Keto recipes

Laura said:
Too few egg yolks will definitely NOT produce a well emulsified custard product when working with this much fat. It would be like going over the limit while making mayonnaise, when you add too much oil for the egg yolk to handle, and everything just goes 'plonk' back to oil and some eggy stuff somewhere in the middle. When you want to fix mayonnaise that has done this, you simply get another egg yolk in a clean bowl and start adding the already 'plonked' mayonnais mixture while beating. Then your mayonnaise is saved and you can see a real example of how the egg yolk actually works. The same is true with this fat custard.

I keep saying we are going to make a video so I guess we need to. We've got it down to a formula now and it turns out perfect every time. We've also settled on our favorite flavors: lemon with a hint of orange, and chocolate with a bit of coffee. These two flavors really mask any off-taste of the lard. And we do use plenty of lemon juice and lemon extract along with lemon zest. Makes a beautiful custard! Use coffee extract along with very strong coffee in the mocha version, too. And, of course, vanilla in both to enhance everything.
A video would be great to share, since, for example, I not mastered the fat bomb yet (I'm terrible in the kitchen).
It would be good idea, for another version to mask the taste of the lard, use some ground cloves and cinnamon?.

monotonic said:
I had the idea of adding some clove to the yolks before beating them. The idea is that the antioxidants in the clove would help preserve the nutrients in the yolks. Oil emulsified in water and being beaten and blended is the kind of situation that really encourages fats to oxidize and go rancid.

I'll try this next with a 2-serving portion, if no one hollers.

Has anyone tried putting peppermint in? We're growing peppermint and we need more ways to use it...

Isn't the taste of clove overpowering in the mixture? And did you use powdered clove?

I thought clove was a normal ingredient for custards. If you read my post, you'll see I haven't done it yet, I'm just asking about it. It will definitely be a tiny amount of clove, but that's normal for clove. You don't want as much as it takes to stand out.

Well... I just wanted to share a brunch possibility just in case it can be useful.

I did something like a guacamole, using a half avocado and Scarlett's Bone broth. I just mixed everything cold with a fork, so that the broth would keep the jelly consistency and I added a little salt, olive oil, oregano and basil leaves.

In the picture it is accompanied with bacon and fried fish (I don't really eat a lot of fish but I didn't have any other meat today. :lol: )

It was a delicious brunch! :D

Attachments

• brunch.jpg
    brunch.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 287
Yas said:
Well... I just wanted to share a brunch possibility just in case it can be useful.

I did something like a guacamole, using a half avocado and Scarlett's Bone broth. I just mixed everything cold with a fork, so that the broth would keep the jelly consistency and I added a little salt, olive oil, oregano and basil leaves.

In the picture it is accompanied with bacon and fried fish (I don't really eat a lot of fish but I didn't have any other meat today. :lol: )

Wow - that looks excellent Yas! :D

Made a lemon lard custard last night that turned out delicious. Although next time I'll definitely add in cardamom, as Magpie's lemon-cardamom custard was just to die for!

monotonic said:
I thought clove was a normal ingredient for custards. If you read my post, you'll see I haven't done it yet, I'm just asking about it. It will definitely be a tiny amount of clove, but that's normal for clove. You don't want as much as it takes to stand out.

Adding clove sounds.. interesting. If you decide to add it in let us know how it turns out!

LQB said:
Yas said:

Wow - that looks excellent Yas! :D

Sure does look tasty! Nice pic Yas!

monotonic said:

I don't think clove is a "custard" flavor exactly unless you also use some cinnamon, a bit of ginger, and a pinch of nutmeg and go for the "spice" thing like a pumpkin or apple pie.

Laura said:
monotonic said:

I don't think clove is a "custard" flavor exactly unless you also use some cinnamon, a bit of ginger, and a pinch of nutmeg and go for the "spice" thing like a pumpkin or apple pie.

Interesting, I used small amounts of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon in the batch I prepared last night and it turned out great! I did not have any other extracts other than vanilla and wanted something to give it a little flavor.

I think a video would be helpful. Once this second batch started to thicken, I realized that the first one was way too watery which was why it separated. I was not familiar with making custard, so did not know what to look for. I think the coconut milk helps it thicken, so I lucked out on the first version.

Well, after all this discussion I had another go with beef tallow. This time i made sure i had enough eggs.

I used:

a bit above 200g of beef tallow
200g of butter
150ml of water
vanilla extract
1 big table spoon of xylitol
6 egg yolks
30g of dark 88% chocolate
1 espresso

The texture while it was warm was absolutely phenomenal - thick and creamy. After one night in the fridge it is slightly on the solid side, might try a bit more water next time to hopefully reduce thickness a bit.

After 2-3 times making chocolate with cocoa butter (fat bomb without water...) i cannot look at it as food. I will save it for cosmetic use.
Now i make chocolate with 2 yolks, 2 teaspoons of erythritol, 2 teaspoons of cocoa and about 70g of different fats: mix yolks with sweetener in a cup using teaspoon (capuccino frothener turned to be not useful), add cocoa, add melted and cooled fat, mix, refrigirate (or not). I tried (regular buyed) lard - not edible. Butter - makes my nose drip more (casein effect). Clarified butter - very good. Refined coconut oil - perfect and i didn't notice anything inflammatory or flatulence like after coconut milk i used to have. I've just bought different coconut oil, not refined unfortunately and i will observe if any unwanted reaction occurs. In the meantime i will buy mixer and try to make fat bombs with water and gelatine - thanks for receipes!

nicklebleu said:
Well, after all this discussion I had another go with beef tallow. This time i made sure i had enough eggs.

I used:

a bit above 200g of beef tallow
200g of butter
150ml of water
vanilla extract
1 big table spoon of xylitol
6 egg yolks
30g of dark 88% chocolate
1 espresso

The texture while it was warm was absolutely phenomenal - thick and creamy. After one night in the fridge it is slightly on the solid side, might try a bit more water next time to hopefully reduce thickness a bit.

Today I took one of the cups of the above out of the fridge and nuked it in the blender, after adding nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves AND pepper - which adds a nice touch to the coffe/ chocolate mixture. Also added a little bit of water to make it more creamy.

It was absolutely divine - already looking forward for tomorrow's ration!

:D

Well, this is the third time I've had to throw out a custard because it had a bad metallic taste. This happens every time I use a metal bowl or whisk.

Maybe there is something wrong with your particular metal materials? I make mine using metal everything and don't have a problem.

I did have a metallic taste problem when I was making liposomal vitamin c by pouring the solution directly into the ultrasound tank. I solved that problem by pouring the solution into a glass container and putting the glass container surrounded by water in the ultrasound tank.

Actually hlat, I noticed the metallic taste with the lipo vitamin C also. I ignored it because I wasn't sure just what it should taste like, but come to think of it when I'd mix vit C in a metal canteen I'd get the same effect. Thanks for bringing this up. Next time I'll put it in a smaller container beforehand.

The pumpkin pie custard sounds like a great idea and I'm going to have to try that one next.

I've seen cocoa butter mentioned on here a few times. It may have just been that I bought a batch full of mycotoxins, but back when I made chocolate with this stuff I ended up in the hospital thinking I had a high fever. Only later did I make the connection to the cocoa butter. I've been wanting to experiment with it again, but I'd like to try with some that I know is high quality. I saw that there is a bulletproof cocoa butter product, but 25 $ a pound seems a bit pricey. Have any of you other mold sensitive folks used cocoa butter with good results?

Back
Top Bottom