Amenorrhea

lux12 said:
It was all mostly a mere mirroring of my fathers own conflict, because of his never ending denial of confessing himself as a gay, in reverse.

Interesting, but painful, how we compensate for our closest ones' lacks, isn't it?

The problem is, we live in a world from which all true femininity has been wiped. And one can't really say that a more masculine side is prevailing either as what we have today is a highly distorted form of it, one where a man is equated with an emotionless machine that can look and act authoritative. Like a "man", as they say...
Also, how can masculinity - as well as femininity - be real and genuine in its manifestation without its counter? I don't think it can.
In one way or another the raping of femininity combined with a total distortion of masculinity leaves a very deep wound in every single one of us men and women. In the case of women, some of us react to it by becoming ashamed of our genders, not getting menstrual periods, becoming infertile, some react by behaving like men, some become feminists, some become mothers and then try to regain their sense of value by pursuing highly challenging careers that occupy 90% of their time but makes them feel more like a person - as in: man; and some enslave theirselves to an industry purely interested in their bodies, and they do so in the belief that they are becoming freer... it is a very sad picture.

lux12 said:
Whatever, all this thing is pretty much complex, a puzzle with many loops.

Indeed lux12.

The good thing is that i just got my period this morning, but there wasn't any announcing symptoms like discomfort or pain, which is great!
Seems like everything is getting better!

I tried figuring this one out on my own but have been mulling over this again, and again for the past couple of weeks, without having reached any conclusion.

Since I can't afford continuing private or alternative treatments for my amenorrhea I have gone the NHS route (our national health care system) which is free, although generally with a really poor approach to disease.
A couple of weeks ago I went to the gynecologist. She prescribed me Provera, a (evil nasty) pill of synthetic progesterone. I tried explaining to her that I had already been prescribed bio identical progesterone by a private doctor and would rather not take any synthetic hormones, but she had never heard of bio identical hormones and Provera was the only root of treatment she was willing to prescribe. Trying any other doctor will almost certainly result similarly.

She booked another ultrasound and another appointment to see me after 4 weeks, she will then be able to know what further course of action to follow depending on whether Provera has caused my period to return. I am supposed to take it for 10 days.
I came home with the pills and the two boxes have been seating on my shelve since. I'm looking at them, and they're looking back at me, but I'm really figthing the idea. Side effects even include cancer for God's sake! Sure, this is for prolonged use but, nevertheless, it does not bode well, at all. Other common side effects for less prolonged use include depression, fatigue, water retention, headaches, and the list goes on, and on. In fact, I had been prescribed this same pill when I was 15 and had a few months of amenorrhea. I do remember water retention and feeling tired back then.

So, I'm not sure of how to proceed. I am REALLY fighting the idea of a massive dose of synthetic hormones invading my body, but not taking them means that the gynecologist won't know what further course of action to take, nor get closer to what the root problem may be. If progesterone doesn't kick start my period she'll have another idea of what course of action to take next, and even if I don't follow her then suggested course of treatment, at least I can do some digging on my own with the new knowledge. Not to mention that if I keep going to her I have my ultrasounds and blood tests for free.

I thought of ordering a different progesterone cream as I suspect that the previous dose I had been taking wasn't really enough to do it, but then again, if that doesn't work what will I say to the gynecologist, "oh well, you know, you did say you had never heard of bio identical hormones and that's why you gave me provera, but I decided to do bio identical anyway and now I want your feedback!"...I can't tell her that, of course!

I'm in a bit of a quandary here, my partner thinks I shouldn't take Provera even if just for ten days, but I'm beginning to wonder. Are we making this Provera thing bigger then it is? Any thoughts about any of this are appreciated :flowers:, I think I've exhausted this whole subject in my head over thinking it already.

Also, I've already re scheduled my appointment for July to buy me some more time to think it over.

