Keto recipes

this is very good! i mean the fat bomb is very good.

my favorites are the lemon ones, and what i did different, was replacing all the water, for freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 big lemons)

I use the basic recipe with the water and lard and sometimes water and butter.

the last one i made was a different experiment.

I made tea out of:
cinnamon sticks - 2
cloves 4 or 5
powdered ginger 1tsp
powdered cardamom 1tsp
powdered turmeric 1tsp

i let i boil for a good 10 minutes , i make about 500ml of this and save a 100ml in the freezer to add to the mixture in the end with the immersion blender.
sometimes i don't put gelatin and the texture is very much like "creme brullé". we love it!
thank you

Laura said:
Custard takes a deft and delicate hand and especially with this much fat. If you understand the chemistry of it, you can make adjustments if you have problems.

It's a delicate balance between the liquid (water, coconut milk, whatever) and the enormous amount of fat. The thing that creates this balance is the emulsifying property of the egg yolks. But the egg yolks cannot be too cooked or they become grainy. There is no reason that beef fat cannot make a fine custard as long as you use enough egg yolks and do not let them boil. If it separates, it is probably not enough egg yolks and the cooking part was not done properly (too much or not enough heat). The only thing the after-blending is actually for is to fully emulsify the cooked (but not too much) egg yolks that may have gone grainy, and to fluff the mixture by adding air.

I can get the coconut fat bomb to come out perfectly, but I just tried a lard-only fat bomb for the first time today. It separated while cooling, so I'm thinking I didn't get enough heat (followed the recipe, so it should've had enough egg yolks). Do you find that the lard technique requires more heat than coconut? The mixture was at about 72 degrees C and still hadn't thickened as much as I'm used to with coconut.

Approaching Infinity said:
I can get the coconut fat bomb to come out perfectly, but I just tried a lard-only fat bomb for the first time today. It separated while cooling, so I'm thinking I didn't get enough heat (followed the recipe, so it should've had enough egg yolks). Do you find that the lard technique requires more heat than coconut? The mixture was at about 72 degrees C and still hadn't thickened as much as I'm used to with coconut.

Chu noticed that there was a definite heat difference using lard. I think you can't heat it as much. And you may need a couple extra egg yolks.

After reading excerpts from the Coconut Keto Diet book, we are trying coconut oil again, though adding it in smaller quantities. According to this book, because of the action of the coconut oil, many people experience herxheimer reactions to it and think that they are reacting to the coconut oil instead of die-off and detox.

Laura said:

Chu noticed that there was a definite heat difference using lard. I think you can't heat it as much. And you may need a couple extra egg yolks.

OK, I'll try more egg yolks. I did notice that it reached a higher temperature quicker, at a lower temperature. But I didn't get the same thickening effect. Figured it might have something to do with the vast different in texture between coconut cream and lard.

Another issue: I've had some lard that stays very creamy and soft in the fridge, and some that becomes very solid. For anyone who has tried it with 'solid' lard, does the finished thing still come out creamy like custard or pudding?

After reading excerpts from the Coconut Keto Diet book, we are trying coconut oil again, though adding it in smaller quantities. According to this book, because of the action of the coconut oil, many people experience herxheimer reactions to it and think that they are reacting to the coconut oil instead of die-off and detox.

Good to know!

Another issue: I've had some lard that stays very creamy and soft in the fridge, and some that becomes very solid. For anyone who has tried it with 'solid' lard, does the finished thing still come out creamy like custard or pudding?

Mine was more solid than creamy, but it separated. The part in the bottom was delicious and like pudding. The fattiest portion was more solid and had less flavor. I went back to coconut ever since, but will try to make another batch with the new recommendations.

Gaby said:

Mine was more solid than creamy, but it separated. The part in the bottom was delicious and like pudding. The fattiest portion was more solid and had less flavor. I went back to coconut ever since, but will try to make another batch with the new recommendations.

I have done a few batches now with lard/ beef drippings and butter in a 1:1 ratio. I found that heating the mixture to 60 deg C (140 deg f) worked best. I added water at about 1/5 the amount of fat plus 6 egg yolks per 400g of total fat. Recently I swapped the lard with bone broth, which came out quite nicely - not as firm as the other recipe, but still nice and creamy and vitually devoid of "beefy" taste. Separation has not been an issue again. After adding the egg yolks to the warm melted fat I found the mixture quite liquid, but after I put the whole thing through the blender again it thickended very nicely.

What you can do if the mixture separates is to add a few spoonfuls of water and then put it through the blender once more, it ususally becomes very creamy - put it back into the fridge for a short while, and it's a winner!

I think I'll give coconut another try too, as so far it produced the best result/ taste.

nicklebleu said:
What you can do if the mixture separates is to add a few spoonfuls of water and then put it through the blender once more, it ususally becomes very creamy - put it back into the fridge for a short while, and it's a winner!

Yep, I did this too, and the texture came out nicely. Still pretty lardy tasting though!

Has anyone tried a second render of their tallow/lard? The stuff we get is smelly, but supposedly you can purify it with a second render. I tried this with some lard and I think it boiled too much, but it did get rid of the "lardy" taste. What is happening is that the proteins and gelatin in the lard are being dissolved into the water and out of the fat.

I would add some antioxidants like bay leaf, rosemary etc. Or perhaps clove for sweetened uses. Or maybe even vitamin C crystals? The research paper I read (going on memory) said that vitamin C breaks down in cooking mainly in the presence of carbohydrates, not fat or protein, and even then it survived normal cooking times and temperatures. Perhaps an acidic antioxidant would prevent saponification, considering that fat is an acid?

