All About Fasting

Re: Fasting, Gluten, MSG, Soy, Blood Type Diet

Thank you so much! I just posted the article link that aurora posted in her tread on facebook for everyone to read. To share truth is to give the gift of potential knowledge which protects! Thanks everyone! Awesome find!

This was the 4th or 5th time i had nightmare about gluten. At a visit to my parents, i ate my mothers potato cake
_http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MQ9E1Fyns5c/R-lT8uJUb0I/AAAAAAAAAIk/fEnV9Gn8LnE/s400/krumplispogi.jpg
and rolled poppy-seed cake:
_http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tCGcLKXty4I/TRcVNzMHiCI/AAAAAAAADVY/bGRczsvpusQ/s1600/bejgli%2Bszeletelve%2B2.jpg

and i'm getting hysterical in these dreams every time, that gluten got into my system, the effects it will have, and the 6-7 months until it will get out: in the nightmare dreams(oh my god, how the heck could i be so hungry and oblivious?).

:D

Hi forge, I think that you could ask your mom what the ingredients were. But from the look of the pictures, it seems it might have had gluten in it. I had a slip up two months ago with a little gluten from not cleaning my cooking space before cooking and being careless.

So if you have gotten some gluten in your system, it is only uphill from here as you stay away from it. At two months, three months, and four months, you can get some more confidence as they are markers of your progress. I'm on two months, so I'm 1/3 clean. We have to come to the point where we basically eat nothing from others, unless we know absolutely for sure what the ingredients were and if there was any contamination. Not knowing what's in something isn't good because ignorance endangers.

As far as fasting goes, is it better to do a juice fast as opposed to a dry fast (no food or liquid)?

Thus far, I have been able to do 20 hour dry fasts with no problem, once a week. After that, I start to get very shaky and experience mood swings. My family has a low blood sugar issue so this may be causing the problem. I found that after 20 hours of dry fasting even a small cup of juice makes me feel loads better. Should I try to incorporate more juice into my fast schedule?

I experienced a great change with a diet change and EE (since its inception).
I had not in mind then I was celiac or specifically sensible to gluten, nonetheless I decided to remove gluten consumption.

After some time I discovered one mistake: I continued to consume brown rice (which contains gluten).
Once I discovered I removed it from my diet.

I continued to improve on health and I've discovered I've been deflated!
My feet shrinked in size 43-44 down to 42-43.
My skin around the head also changed! Before: tense. Now: flexible. I wrinkle the skin on the top.

Sincerely I did not imagined my body would be able to change so much.
And I believe now that removing gluten was key in this last period (this year 2011).

Now I can confirm that gluten affects me!
May this experience serve to others because gluten is evil even if you think you're not affected.

Hi, I don't know where this fit in the already active posts. Feel free of translate it to the proper place.

Accoriding to this study doing an intermittent fasting while consuming vit C and E don't report benefits. But the detail is that this study was made while the participants ate a high carbohidrate diet. I don't know the validity of this, but the most remarkable affirmation is that intermittent fasting arise ROS in a low amounts, then the body try to adapt to this stres,s and that is what report benefits. If you kill those ROS with much antioxidants the effect is null according to them.

Here is the study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25546413

Abstract

Caloric restriction has consistently been shown to extend lifespan and ameliorate aging-related diseases. These effects may be due to diet-induced reactive oxygen species acting to upregulate sirtuins and related protective pathways, which research suggests may be partially inhibited by dietary antioxidant supplementation. Since caloric restriction is not sustainable long-term for most humans, we investigated an alternative dietary approach, intermittent fasting, which is proposed to act on similar biological pathways. We hypothesized that a modified intermittent fasting diet, where participants maintain overall energy balance by alternating between days of fasting (25% of normal caloric intake) and feasting (175% of normal) would increase expression of genes associated with aging and reduce oxidative stress and that these effects would be suppressed by antioxidant supplementation. To assess the tolerability of the diet and to explore effects on biological mechanisms related to aging and metabolism, we recruited a cohort of 24 healthy individuals in a double crossover, double-blinded randomized clinical trial. Study participants underwent two three-week treatment periods: intermittent fasting and intermittent fasting with antioxidant (Vitamins C and E) supplementation. We found strict adherence to study-provided diets and that participants found the diet tolerable, with no adverse clinical findings or weight change. We detected a marginal increase (2.7%) in SIRT3 expression due to the intermittent fasting diet, but no change in expression of other genes or oxidative stress markers analyzed. We also found that intermittent fasting decreased plasma insulin levels (1.01 uU/mL). Although our study suggests that the intermittent fasting dieting paradigm is acceptable in healthy individuals, additional research is needed to further assess the potential benefits and risks.

From another page talking about the same study

http://www.sciencealert.com/doing-the-5-2-diet-avoid-antioxidants-new-research-suggests

Doing the 5:2 diet? Avoid antioxidants, new research suggests

Researchers from the University of Florida (UoF) and the Harvard Medical School in the US decided to investigate just how good it is for people’s health, knowing that previous experiments with fasting mice had seen an increase in their lifespans.

They worked with 24 healthy participants aged between 19 and 30 who over a three-week period alternated between one day of eating 25 percent of their daily caloric intake, and the next, eating 175 percent of their daily caloric intake. For the men, this meant 650 calories on the fasting days and 4,550 calories on the feasting days, and for women, it was slightly less. The participants then spend another three weeks doing the same thing, but also taking antioxidant Vitamins C and E supplements in a pill form. The participants resumed their normal diets for two weeks between the two three-week periods to get them back to where they started.

Now let’s just talk about what they actually ate for a second here, because it’s amazing. According to the press release, on their fasting days, they ate just one meal, but it was a doozy - roast beef, gravy, and mashed potatoes, followed by Oreo cookies and orange sherbet. If that sounds like a feasting day to you, well, check this out - on the feasting days they ate bagels with cream cheese, oatmeal sweetened with honey and raisins, turkey sandwiches, apple sauce, spaghetti with chicken, yogurt, and soft drinks. Oh and they also got lemon pound cake, Snickers bars and vanilla ice cream. WHERE DO I SIGN UP.

“Most of the participants found that fasting was easier than the feasting day, which was a little bit surprising to me,” said one of the team, Michael Guo from the Harvard Medical School. “On the feasting days, we had some trouble giving them enough calories.”

Throughout the experiment, various factors were measured, including changes in weight, blood pressure, heart rate, glucose levels, cholesterol, and their levels of inflammation markers and genes called SIRT3, which are responsible for protective cell responses.

The researchers found that the act of intermittent fasting was causing a slight increase the SIRT3 and SIRT1 genes, which encode proteins called SIRT3 and SIRT1. These proteins belong to a class of proteins called sirtuins, which previous experiments have shown can extend the lifespan of mice if their levels are increased. But here’s the catch - they only work in this way in response to oxidative stress, and the team found that they only increased during the three weeks were antioxidants were avoided. When the participants started taking the supplements, these increases disappeared.

Oxidative stress occurs when there are too many ‘free radicals’ - DNA-damaging toxins - for the body’s immune response to handle, and this happens on a small scale when a person is fasting. In response, the body triggers the production of protective SIRT3 proteins. The same phenomenon could occur when you exercise - the ‘good stress’ you put your body under could be unnecessarily mitigated by the intake of extra antioxidants.

“The hypothesis is that if the body is intermittently exposed to low levels of oxidative stress, it can build a better response to it,” study co-author Martin Wegman from the UoF College of Medicine said in a press release.

“You need some pain, some inflammation, some oxidative stress for some regeneration or repair,” adds one of the team, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh from the Institute on Aging at the UoF. “These young investigators were intrigued by the question of whether some antioxidants could blunt the healthy effects of normal fasting.”

Interestingly, the team found that the increase in SIRT 1 and 3 genes appeared even in the absence of weight-loss, which suggests weight-loss isn’t the trigger here. They also found that levels of insulin dropped as a result of the diet, which means it could also have an anti-diabetic effect. They explain in the journal Rejuvenation Research:

We also found that plasma insulin levels decreased as a result of IF (the intermittent fasting diet), but not IFAO (the intermittent fasting with antioxidant supplementation diet). This suggests that the IF diet may have a beneficial effect on glucose metabolism by lower insulin levels, and perhaps have an anti-diabetic effect. Furthermore, the finding that IFAO did not lower insulin levels suggests that the insulin-lowering effects might be stimulated by IF-induced oxidative stress, which is quenched by the further antioxidant supplementation.”

The sample size is pretty small, so it's not enough evidence to start cutting antioxidants out of your diet just yet, but it's a fascinating result all the same. And it shows that if you want roast beef and gravy with orange sherbet on top, it’s okay with science (but probably not with any of the humans around you).

Re: Intermittent fasting and antioxidant supplementation, not so good?

No studies of that kind work if they are based on carbs.

Now let’s just talk about what they actually ate for a second here, because it’s amazing. According to the press release, on their fasting days, they ate just one meal, but it was a doozy - roast beef, gravy, and mashed potatoes, followed by Oreo cookies and orange sherbet. If that sounds like a feasting day to you, well, check this out - on the feasting days they ate bagels with cream cheese, oatmeal sweetened with honey and raisins, turkey sandwiches, apple sauce, spaghetti with chicken, yogurt, and soft drinks. Oh and they also got lemon pound cake, Snickers bars and vanilla ice cream. WHERE DO I SIGN UP.

It THAT's what they were "feasting" on, no wonder they were stressed and all wonky during fasting. Withdrawal symptoms and detox during a short rest from eating garbage...?

I think that from the papers we've got on the Ketogenic Diet thread, the main thing seems to be that if you are keto-adapted, you don't need quite as many supplements (like Vit C or CoQ10 for example), because your body is perfectly capable of producing them. They DID mention that in some cases they could be counterproductive, though. The problem with this study is that it's not taking into account the "evil carb" variable.

This is one paper that comes to mind. Worth reading!

In the case of other supplements, I think that they are still useful when one is dealing with years long damage, even if one is keto-adapted. But at least for me, it's hard to tell exactly and at what times which ones precisely I would need. It depends on many variables, I think, and on experimenting until one finds the right thing at different times, reading the signs the body sends, etc.

Hi,

I found this article about intermittent fasting with methods description, pros and cons, so maybe it could offer some additional tips for those interested.

_http://authoritynutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-guide/

Nora Gedgaudas also recommended it for body regeneration mechanism to kick in, also the Cs mentioned it in the 3 May 2014 Session, but there are warnings about setbacks and side effects which are mentioned in the above article.

FWIW

Joy

Time restricted eating a type of Intermittent Fasting

Couldn't find any topics dedicated to this, so I'm starting a new thread. It relates to the keto diet and intermittent fasting.
Credit goes to my work colleague who sent me a video on it.
I've been trying this for the last 10 days, and have had some rather positive results.

So far the only thing I've done is switch from 12-13 hour eating window (starting with butter tea around 7.30am and finishing with an evening meal around 7.30pm) to a 9-10 hour eating window (starting with breakfast around 10.30am and finishing around 7pm to try and fit it in around my job).

I started noticing results on day 3:
Deeper/shorter sleep
Waking up more refreshed
More consistent energy
More energy/stamina in general

I've done 2 days fasting before a few times, caloric restricted days, and also tend to eat breakfast late on weekends, and never had these results.
What I put it down to is having nothing other than water outside of the eating hours.
No herbal teas - the video I saw (see last video) suggested that herbal tea required enzymes to break down/metabolize. So along those lines no supplements either.

_http://www.newswise.com/articles/time-restricted-feeding-study-shows-promise-in-helping-people-shed-body-fat
Time-Restricted Feeding Study Shows Promise in Helping People Shed Body Fat
Article ID: 667254
Released: 6-Jan-2017 10:05 AM EST
Source Newsroom: University of Alabama at Birmingham

ximage.php,qimage=,_images,_uploads,_2017,_01,_6,_eating_early_final.jpeg,awidth=502,aheight=334.pagespeed.ic.0qNET3Pa-o.webp

Newswise — BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – University of Alabama at Birmingham researchers are trying to find out whether changing a person’s eating schedule can help them lose weight and burn fat.

The first human test of early time-restricted feeding, or eTRF, found that this meal-timing strategy reduced swings in hunger and altered fat and carbohydrate burning patterns, which may help with losing weight. With eTRF, people eat their last meal by the mid-afternoon and do not eat again until breakfast the next morning. The findings were unveiled during a presentation today at The Obesity Society Annual Meeting at Obesity Week 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana.

“Eating only during a much smaller window of time than people are typically used to may help with weight loss,” said Courtney Peterson, Ph.D., an associate professor in the Department of Nutrition Sciences at UAB. “We found that eating between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. followed by an 18-hour daily fast kept appetite levels more even throughout the day, in comparison to eating between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., which is what the average American does.”

This new research, funded by a TOS Early Career Research Grant awarded in 2014, suggests that eating a very early dinner, or even skipping dinner, may have some benefits for losing weight, although further studies need to take place to confirm that theory. Previous animal studies showed that eTRF helped rodents burn more fat.

The human body has an internal clock, and many aspects of metabolism are at their optimal functioning in the morning. Therefore, eating in alignment with the body’s circadian clock by eating earlier in the day may positively influence health. This first test of eTRF in humans follows rodent studies of this approach to weight loss, which previously found that eTRF reduced body fat and decreased the risk of chronic diseases in rodents.

During the human study, Peterson and her colleagues followed 11 men and women with excess weight over four days of eating between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., and four days of eating between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Researchers then tested the impact of eTRF on calories burned, fat burned and appetite. Participants tried both eating schedules, ate the same number of calories both times and completed all testing under supervision.

Researchers found that, although eTRF did not affect how many total calories participants burned, it reduced daily hunger swings and increased fat burning during several hours at night. It also improved metabolic flexibility, which is the body’s ability to switch between burning carbs and burning fats.

Whether eTRF helps with long-term weight loss or improves other aspects of health is still unknown. Peterson says that, because the human study involved only a small number of participants, a larger, more comprehensive study will need to take place.

I'm skinny, so was concerned by the possible weight loss (I loose weight easily). Eating the same amount of food in a shorter time frame however seems to have caused about 1kg of weight gain in 10 days, which is generally unheard of for me. Estimating based on what my weigh scales say, it's about 40% muscle and 60% fat.

_https://draxe.com/time-restricted-eating/
Time-Restricted Eating: Is It When, Not What, You Eat That Really Matters?

When you hear the word diet, you probably think of something that’s hard and confusing to follow, leaves you feeling deprived, and involves a list of foods to avoid, right?

Well, what if there’s another way to lose weight fast that’s dramatically different from most standard “diet” plans? And what if this alternative essentially eliminates the need for calorie-counting, sacrifice, deprivation and even willpower?

What Is Time-Restricted Eating?

Time-restricted eating (TRE) is a type of intermittent fasting, which in one way or another has been done by humans across the world for thousands of years. While most initial studies on TRE have been done using animals, humans are believed to likely react the same way. It makes sense to researchers, considering daily fasting was likely something that was practiced unintentionally by our ancestors who didn’t have 24/7 access to food like we do today.

And without even knowing about the scientifically proven health benefits of fasting, nearly every religious group throughout history has practiced some sort of variation of fasting rituals.

According to researchers at the Regulatory Biology Laboratory at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, when we eat may be as important – or even more important – than what we eat. The Salk Institute in California has been at the forefront of the time-restricted eating phenomenon, working to understand the impacts of fasting for health and how the body reacts when its forced to fast for the majority of the day.

Researchers first stumbled upon this breakthrough in animal studies when mice were allowed to eat whatever they wanted, but only during a set time of day. The mice on the time-restricted eating plan ate what was considered a “poor diet” high in calories, sugar and fat, yet they still didn’t gain the weight that they were expected to.

However, once they had access to the same food any time they wanted, the mice’s weight gain doubled despite eating the same number of calories.

9-hour of access to food caused 26 percent weight gain in the mice
15-hour access to food caused 43 percent weight gain
24-hour access to food caused 65 percent weight gain

Their stunning conclusion was that periods of regularly fasting for 12–16 hours a day might dramatically impact body weight. Time-restricted feeding caused less weight gain than all-hour access for mice eating a high-fat, high-sugar diet over 12 to 26 weeks, and it also led to weight loss of up to 12 percent when applied to mice that were already obese.

What does this mean for the dieting industry? You might be able to eat whatever you want and still lose weight, simply by limiting the period of time in which you consume food. And this might even be true if you increase calories — especially calories from fat, because your body seems to burn these best during the remainder of the day, your “fasting” period. However, imagine how much fat you can lose when following a smart, healing diet in this new style of eating?

How Time-Restricted Eating Works

As you can see, time-restricted eating is truly different from standard diet approaches, which usually fall into one of two categories: either calorie-restricted diets or food-restrictive diets. Time-restricted eating, on the other hand, simply allows you to choose the foods that work best for you and eat them in any eight- or nine-hour window that you choose.

Fasting for roughly 15 or 16 hours a day — possibly even as little as 12 hours — while keeping the times that you eat to a shorter period appears to have significant effects on hormone levels that determine your metabolism, blood sugar, and whether or not you burn fat.

The idea of eating as much as you want — and of any foods that you want — plus that calories don’t actually matter in the long run for weight maintenance goes against pretty much everything we’ve ever been told about losing and gaining weight. But yes, this is what results from several clinical trials using animals suggest.

These recent eye-opening studies show that by only eating during a shortened eight- to nine-hour window each day, your body is more likely to burn fat and keep your weight at a healthy level. And this even seems to be the case without the need to cut calories, avoid entire food groups, or count macronutrients like carbs and fat. How is this possible?

It appears that our bodily functions operate best when they act something like clockwork — preferring to schedule our repair, maintenance and “system backup” during planned downtimes. This means that when the body follows a predictable schedule of eating and fasting, our hormones might respond by producing fat burn and weight loss — potentially even rapidly.

Maybe you’re convinced that TRE can work for weight loss, but you wonder if fasting is healthy.

And aside from manageable weight loss, other benefits of fasting and practicing time-restricted eating might include:

lower levels of inflammation
better management over blood sugar levels and a lower risk for developing diabetes
enhanced detoxification
better control over appetite hormones, including leptin and ghrelin
improved heart health
better immunity
lower risk of cancer
improved brain function and lower risk for dementia
better muscle recovery from workouts
and less harmful effects from aging or stress

A study conducted by the University of California San Diego involving 2,200 overweight women found that time-restricted eating also has positive effects on immunity and blood sugar control, which are closely tied to weight gain as well. Poor blood sugar control is a risk factor for diabetes, obesity and cancer, among other things. When someone is overly sensitive to insulin, the “fat-storage hormone” that signals cells to take in calories from food, more is produced by the pancreas, and this promotes the growth of cells, even mutated cancer cells.

After comparing women not eating or drinking anything for at least 12 hours with those who fasted less than 12 hours, researchers found that women who fasted for longer nightly intervals had better blood sugar control than those who didn’t fast as long. And this was independent of other eating behaviors such as how many calories women were eating.

How To Start Practicing Time-Restricted Eating

All of this might seem too good to be true, but the early research results are undeniable. So how can you implement time-restricted eating in a realistic way?

More research is still needed to determine the ideal meal schedule, period of fasting and period of restricted eating. For example, we still aren’t totally sure if it matters when someone starts her fast each day or how many days a week of time-restricted eating is best. As of now, the recommendation is to go between 12–16 hours without eating several times per week, but some people see even better results from further restricting their eating windows to only 5–6 hours daily.

Of course, when you are eating, what you choose to eat is still important for overall health. You don’t need to count calories, but aim to make the vast majority of your diet whole foods, including quality protein foods, healthy fats and plenty of different vegetables.

Luckily, it also appears that you don’t need to follow time-restricted eating every single day to see results. Eating within an eight- or nine-hour window most days of the week — about four to five — seems to still do the trick. In fact, Dave Zinczenko, author of the top-selling book “The 8-Hour Diet,” recommends following time-restricted eating only three or four days a week.

For many people, going against the norm and skipping breakfast seems to be the easiest way to practice time-restricted eating. Although for decades we’ve been told that breakfast is “the most important meal of the day” and that we’re doomed to gain weight without it, this doesn’t seem to necessarily be true for everybody. While time-restricted eating really relies on eating within a shortened window, and doesn’t mean you need to skip breakfast necessarily, it might be the most manageable way to follow a fasting program.

Are There Risks of Practicing Time-Restricted Eating?

TRE might not be for everyone, and some people appear to do better with practicing various types of fasting in general than others. Fasting has an impact on blood sugar, so anyone dealing with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) should steer clear of fasting until glucose and insulin levels are well managed.

Fasting can also impact hormones, including cortisol and adrenaline. Women might be more impacted by these effects than men, although that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Fasting isn’t meant to become a source of stress, but in some people with compromised or high cortisol and adrenaline levels, a further increase in these hormones from fasting can result in some unwanted side effects.

If you have existing adrenal or hormonal issues, or you’re healthy and try TRE but notice you’re experiencing fatigue, anxiety and irregular periods due to the hormone disruption, then TRE might not be for you — it might be better to eat more often throughout the course of the day.

So for anyone who may not have felt the full benefits of ketosis this may well be of help. It's quite a small (but practical) test of will power too.
It seems to be important for regulating the circadian clock too (see first video below).

The only other negative things to watch out for is dehydration (make sure you drink enough water - which can be tricky as drinking with food slows down digestion), and along those lines watch out for constipation.

Further reading/research:
_https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

https://youtu.be/-R-eqJDQ2nU

The video below is set to start at 2h 27m (do be aware Joe Rogans podcasts contain strong language)

https://youtu.be/uxM_CLsvieE?start=8823

Re: Time restricted eating

Yesterday I ate breakfast at around 9am and lunch at around 2pm, and that was it for the day, just water afterwards. I was trying just trying to fast a bit, but now that I'm read the info you posted I'm curious to try it out daily. At first the hunger was uncomfortable but as night rolled around it wasn't that bad. I'm going to watch the videos tomorrow, read the other info just now. For me, losing weight is the hard part, not putting on weight, so it will be interesting to compare our reactions.
The difficulty I'm anticipating is not drinking yerba mate between 4-6pm, since that's typically what gives me a boost for the rest of the day.

I wonder how smoking fits into this picture, since the body has to somehow process what it's absorbing through the smoke. Not sure about all the processes that take place to process nicotine and other substances in tobacco smoke. Perhaps trial and error will be helpful here. :cool2:

Thank you for sharing! I'll post about my results in a few days

I've been doing this for a few months, also did it for a period some years ago. It works well for me.

It might however be useful to clarify; intermittent fasting in many cases means precisely the same as this "time restricted eating". Although intermittent fasting also can mean fasting one day every now and then, the way most people use it is to shorten the eating window every day.

RedFox said:
So for anyone who may not have felt the full benefits of ketosis this may well be of help. It's quite a small (but practical) test of will power too.
It seems to be important for regulating the circadian clock too (see first video below).
On the topic of circadian rhythms, there are two types of circadian clocks in the body.

1. is the suprachiasmatic nuclei in the hypothalamus (the central circadian clock) which is entrained by light cycles. So light in the morning, and no light in the evening maintains this function

2. are the peripheral clocks in the CLOCK genes in peripheral cells. These are entrained by food intake. Hence, eating in the morning is important for setting peripheral clock rhythms. To add to this, eating after dark is a great way to de-synchronize the peripheral clocks (assuming one is blocking blue light at night time - which is a requirement for optimal functioning)

So, if you were eating at 7:30pm every night, this would naturally mess up your chronobiological and circadian rhythmicity. Hence, eating earlier on in the day should increase sleep quality.

Mechanisms of clocks are laid out in these two blog posts by Bill Lagakos:
http://caloriesproper.com/entraining-central-and-peripheral-circadian-rhythms/
http://caloriesproper.com/meal-timing-and-peripheral-circadian-clocks/

I'm skinny, so was concerned by the possible weight loss (I loose weight easily). Eating the same amount of food in a shorter time frame however seems to have caused about 1kg of weight gain in 10 days, which is generally unheard of for me. Estimating based on what my weigh scales say, it's about 40% muscle and 60% fat.
Good to see you are getting positive results, but what concerns me is the longer-term effects of the stress-hormone cortisol and adrenaline release in response to a fasted state. I think that you and me may be similar in some respects, Redfox. We both find it difficult to lose weight, and find it easy to lose weight if we do not maintain high caloric intake.

I am tending toward thinking that this state is due to poor thyroid function - possibly subclinical hypothyroid and excess cortisol. This can be one of the reasons why some people "feel good" in a fasted state, because they are basically running off of stress hormones. In my own case, my health went massively downhill when I went on a low-carb/ketogenic diet. I developed dandruff, serious dry skin issues, digestive/IBS symptoms, fatigue, poor circulation and food insensitivities. This fits in perfectly with stress-state metabolism and low thyroid activity. There are lots of people who report this from low-carb diets. For some people, full ketosis/low-carb/intermittent fasting seems to be perfect, but for others it can be disastrous.

If fat utilization (beta oxidation)/absorption is poor, then the cell is deprived of energy. If carbohydrates are scarce, then the metabolsim is forced to switch from thyroid metabolism to the HPA axis and begin releasing cortisol which progressively breaks down muscle tissue to provide glucose for the cell to use for energy. Cortisol also suppresses thyroid hormone, which begins a feedback loop of lower metabolism. At the start, a person can feel like they have loads of energy because they are running off of stress hormones, but this gradually declines and results in muscle wasting and fatigue. What my point is, is that if someone is prone to being underweight and under chronic physiological stress, then I don't see fasting as a viable/nor safe long term option to regain proper metabolism back.

I remember the C's saying something about ketosis/low carb being something that will take some people a long time to adapt to. I am under the impression that for these people (myself included), regaining proper thyroid function and metabolic efficiency should be undertaken before attempting ketosis and fasting etc. Just my thoughts, fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom