Melatonin

Mr. Premise said:
Medulin said:
I've taken anything
between 3 mg and 1000 mg. :-[
I'm on 5 mg (time release type) right now.
What happened when you took 1000 mg?
Maybe a knock out, sleeping 20 hours?. Yes, it would be interesting if you Medulin could share that information.
Is a huge amount. Although I read somewhere that the body only uses what it needs and discard the rest of melatonin. Such large quantities could also assist in the daily task of cleaning the organism of tumors and to chelate heavy metals (as it's used in orthomolecular medicine).

l apprenti de forgeron said:
Mr. Premise said:
Medulin said:
I've taken anything
between 3 mg and 1000 mg. :-[
I'm on 5 mg (time release type) right now.
What happened when you took 1000 mg?
Maybe a knock out, sleeping 20 hours?. Yes, it would be interesting if you Medulin could share that information.
Is a huge amount. Although I read somewhere that the body only uses what it needs and discard the rest of melatonin. Such large quantities could also assist in the daily task of cleaning the organism of tumors and to chelate heavy metals (as it's used in orthomolecular medicine).

I guess it was just a typo :) and it meant 10 mg

I've found 6mg (2x 3mg) tablets works best for me. It's been great for getting back into a normal sleeping cycle after working night shifts. I've not tried the sublingual form.

Immersion said:
I've found 6mg (2x 3mg) tablets works best for me. It's been great for getting back into a normal sleeping cycle after working night shifts. I've not tried the sublingual form.

Good to hear you've had success with melatonin after having to readjust to night time sleeping, Immersion.

FWIW, I've taken both capsule and sublingual forms and have much faster and better results with the sublingual version. I'm able to take half as much of sublingual as I would need of capsule formula and get the same results.

I've started to take 1 mg capsule of melatonin before going to sleep (for 2 months and still taking) and i can say that i feel great honestly,since i also working during night shifts i noticed an imbalance and some hypersensibility toward stress,irritability,but since i've started to take melatonin i'm sleeping better ,i'm more relaxed when i'm waking up and other positive changes ,so yes i will continue taking melatonin and i will advice it to other especially to all who are working during night shifts or have problems with sleep,you just have to find what amount of melatonin your body is needing and to keep to take melatonin daily and you will notice the changes.

Hello Everyone:

I've been taken 5 mg every evening, and it has helped me to get some good rest, before i was not able to, because sometimes I get back pain which not allowed me to get some rest, but with 5 mg, I don't even feel the pain and I wake up very refresh... :)

Regards.

I can't say melatonin does anything to relieve my pain - magnesium helps me here - but it certainly is the only supplement i've found thus far that i can (kind of) rely on. I have chronic insomnia which has eased up with the diet and EE etc.. but still i think i've got about 6 months to go before i can say i'm clear of any inflammation, which i think is part of the issue.

I started with 3mg last year and have stuck with the Natrol 5mg time release - can't say if the TR helps any, probably does. And i didn't think it would really work but once i ran out i realised that actually, even if it's just that it helps me wake up in the morning, and it really does. it's a necessity for me. I'm a night owl so i think it's probably helping reset my system, as you say Immersion, and for me after a lifetime of atrocious sleeping habits, i understand It's been used for years by fly attendants for that reason, I think the other trick was to skip the meal and eat again at 'a set meal time' because apparently the gut can reset your circadian rhythm more effectively than anything else.

One last thing: this idea that melatonin can do something to your dreaming; almost as soon as i started taking it i began to have vivid erotic dreams! I was transitioning on Keto and waking up every 2 hours (urinate) as well as dealing with these dreams. I'm fairly sure they happened across the board - ie. in a lucid state but also in REM (but i can't be 100% sure). Anyway, it still can have that effect if i feel the need to take 10mg worth, or restart after running out.

I did hear a talk with Dave Asprey where he said that anything over 3mg is too much and the Paleo mom says your body will begin to stop making it (or something like). But then again, there's literature saying it helps heal the gut and is an effective antioxidant, so i don't know. But, for the time being, it's better than getting 4 hours sleep!

added: it does take me a few days of use to really start feeling the benefit if i've run out so now i make sure to stock up :)

I've been using melatonin for at least 10 years. I suffer insomnia and now I'm settled at 3 mg.
It also helps prevent migraine attacks. I used to have 1 attack every 5-6 weeks.
Since taking melatonin this has been reduced to 1 attack per year or longer.
Migraine attack is also less severe when I'm taking melatonin.

For about year and a half i`m taking Melatonin. First i started with 3mg . After some time i find out that dose of 1.5 mg is enough for me. Sometimes when i feel very exhausted or i cant sleep well i still take 3 mg but usually 1.5 is fine.

I've been having some sleeping problems too recently, and I went back to taking melatonin, and I am in agreement. It does help! We have the sub-lingual 5 mg kind and me and my husband cut it in half and share every night. So it's about 2.5 mg for each, and it seems to do the trick. Dream-wise, every night it's a new adventure, but even if I get 6 or 7 hours of sleeps I still wake up feeling more rested than before.

I tried melatonin before, years ago, but I would wake up feeling groggy (sp?), so I gave it up. I think now it works because my system truly needed it. Or because I am getting older and my brain doesn't produce as much melatonin anymore as it used to.

1984 said:
Immersion said:

Good to hear you've had success with melatonin after having to readjust to night time sleeping, Immersion.

FWIW, I've taken both capsule and sublingual forms and have much faster and better results with the sublingual version. I'm able to take half as much of sublingual as I would need of capsule formula and get the same results.

Ya know, I don't know why, but the sublingual form does absolutely nothing for me. I've found that the Source Time-Released 3mg (I have to take two of them) does the trick for me and helps me sleep for much longer than taking the ones that aren't time-release. I've had a lot of problems with not being able to go to sleep, or going to sleep but waking up after an hour or so and not being able to go back to sleep. I don't have these problems (98% of the time) with this melatonin product.

Here is an article which mentions -quite a ways down- melatonin and the heavy metals issue:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/05/08/heavy-metals-glyphosate-health-effects.aspx

Quote from the article:

Bringing melatonin back into the discussion, glyphosate interferes with what is known as the shikimate pathway. Although humans do not have the shikimate pathway, our gut flora do, and we depend on our gut flora to supply us with essential amino acids and many other things. Disruption of the shikimate pathway in our gut results in depletion of tryptophan, which is the sole precursor to melatonin. Besides needing melatonin to transport sulfate into the brain, we also need melatonin to reduce heavy metal toxicity. Where supplies of melatonin are adequate, melatonin will bind to aluminum, cadmium, copper, iron, and lead, and reduce their toxicity. Where melatonin is low, a lot of damage can result.

Dr. Klinghardt believes that feeling dopey or groggy after using melatonin suggests a heavy metal protocol should be followed.

denekin said:
Dr. Klinghardt believes that feeling dopey or groggy after using melatonin suggests a heavy metal protocol should be followed.

That's very interesting, in regards to what I wrote above:

I tried melatonin before, years ago, but I would wake up feeling groggy (sp?), so I gave it up. I think now it works because my system truly needed it. Or because I am getting older and my brain doesn't produce as much melatonin anymore as it used to.

Between the time I first tried melatonin and now, I DID do a metal detox protocol using EDTA.

Thanks for the info, denkin, it's good to know :)

Back
Top Bottom