"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
One goodie that kids can take with them and eat is meringues sweetened with xylitol. Chocolate ones are nice, too. Just beat the egg whites until stiff, add xylitol and beat it in, add cocoa powder if you want chocolate ones, a bit of vanilla. Spoon onto a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Put in a hot oven, turn the oven off, and leave them there overnight.

You could also make them with ground nuts folded in, or grated coconut. That way, your child has a terrific goodie that is not harmful in any way, and looks yummy. Other kids will want them too!

Recently, I made cookies for Ark using ground cashews and coconut as the flour, meringue as the binder/fluffer. They were outrageously good.

Thank you for the idea, Laura! I was planning on making mayonnaise this weekend and was wondering what to do with the egg whites :)

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Thanks for the ideas, Laura. I make meringues once in a while, but I had not thought of adding cocoa powder.
What we do make regularly are wafels made with eggs, coconut milk, almond flour, xylitol and vanilla. They are very good and you're quickly full with them! I also tried Gedgaudas' chocolate dessert recipe in Primal body, Primal mind (at the very end of the book) and it is very rich and satisfying while being packed with fats.
Yesterday, as we were discussing all this with Tigersoap, I told him I should try a chocolate mousse soon, his face lit up and all he could say was: 'When? When?' :lol: So I think that's going to be on the menu soon as well..

Thanks!

Chocolate mousse is both simple AND a bit tricky.

I make the chocolate with cocoa powder, half cocoa butter and half regular butter. 1 TBSP each for each egg. Melt butter on double boiler, add cocoa, mix thoroughly, take off the heat and set aside.

Make meringue with the whites, add 1.5 tsp xylitol for each egg; pinch of salt, vanilla. Set aside.

Take the yolks and add 1 TBS of water for each egg, beat well. Add to the somewhat cooled chocolate (not the other way around!) whisking thoroughly as you add. The chocolate will thicken rapidly so beat fast! If it is too thick, add a little more water.

Then take about 1/4 of the meringue and fold it carefully into the chocolate - not the reverse. When that is well folded - GENTLY! - then add the rest and fold it in carefully. I use a big spatula to do this.

Then put in the fridge for about 4 hours at least.

It is actually easy enough to make whenever you want, but be careful about adding the egg yolks to the chocolate not the other way around. And adding the chocolate to the meringue not the other way... mixing a bit of the meringue with the chocolate and adding the rest after that bit is thoroughly folded in... I learned by screwing it up that these two things are really important!

Chocolate mousse is both simple AND a bit tricky.

I make the chocolate with cocoa powder, half cocoa butter and half regular butter. 1 TBSP each for each egg. Melt butter on double boiler, add cocoa, mix thoroughly, take off the heat and set aside.

Make meringue with the whites, add 1.5 tsp xylitol for each egg; pinch of salt, vanilla. Set aside.

Take the yolks and add 1 TBS of water for each egg, beat well. Add to the somewhat cooled chocolate (not the other way around!) whisking thoroughly as you add. The chocolate will thicken rapidly so beat fast! If it is too thick, add a little more water.

Then take about 1/4 of the meringue and fold it carefully into the chocolate - not the reverse. When that is well folded - GENTLY! - then add the rest and fold it in carefully. I use a big spatula to do this.

Then put in the fridge for about 4 hours at least.

It is actually easy enough to make whenever you want, but be careful about adding the chocolate to the egg yolks/water mix, not the other way... and then mixing a bit of the meringue with the chocolate and adding the rest after that bit is thoroughly folded in... not the other way around. I learned by screwing it up that these two things are really important!

Thank you and thank you Laura for these super sweet recipes. Instead of helping me at resolving equation, it could as well provide me of an excellent fuel for the well overdue cleanup of my floor :headbash:... I´m on very low carbs since three months and by reading these recipes, I happily got aware there still are desserts to be added to the list in a near future!

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Thank you for taking the time to explain, Laura. :)

I figured that you probably know how to make it, but not everybody does. Plus, I have adjusted it so that it doesn't have any evil stuff in there!

Laura said:
Mrs.Tigersoap said:

I figured that you probably know how to make it, but not everybody does. Plus, I have adjusted it so that it doesn't have any evil stuff in there!

I didn`t, but now I do :) Thanks a lot for sharing Laura! When I made it yesterday I replaced the cocoa butter with coconut oil, it worked fine. It was the best chocolate mousse I have ever tasted :)

birk said:
Laura said:
Mrs.Tigersoap said:

I didn`t, but now I do :) Thanks a lot for sharing Laura! When I made it yesterday I replaced the cocoa butter with coconut oil, it worked fine. It was the best chocolate mousse I have ever tasted :)

Good to know! And that's a good way to get some coconut oil into the body!

It really IS simple, you just have to follow a couple of steps in the right order for it to work right.