Gertrudes said:
I tried figuring this one out on my own but have been mulling over this again, and again for the past couple of weeks, without having reached any conclusion.
Hi G,

Apologies if I've missed it, I looked over some of your posts and so far didn't see a reference to pain. Aside from the bloating, are or have you been in any pain or discomfort?

edit: clarity

truth seeker said:
Gertrudes said:
Hi G,

Apologies if I've missed it, I looked over some of your posts and so far didn't see a reference to pain. Aside from the bloating, are or have you been in any pain or discomfort?

edit: clarity

Hi truth seeker,

No, not with the amenorrhea. In fact, I am in no physical discomfort. I could overlook this all matter but some of what is concerning me is the fact that I am not producing progesterone (and probably also oestrogen). I could keep applying progesterone cream, but that may gradually suppress my natural ability to produce it. I don't think that the long terms effects of this hormonal lack will be good.

I'm not completely sure of the following, but I seem to have become more irritable since my period stopped though, which could be connected to that lack of progesterone. Not sure if it's my imagination though.

I have had no bloating that was connected to amenorrhea, only to stress and diet, at least as far as I'm aware.

Gertrudes said:
I could overlook this all matter but some of what is concerning me is the fact that I am not producing progesterone (and probably also oestrogen).

Do you know the actual levels of your hormones? I think knowing which hormone(s) is mostly deficient or overly present, you might have an idea on how to tackle it. But then again, I don't know. Maybe reading "From Hormone Hell to Hormone Well" by Randolph and James can give you some ideas? I have the book at home, so if you can't get it, I can send it to you if you want. It also includes some information on different blood tests for checking hormone levels.

I was also wondering if your sleeping patterns are good? As sleep plays a big role as well in eventual hormonal balance.

Hope it will get better!

Gertrudes said:
No, not with the amenorrhea. In fact, I am in no physical discomfort. I could overlook this all matter but some of what is concerning me is the fact that I am not producing progesterone (and probably also oestrogen). I could keep applying progesterone cream, but that may gradually suppress my natural ability to produce it. I don't think that the long terms effects of this hormonal lack will be good.
I can understand your concerns. Because I don't feel qualified to tell you which way to go on this, I'll just say that perhaps it's best to go with your gut feelings.

It does sound, however, that the NHS gyne, unsurprisingly, isn't taking your concerns to heart. It's the same in the US in that the better care seems reserved for those with money to spend.

Perhaps your body is still continuing to adjust to dietary and other changes? That was the case for me with my ovary issues.

Gertrudes said:
I'm not completely sure of the following, but I seem to have become more irritable since my period stopped though, which could be connected to that lack of progesterone. Not sure if it's my imagination though.
I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's not your imagination as hormones effect us in many different ways.

I assume you're still taking supplements (magnesium, etc)?

truth seeker said:
It does sound, however, that the NHS gyne, unsurprisingly, isn't taking your concerns to heart. It's the same in the US in that the better care seems reserved for those with money to spend.

Perhaps your body is still continuing to adjust to dietary and other changes? That was the case for me with my ovary issues.

Oh, the last thing on their minds, I feel, is our concerns as patients. Honestly, most of the times I feel like I'm talking to a wall, not only that, but making questions is not very well received, at least from my experience.

I don't know truth seeker, it will be two years in August that I haven't had my period, and it stopped during a period of extreme stress, and that, I think, was the main cause. I have a very thin endometrial lining, apparently, which is a sign that ovulation isn't occurring.

truth seeker said:
I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's not your imagination as hormones effect us in many different ways.

I assume you're still taking supplements (magnesium, etc)?

Indeed, and progesterone is known for its calming effects, hence my connection.

I am still taking some supplements, but much less then before as I feel my needs have decreased. I take daily vitamin C, magnesium, cod fish oil and fish oil, vitamin D and multivitamin occasionally. Have recently restarted L-glutamin again due to something I ate that caused a few days of severe bloating. It's much better since.

Oxajil said:
Do you know the actual levels of your hormones? I think knowing which hormone(s) is mostly deficient or overly present, you might have an idea on how to tackle it.

Yes, I've had a few blood tests done. Both in September through a private doctor and in April through NHS. In both, my progesterone levels were extremely low. In September my oestrogen was also close to nothing, and on the last one they didn't test for oestrogen but for sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). SHBG is supposedly a marker for oestrogen but I am not entirely convinced of it. In September I had normal SHBG but almost no oestrogen for example.

