Keto recipes

nicklebleu said:
Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:
Then I tried to do it with grass-fed beef tallow - big disappointment! It separated in the fridge despite have been nuked in the blender a lot, so I had beef tallow at the top with a soup at the bottom.

That happened to me as well. Still, it tasted pretty good :P

Taste was good, agreed, but the texture was waaaay off!

Hmm... I use beef dripping and cacao butter. No problems with texture other than very slight graining (it really must be stirred well all the time when the yolks are in) and after removing from the freezer and into the fridge for an hour or two, it's literally like frothy ice cream. :)

Ascien said:
Hmm... I use beef dripping and cacao butter. No problems with texture other than very slight graining (it really must be stirred well all the time when the yolks are in) and after removing from the freezer and into the fridge for an hour or two, it's literally like frothy ice cream. :)

I'll do this last step, I have some on the freezer. :)

Custard takes a deft and delicate hand and especially with this much fat. If you understand the chemistry of it, you can make adjustments if you have problems.

It's a delicate balance between the liquid (water, coconut milk, whatever) and the enormous amount of fat. The thing that creates this balance is the emulsifying property of the egg yolks. But the egg yolks cannot be too cooked or they become grainy. There is no reason that beef fat cannot make a fine custard as long as you use enough egg yolks and do not let them boil. If it separates, it is probably not enough egg yolks and the cooking part was not done properly (too much or not enough heat). The only thing the after-blending is actually for is to fully emulsify the cooked (but not too much) egg yolks that may have gone grainy, and to fluff the mixture by adding air.

Laura said:
Custard takes a deft and delicate hand and especially with this much fat. If you understand the chemistry of it, you can make adjustments if you have problems.

It's a delicate balance between the liquid (water, coconut milk, whatever) and the enormous amount of fat. The thing that creates this balance is the emulsifying property of the egg yolks. But the egg yolks cannot be too cooked or they become grainy. There is no reason that beef fat cannot make a fine custard as long as you use enough egg yolks and do not let them boil. If it separates, it is probably not enough egg yolks and the cooking part was not done properly (too much or not enough heat). The only thing the after-blending is actually for is to fully emulsify the cooked (but not too much) egg yolks that may have gone grainy, and to fluff the mixture by adding air.

That might have been the problem then. I had only 4 eggs left - I normally use 5 - 6. I don't think that temperature was a problem.

So might give that another go then.

In my case it was probably the egg yolks too. I ran out of eggs for that batch and used 2 less than usual...

I checked my stats out on the Keto-Calculator and it's saying 158g of fat a day (middle range), so i upped the lard to 50g and butter to 75g (still 4 yokes). Was a bit toooo thick and this time i used an Erythritol / Stevia sugar-like mix and that made it taste of flowers (Xylitol has a sharper flavor, citrus like, am i right?).

That said, if i add a touch more water and stick with Xylitol, i could live on this stuff. I had a cocoa fat bomb instead of dinner because i was exhausted and was beginning to crave something sweet and comforting. I did laugh as i drank it :)

Tea bomb is the bomb! We`ve been making our morning black tea(let cool a little before putting in blender, then reheat after blending) adding an egg yolk,one for each serving, dollop of butter, dollop of coconut cream (I haven`t tried lard instead of coconut cream), and a little xylitol. Also, we sometimes make a version of chai,adding the above with spices of cinnamon,nutmeg,anise,cardamon pods. Put spices in a tea ball and let it steep with black tea while on heat for about 1/2 hr. Brewed tea and rest of ingredients,(except for tea ball of course) goes in blender for under a minute. Nice and frothy. Reheat if necessary. We get our eggs fresh from the local farm so we`re not worried about eating them raw. In the evening the black tea is replaced with chamomile tea and made with same ingredients above. Nice evening night cap.

I ordered glass custard cups with lids from Amazon. Didn`t want to use plastic cups to make single servings for custard. I`v been making it and putting it in a glass baking dish, but it`ll be nice to have single servings for the week.
I made the fat bomb cake(using gelatin to thicken it a little more) 2 layers, strawberry on the bottom and chocolate on the top, with mashed strawberries and a little shredded coconut for topping. YUMMY! Thanks Laura and gang for that recipe. That was the ultimate Bomb!!! :D

Laura said:

My first trial with lard and water separated as well. I used enough eggs, but think I may have overcooked it as I was concerned about not having enough heat. The coconut versions have all turned out well, but I suspect they are causing me to bloat somewhat. I used a mixer to make sure it was well blended, but there was some residue of the eggs at the bottom, so it was probably overcooked.

Will try again with the lard and lower the heat. The taste was fine, but all the eggs ended up in the center with the lard/ butter on top and around the edges, so not very appetizing.

Will try again with the lard and lower the heat.

If it's any help aleana, i 'set up' the custard so that initially the pan and contents are just warm enough to melt (i even take them off the cooking element because pans retain enough heat to melt). I then pour in the tempered eggs and only when i am *ready* do i put it back on the heat (and the lowest setting it sufficient for me).

I then stir quickly with a fork and when i know the heat is coming through, i move to an electric hand whisker. This way the lard doesn't froth up so in the beginning (it can get BIG) and it's never scrambled on me because i've done everything and i'm only focused on the heat and moving the whisker. No pouring in the eggs or anything else. Only focused on the custard ;D

It takes me 15 -20minutes from the moment i put the coffee on to pouring.

(i know with different cookers it can be different - harder to control the heat etc - so i offer the above just in case it helps!)

Too few egg yolks will definitely NOT produce a well emulsified custard product when working with this much fat. It would be like going over the limit while making mayonnaise, when you add too much oil for the egg yolk to handle, and everything just goes 'plonk' back to oil and some eggy stuff somewhere in the middle. When you want to fix mayonnaise that has done this, you simply get another egg yolk in a clean bowl and start adding the already 'plonked' mayonnais mixture while beating. Then your mayonnaise is saved and you can see a real example of how the egg yolk actually works. The same is true with this fat custard.

I keep saying we are going to make a video so I guess we need to. We've got it down to a formula now and it turns out perfect every time. We've also settled on our favorite flavors: lemon with a hint of orange, and chocolate with a bit of coffee. These two flavors really mask any off-taste of the lard. And we do use plenty of lemon juice and lemon extract along with lemon zest. Makes a beautiful custard! Use coffee extract along with very strong coffee in the mocha version, too. And, of course, vanilla in both to enhance everything.

I followed the revised recipe (p.12) on how to make the custard with only a couple of deviations, those being no heat diffuser, (I use a gas cooker only) no coconut milk or ghee (would've been great I'm sure, can't tolerate it though).

As I lack the measuring tools like a thermometer and scales, I go by eye and trial and error. I use two (I've settled on two as three was making the consistency too solid) fine leaf gelatin leaves -15 leaves =25g - cacao butter, (100g pack - suggested serving size is 15g , which sounds HUGE to me) and I chop of a tiny nugget to use. I'm guessing that this is roughly 2cm around which is enough as the taste comes through more than anything else. Coconut oil (250ml bottle) comes next, I just run it under the hot water tap for 20 seconds to loosen it and pour. Not the most accurate measuring method but every time I've done so, it results in just under a quarter of the bottle being used which turns out right. Then come 5 tablespoons of xylitol and I try not to make them heaped tablespoons as its just to sweet. Lastly the beef dripping. (1kg for £1.00)

These are put in a pot on low-medium heat and stirred around occasionally. As the mix is dissolving the eggs are separated and beaten, with the mix taken off the stove when I see the bubbles of fat heating up. I tried Laura's method of pouring a bit and then whisking in between each addition, I messed up (dunno how just did) and now I just drizzle the lot very slowly in, constantly mixing. (I got this part right but not the former :huh: )

I return to the stove after about 30 seconds of somewhat rigorous mixing, at this point it's nicely blended; the graining comes from high heat/being on the fire for to long and personally, I've got to get this idea out of my head that I've got to practically burn everything for it to be cooked. It's worked on the meat side (I never would've imagined eating meat that was closer to medium-rare as opposed to burnt) & I've just gotta shake this off for the custard. Anyway, the rest of the recipe, if followed in full, turns out well... stirring until it thickens and then a minute more. To follow this point properly the early part on the heat needs to be executed well or you'll get... dun-dun-dah.. graining. And as stated in Laura's post above (I forgot to add that in my initial post) too few eggs will give a less emulsified texture, separation seems to be the biggest thing here.

My early attempts with lard, water, gelatin and coconut oil were all with around 6-9 eggs. Too few as it happens. My minimum is now twelve and this is currently working. (I get three days worth of custard)
So completing the last part, the pot goes into a larger pot with enough water to go half way up the smaller one. And in my experience, have everything ready beforehand. I mean the eggs separated, the top of the vanilla extract twisted off, the large pan off water ready etc. Even the washing of the utensils (if you're slightly OCD like me about washing things quickly and clearing up then even more so) needs to be done first - other than the stirring spoon/scraper - or just left alone. These little OCD bits are where I've messed up and got the graining by doing too many little things in between the stirring. I'm always cooking several things whilst cleaning several areas and trying to read! The home stretch is easy, a tablespoon of vanilla or less for me, mix mix mix, into the blender with one cup/mug of water blended for a few seconds. Bosh! Frothy. Into containers, into freezer.

The one I have for the day is put in the fridge and then frozen about an hour before I'm ready to drink it. This is more custard-y and smooth throughout. The others are frozen for the next few days, I remove one about 5hours before I'm ready and out into the fridge. Frothy ice-cream is the result. Even when the froth has been eaten from the top, the deeper parts retain the ice cream-iness.

NOTE: a couple of spoonfuls of the fat mix are added to the yolk beating stage, the mug of water filled to the top is poured into the fat mix as its heating. The remainder of the water is about a centimeter or so from the top, then is poured into blender at the end with the custard. Three weeks testing this results in frothy ice cream that has great consistency.

Here's one way to freeze the unused egg whites. Pour them in ice cube trays and freeze. After they are frozen, put the cubes in a zip lock.

itellsya said:
Will try again with the lard and lower the heat.

If it's any help aleana, i 'set up' the custard so that initially the pan and contents are just warm enough to melt (i even take them off the cooking element because pans retain enough heat to melt). I then pour in the tempered eggs and only when i am *ready* do i put it back on the heat (and the lowest setting it sufficient for me).

I then stir quickly with a fork and when i know the heat is coming through, i move to an electric hand whisker. This way the lard doesn't froth up so in the beginning (it can get BIG) and it's never scrambled on me because i've done everything and i'm only focused on the heat and moving the whisker. No pouring in the eggs or anything else. Only focused on the custard ;D

It takes me 15 -20minutes from the moment i put the coffee on to pouring.

(i know with different cookers it can be different - harder to control the heat etc - so i offer the above just in case it helps!)

I just tried another batch and made sure I took it off of the double boiler; then waited until it was much cooler before adding the eggs. I noticed while mixing this time that the consistency became much thicker (more like mayonnaise when it starts to set). Also made sure the eggs had time to warm up after taking them from the refrigerator. So - it is cooling now, but I think it worked this time! ;)

A good thing too because I tried some coconut milk today after not having any coconut products for a week. It was not a pleasant experience, so that's the end of my coconut experience. Will use the lefover oil I have for a moisturizer and makeup remover. :P

I had the idea of adding some clove to the yolks before beating them. The idea is that the antioxidants in the clove would help preserve the nutrients in the yolks. Oil emulsified in water and being beaten and blended is the kind of situation that really encourages fats to oxidize and go rancid.

I'll try this next with a 2-serving portion, if no one hollers.

Has anyone tried putting peppermint in? We're growing peppermint and we need more ways to use it...

monotonic said:
Has anyone tried putting peppermint in? We're growing peppermint and we need more ways to use it...

Chocolate mint fat bomb sounds pretty tasty to me!

Back
Top Bottom