Laura said:
birk said:
Laura said:
Mrs.Tigersoap said:

Good to know! And that's a good way to get some coconut oil into the body!

It really IS simple, you just have to follow a couple of steps in the right order for it to work right.

Really thanks for the receipt, it is indeed pretty easy and tastes delicious!! :)

Also when I confused TBSP with TSP, nonetheless with this measuring-system it was perfect and preferred it also, cause with more cocoa it could get a little bitter imo. And it is also possible to do it with stevia (it's guesswork then) and I didn't use extra water then, so that it is more sticky. All in all everybody who ate it, really enjoyed it. :D

I have now eliminated sugar, honey and diary and gluten from the diet from my children and diary from my partner's (which is a big thing for him). My partner drank one litre of milk every day. No wonder he has trouble speaking sometimes. :shock:

They both have had one day when they were really upset about the change. It has been harder on my eldest. He is really slender and he has lost at least 5 kilos, because he doesn't like water. Thank DCM he likes ginger, so I make him ginger tea with some xylitol and I give him him some extra ascorbic acid, which means he has to drink more.
I will start filtering some water for him, as he doesn't like our mineral water in glass bottles. And add a bit of salt. Maybe that will help.
Yesterday after his paper round he was really tired and his joints and back were aching. So his energy is still low.
To my amazement he cut off a chunk of butter (50 grammes or so) the other day and had it with his meat. :O
Butter or gravy and vegetables together gave him stomach ache. But he does tolerate onions, fried in butter.

They love their breakfast/brunch. Beforehand, they made their own, a sandwich with cheese and meat. But now I fry them some eggs, sausage and sweet potato in butter. Especially my youngest is radiant. I also make him some tea with xylitol in the morning when he wakes up.
As I am still looking for ways to increase fat to their diet I have decided to give them lots of sausage for now. Not too much protein and lots of fat. They do not like my broth. And I have found that too much lard in my broth gives me diarrhea.

I have bought some fresh coconut and olives and hazel nuts for them, if they wish to have a snack. My eldest also snacked on some sardines the other day, when he was really low and hungry, with the fat. Things are looking brighter.
It is early days yet, but they seem more satiated, now that we are all adjusting. My youngest always had some sandwiches before he went to bed, as he was always complaining about being hungry. These past few days I haven't heard him say that. :)
He experimented with coco powder, xylitol and coconut the other day, as he wanted to make dessert. I thought that was a real positive sign.

Edit:
Forgot to mention we have one big advantage, I think. During these past few years we had already started eating more meat and fish, at least five times a week. And we never followed a low-fat diet, as we ate lots of cheese and peanut butter. And sometimes butter and cream. And of course, they have never had coffee or alcohol. :D

HI well I have changed my diet for the last 2 months, no processed foods, dairy , bread and pasta and I've seen a big change in my awareness , weight and emotions. It was difficult at first but the benefits out weigh the convenience . I came across a video on you tube " Sugar the Bitter Truth " its 1 and 1/2 hours long and it really hit home.... then i tried the paleo diet went cold turkey off everything...............basically forget everything you were taught about food . I will never drink pop again or eat anything with fructose/glucose again I feel soooo much better and tell everyone about it. Its like I'm waking up finally............really waking up. ;D

chili said:
...basically forget everything you were taught about food...

Ain't that the truth. And then learn again.

What we are finding here is not necessarily the last word on the subject either but I can see, personally, that I am moving in the right direction. That didn't happen when I tried vegan (though I did go partly blind in one eye by some coincidence), and it really didn't happen when I tried low fat (I nearly died, twice). Not everything has improved for me, yet, but two of the more critical problems, hypoglycemia and weight gain, are resolved.

Laura said:
Take the yolks and add 1 TBS of water for each egg, beat well. Add to the somewhat cooled chocolate (not the other way around!) whisking thoroughly as you add.

be careful about adding the chocolate to the egg yolks/water mix, not the other way...

This is a bit confusing. Should the egg yolks be added to the chocolate?

Approaching Infinity said:
Laura said:
Take the yolks and add 1 TBS of water for each egg, beat well. Add to the somewhat cooled chocolate (not the other way around!) whisking thoroughly as you add.

FWIW I followed the first description and it did work out that way. ;)

Approaching Infinity said:

I tried making this yesterday, and ended up deciding to do it the first way too -- adding the egg yolks to the chocolate -- and it seems to have turned out fine.

One thing I didn't do right is the meringue -- I tried beating the egg whites by hand with a spoon, but I wasn't able to get them to harden into meringue. Either you need an electric mixer for that, or maybe I was using the wrong thing to beat them with. It ended up having more of a pudding-like consistency than mousse for that reason (still very good), but that's something I need to do differently next time.

Shijing, you may beat the eggs with a fork instead, like when you prepare mayonnaise. It does not work with a spoon.

Back
Top Bottom