

Step five, day 41: Stop coffee; you can have green or black or mint teas. Gradually reduce the quantity of vegetables that you eat and fill the gap with meat and meat fats. This means that if you eat a piece of meat, it should have almost as much fat on it as lean. You can eat as much meat as you want, but be sparing with vegetables, giving preference to cooked ones over raw.

I suggest getting a bottle of L-Carnitine or Acetyl-L-Carnitine. If you feel weakness or lack of energy for no good reason, I suggest you take one right away and another in a half hour or so. For me, this was almost like turning on a light switch and my energy returned quickly.

Laura said:
Mariama said:
Thanks for reading.

If you have read the whole thread here, you would have read about numerous people going through this because of changing too much too fast. Yes, it can be done if you want to get on with it rapidly, but you have to know how to compensate.

Trying to change too much too fast.

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND THE RECOMMENDED BOOKS BEFORE INSTITUTING CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE OR THE LIVES OF YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that, here is a simple plan that I came up with for a friend of mine.

Step one, Day 1:
remove all gluten from your diet. All grains contain some amounts of gluten. The worst is wheat and the least bad is rice. So you can keep rice for a period of transition, say 10 days. After 10 days, ALL grains should be eliminated totally. Not even so-called “gluten free” breads are safe. This is hard, of course, but you can fill the gap by eating more vegetables and meats. Eat your vegetables with plenty of real butter on them (no additives). Eat meats with fat on them and eat the fat. This is an essential part of the cure. Start your day with bacon and eggs or ham and eggs and eat all you want.

Do this for TEN DAYS and then move to step two.

Step two, day 11: After 10 days, cut out rice and all beans (except haricot vert) completely. You should now be having no grains at all, in any form, in your diet. Read labels on everything. If there is a single word pertaining to a grain product, do NOT eat it. Continue to eat plenty of vegetables and meats with all the fat and added butter. Do not use cooking sprays, cook with duck fat.

Do this additional step for the next TEN DAYS. Then move to step three.

Step three, day 21: Remove all sugars from the diet. This includes all fruits. Do not replace this with any foods containing artificial sweeteners because they are excitotoxins and cause great harm. The only sweeteners allowed are xylitol, sorbitol, stevia. No honey, no corn syrup, NO forms of sugar at all. You can drink tea or coffee with xylitol and that will help with cravings. Increase your fat intake. The fat on beef, pork, duck, is good. You can continue to eat most vegetables. (Make sure that you use only olive oil and vinegar on salads; no commercial dressings.

Do this additional step for TEN DAYS.

Step four, day 31: Remove all dairy products except butter from the diet. All nuts, too. At this point, you will be eating only meat and vegetables. You should eat more cooked vegetables than raw (salad), and eat them with plenty of butter.

I've left dairy to this point because it can sometimes ease the issues that removing gluten creates.

Step five, day 41: Stop coffee; you can have green or black or mint teas. Gradually reduce the quantity of vegetables that you eat and fill the gap with meat and meat fats. This means that if you eat a piece of meat, it should have almost as much fat on it as lean. You can eat as much meat as you want, but be sparing with vegetables, giving preference to cooked ones over raw.

Laura, I think this plan is the best I have seen so far, although this thread is wonderful and the books I have read so far (LWB and PBPM) are equally brilliant. But I need a plan. I have proceeded too quickly myself, as I made a mistake calculating carbohydrates. I do not suffer from severe physical symptoms. My problem is on a cognitive level, as I have said before. I find it hard to see the whole picture. That is why this plan is more helpful than anything else (for starters).

I can see why my oldest child is fairly miserable. I shouldn't have ditched the apple juice first together with gluten and cheese. That was way too much, although my youngest child seems to handle it with only a few mishaps. But he is much sturdier.
So I go back to step one, where we have already eliminated gluten, but where they can still eat some rice and mashed potatoes with blue cheese.

I showed this plan to my eldest, as he does not wish to read the books. He said that he still did not understand the importance of fat, so I showed him some cartoons in PBPM. Am not sure whether this helps...

Curious Richard, I have started giving him some acetyl l-carnitine. Thanks!

Mariama said:
I showed this plan to my eldest, as he does not wish to read the books. He said that he still did not understand the importance of fat, so I showed him some cartoons in PBPM. Am not sure whether this helps...

You can perhaps tell him that there are basically two main fuel sources, carbohydrates and fat, that fat is by far the most efficient, and that carbohydrates are associated with all sorts of long term problems. These are mainly prevalent in today's society which is carb dependant. Once you take carbs out (which you have been doing with him), you have to increase the intake of the other fuel source.

It's good to know I'm not the only one struggling with my kid's diet! My 3yr old's dad is not at all on board with the paleo thing, and as much as I've been trying to at least increase her fat intake, and give her healthier options when we have them, it's been impossible to avoid wheat and dairy, since she's in his care during the day. And then there's her grandmothers, who are constantly giving her yogurt and such...
I had a small victory the other day, though, when I was making bone broth from our Thanksgiving turkey- I tore one of the legs off and she got really excited and asked for the "fluffy part." She thought the white bone was fat like on bacon! :lol:

has anyone else wondered about the possible correlation between the name "Gluten" ('Glue-Ten')
and this quote from The Wave (chapter 23):

Q: (L) Okay, so this realm changed, as a part of the cycle; various choices were made: the human race went through the door after the gold, so to speak, and became aligned with the fourth density STS faction after the right-brain/female energy consorted with the wrong side, so to speak. This resulted in a number of effects: the breaking up of the DNA, the burning off of the first ten factors of DNA, the separation of the hemispheres of the brain…

A: Only reason for this: you play in the dirt, you’re gonna get dirty.

Q: (L) What was the motivating factor for playing in the dirt? What essential thing occurred? You said once that it was “desire-based imbalance”. What was it a desire for?

A: Increased physicality.

i don't mean to make this sound ominous or anything,
just trying to connect the dots..

and then there's also this one (from chapter eight):
Q: (L) Going along with that statement, not too long ago I asked a question about the purpose of this group and the answer was that if we knew, or, more specifically if I knew, I would become “unglued”. Was that meant literally?

A: Oh, yes certainly. Every single bone in your body is going to unglue itself from every other.

anyone feel the two might be related ?

I've just finished reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a good read with plenty of data over many years to back it up.

I tried to interest a couple of friends, as one is obese with a kidney problem and the other has signed herself up to a slimming company for years, they could see the benefits of some things but the saturated fat information was not to be believed, so back to sleep they went with their cheescake dessert.

So far I've made a list of foods I like within the Paleo diet and have basically got a daily menu down to around 70 carbs, by using the carb values in the book and packet labels. I don't really have a problem with repetitive food as I have never lived to eat, but I do have a sweet tooth and like the odd glass of red wine unfortunately.

I'm slowly going to read the whole of this thread, and the same for The Vegetarian Myth which I have just started on the book.

transientP said:
has anyone else wondered about the possible correlation between the name "Gluten" ('Glue-Ten')
and this quote from The Wave (chapter 23):

<snip>

i don't mean to make this sound ominous or anything,
just trying to connect the dots..

and then there's also this one (from chapter eight):
<snip>

anyone feel the two might be related ?

Personally I don't see any relationship, nor do I understand how the relationship you see transientP, can sound ominous.... :huh:

Back
Top Bottom