How to deal with Fear?

Leo40

Jedi Master
I have noticed recently that some members of this forum are caught up in the fear mongering of
the PTB. We all understand intellectually that fear is used as a major part of the control system.
I have searched the forum but did not find any specific discussion on how to deal with fear.
It is very difficult to maintain the observer mode when facing imminent destruction of the body.
This "fear bombardment" by the PTB will most likely increase in the near future therefore
it would be helpful to share experiences.
My personal experience when exploring fear is first of all to find the root of it and then not to
fight it, which only gives energy to the fear, but to counter balance it.
This is very difficult because fear paralizes the mental processes.

Leo40 said:
My personal experience when exploring fear is first of all to find the root of it and then not to
fight it, which only gives energy to the fear, but to counter balance it.

Counterbalance it how, and with what exactly?

mmmmmmmm, A timely post for me , Thanks!
Fear has tried to be my main emotion for the last few weeks. I say tried because for the first time since my "moral bankruptcy" I was able to control it. I did not let it control me and I did not identify with it, YEA! I finally realized in the core of my being that "I" am not afraid however my predator is terrified and desperate!
Your explanation of counter balancing is priceless. Of course don't fight it, duh, what was i thinking?
Would you mind giving some specific examples of how to go about it? I guess I've been doing something right but it would be nice to have several options.
I see Enaid posted while I was typing so I will ask again, what methods work for you to counter balance it?

I remembered some text snippets from Mouravieff:

p. 33 Gnosis II said:
The life of exterior man's psyche has hardly changed since the cycle of the Father: it is still ruled by fear, hunger and sex, the three principal drives of the General Law

Fear as Mouravieff explained is a reaction of the moving center (so not really an emotion), which could get explained with mobilization as Purges (Polyvagal theory) discussed it: fight or flight. The sympathetic nervous system provides energy for this mobilization and fear is a survival signal. In light of Purges, we cannot be able to think clearly cause our main energy is drained for muscles and not the thinking part, which is active when we are relaxed.

It is important to have fear, that our stress responses really respond, but it is important that we react on real -fear/stress- motives and that is crux imo, to decipher what is a real threat and what not.

IMO the best solution is, or simply a way, to network about ones fears and to breath correctly, using EE as a tool (to activate the parasympathetic nervous system: brain)

My two cents.

Leo40 said:
My personal experience when exploring fear is first of all to find the root of it and then not to fight it, which only gives energy to the fear, but to counter balance it.
This is very difficult because fear paralizes the mental processes.

And what is/are the roots of your fear/s?

Legolas said:
I remembered some text snippets from Mouravieff:

p. 33 Gnosis II said:

It is important to have fear, that our stress responses really respond, but it is important that we react on real -fear/stress- motives and that is crux imo, to decipher what is a real threat and what not.

IMO the best solution is, or simply a way, to network about ones fears and to breath correctly, using EE as a tool (to activate the parasympathetic nervous system: brain)....

this makes sense but what about the times when fear is present without any apparent cause? There are times when I have felt an engulfing sense of fear in general with no thoughts attached and nothing threatening going on. I try to find the cause but there is simply not one. At times I thought I was empathetically picking up on someone else's fear and this could be true as well as the possibility that I am being psychically attacked. Is there a way to balance without knowing the root of it?

edited*fixed quote boxes

That's what I do with fear:

1) Be always sure fear only will end when I can accept that what I fear, can happen.
2) Find a way to endure fear feelings till I can accept that fact (Using EE or any other good form of breathing Ki); That, must stop any wishful thinking (or aims of it) without going crazy for that (Because here, as always, wishful thinking is only a form of autohipnosis).

And regarding (2):

a) Be always sure that if I can not beat fear just when it starts, I will stay in (2) who knows how much time; The moment (2) will end, always will be out of my control.
b) Find consolation on the fact that the time enduring (2) will make me grow stronger than I am now (Sadly, only in the end). This, up the point that this is the only reward for the time and energy spent on fighting fear.
c) Never forget that fear only makes sense if it makes me act minimizing the risk of what I fear can happen; The rest of it is rubbish.
d) Be always ready to fight fear because when that "who" produce fear wants to do it, "he" will find a reason in almost any situation.

I think b) and d) are related to the reasons we are in a forum like this one; And yes, for me too these last weeks are weeks with way too much (2) time.