Oxajil said:
Maybe reading "From Hormone Hell to Hormone Well" by Randolph and James can give you some ideas? I have the book at home, so if you can't get it, I can send it to you if you want. It also includes some information on different blood tests for checking hormone levels.

Thanks Oxajil, I appreciate it. I just checked it on amazon and there is an edition from 2004 for £1.84! So I will get that copy.

Oxajil said:
I was also wondering if your sleeping patterns are good? As sleep plays a big role as well in eventual hormonal balance.

My sleep has had its ups and downs. It has been like that for years with me and my partner having such different working schedules. But then again, one has to sacrifice some things in order to obtain others....

Gertrudes said:
I don't know truth seeker, it will be two years in August that I haven't had my period, and it stopped during a period of extreme stress, and that, I think, was the main cause. I have a very thin endometrial lining, apparently, which is a sign that ovulation isn't occurring.
Actually, the more I think about my own situation, the timing of the return of my period came when I began to acknowledge something I had been avoiding. While I didn't consider it stress at the time, I suppose there really is no other name for it. The part in bold above reminded me of that.

So perhaps the issue that caused it is still in some way unresolved?

Gertrudes said:
I am still taking some supplements, but much less then before as I feel my needs have decreased. I take daily vitamin C, magnesium, cod fish oil and fish oil, vitamin D and multivitamin occasionally. Have recently restarted L-glutamin again due to something I ate that caused a few days of severe bloating. It's much better since.
Boswellia and milk thistle may be of help as well with bloating as they help the liver and digestion. Also, as Oxajil said, getting enough sleep in a dark room is crucial.

Hi Getrudes

This is a very quick and messy reply, and I apologise for that.

I can't claim to offer any advice - I have however been putting together a theory that seems to tie many problems (autoimmune, healing, circulation, fatigue, digestion etc) together. The really short version is reperfusion injury (constriction or loss of blood supply, followed by reintroduction of blood supply - leading to either healing or cascading damage/inflammation based on the state of the body [resources] and mind [emotional/stress state]) cycles if the conditions are negative. It becomes self sustaining damage.
So with that in mind I cross references it to any research and seem to have run across some correlation.

_http://www.docstoc.com/docs/80368287/Athletic-Amenorrhea-and-Endothelial-Dysfunction

Athletic Amenorrhea and Endothelial Dysfunction

ABSTRACT
Objectives:
To determine if menstrual status changed in amenorrheic college runners over a 2-year period and what effect this had on brachial artery flow-mediated dilation.

Participants:
Eighteen athletes first studied in our labo-ratory 2 years prior were available for follow-up. Nine of the 10 original women with athletic amenorrhea (mean + SE, age 21.3 + 1.2 yrs), and 9 of the 11 eu-menorrheics/controls (age 20.1 + 0.5 yrs) were studied 2 years after baseline measurements.

Methods:
Questionnaires/personal interviews and blood draws were performed to determine menstrual status. A non-invasive ultrasound technique was used to determine brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (endothelium-dependent).

Results:
Menstrual status changed in 7 of 9 original amenorrheic subjects (2 were taking hormone replace-ment, 2 were taking oral contraceptives, 3 had a natu-ral menstrual period prior to testing, and 2 remained amenorrheic). Endothelium-dependent brachial artery dilation, measured as the percent change in maximal brachial artery diameter from baseline during reactive hyperemia, was improved in the original amenorrheic subjects (a 1.1% + 1.0 increase in the original study ver-sus 5.6% + 1.1 increase in the current study,
P=0.01) while in the eumenorrheic/control group there was no change (6.3% + 1.7 versus 8.0% + 1.3, P=0.42)

Conclusions:
Menstrual status changed in 7 of the 9 original amenorrheic athletes, and this change was associated with an improvement in brachial artery flow-mediated dilation.

