Antibiotics - to take or not to take

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I would like an advice on taking antibiotic for a lingering and relapsing upper respiratory infection (or so it seems). Two months ago I got sick with a strong cold that transformed itself into bronchitis and digestive problems. After almost two weeks most of the symptoms were gone (including swollen lymph on the neck area) and only persistent wet cough with lot of phlegm and weakness remained (there was never fever, though). Then it returned again when we had a weekend of a particularly stormy and cold weather, and now again after starting to take milk thistle.

Throughout this period I've been taking large douses of vit C (up to 20) and NAC, but it doesn't have much effect, or at least even if the strongest symptoms are eventually gone, the cough and fatigue remain and begin to really wear me out. So I thought about asking the doctor for antibiotics to kill the persistent buggers because it looks like there is something that just refuses to go away. Not sure if there is "less damaging" antibiotic around, but would appreciate to know if there is. I'll continue taking probiotics and milk thistle with it and hopefully it will help with the damage. Nystatin is given with prescription-only here, and only in limited amounts, but I'll ask the doctor anyway to take care of the Canadida overgrowth afterwards. I haven't taken antibiotics in at least past 10 years, so at least there won't be any bacterial resistance. Hopefully no allergy, either.

If you have any other idea how to deal with it differently, will be most happy to hear it! Thanks in advance. :flowers:

Just an update that I went to the doctor and she gave me Cefuroxime 500g to take twice a day (asked about Doxycycline that Laura mentioned in another thread, but she said it is much stronger antibiotic and Cefuroxime targets specifically respiratory problems). Also asked her for Nystatin, and the only one they had was Nystatin ready mix (30ml, while each ml has 100,000 units), the intended use is for oral infections, but after antibiotic treatment I'll swallow it anyway or put it on the skin in case of allergy.

Looks like it is best to take care of the problem, nuke the buggers :evil: and deal with the effects afterwards. :) Should be all ok.

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well for some time now. Please let us know how it goes with the antibiotics. :flowers:

I think that when the body's normal defenses do not do the job, it's time to try an antibiotic. One just has to take care to rebalance the onboard critters afterward. Antibiotics are a great boon to mankind, but people should not be so fast to take them for every little thing. Of course in some cases, taking them fast IS indicated. You have to be knowledgable, consult your doctor, and make an informed decision.

Throughout this period I've been taking large douses of vit C (up to 20) and NAC, but it doesn't have much effect, or at least even if the strongest symptoms are eventually gone, the cough and fatigue remain and begin to really wear me out. So I thought about asking the doctor for antibiotics to kill the persistent buggers because it looks like there is something that just refuses to go away.

Thought I would mention that I had a really horrible cough a couple of years ago and I could find nothing that helped to clear it up.

I tried antibiotics two separate times and that didn`t even touch it.

I tried everything I could think of from herbs to homeopathy, nothing was working.

I had to buy a chest wrap because coughing so hard had pulled muscles in my side and coughing was pure agony. I was coughing so hard I would see flashes of light and was sure I was going to have a brain aneurysm from it!

One day I saw my bottle of Kelp sitting on the shelf and decided to take some since I hadn`t done so in quite some time.

I never expected it to make a difference, and was surprised when I noticed the cough was a little less.
I then took 3 more kelp tablets and was amazed that the cough was really less frequent and much less severe, so I continued taking it and within a few days the cough was nearly gone.
Later I read about iodine on the forum and I had one of those hmm moments, wondering if it was some effect from the iodine in the kelp that had "cured" the cough?

I don`t know that it did, but the timing was amazing if it didn`t!

I started at 225 mcg, and increased to 675mcg 3x a day which seems to have been what finally did the trick.( Norwegian Kelp )

Just though I would mention it in case you want to try that.

Hope you feel better soon, that coughing is really exhausting!

Hi Keit,

Sorry to hear about nasty sickness.

How about making strong ginger tea (from raw ginger) & eating loads of good 'ole garlic. Have you tried that ? Just a suggestion for an alternative.

Take care of self !

chmod u=rwx machine said:
Hi Keit,

Sorry to hear about nasty sickness.

How about making strong ginger tea (from raw ginger) & eating loads of good 'ole garlic. Have you tried that ? Just a suggestion for an alternative.

Take care of self !

That would be my suggestions as well. I have had good results with garlic in the past and ginger is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. Unless you have allergies, it can't hurt and just might work.

chmod u=rwx machine said:

I can also recommend the ginger tea and garlic (1 clove eaten raw). I've knocked out some colds with this and I've had mixed results giving my kids smaller amounts of garlic for persistent coughs. Sometimes it works great, other times not-so-great.