@Enaid: What you counter balance your fear with depends on the root of the fear.

The dominant root is physiological, i.e. originating in the body, and serves a purpose
like all other instinctual survival reflexes. Breathing helps to get over the initial paralysis
and determine if there is a real cause and what action is required.
Of course if you are driving and perceive an imminent accident your response is mostly
automatic. It helps to mentally exercise various situations beforehand so responses are available.

Then we have the imaginary fears. These originate largely from parental influences and
the consensus reality. Examples: fear of sickness, fear of job loss, and numerous others
dealing with the perceived and transmitted ideas how life should be.

Then there are more diffuse fears. We might call them "fear complexes".
What comes to mind is fear of change. This can have multiple roots depending on the life
experience of the individual. The same could be said of the fear of the unknown.

I remember the time during and after the war (WW2) when I was 5 years old. Most experiences
I took as kind of an adventure because I could not understand the real thread. I did not like
and was afraid of being dragged in the middle of the night into the cellar because of a bombing
raid. Especially having a gas mask pulled over my head.

During my life I made an effort to expose myself to unknown and uncomfortable situations.
Being somewhat introverted and shy I auditioned at an amateur theater group while at university.
They accepted me and I enjoyed it so much that my studies became secondary which I do not regret.
I was saved from the mindbending experience of academia!

Legolas said:
Fear as Mouravieff explained is a reaction of the moving center (so not really an emotion), which could get explained with mobilization as Purges (Polyvagal theory) discussed it: fight or flight. The sympathetic nervous system provides energy for this mobilization and fear is a survival signal. In light of Purges, we cannot be able to think clearly cause our main energy is drained for muscles and not the thinking part, which is active when we are relaxed.

Yes and now? As I understand the concept, there is NO fear IF and as long one can fight or flee - you just fight or run away. Fear comes with immobilization, especially when prolonged. Levine writes:

It can be said that the experience of fear derives from the primitive responses to threat where escape is thwarted (i.e., in some way—actual or perceived—prevented or conflicted).' Contrary to what you might expect, when one's primary responses of fight-or-flight (or other protective actions) are executed freely, one does not necessarily experience fear, but rather the pure and powerful, primary sensations of fighting or fleeing. Recall, the response to threat involves an initial mobilization to fight or flee. It is only when that response fails that it "defaults" to one's freezing or being "scared stiff" or to collapsing helplessly.

L said:

This type of fear we talk about here is fed by imagination. You [general "you"] imagine some dark, dangerous future and wind up your fear. The problem is, there is no imminent threat to your existence, there is nothing to fight with or flee from. The body and mind get confused, trapped with an impossible task - to deal with an enemy that isn't there. As an old saying goes, that's like paying interests of a credit not taking yet.

Paraphrasing Levine's thoughts: "Fear" simply does not really exist as an independent entity. The actual acute fear that occurs at the time of a traumatic event, of course, does not exist now. What happens, however, is that one provokes and perpetuates a fear state (one literally frightens oneself) and becomes one's own self-imposed predator. What is frightening is our imagination and imaginary resistance to feeling paralyzed or enraged. And that which we resist persists. We might best heed the words of the 1960s jug band Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks: "It's me I'm afraid of ... I won't scare myself."

But it's all not that easy. We do have imagination, we can "see" (sometimes accurately, sometimes not) upcoming danger. How not to feed fear? There are a few things you can do, I think. First off, you can ask yourself how accurate your reading instrument is, and work on tuning it in (best, with the network's help). Next, try to live in the present. What can you do? Thinking about yourself only doesn't help much. But when you shift your focus (stop internal consideration) and begin to think of what you can do for OTHERS, things usually change dramatically. That's the best way I know to counterbalance fear, or negative emotions in general.

Levine again:

Trauma could appropriately be called a disorder in one's capacity to be grounded in present time and to engage, appropriately, with other human beings. Along with the restoration of dynamic equilibrium, the capacity for presence, for being in "the here and now," becomes a reality. This occurs along with the desire and capacity for embodied social engagement. The capacity for social engagement has powerful consequences for health and happiness. ...

In addition, the social engagement system is intrinsically self-calming and is, therefore, built-in protection against one's organism being "hijacked" by the sympathetic arousal system and/or frozen into submission by the more primitive emergency shutdown system. The social engagement branch of the nervous system is probably both cardio-protective and immuno-protective. ...

And, finally, to be engaged in the social world is not only to be engaged in the here and now, but also to feel a sense of both belonging and safety.

Fear originates in the motor-instinctive center. It is great natures way of detecting and evading danger. We would not exist without the anger and fear response of a mobilized polyvagal system. However, when "I" identify with this function of the instinctive-motor center "I" am lost. It is necessary to bring three centers together as "I" to play our roles in life, in spite of fear. I need an aim or purpose to maintain order of the functions.

When fear appears, "I" acknowledge the legitimacy of this instinctive-motor function. Then the triggering event is internally analyzed by the self-other function of the emotional center and the thinking center analyzes the information in the memory and logic banks. Is the fear triggered from a real external threat or is it a memory of a past event or imagination of a future event that is mistaken for real? I must be present in the moment of fear with all three functions guided by a greater aim or purpose to act with conscious effort. This is voluntary suffering and conscious labor. I follow my aim in spite of fear. Knowledge and EE prepare the ground, but it is aim alone that weakens identification with fear over time, with persistent effort.

I recently struggled to calm a triggered fear response over a week's time. It was a long week and I could not stop the fear, but I can act if I have an aim greater than the motive force of fear. Knowledge of predators and EE pipe breathing helped stabilize the presence of "I". The body learns by patient training that it is not in charge of "I", but its role is respected. I think this is what Gurdjieff meant when he said the inner wolf and the sheep must be alive together in the inner man. When the sheep lie down with the lion in the inner man, we have mastered fear.

A heart transmutation maybe?
Maybe it just wants to pour out of your heart, if you do EE maybe is a repressed feeling. What I do with my fear or similar emotions is not to avoid them, but to find the root of it what thing it causes my fear, and let heart be absorbed my the feeling, kind maintaining it there, but no manifesting it in my mind or behavior, just let my heart feel the fear. Then it just go away by magic.

Brunauld said:
Maybe it just wants to pour out of your heart, if you do EE maybe is a repressed feeling. What I do with my fear or similar emotions is not to avoid them, but to find the root of it what thing it causes my fear, and let heart be absorbed my the feeling, kind maintaining it there, but no manifesting it in my mind or behavior, just let my heart feel the fear. Then it just go away by magic.
Does this work if one cannot find the root of it? Just letting the heart feel it without any analyses of it? I have not tried this. If I don't know the root cause it seems to make me more afraid and I try to fight it, which I see is pointless.

opossum said:
Brunauld said:
Does this work if one cannot find the root of it? Just letting the heart feel it without any analyses of it? I have not tried this. If I don't know the root cause it seems to make me more afraid and I try to fight it, which I see is pointless.

Question for you Opossum, and everyone here- above you said that you feel fear in your heart. I personally feel fear in my solar plexus ( navel area). If I focus on it and deem there is no immediate threat it will subside. Do you feel fear where your heart actually is? I am only asking because I notice the difference of location here.

opossum said:
Brunauld said:

I wrote to find the root of the feeling. Maybe I didn't write it well. But of course, find the root and face the feeling, there should be a reason for my feeling, and maybe it would be that beaming lot of people is talking about.

Possibility of Being said:
[...]

But it's all not that easy. We do have imagination, we can "see" (sometimes accurately, sometimes not) upcoming danger. How not to feed fear? There are a few things you can do, I think. First off, you can ask yourself how accurate your reading instrument is, and work on tuning it in (best, with the network's help). Next, try to live in the present. What can you do? Thinking about yourself only doesn't help much. But when you shift your focus (stop internal consideration) and begin to think of what you can do for OTHERS, things usually change dramatically. That's the best way I know to counterbalance fear, or negative emotions in general.

[...]

Thanks PoB, that was a really insightful post. I was going to write something similar to the above. Sometimes, when I'm stuck thinking about a situation that provokes fear, it can help to write out the facts or what is known, trying as best as I can to eliminate any imaginary or hypothetical parts to the fear. Sometimes I just see a bunch of contradictory statements, which can be an interesting exercise to sort through. Other times just writing out the facts can sometimes lead to a solution of whatever problem/fear I'm stuck on. Of course, if this process still doesn't work, and I'm still stuck, consulting with a network becomes necessary. ;)

Back
Top Bottom