The method they used was administering nitroglycerine (which from my research is one of the stronger methods of preventing reperfusion injury) - so I would presume that the other supplements that can protect against reperfusion injury and/or improve blood supply would help.
L-arginine is one way to raise NO levels of the blood (similar to nitroglycerine), however it should be researched thoroughly (it raises blood pressure for one) and is not for long term use. I'm currently investigating the link between dopamine levels and vascular pressure (so L-Tyrosine or L-Phenylalanine may help).
NAC, vitimin C and melatonin (sleeping in darkness) prevent reperfusion injury too.
One of the key amino's that offers the most protections seems to by Glycine (I'm currently taking Magnesium Glycine/Lycine to help heal my intestine).

Anger/hate turned inwards can trigger vascular constriction so should be avoided (it may even be able to localise the constriction, so if you 'hate your feet' you may restrict the blood flow there). Physical and mental trauma can cause massive vascular constriction too (so can reliving them in flashbacks or situations that trigger the memory of them even if you are unconscious of it).

The secondary layer to preventing the cycle is cytokine reduction, modulating the immune response and reducing oxidative stress help here.

The last major piece is that reperfusion injury effects the intestine greatly - with enough damage the rest of the bodies major organs become damaged too. Damaged intestines means poor mood (anger turned inwards) and lack or resources needed to sway the reperfusion back to a positive outcome. The protective layers of the vegal nerve become damaged and the vegal nerves cytokine inhibiting response starts to fail. Chronic cytokine responses and inflammation cause blood flow restrictions - leading to more/repeated reperfusion injury......

I have a whole heap of research papers to back this up, but it is taking some considerable time to put it together coherently.

Some other things papers that may help

_http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue56/article2333.html
Rhodiola rosea in Traditional Medicine

Traditional folk medicine used R. rosea to increase physical endurance, work productivity, longevity, resistance to high altitude sickness, and to treat fatigue, depression, anemia, impotence, gastrointestinal ailments, infections, and nervous system disorders. In mountain villages of Siberia, a bouquet of roots is still given to couples prior to marriage to enhance fertility and assure the birth of healthy children.2 In Middle Asia, R. rosea tea was the most effective treatment for cold and flu during severe Asian winters. Mongolian doctors prescribed it for tuberculosis and cancer.13 For centuries, only family members knew where to harvest the wild "golden roots" and the methods of extraction.2 Siberians secretly transported the herb down ancient trails to the Caucasian Mountains where it was traded for Georgian wines, fruits, garlic, and honey. Chinese emperors sent expeditions to Siberia to bring back the "golden root" for medicinal preparations.

Linnaeus wrote of R. rosea as an astringent and for the treatment of hernia, leucorrhoea (vaginal discharge), hysteria, and headache.4,7 In 1755 R. rosea was included in the first Swedish Pharmacopoeia. Vikings used the herb to enhance their physical strength and endurance.14 German researchers described the benefits of R. rosea for pain, headache, scurvy, hemorrhoids, as a stimulant, and as an anti-inflammatory.15,16

In 1961, G.V. Krylov, a Russian botanist and taxonomist in the Department of Botany at the Novosibirsk Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, led an expedition to the cedar taiga in the Altai Mountains of southern Siberia where he located and identified the "golden root" as Rhodiola rosea.17 Extracts of the R. rosea root were found to contain powerful adaptogens. Research revealed that it protected animals and humans from mental and physical stress, toxins, and cold.2,17 The quest for new medicines to treat diseases such as cancer and radiation sickness, and to enhance physical and mental performance, led to the discovery of a group of phenylpropanoids that are specific to R. rosea. (See Phytochemistry section below.)

[..]

Endocrine and Reproductive Effects

Neuroendocrine animal studies showed that R. rosea, like other adaptogens, enhanced thyroid function without causing hyperthyroidism.81 In addition, the thymus gland functioned better and was protected from the involution that occurs with aging. The adrenal glands functioned with better reserve and without the kind of hypertrophy caused by other psychostimulants.

Egg maturation was enhanced in rats and an anabolic effect in males (increased muscle building and gonad strengthening similar to effects of low-dose testosterone) was observed in a number of species. Administration of rhodosin (extract of R. rosea for intravenous, intramuscular, or peritoneal injection) to sexually mature female mice over a period of 4 weeks prolonged menstruation from 1.3 days (control) to 2.8 days (rhodosin treated), reduced the resting period from 3.8 days (control) to 2.2 days (rhodosin treated), and increased the relative number of estrus days from 29 percent to 56 percent. In the majority of rhodosin treated animals, the number of growing follicles, the oocyte volumes, the accumulation of RNA in oocyte cytoplasm, the proliferation of the lining and glandular cells of the uterine horns, and the preparation of uterine mucosa for fertilization all increased. In sexually mature mice, rhodosin increased the mean weight of the uterine horns from 39.6+4.11 mg to 59.5+1.59 mg and the mean weight of the ovaries from 6.4+0.65 mg to 9.1+0.45 mg. However, the administration of rhodosin to sexually immature female white mice for 3 weeks did not affect sexual maturation, the onset of estrus, the weight of ovaries or uterine horns, or the maturation of follicles. Thus, it is probable that the estrogenic effects of R. rosea preparations depend upon a specific hormonal milieu.82,83

These pre-clinical investigations led to a study of R. rosea extract in women suffering from amenorrhea (loss of menstrual cycles). Forty women with amenorrhea were given R. rosea (either 100 mg R. rosea extract orally twice a day for 2 weeks, or 1 ml rhodosin intramuscularly for 10 days). In some subjects the treatment cycle was repeated 2-4 times. Normal menses were restored in 25 women, 11 of whom became pregnant. In those with normal menses, the mean length of the uterine cavity increased from 5.5 cm to 7.0 cm (normal) after R. rosea treatment.82,83 One of the authors (Dr. Brown) has treated in his practice several women who had failed to conceive with standard fertility drugs, and who become pregnant within several months of beginning R. rosea extract. These preliminary clinical observations warrant controlled follow-up clinical trials. Using the in vitro estrogen receptor competition assay, Patricia Eagon, Ph.D. (personal communication, December 2001) recently found that R. rosea extract showed strong estrogen binding properties that require further characterization.

In an open study, 26 out of 35 men with erectile dysfunction and/or premature ejaculation (of 1-20 years duration) responded to R. rosea (150-200 mg/day for 3 months) with substantially improved sexual function, normalization of prostatic fluid, and an increase in 17-ketosteroids in urine.56,69

Cardioprotective Effects

Cardioprotective effects of R. rosea include: prevention of stress-induced cardiac damage,80,81,84 decreased myocardial catecholamines and cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) levels; and reduced adrenal catecholamine release80,81 (see Figure 2). Furthermore, R. rosea activation of mu-opiate receptors in heart muscle prevented reperfusion arrhythmias in animal hearts. This effect could be blocked by naloxone injection (known to inhibit mu-opiate receptors), thus confirming that the anti-arrhythmic effect of R. rosea is associated with the mu-opiate receptors in myocardial (heart) muscle.84

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24015

Vascular changes in traumatic amenorrhea and hypomenorrhea.
Polishuk WZ, Siew FP, Gordon R, Lebenshart P.
Abstract
Pelvic angiography was performed in 12 cases of amenorrhea and hypomenorrhea which developed following curettage of abortion and in the puerperium. Six cases of similar age and obstetric history with normal menstrual cycles served as control. Pelvic angiography revealed widespread vascular occlusion of myometrial arteries, in seven of the twelve cases. These findings account for the small amount of endometrium removed on diagnostic curettage in these cases as well as the greatly reduced menstrual loss. The poor obstetric history of the cases studied may well be due to this excessive vascular damage.
PIP:
In 12 women with amenorrhea or hypomenorrhea which developed following curettage for abortion or in the puerperium, 10 had hypomenorrhea and 2 had amenorrhea; there were 6 control cases. Pelvic angiography was done during the proliferative phase of cycles prior to Day 10. The uterine vascular bed was studied by the Seldinger retrograde femoral technique using 2 methods. In each case, a total volume of 30 ml of 80% sodium iothalamate (Angio-Conray) was used. Over 50% of the cases of hypomenorrhea showed significantly reduced vascularity in the endometrium. The poor obstetric history of these patients, with frequent early spontaneous abortions, may be due to the extensive vascular damage to the endometrium with fibrosis. Also these changes may account for the small amount of endometrium removed at diagnostic curettage as well as the greatly reduced menstrual loss. Radiographic findings are illustrated.

So I cannot say for sure, but based on what I've learnt would say that your condition may well be related to lack of proper blood flow. Incidentally, my fat intolerance appears to be caused by the same so your digestive problems are likely also caused by the same.

truth seeker said:
So perhaps the issue that caused it is still in some way unresolved?

Could very well be. For most of my life any negative feelings were felt in my chest, it always felt as if something, a huge ball was simply stuck there unable to move. Since I began to untangle unresolved issues, and particularly since 2010 when I finally began to speak about them, it was as if suddenly my chest was unlocked and all negative feelings and sensations moved down into my abdomen. It now feels more visceral, and somehow much closer to their real root. Whilst before I simply couldn't, much as I tried, unknot the sensations that were stuck in my chest, now it's like they belong where they should. However, even though I am generally in good health and have plenty of energy, any physical dysfunctions seem to be stuck in my abdomen.

Gertrudes said:
Boswellia and milk thistle may be of help as well with bloating as they help the liver and digestion. Also, as Oxajil said, getting enough sleep in a dark room is crucial.

Thanks truth seeker, glutamin so far seems to have completely healed whatever caused the bloating though. I'm testing whether it was butter, have eliminated it for a week, last day being today.

RedFox said:
I can't claim to offer any advice - I have however been putting together a theory that seems to tie many problems

That was very helpful RedFox. I have researched a bit on what you posted yesterday, but will have to do a much more thourough research before posting further on it.

I've read the article of the first excerpt you posted on athletic amenorrhea and endothelial dysfunction It is also mentioned there how some athletes regained their menses by increasing caloric consumption and decreasing their training. Given that my work is exercise and that I have very little body fat, I have always suspected of a propensity to athletic amenorrhea, which in this case may have simply been triggered by other factors. What you wrote about reperfusion injury (had never heard of it before by the way) rings true. Not to mention that I've always had circulation problems. I will have to read that paper more thoroughly and do further research on the brachial artery, although there seems to be a clear connection to amenorrhea, I am not yet clear as to how exactly one affects the other.

The other thing I will now try is Rhodiola rosea, mentioned in the second excerpt you added. The results were very promising.

RedFox said:
So I cannot say for sure, but based on what I've learnt would say that your condition may well be related to lack of proper blood flow.
Incidentally, my fat intolerance appears to be caused by the same so your digestive problems are likely also caused by the same.

You were also taking cold/colder showers, right? I don't know if you noticed anything yet, but since taking cold I noticed a great improvement in my digestion, and in particular my tolerance to fat. That was, in fact, quite remarkable.
As has been mentioned in the Cryogenic Chamber Therapy thread, the cold seems to work by increasing blood flow in the body's core where the organs, parts essential for survival, are, therefore helping digestion, apparently.

ADDED: I decided not to take Provera, at least not for now. I will order a professional/stronger formula of another brand of Progesterone, Kokoro suggested earlier by Scarlet. I don't want to keep taking progesterone, but right now I think that the potential for bone density loss (related to lack of progesterone) is calling for some supplementation. I will be taking a much stronger dose to see if that kick starts my period.

Gertrudes said:
You were also taking cold/colder showers, right? I don't know if you noticed anything yet, but since taking cold I noticed a great improvement in my digestion, and in particular my tolerance to fat. That was, in fact, quite remarkable.
As has been mentioned in the Cryogenic Chamber Therapy thread, the cold seems to work by increasing blood flow in the body's core where the organs, parts essential for survival, are, therefore helping digestion, apparently.

Yup taking cold showers, and the first thing I noticed was it helped a lot. The second thing I noticed was it made things Much worse. My fat tolerance, digestion and energy levels crashed. Things picked up by going slowly/taking it more easy on how cold the shower was. Then I was hit by an unexpected emotional event (loss of my current job contract), which again caused a relapse (I couldn't tolerate the cold showers at this point again).
So I've been building a theory on how depletion in the body of key factors, plus our responses to emotional trauma (based on previous trauma) and emotional conditions set the state of our bodies blood flow, which then either allow things to heal or not (the physical and emotional elements are entwined here). Having noticed that cold showers with the right attitude (not 'I must' or through some sort of self punishment - which made the symptoms worse, but instead gentle acceptance and righteous anger - anger directed out rather than at the self) would lead to good result and later in the day emotional releases that feel just like walking into a cold shower.
I have a few personal experiences where I felt trapped and ended up nearly passing out due to how I looked at it. I think either through depletion or genetics I am able to effectively restrict my own blood supply, and this is triggered by internal state (attitude/emotional processing) and external shocks (food, environment, temperature etc). The external triggers may also be subconsciously reliving past trauma.
Gluten causes reperfusion injury/vascular constriction (leading to leaky gut), and I've yet to find data to back it up but opioids appear to do the same. These states lead to disassociation also, so pavlovian theory suggests that disassociation may also trigger blood flow restriction by association.

Gertrudes said:
Since I began to untangle unresolved issues, and particularly since 2010 when I finally began to speak about them, it was as if suddenly my chest was unlocked and all negative feelings and sensations moved down into my abdomen.
Reperfusion injury appears to be what kills people when they go into shock after severe accidents, it also appears to be related to cardiovascular disease, and can all be triggered (heart disease etc) by reperfusion injury to the intestines. Gluten and trauma will cause damage to the guts.
I too use to get the same sensations you describe (the one in my guts is slowly going), so considering all the above I believe it is both physical and emotional. It is that system remaining stuck in fight/flight/freeze (specifically freeze/inaction/hopelessness), and it needs to be supported with the appropriate level of shocks (to reset the system shock response), emotional processing (expressing emotions rather than turning them inwards) and correct supplementation to negate the physical damage (both of reperfusion injury and secondary inflammation). Inflammation can also trigger all of the same by restricting the blood flow (I find that if I eat the wrong thing I get emotional and end up disassociating and having negative though loops).

Well, that's the whole process in a nut shell. Putting the data together is turning out to be a mammoth task as it is tied to so many systems! It may well turn into a book.

Getrudes said:
I've read the article of the first excerpt you posted on athletic amenorrhea and endothelial dysfunction It is also mentioned there how some athletes regained their menses by increasing caloric consumption and decreasing their training. Given that my work is exercise and that I have very little body fat, I have always suspected of a propensity to athletic amenorrhea, which in this case may have simply been triggered by other factors

fwiw my fat tolerance protocol consists of slippery elm [protects the gut from 'shock'], carnitine [needed in the absorption of fat by the intestines] and magnesium glycine/lycine (or just glycine - both aid in absorption of fat, and glycine protects from reperfusion) shortly before food. Followed by lechathin (sunflower - aids in fat absorption) and digestive aids (specifically lipase - very important for fat absorption as well as being needed throughout the body) with the food, and ALA and milk thistle after food (oxidization protection and liver support). The falling asleep after eating a lot is related to reperfusion, so fatigue or sleepiness (or even the desire to disassociate) afterwards should be monitored. It can be to do with not digesting fat properly (leading to shock when the fat hits the large intestines), over oxidization (the body registers this as a shock) and/or emotional issues about food/energy triggering past trauma subconsciously - all these can be exasperated by lack of resources to protect from reperfusion.
The last few days have seen my appetite sky rocket (requiring extra vitamin c to protect from oxidization), which interestingly seems to tie to a greater emotional sensitivity.
Still not fully there, as my ability to DO (channel these things outwards) is still lacking.

*edit to add* lots of tumeric and fresh ground black pepper is also very important to absorption and reperfusion protection

RedFox said:
Yup taking cold showers, and the first thing I noticed was it helped a lot. The second thing I noticed was it made things Much worse. My fat tolerance, digestion and energy levels crashed. Things picked up by going slowly/taking it more easy on how cold the shower was. Then I was hit by an unexpected emotional event (loss of my current job contract), which again caused a relapse (I couldn't tolerate the cold showers at this point again).

The same happened to me. I was doing well with the cold showers when suddenly everything became worse. I started to get dizzy and tired, and similarly to you, backed off and am now progressing much more gradually. I am in no way near to other members' reports about feeling much warmer then before, but I have been wearing less clothing and not feeling cold.

It makes sense that a situation of stress has lowered not only your mental and emotional defenses, but as with everyting being intertwined, also you physical ones, hence your intolerance to cold showers coming back.

RedFox said:
So I've been building a theory on how depletion in the body of key factors, plus our responses to emotional trauma (based on previous trauma) and emotional conditions set the state of our bodies blood flow, which then either allow things to heal or not (the physical and emotional elements are entwined here).

You are reminding me of the book Biogenealogy Sourcebook: Healing the Body by Resolving Traumas of the Past by Christian Fleche. It is an interesting book mapping and giving examples of how non resolved trauma manifests in our bodies. I tend to prefer it to Louise Hay's books, because while she gives possible reasons for the ailments without any explanation as to how she has reached her conclusions, Fleche bridges that gap. You can agree or disagree with him, but you can do so because you are given the "how this causes that".

RedFox said:
Having noticed that cold showers with the right attitude (not 'I must' or through some sort of self punishment - which made the symptoms worse, but instead gentle acceptance and righteous anger - anger directed out rather than at the self) would lead to good result and later in the day emotional releases that feel just like walking into a cold shower.
I've been finding how to direct anger, or any other feelings resulting from shock, to be precisely one of the main keys in preventing and healing physical trauma. It's Levine's approach, in the end.
If physical trauma is already in place, healing involves learning how to reset the whole system again, as you mentioned here:

RedFox said:
I too use to get the same sensations you describe (the one in my guts is slowly going), so considering all the above I believe it is both physical and emotional. It is that system remaining stuck in fight/flight/freeze (specifically freeze/inaction/hopelessness), and it needs to be supported with the appropriate level of shocks (to reset the system shock response), emotional processing (expressing emotions rather than turning them inwards) and correct supplementation to negate the physical damage (both of reperfusion injury and secondary inflammation).

I think that my amenorrhea is one of such cases of resetting being needed, the kynesiologist I saw was of the same opinion. Resetting can probably be addressed by the body, mind, or both. Often addressing one can less directly, but inevitably, affect the other and result in that reset.

RedFox said:
Gluten causes reperfusion injury/vascular constriction (leading to leaky gut), and I've yet to find data to back it up but opioids appear to do the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would. By the way they work, the "highs" they create resulting in inevitable "lows", the blood flow has to be somehow compromised, osit.

RedFox said:
It may well turn into a book.

That, or a sott article, at least before the book :)

Getrudes said:
I will have to read that paper more thoroughly and do further research on the brachial artery, although there seems to be a clear connection to amenorrhea, I am not yet clear as to how exactly one affects the other.

Don't know what I was thinking here, it isn't the brachial artery per se, but how the artery is used as an indicator of endothelium function. The article mentions that folic acid appears to help increase endothelium dilation. Since according to the study endothelium dilation was decreased in amenorrheic runners, it may well be worth a try for me. Endothelium dysfunction was likely a result rather then the cause, but addressing the result can often reset the cause.

Gertrudes said:

You are reminding me of the book Biogenealogy Sourcebook: Healing the Body by Resolving Traumas of the Past by Christian Fleche. It is an interesting book mapping and giving examples of how non resolved trauma manifests in our bodies. I tend to prefer it to Louise Hay's books, because while she gives possible reasons for the ailments without any explanation as to how she has reached her conclusions, Fleche bridges that gap. You can agree or disagree with him, but you can do so because you are given the "how this causes that".

Thank you for that book reference, Gertrudes, I've just started to read it, and immediately found a big clue :rockon: to a problem that has been pressing me big-time for the last six months. It all came to a head after I visited my parents interred ashes at the cemetery yesterday. I now what to work on, thanks. :thup:

Prodigal Son said:
Thank you for that book reference, Gertrudes, I've just started to read it, and immediately found a big clue :rockon: to a problem that has been pressing me big-time for the last six months. It all came to a head after I visited my parents interred ashes at the cemetery yesterday. I now what to work on, thanks. :thup:

It's a neat little book, isn't it? Very glad to hear it's helping Prodigal Son :)

Back
Top Bottom