Keto recipes

Here is the avacado dip! I have been experimenting with Maria's 'Keto fudge' which turned out very well last time - the only catch is they have to be kept in the freezer. Will post a recipe later for anyone who has not read 'Keto-adapted'. :D

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 336
Cannot edit my comment yet. I meant to post this photo aswell -

Breakfast ;)

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 341
I made more of the custard. I think the stainless steel bowl I was making it in was pitting and gave it this horrifying metallic taste, so I had to throw it away.

After eating the coconut-only custard I am actually physically stronger! It's weird. I just have more force, and moving around is more "effortless". It's enough of an effect that I have to readjust. Also, my mind is very clear, and my emotions seem to be more stable, maybe as much as it has ever been. It will be interesting to see if this continues.

The guacamole method would be very economical and tasteful for us. How much fat can you mix in while it's still palatable?

Unfortunately my brother doesn't tolerate coconut - he gets migraines. The only other fats we have are tallow and lard, both smelly. Has anyone had success with using smelly lard?

monotonic said:
I made more of the custard. I think the stainless steel bowl I was making it in was pitting and gave it this horrifying metallic taste, so I had to throw it away.

After eating the coconut-only custard I am actually physically stronger! It's weird. I just have more force, and moving around is more "effortless". It's enough of an effect that I have to readjust. Also, my mind is very clear, and my emotions seem to be more stable, maybe as much as it has ever been. It will be interesting to see if this continues.

The guacamole method would be very economical and tasteful for us. How much fat can you mix in while it's still palatable?

Unfortunately my brother doesn't tolerate coconut - he gets migraines. The only other fats we have are tallow and lard, both smelly. Has anyone had success with using smelly lard?

I added lots of extra egg yolks and some butter, then added extra vanilla and coffee flavoring and it came out really dang good. Next time I'm going to try a small batch of the back fat lard only custard, and see how it goes. Though I get the feeling that extra egg yolks and vanilla are going to be a must, and strong flavorings like coffee or chocolate definitely help mask the "lard" smell/flavor.

I just made more in a different stainless bowl and it got the same metallic taste. I've now wasted lots of coconut oil. I'll try to find another kind of bowl and use a different whisk in case that's the problem.

monotonic said:

Usually when we fry 6 pieces of bacon, we add all of the bacon fat left in the pan, which can turn out to be quite a lot although I don't have any specific measurements. What you can do is add little bits in at a time and taste it as you go along... when mashed up the avocado seems to mask the 'fattiness' of the fat if you know what I mean.

In addition to the fat bomb the 'fudge' really helps with keeping up the fat content in the day. They can be eaten as a desert or even as a meal I guess.

1 cup of coconut oil (soft but still solid)
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut milk (if not tolerated you can probably use butter - maybe melted)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Almond oil extract
Sweetener - she doesn't give any measurements for liquid, I think a few drops. We use powdered stevia (about 3 tsps) mixed with a bit of hot water to make it into liquid.

Very simple to prepare, in a bowl you add the coconut oil and coconut milk and whisk together till soft. then add the cocoa, vanilla, sweetener and almond extract to the mixture and whisk for a few more minutes. Place in a dish and stick it in the freezer! It doesn't freeze but just stays hard like chocolate.

We have tried some different flavours - Cinnamon and grated ginger, coffee, dark chocolate, extra almond and butter. Mint sounds tempting aswell :D

I second the addition of more egg yokes, today i dropped in an extra - taking me to 4. (+ 35g lard, 75g butter)

Following our 'raw or not' discussion - i'm on day 6 of my fatty frappes - today i made sure i brought the mixture to a higher heat - with the electric hand whisk on high whilst i rotated it round the pan, removing from the pan from the electric element momentarily, and often, to prevent scrambling- and finally had custard!

There was a thin layer on the bottom of the pan, but it was no problem, and hadn't curdled, was pure creamy. In my previous attempts i must have just 'warmed up' the yokes... ... :rolleyes: (no problems though!)

I have to say i like the thin frappe but with the extra yoke and heat, the texture was thicker and felt that bit more filling. (by the way, i'm still not using gelatine)

And the food i am seeing on here is divine..... thanks for all the recipes! I'm actually quite gobsmacked at how luxurious that breakfast looked, i blame growing up the UK. Even the way they make sandwiches is strict: 1 x slice tomato, 1 x slice ham etc... overall the dietary situation here is awful. My foreign friends were so right.

Edit: the discussion about raw eggs was in : Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I did my "Lard Only" Fat Bomb yesterday but the ingredients didn't really mixed up very well, and I haven't got vanilla or gelatin powder so I used plenty of cocoa powder (which adds some carbs), stevia and a bit of bone broth to add to the texture.

It's still very good in flavour, but I have to work on the consistency and the mixing process for it to be "presentable" (so no picture this time :P )

A Jay said:
I'm going to assume y'all used leaf lard, because I don't know that I have enough vanilla and chocolate to cover up the flavor of plain back fat. :lol:

Actually, it's not leaf lard (I had to look it up because I had no idea what "leaf lard" was). It is pure lard, that we get when we get one side of a pig, which we turn into pork chops. We render the extra fat, and that's our lard. the trick is to render it, so that when it's cold, it is not solid, but creamy.

With those proportions I posted above, I think you'll hardly taste the lard, if it is similar to ours. But if you do, there are other flavors. Yesterday, we made a very strong lemonade with concentrated lemon and lime juice, and 2 teaspoons of erythritol, and added it to the mix. The fat bombs came out really good, and that flavor masks the taste of fat quite well. So, experiment and have fun!

I have to say that the lemon, made with lemon juice and lemon extract, was the yummiest ever. And the texture was perfect soft custard! Light and silky!

Chu said:
A Jay said:
I'm going to assume y'all used leaf lard, because I don't know that I have enough vanilla and chocolate to cover up the flavor of plain back fat. :lol:

Actually, it's not leaf lard (I had to look it up because I had no idea what "leaf lard" was). It is pure lard, that we get when we get one side of a pig, which we turn into pork chops. We render the extra fat, and that's our lard. the trick is to render it, so that when it's cold, it is not solid, but creamy.

With those proportions I posted above, I think you'll hardly taste the lard, if it is similar to ours. But if you do, there are other flavors. Yesterday, we made a very strong lemonade with concentrated lemon and lime juice, and 2 teaspoons of erythritol, and added it to the mix. The fat bombs came out really good, and that flavor masks the taste of fat quite well. So, experiment and have fun!

From my experience the trick to render lard so that it gets creamy instead of solid seems to be to render it very slowly on low heat.
This recipe (_http://www.everythingpies.com/render-pastry-leaf-lard.html) also talks about that:

"For creamy lard, cook it slow and low."

It also seems the more heat you use and the darker the lard gets because of it, the smellier it gets. I also always make sure to cut away all the meat stuff before rendering it. I guess those meat parts also make it smelly rather then almost neutral in taste...

That's true for tallow as well. Our rendered tallow turned out best when we used the crock pot and kept it from getting over 160F. It didn't smell, and the fatty "cracklings" that were left were great to fry along with meat, and you could chew and eat them. You can actually smell it as it cooks, and you will know if it gets overcooked.

Fat only seems to get the smelly, tallowy taste after you separate it from the meat. That has been my observation. Fat stewed on the meat is delicious. Unfortunately cuts of meat like this are rare in America.

PS - I can't delete my proceeding post!

Yas said:
I did my "Lard Only" Fat Bomb yesterday but the ingredients didn't really mixed up very well, and I haven't got vanilla or gelatin powder so I used plenty of cocoa powder (which adds some carbs), stevia and a bit of bone broth to add to the texture.

It's still very good in flavour, but I have to work on the consistency and the mixing process for it to be "presentable" (so no picture this time :P )

I checked another pot of fat bomb I made, and it actually turned out to be great!

So here's a picture of it. Is that what it is supposed to look like?

Attachments

• fat_baomb2lq.jpg
    fat_baomb2lq.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 203
Yas said:
I checked another pot of fat bomb I made, and it actually turned out to be great!

So here's a picture of it. Is that what it is supposed to look like?

That looks delicious!! :wow:

I've just been putting my in jars and scooping out measured amounts. Think it's about time I buy some moulds and/or dessert dishes and get creative with this! Marbled layers, anyone? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom