About Lying, Illusion and the Predator's Mind

Bud, for a long time when reading your posts, I couldn't seem to grok what you were saying, at first I thought it was me, then realized that something was wrong. You have been on my mind for weeks. A lot of us have these difficult spots.
This forum is like the family that I never had, people who think differently, and cares about everyone.
Bud you are in my prayers.

Wow! I'm almost overwhelmed by these most recent responses. I've read every word on every post at least twice, so to everyone: please know that I feel your kindness and support and I'm really thankful. :hug2: I especially appreciate those who let me know they stopped reading my posts. That's really helpful info since I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

FWIW, I'm changing my name back to Buddy because it really doesn't matter to me and some of y'all seem to like it.

For those of you who asked about the avatar of Odysseus, the reason(s) for the choice wasn't really all that profound at the time, but it did represent a quality piece of work by the artist. I like quality and striving for the quality plateau wherever it may potentially exist. For me, this choice was mostly a reminder to resist doing what I've actually been doing - forgetting myself.

On another note, the energy and enthusiasm of 'Buddy' never really went anywhere. That's still me IRL most of the time. At the point where I tuned it way down, I was believing my feelings were getting in the way of some deep study, contemplation and learning. At that time I recall being concerned with having a seriousness that I thought was appropriate for my understanding of serious esoteric Work.

As a final (for now) note re: the 'quantum' stuff? Please accept my apologies for the unanswered question-begging usage. To me it seems the philosophical side to quantum theory may be useful to us. What excites me about that is the possibility it may offer ideas, metaphors and ways of seeing things that directly relate to the various ways we are trying to understand the Work and what to do. We might even approach a useful way to understand:

stainlesssteve said:
...the problem of alienation from Nature...

...but I don't know that yet. As soon as I'm familiar enough with the subject to take responsibility for discussing it in conformance with the forum's needs, I'd like to start a thread to submit it to the network for analysis and feedback. I've got this thread to help me remember not to get lost in it!

Thanks again to everyone who's offered their feedback here!

Hi Buddy,

Would such a thread be such a useful idea in the short term, considering the feedback you have been receiving, Buddy?

While discussions of the quantum aspects and potentials of our reality might be more easily digested by those with more experience, exposure and perhaps intellect, I imagine quite a few average Joes, myself included, have trouble with the glazing over of our eyes upon reading most writings dealing with such matter.

I'll admit I find such things fascinating but know the only time I have enjoyed reading it was when it was well crafted. I guess I'm worried that such a venture too soon would result in more of the same.

Have you identified the processes and filters (or lack thereof) required to venture there or are you merely trying to fix the way you think with the way you think? How would you be different in your thought processes and delivery?

I only ask this as I am having great difficulty in working on something similar in myself and know something significant needs to change in me before I dare subject others to my take on complex matters.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
Hi Buddy,

Would such a thread be such a useful idea in the short term, considering the feedback you have been receiving, Buddy?

While discussions of the quantum aspects and potentials of our reality might be more easily digested by those with more experience, exposure and perhaps intellect, I imagine quite a few average Joes, myself included, have trouble with the glazing over of our eyes upon reading most writings dealing with such matter.

I'll admit I find such things fascinating but know the only time I have enjoyed reading it was when it was well crafted. I guess I'm worried that such a venture too soon would result in more of the same.

Have you identified the processes and filters (or lack thereof) required to venture there or are you merely trying to fix the way you think with the way you think? How would you be different in your thought processes and delivery?

I only ask this as I am having great difficulty in working on something similar in myself and know something significant needs to change in me before I dare subject others to my take on complex matters.

Gonzo

I think Gonzo makes a very good point. You've just received input that could objectively help you and then you suggest that you go full steam ahead in your previous direction. I would suggest that the only way you should discuss such things at this point in time is to do so in a way that a five year old can understand - and I mean that literally. This would prevent you from being comfortable in what comes across as your 'lofty rhetorical heights' - that's where your false personality wants to be - to assist your essence you should do what 'it' does NOT like. I don't think your suggestion, Bud, is doing what 'it' does not like.

I also think it's really important to consider the idea that it takes time and energy for others to read a thread you start in order to correct your thinking. Really, you benefit from that more than anyone else, right? It's just something to keep in mind, in general, because we often forget how much time and energy goes into the feedback we receive, since we're so focused on our own ideas and incorporating that feedback. fwiw.

Buddy said:
I'm in 100% agreement with him until the last sentence. I need to look into 'emotional intelligence' and how it relates to "discerning the objective truth about anything" as he sees it.

Put simply, do emotions (or our emotional centers) relay information to us about our environment? If they do, then surely they would be of use in perceiving and understanding the "open" system that is the nature of quantum reality?

Aristotlean logic seeks to reduce our reality down to true or false in a rather rigid codified way that can be grasped by our intellect. It essentially seeks to reduce reality to the limits of what can be perceived or understood by the human mind or intellect. It focuses on the intellect as the arbiter of all things and ignores nuances and any idea of a fluid nature of reality or the idea that reality can be 'created'. From our point of view, given the topics we discuss and consider, it seems rather redundant.

Emotions seem to play a big part in 'seeing the unseen', and to our intellects alone, "quantum reality" appears to be unseen and, using Aristotlean logic, unseeable. One possible aspect of the "quantum nature of reality" may be that time does not exist, that past present and future co-exist. One aspect of emotional intelligence is "gut feelings" which often seem to operate outside of time in the sense that they predict the future.

Perceval said:
Buddy said:
I'm in 100% agreement with him until the last sentence. I need to look into 'emotional intelligence' and how it relates to "discerning the objective truth about anything" as he sees it.

Put simply, do emotions (or our emotional centers) relay information to us about our environment? If they do, then surely they would be of use in perceiving and understanding the "open" system that is the nature of quantum reality?

[...]

Emotions seem to play a big part in 'seeing the unseen', and to our intellects alone, "quantum reality" appears to be unseen and, using Aristotlean logic, unseeable. One possible aspect of the "quantum nature of reality" may be that time does not exist, that past present and future co-exist. One aspect of emotional intelligence is "gut feelings" which often seem to operate outside of time in the sense that they predict the future.

And further - something I'm sure Bud/Buddy will recall - Gurdjieff's remarks to the effect that understanding (on which discernment depends) is a function of three centers - so the emotional center is crucial. That while quantity of knowledge can be increased by working with the intellect alone, to increase the quality (and to become able to gain knowledge of different qualities than that now accessible) emotional development will be needed.

The thinking mind weighs and measures all things with the language of words. The emotional center values all things with the Language of Birds. The necessary translation between the language of thinking and the language of emotion is creating pictures of relationship with parables, myths, fairy tales, etc. The Tale of the Evil Magician, Parable of the Carriage, Bluebeard, and The Crucifixion of Christ are examples of the Work in different times and places.

The image of the Crucifixion of Christ (essence bound by personality) has crossed two thousand years and circled the globe with the objective truth that our Real I is captive in the citadel of the wise acre of philosophy and science. The only enduring image of quantum physics is the atomic bomb. What is the objective truth of that image?

The emotional center is a narrow gate through which help arrives from higher centers of a timeless realm. The higher centers are the realm of conscience and eternity which communicate objective truth of our captivity and Way of escape for men and women who have eyes to see and ears to hear. We all struggle with the magician of wise acre who holds us captive. It takes time and silence of the wise acre of personality for essence to grow. The food of essence is the personality. We must sacrifice the self will of personality to feed essence. It is like the bird, which grows slowly by absorbing the egg.

Ottershrew said:
Thanks for this Bud.

It looks like you may have been trying to justify your very loose use of English. In other words, you may be trying to defend your use of a "quantum English" (where sentences have perhaps several meanings which cannot be pinned down) - as opposed to a "classical English" (where sentences have clearly identifiable meanings).

But this really won't do. Nobody is going to understand you if you use "quantum English", and you'll be left isolated from your network. And then we'll all be sad. Here's a sad face to make the point: :(

Well, perhaps this is all rather ironic! One of the points, though, that I think Anart is making is: Is this actually externally considerate to the reader - especially to a reader whose first language isn't English? One of the most elementary things you can do is to ask yourself about any sentence that you write: How might this sentence be misunderstood by the reader? Now you're standing in the reader's shoes.

This is NOT to say that you may not be making some good points - and perhaps even some extremely good points - if, that is, I've understood you correctly, or indeed understood you at all. Here are two further points which might be given in reply:

1. There is, of course, a whole branch of philosophy called "philosophy of language". Have you read anything much in this area? Recently I've been trying to get through Henry Laycock's book "Words without Objects". It's especially tough going. I got as far as page 45, and even that felt like reaching Everest Base Camp: a really tough climb, but still not the summit by any stretch of the imagination. It's not an easy read, but then the subject-matter isn't easy either. I found I could understand, but only as long as I applied myself to it very thoroughly. Perhaps you may enjoy reading something like this? It is possible to write about abstruse things, which call for a lot of attention on the part of the reader, and actually be understood. Such writers may give you some idea of how to proceed.

What I was particularly struck by here was the thought that in academic philosophy we may not have moved very far from where we were c. 500 BC. The pre-Socratics suggested that everything was in flux. Then Democritus came along, and philosophy, as we know it, started. But it may have been a false start. The point here is that Democritus was an atomist; he insisted that each thing can be subdivided until we reach a final thing, which can't be divided any further. (Obviously this was a purely philosophical position, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the sort of thing Dalton, Rutherford, and all those other physicists were working on in the early 20th century.) The point Democritus was making was that things had boundaries, and could therefore be talked about, and also, by implication, controlled. That Democritus stands at the beginning of written philosophy may also be particularly significant, because this whole approach is all about language too. Language calls for clear demarcation in meaning, so that we can understand each other. But these necessary limitations (i.e. demarcations) are also limitations in another sense: they limit what we can conceive of in our minds. They suggest that things are just things, and that's all there is to it.

And here is where it gets really exciting: we've got an impasse. We can no longer trust the way we think, because our way of thinking is itself constructed of discrete units. In other words, there are automatic self-imposed limitations in our thinking which are a direct result of (a) the wish to control things; (b) the natural wish to be understood clearly; and (c) a misunderstanding about the very nature of reality. This seems to be the final point that you yourself make. I cannot go further than this, and I don't think that Laycock goes any further than this, and I'd love to meet the individual who has gone further than this. The pre-Socratics had suggested instead that there were, in the final analysis, no things: each "thing" was a part of something else, in a living, dynamic, ever-moving system. Nothing could really be pinned down. One had to move with the flux if one was to get any real understanding of how "things" really were. An analogy might be seen in an oak tree. There it stands before you: it's a thing. But have we really understood it by giving it a name, and saying, "There you are, that's an oak tree!" At a completely different level of reality it's actually something completely different: it's alive, it's the centre of an ecosystem supporting 1000 different species, each thing moving in crazy ways to make up the order that we can then symbolize by the term "oak tree". It's dynamic, rich, ever-changing, beyond our full comprehension.

So, this basic point in philosophy (the pre-Socratics versus Democritus) has never really been dealt with properly in the past 2500 years. It somehow eludes us - and this has to do with our general mindset, as you imply (I think). In attempting to understand (i.e. grasp the meaning) of everything, everything was broken up into discrete units. This did away with the absolutely essential links between things. I don't want to labour the point, but this is how we ended up with a situation where the universe was 'dis-enchanted' (i.e. the manifold links between things ignored) to pave the way for the scientific revolution, the triumph of technology, the divorce of ourselves from our natural environment, and the corruption of science, which could no longer see the wood for the trees.

2. I want to quote something from Professor Austin Duncan-Jones on the difficulties of language, which you might enjoy. Again, the theme of atomism in language is made the centre of attention. This is from his book "Butler's Moral Philosophy" (p. 31), where he discusses Joseph Butler's writing style, and explores some of the difficulties in writing about philosophical matters, which originate in the limits of language itself:

Duncan-Jones said:
Butler had certain clearly held opinions about the functioning of language. Of the meanings of words he took what is now fashionable to call a 'contextual' view: he held, that is, that words are not, as too great reliance on concise dictionaries might make us suppose, bricks or atoms of meaning, each of which enters without change of shape, size or mass into walls or molecules of meaning, whose properties can be deduced from those of their components. To amplify Butler a little, language operates in wholes of varying size and complexity, whose ingredients include people's thoughts, acts, and situations, as well as their words: and the whole contributes as much to the force of the word or idiom as the word to that of the whole. "I must desire the reader" (Butler writes) "not to take any assertion alone by itself, but to consider the whole of what is said upon it: because this is necessary, not only in order to judge of the truth of it, but often, such is the nature of language, to see the very meaning of the assertion" (Preface to the Fifteen Sermons Preached at the Rolls Chapel (1729)). Thus, although Butler adopted from Locke the notion of the imperfection of language, he did not follow Locke in supposing that a few simple maxims of definition would provide a remedy.

So there we are. And perhaps we begin to understand, too, why philosophy of language became the frontier of modern philosophy - and indeed harsh, mind-bending territory too. It offers a challenge to how we express things, which further offers a challenge to how we think about things. And it suggests that we may have got everything wrong.

So it's easy enough for misunderstandings to arise when writing about philosophy. Your problem seems to be that you're not even considering that there might be a difficulty. Your posts often read like wiseacreing for this very reason: you seem to think that lack of clarity is just a natural part of any presentation in philosophy because the subject-matter itself is unclear. But this is surely just to invite disaster. You can make your presentations clear enough for people to understand what you are saying - and indeed you should find that it's actually fun trying to put your thoughts into clearer English.

If you don't achieve some level of clarity, there really is very little reason to jot your thoughts down here; you might be better off just putting them in a private journal. This of course is not to suggest that you might not have some good points to make - but without more effort at achieving clarity (which boils down to external consideration) your points are largely without value because they lack that most important thing of all: humility.

Hard words, I know. Of course I'm conscious that my own words in this very post are probably somewhat incoherent, which is all rather ironic. The point, though, is that it's useful for everybody to at least try and be as understandable as they possibly can be.

Please let me know if anything remains unclear.

well I just stumbled on this discussion and I was quite tickled to see that Ottershrew (?) had been reading my book. I felt I had to send some words of congratulation because it is indeed a tough and kind of dry book, but you had the determination to forge ahead and get an handle on the ideas. There's no doubt that the Greeks were the tops in philosophy - no-one has achieved their level since. And that says something about their way of life and thought, as compared with ours. They had a clearer and less cluttered view of things, and were not dominated by false values. Cheers, Henry L

Hi Henry,

I'm not sure if you plan on sticking around or not, but if so, it would be great if you could post an intro on the Newbie thread. We already know how you found us, so just a bit more about yourself would do. Hope you take a chance to do some more browsing to see if you'd like to stay and participate :)

quote by go2

The emotional center is a narrow gate through which help arrives from higher centers of a timeless realm. The higher centers are the realm of conscience and eternity which communicate objective truth of our captivity and Way of escape for men and women who have eyes to see and ears to hear. We all struggle with the magician of wise acre who holds us captive. It takes time and silence of the wise acre of personality for essence to grow. The food of essence is the personality. We must sacrifice the self will of personality to feed essence. It is like the bird, which grows slowly by absorbing the egg.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:15:56 PM by go2 »

Thank you go2 for explaining the process of awakening so clearly. The image of the emotional center as a narrow gate receiving help from the higher centers crystalized the concept for me. That you described the gate as "narrow" helps me to understand how much effort it must take to keep it clear so that higher centers can come through. I know how much work it takes to keep my desk clear; things just keep piling up. If I leave for a long enough time without clearing it, I don't want to work there anymore.

So now, I can see the gate in my mind's eye, and little pieces of stuff embodying the negative emotions: anger, pride, righteousness etc. blocking the way and absorbing all the light. If anything at all could pass through all that muck it would take a really long time. It really does help to see the process so clearly. Thank you again.

by go2

« Last Edit: Today at 03:15:56 PM by go2 »

Thank you go2 for explaining the process of awakening so clearly. The image of the emotional center as a narrow gate receiving help from the higher centers crystalized the concept for me. That you described the gate as "narrow" helps me to understand how much effort it must take to keep it clear so that higher centers can come through. I know how much work it takes to keep my desk clear; things just keep piling up. If I leave for a long enough time without clearing it, I don't want to work there anymore.

So now, I can see the gate in my mind's eye, and little pieces of stuff embodying the negative emotions: anger, pride, righteousness etc. blocking the way and absorbing all the light. If anything at all could pass through all that muck it would take a really long time. It really does help to see the process so clearly. Thank you again.

webglider,

i second the notion.
it was very well put and clear.

Gonzo and anart, thanks for the comments. I agree with your points. Most of the ideas I was attracted to are present here on the forum anyway, in the dynamics and viewpoints available in the basic psychology materials and the replies by seasoned Mods and Admin. Y'all are indeed living examples of the advice you give and a tough act to follow, but I will defer to your view of the matter and do what "it" doesn't want to do should I suspect I might have something useful to add somewhere. :)

Perceval said:
Buddy said:

Aristotlean logic seeks to reduce our reality down to true or false in a rather rigid codified way that can be grasped by our intellect. It essentially seeks to reduce reality to the limits of what can be perceived or understood by the human mind or intellect. It focuses on the intellect as the arbiter of all things and ignores nuances and any idea of a fluid nature of reality or the idea that reality can be 'created'. From our point of view, given the topics we discuss and consider, it seems rather redundant.

Perceval, thank you. We're in tune! Though I have as yet to read the referenced material on "Emotional Intelligence", I agree with you because I 'know' you're right even if I can't put it into words the way you do.

Also, thanks Psalehesost, for that reminder.

[quote author=anart]
You've just received input that could objectively help you and then you suggest that you go full steam ahead in your previous direction. I would suggest that the only way you should discuss such things at this point in time is to do so in a way that a five year old can understand - and I mean that literally.[/quote]

Yesterday I thought you were just making a snap judgement based on an assumption about me. Today I understand what you mean. I understand what everyone's been saying and would like to offer some of the results from my reflections.

I am now understanding my intellect to be little more than a shell like a house that is built around me to dominate the world and protect me from harm. This set up lets me emotionally react or to do whatever I please. It seems that from the intellects view, the purpose for it being in charge is so that the child (me) can play, have fun, rant, rave, sulk or whatever without interruption. The intellect concludes that as long as I am undisturbed and unaware of any danger, it's doing its job and there will be an endless supply of energy available to keep on building more intellectual structure. But now I'm wondering what is the point of having an intellect that can compare not only thoughts and ideas, but whole systems of thought at a time, if the energy that belongs to the Real me is powering it all and draining me to the point of exhaustion and eventual death?

This morning I reread this thread so as to have all this feedback fresh in mind as I went about my day. My goal was to observe myself with as little distortion as possible from the intellect. What I experienced while trying to be as objective as possible was kind of heart-breaking. In everything I said, did and experienced throughout the day, emotionally I reacted the same ways that I did when I was 5 to 8 years old. Exactly the same ways.

I understand that, years ago (probably somewhere between 5 and 8 years of age) when I disconnected from people socially for certain reasons, I also disconnected from the possibility of experiencing an enriching emotional life while growing up emotionally. I understand that now and know my real age. Perceval's post was also instrumental in this realization because, in his relating of Aristotelian logic to emotional cognition, I saw and felt the consequences of my own personal split between intellect and emotion.

This realization really hurts and my nose has been runny off and on all day because I'm close to having a good cry. I'm sorry to have to leave the forum for a bit, but I need to try and process this emotion which feels kind of like a tidal wave approaching.

Buddy said:
Yesterday I thought you were just making a snap judgement based on an assumption about me.

After all this time, you honestly think I would make a snap judgment based on 'assumptions' about you. Those buffers move fast.

b said:
Today I understand what you mean. I understand what everyone's been saying and would like to offer some of the results from my reflections.

I am now understanding my intellect to be little more than a shell like a house that is built around me to dominate the world and protect me from harm. This set up lets me emotionally react or to do whatever I please. It seems that from the intellects view, the purpose for it being in charge is so that the child (me) can play, have fun, rant, rave, sulk or whatever without interruption. The intellect concludes that as long as I am undisturbed and unaware of any danger, it's doing its job and there will be an endless supply of energy available to keep on building more intellectual structure. But now I'm wondering what is the point of having an intellect that can compare not only thoughts and ideas, but whole systems of thought at a time, if the energy that belongs to the Real me is powering it all and draining me to the point of exhaustion and eventual death?

This morning I reread this thread so as to have all this feedback fresh in mind as I went about my day. My goal was to observe myself with as little distortion as possible from the intellect. What I experienced while trying to be as objective as possible was kind of heart-breaking. In everything I said, did and experienced throughout the day, emotionally I reacted the same ways that I did when I was 5 to 8 years old. Exactly the same ways.

I understand that, years ago (probably somewhere between 5 and 8 years of age) when I disconnected from people socially for certain reasons, I also disconnected from the possibility of experiencing an enriching emotional life while growing up emotionally. I understand that now and know my real age. Perceval's post was also instrumental in this realization because, in his relating of Aristotelian logic to emotional cognition, I saw and felt the consequences of my own personal split between intellect and emotion.

This realization really hurts and my nose has been runny off and on all day because I'm close to having a good cry. I'm sorry to have to leave the forum for a bit, but I need to try and process this emotion which feels kind of like a tidal wave approaching.

I think you should have the good cry. I think you should have more than a couple of good cries. It's good for you. The thing is, just because you're 5 to 8 years old emotionally right now doesn't mean you will remain that way. If you work on your emotions; if you put the same amount of energy into working on them that you do on wandering around in your intellect/comfort zone, you'll be amazed at how quickly you can mature emotionally. It's an interesting process that can even be accompanied by physical symptoms and dreams that recall the years you were physically a certain age, as you 'grow' emotionally (at least in my experience). You and your body will process 'growing up' emotionally and it's a rather miraculous thing - BUT - it takes effort and includes suffering, so take it one small step at a time. First step might be having that cry and several more and exploring how that really feels - how everything really feels. One step at a time and we'll be here when you return!

Buddy said:
...I need to try and process this emotion which feels kind of like a tidal wave approaching

Hi Buddy,

You could be right about that even more than you would think at the moment.

When years ago I reached the point you seem to be approaching now, I cried for about ten days on the trot - going to bed crying and starting all over again after waking up the next morning. It was a major crisis. I just couldn't help myself doing that, all the while processing the reasons for it and observing the feelings that came up all of a sudden - after decades of being stuck emotionally due to specific traumas in early life, and having had a frozen emotional centre most of the time thereafter.

It was such a relief when it was over and done with, you can't even begin to imagine.

Surely, afterwards I had to relive and rework every single trauma and all the emotions involved by recapitulating and reordering them (still working on some of those, even now). But I could do that with a clean slate and a reinvigorated emotional capacity.

To have lived through these experiences and having benefited greatly from them growthwise, is the reason why I fully concur with Anart's assessment about this.

Do take care though, it probably will be a rough ride - but well worth the experience, as far as I can testify.

Back
Top Bottom