Antibiotics - to take or not to take

I'm pretty sick with what I think is strep throat. I've been thinking about going to the doctor's and getting an antibiotic. But I don't want to kill my gut flora, because I just did an anti-candida diet a few weeks ago and am now between my 2nd and 3rd DMSA cycle. Also it seems the pills usually have something like corn starch in them, but maybe I could ask for different ingredients.

I'd like to just let it be on its own, I have colloidal silver and vitamin C. Ten grams in about 1.5 hours gave me diarrhea. I saw gargling DMSO in another thread, but I always thought it would just carry the bacteria all over the body.

I want to get better soon because I was training someone at work and I'd like to have all of next week. I had a minor scratchy throat Monday, and had to go home early yesterday. I also don't want to be passing this around, so external consideration is coming into play. Any advice is appreciated.

I would not gargle with DMSO, but gargle the colloidal silver before swallowing it - at least three times a day. If the colloidal silver is going to kick it, you should be much improved after 48 hours of using it.

However, if you have a fever & start to become worse, I'd see a doctor. I wouldn't mess around with strep, as it can affect the heart.

Hope you feel better soon, 3D student. :)

Thanks Lilou, I'm actually already feeling a little better. I think I had a fever earlier because I was pretty warm internally, but I seem to have cooled off.

Advice appreciated.

This past Monday ended up seeking medical help because of an infection that develop from a number of days prior. Basically, had a type of crack or athletes sore between the left small toe and it became infected; likely as a result of a hot pool I was told. Anyway, it became very sore and red and the nurse said on the Monday that for sure I would need an IV of antibiotic’s at minimum right away. After waiting the physician finally came in and said it was a type of Staph infection and prescribed a heavy dose of antibiotic pills and cream. I told him I would like to avoid if possible the antibiotics, so he said to use the cream, and take the pills tomorrow (the Tuesday) if infection does not stabilize (think he wanted me to take them regardless) and seek medical treatment re IV.

The next day had to drive for 7 hours and could not keep my foot elevated. It was still sore but seemed to be no worse. Used cream, dosed on Boswellia, C’s, Spirulina which is all that I had with me. By Tuesday night became concerned and decided to take the Antibiotics, which upset things and then decided to discontinue, which might be a mistake but was worried about it killing gut bacteria. Anyway, the infection and swelling has gone down and it is somewhat stabilized but not healed completely. Was thinking about using DMSO cream but hesitated until some feedback could be requested, for this or other remedies? The rapidness of this type of infection really took me off guard with the implications.

Thanks in advance for your considerations. :)

Two or three weeks ago two of my lower front teeth broke off. Since I experienced no pain
I just forgot about it until my next dentist appointment.
At the beginning of last week I felt some pain and I started using one teespoon of the extra
strong silver solution from lifesilver. Friday night I woke up in the middle of the night with
major pain and swelling of lower face. Of course trying to find any dentist on a saturday
is impossible. They have a voluntary emergency service but the available dentist was in another
town ca. 100km away! I went to the hospital emergency ward and asked and received
antibiotics.
My question is: Is silver effective for tooth abscess? Did I not take enough?
Answers are appreciated.

3D Student said:
I'm pretty sick with what I think is strep throat. I've been thinking about going to the doctor's and getting an antibiotic. But I don't want to kill my gut flora, because I just did an anti-candida diet a few weeks ago and am now between my 2nd and 3rd DMSA cycle. Also it seems the pills usually have something like corn starch in them, but maybe I could ask for different ingredients.

I'd like to just let it be on its own, I have colloidal silver and vitamin C. Ten grams in about 1.5 hours gave me diarrhea. I saw gargling DMSO in another thread, but I always thought it would just carry the bacteria all over the body.

I want to get better soon because I was training someone at work and I'd like to have all of next week. I had a minor scratchy throat Monday, and had to go home early yesterday. I also don't want to be passing this around, so external consideration is coming into play. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi 3D Stdnet, thought it would be beneficial to show what strep throat is, what are the causes, and how its passed.

Strep Throat
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/strep_throat/article_em.htm

Strep Throat Overview

Strep throat is a contagious disease caused by infection with streptococcal bacteria. Strep throat symptoms generally include fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes in the neck and redness and swelling of the throat and tonsils. White or yellow patches on the tonsils (signifying pus) are also often present. Strep throat may produce mild or severe symptoms.

Strep Throat Causes
Strep throat is caused by infection with Group A Streptococcus (GAS) bacteria, specifically Streptococcus pyogenes. The streptococcal infection invades the pharyngeal tissue and causes a localized inflammatory reaction. These bacterial organisms are often found in the throat or on the skin, and are responsible for other illnesses as well, such as impetigo (a skin infection). Some individuals may carry Group A Streptococcus in the throat or on the skin and not exhibit any signs or symptoms of disease (asymptomatic).

Strep throat is most common in school-aged children and teens, with a peak incidence between 5 to 15 years of age. It is estimated that approximately 15% to 40% of cases of sore throat in this age group are caused by Streptococcus spp bacteria. Adults may also develop strep throat, though less commonly (accounts for approximately 5% to 10% of cases of sore throat). Strep throat most commonly occurs between late fall and early spring. It is more widespread during the school year when groups of students are present within an enclosed space.

Though strep throat is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat, it is important to note that most cases of sore throat are in fact due to a viral infection (caused by a virus). A viral sore throat typically improves on its own and does not require treatment with antibiotics. However, the identification of strep throat is important to prevent the possible complications associated with this illness

Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is a contagious illness that is spread from person-to-person. It is usually transmitted by close contact with the saliva or nasal secretions from an infected individual, typically in the form of airborne respiratory droplets. For this reason, it is frequently seen in situations where individuals are in close proximity to each other, as in schools, college campuses, military barracks, day care centers, and family households. Food-borne outbreaks leading to strep throat are an uncommon modes of transmission.

When i have had a sore throat, staff or strep, in the past i would gargle (do not swallow) with a mix of warm water, and hydrogen peroxide. The type that is available at the supper market, is typical 3% peroxide to water ( www.drink2o2.com ). You'll notice that the solution will cause a foaming effect, which will be the bacterial infection being destroyed. You see some temporary relief of the soreness. I would do this 3 times a day. I also will kick up the garlic intake, eating a clove raw as well as the vitamin C & D.

Chris Gupta Share the Wealth: http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/index.htm

Hydrogen Peroxide: http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2003/11/20/cold_remedies_that_really_work_update.htm

"Curing the common cold and flu. - This works 80% of the time

In 1928 Richard Simmons, M.D. hypothisized that colds and flu virus enter through the ear canal. His findings were dismissed by the medical community. According to Dr. Simmons, contrary to what you may think or have been taught about how you catch the flu or the cold there is only one way that you can catch the two, and that's via the ear canal not through the eyes or nose or mouth as most have believed. Keeping your fingers out of your ears will greatly reduce your chances of catching them, but then again these two are microscopic and can be air-born and may land on or even in your ear. Once they have entered the inner-ear (middle-ear) there they begin their breeding process, and from there they have access to every avenue throughout our body to travel to and to infect and make us sick.

In 1938 German researchers had great success using hydrogen peroxide in dealing with colds and the flu. Their data has been ignored (maybe surppressed) for over 60 years.

For many years people, in the know, have been attacking the Influenza(s) Virus & Common Cold where they begin their breeding process and not where they have already have spread to and that's the inner-ear (middle). It IS important to begin treatment as soon as symptoms appear.

We have found remarkable results in curing the flu & cold within 12 to 14 hours when administering a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (h2o2) into each infected ear, (sometimes only one ear is infected) The h2o2 starts working within 2 to 3 minutes in killing the flu or cold; there will be some bubbling and in some cases mild stinging occurs. Wait until the bubbling & stinging subside (usually 5 to 10 min) then drain onto tissue and repeat other ear. A bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in 3% solution is available at any drug store for a couple of dollars.