But if that doesn't start to make things better within a couple days, I would probably consult your physician about antibiotics.

Hi Keit,

FWIW, I had upper respiratory infection for quite a while and nothing seem to help till I found this herb called tulsi. I hope you'll be able to find some in a health shop in your area. It worked great for me. The type I used is this one here which in India, would cost you only 75 Rs. (approximately US$ 1.70!) I managed to find some in my area in an Indian grocery store.

Wishing you speedy recovery. :flowers:

Laura said:
I think that when the body's normal defenses do not do the job, it's time to try an antibiotic. One just has to take care to rebalance the onboard critters afterward. Antibiotics are a great boon to mankind, but people should not be so fast to take them for every little thing. Of course in some cases, taking them fast IS indicated. You have to be knowledgable, consult your doctor, and make an informed decision.

I agree. Especially when infection involves the lungs, which seem particularly difficult to clear using natural methods once an infection has gained ground. Plus it becomes much easier for a secondary infection to invade the lungs once compromised, like pneumonia. Just be sure to do a course of probiotics afterward, to re-establish the intestinal flora.

venusian said:
Laura said:

I agree. Especially when infection involves the lungs, which seem particularly difficult to clear using natural methods once an infection has gained ground. Plus it becomes much easier for a secondary infection to invade the lungs once compromised, like pneumonia. Just be sure to do a course of probiotics afterward, to re-establish the intestinal flora.

It might also be very helpful to add a really good silver 'antibiotic' such as from http://www.lifesilver.com/index.htm , as it has been found that including this can make the effect of antibiotic 10 times stronger due to the fact than an antibiotic typically only kills off about 90% of the infection and that the silver can eradicate the rest. It can also be used all just by itself for a wide variety of infection and has been shown to kill just about everything it has ever been tested for at present.

Thank you all for your recommendations! I am going to look for them and try them out. Regarding garlic, I already make sure to eat a lot of it raw, and much more than one clove. Love garlic!

This is just about the most persistent respiratory illness that had to deal with in my adult life. In the past, and when I had bronchitis (something that develops every strong cold), it also took me a while to clear the lungs, up to a month. But there was visible progression, while here there is none. But it's not going to be stronger than me, so what ever takes. :)

Thanks again. :flowers:

I've also recently started to eat raw garlic, not because I'm sick, but as a treatment for candida. I love it, too, although the detox reactions are really strong.

I wish you a speedy recovery, Keit, and take good care of yourself! :flowers:

Kiet, have you tried steam, and or sauna heat therapy to help in the your recovery. It might be an additional benefit to help restore your health. And six olives on the garlic. :clap:

Risks, Cautions, and Contraindications

Please see under individual techniques for warnings and caution for the use and follow them.

Persons with impaired temperature sensation run the risk of scalding or frostbite at temperature extremes.

When a condition is recurrent or persistent, please consult your physician to determine whether a physical therapy of this type is suitable in your case.

If you have diabetes, avoid hot application to the feet or legs. Also avoid full body heating treatments, such as body wraps.
Avoid cold application if you are diagnosed with Raynaud's disease.
Hot immersion baths and long, hot saunas are not recommended for those with diabetes or multiple sclerosis, women who are pregnant or anyone with abnormally high or low blood pressure.
Don't take cold foot baths if you are prone to bladder or rectal irritation. People suffering from sciatica, pelvic inflammation or rheumatism in the toes or ankles should avoid cold foot baths.
Elderly people and young children may be exhausted by too much heat and should avoid long full-body hot treatments such as immersion baths and saunas.
If you are pregnant or have heart disease, consult a doctor before taking a sauna

Sauna and Steam Baths

Saunas and steam baths are similar in effect; the decision to take one rather than the other will be guided by personal preference. In a sauna the heat acts more quickly to eliminate toxins through the skin, though some consider the moist air of a steam bath to have a more satisfying effect on the respiratory system. Saunas are deeply relaxing and are a great way to melt away stress.

A sauna is an eliminative procedure; it stimulates blood flow, increases the heart rate, has an immune-modulating effect, promotes hormone production, encourages mucosal secretions in the respiratory system, opens the airways, reduces resistance to respiration, regulates the vegetative system, relaxes, and can improve mental outlook.

Hi Keit,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling good. Last year, I had a terrible bronchitis, with shortness of breath,I was given
plenty of antibiotics, cortisone , ventolin etc.But nothing seemed to work, at the moment I stopped taking this chemicals
the same condition again. It lasted almost seven months, I only started feeling beter after eliminating gluten and dairys
on my diet.

Nowdays, It could be said I am almost totally recovered. A great deal of patience pays.

I wish you a promt recovery.

Back
Top Bottom