Yesterday we fried some chicken in lard. We started by throwing in plenty of spices, which we've found keep it from rancidifying and make it crispier (which I theorize is the effect of antioxidants - bay leaf is a rich source). Earlier I had proposed that we try to use the custard concept to make a sauce from the leftover fat. The egg yolks didn't make it in, but we threw in half a packet of gelatin with some water and whisked it with a fork in an ice bath. We tasted the result and it was good, just a bit too much of a "browned bay leaf" taste (they become very crunchy and flavorful when browned in fat, apparently - like a variation on clove).

I'm just posting this to show the idea of making a sauce out of good leftover fat. Maybe we can do something like this to make ketogenic condiments out of leftover fat? None of us can stand the taste of drippings used for frying, but this seems to make it palatable.

This spices and antioxidants business seems to be pretty useful. We once got a bottle of olive oil that had lots of bay leaf, rosemary and other spices along with garlic. It tasted perfect and had to be packed with antioxidants. I tried frying an egg in it and the egg would actually cook through before the edges would crisp up, and the whites seemed to not cook fully. So I suspected the antioxidants were actually keeping the egg from denaturing. When the bottle ran out, we pulled the bay leaves and rinsed the spice out into a pressure cooker with chicken thighs, and it was great - again, no taste of rancidity like when cooking chicken without a lot of spices and in it's own fat. I might be out of my depth here, with little else but antioxidants to attribute these observations to, but I think this is useful information to keep in mind when cooking for a ketogenic diet.

nicklebleu said:

Yep, I did this too, and the texture came out nicely. Still pretty lardy tasting though!

I too noticed that a little extra water helps out the consistency when using lard, as well as a few extra egg yolks. My recent batches have been a lard/ghee blend, and they come out tasting nicely. I've got to do another batch tonight, so I think I'll give a 100% lard batch another try. I'll make three different flavors from the same batch and see how the flavorings mask the 'lard': a plain vanilla, a lemon, and a choco-coffee. To the kitchen! :D

EDIT: Something that I was wondering, is it possible to can the fat bombs or for the lard version would it be alright if you just poured it into a mason jar?

I've had two successful batches of coconut fat bomb after my initial try, which turned out more like fat bomb hard fudge. :lol: This last batch is the creamiest of the three and I can now understand why everyone has been raving about it. Although, I ate my 'fudge' everyday to finish it off and the second batch was measurably better, I'm actually looking forward to eating this batch for about the next 10 days, since it is so creamy and enjoyable!

I have been making a coconut cream mousse. If you can tolerate coconut, it's pretty good!

I use 1 cup of coconut cream, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and sweeten it to taste. I usually use a couple packets of powdered stevia. Then I use my hand mixer and mix it for a couple minutes. Be sure and use cold coconut cream or it won't turn out right.

I googled the cream and it said one cup was 86 grams of fat and the 2 tablesppons of cocoa is 2.26 grams of carbs

I think I've finally got it right for the No-eggs FatBomb

I used:

1kg of lard
2 cups of warm water
2 tablespoons of lecithin
2 tablespoons of xylitol
a bit of stevia to taste
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 lemon juice

I mixed everything with a blender.

It's absolutely delicious! And it's also perfectly emulsified, the texture is quite creamy, but I suppose it can be 'harder' with a bit of bone broth or gelatin powder.

Here's a picture:

Attachments

• noegg_Lecithin_FatbombLQ.jpg
    noegg_Lecithin_FatbombLQ.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 443
New flavor that I tried out this weekend:

Chai Latte Fat Bomb

Make your basic fat bomb recipe, then for the flavoring: 1/2 cup of your favorite coffee (best if it's been sitting in a french press seeping for a while) and then take two tea bags of chai tea (I used the Tazo Organic Chai) and seep those in only about a cup of boiling water for 7 minutes*. Then combine the 1/2 cup of cold coffee with the 1 cup of strong chai with 1 tsp of cinnamon, and 1 tsp of vanilla**. I let mine sit in the fridge to ensure it was cold when I added it to the mixture at the end.

Add, blend the beejesus out of it with the stick mixer (emulsion blender for the fancy kitchen folk), then pour into your preferred container and chill for 1 hour+.

Result: delicious creamy chai latte fat bomb. The cinnamon, ginger, cardamon notes in the chai combine with the subtle coffee flavor to make this a great spin off in the coffee/mocha direction.

*I actually had a french press with about 1/2 c coffee sitting in it from breakfast, so it was nice and strong (as it was around 2 pm when I began the bombs). I lifted the mesh and tossed the two chai tea bags directly in with the coffee, then added my boiling water to that. I felt like it helped to fuse the chai and coffee flavors together.
**someone also suggested adding a little chocolate to it as well. Haven't tried that yet, but definitely going to. And as another flavoring note: using high quality organic teas can create some unique flavors as well. I thought perhaps a ginger tea or maybe some of the raspberry pomegranate tea might be interesting. Anyone tried anything like that yet? As I'm sure you all know, cooling the tea before adding it to the mixture is key. Definitely don't want to be adding boiling water to the mixture at the flavoring stage, as it would cause some curdling.

Yas said:
I think I've finally got it right for the No-eggs FatBomb

I used:

1kg of lard
2 cups of warm water
2 tablespoons of lecithin
2 tablespoons of xylitol
a bit of stevia to taste
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 lemon juice

How much lemon juice?

I mixed everything with a blender.

Did you heat it on the stove first? If so, how hot did you let it get?

Back
Top Bottom