To cure the flu you'll need to repeat this process two or more times at one or two hours intervals until there is no more bubbling when putting hp in ear(s)

Educate-Yourself Forbidden cures: _http://educate-yourself.org/fc/#hydrogen

Oxygen Therapies

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)

A bottle of 3½ % Hydrogen Peroxide is available in any pharmacy for under a dollar and can be used daily to keep the mouth and gums germ-free (always use full strength and try to retain in the mouth as long as possible). It should also be conscientiously applied to disinfect any type of oral infection, cut, sore, or wound that one may encounter. For external use, the drug store variety of hydrogen peroxide is OK, but it does have some low levels of contaminants in it. For internal use, it's wiser to use Food-grade hydrogen peroxide. You can make your own 3½ % hydrogen peroxide by diluting 35% food-grade hydrogen peroxide by a ratio of 10:1 with distilled water. However, that should not stop you from using pharmacy-grade hydrogen peroxide externally- if you are in normal health. People trying to recover from serious diseases such as AIDS or cancer need to be more concerned about ingesting contaminants. 35% Food-Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is available at many farm supply outlets and by mail order. Since it's more concentrated, 35% hydrogen peroxide can produce spectacular results when intelligently applied. Hydrogen peroxide can also be applied either internally as injections (directly into a cancerous tumor for example) or intravenously into the blood stream. If properly diluted, hydrogen peroxide can also be ingested.

Hydrogen Peroxide Safety and Storage: http://drinkh2o2.com/#hydrogen-peroxide-safety-storage

Accidents can occur with hydrogen peroxide when directions and safety precautions are not followed.
1. Keep hydrogen peroxide out of the reach of children.
2. Never transfer hydrogen peroxide into unlabeled or improperly labeled containers.
3. If hydrogen peroxide is accidentally spilled on the skin, flush the area immediately with running water.
4. If hydrogen peroxide is accidentally ingested, drink large amounts of water to dilute. Stay upright and contact your doctor. It could be toxic or fatal if swallowed at full strength.
5. In case of concentrated hydrogen peroxide spills, dispose of according to Federal, State and local regulations. Flush the spill area with plenty of water. Do not return the spilled material to the original container. Prevent undiluted hydrogen peroxide from entering into the sewage system. Report spills in compliance with Federal, State or Local regulations. Large quantities, such as drums, should be stored in a cool, dry area. Concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in contact with organic materials may form explosive mixtures (spontaneous combustion).

Small quantities of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide should be stored in the freezer, wrapped in black plastic and labeled: DANGER HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. Thirty-five percent food grade hydrogen peroxide will not freeze unless the temperature is -33° degrees below zero.

*edit by mod* deactivated link

Thank you for the information c.a. We use H202 for disinfecting things, and I've been trying to spray things I come into contact with like the sink. I've just been gargling colloidal silver mostly. My throat will just feel a little tingly in the morning, but I now just have a lot of mucus and a cough that tries to loosen it up.

With something as serious as a staff infection or strep, I think it is important to take the antibiotics. You can fix your gut afterward. Antibiotics do serve a purpose and a person can die from a staff infection or strep if it's out of control.

Parallax said:
Was thinking about using DMSO cream but hesitated until some feedback could be requested, for this or other remedies?

I would stick to one regiman and not keep switching from this to that. And if the doctor thought it serious enough that an IV antibiotic may be warranted, I wouldn't mess around with it too long. Like anart says, you can fix your gut flora later.

So perhaps you should just take the Rx orally, as prescribed, especially if the wound is still hot!!

If the infection has substantially improved, you can dissolve a small amount of the antibiotic powder in 50-75% DMSO (easy enough if in capsule form, if a tablet, just crush it to a fine powder in a mortar). Then apply it topically to the wound with a cotton ball.

Otherwise, take the antibiotic! Hope you recover soon, parallax.

Leo40 said:
My question is: Is silver effective for tooth abscess? Did I not take enough?
Answers are appreciated.

I do not think the colloidal silver will penetrate into an abscess well enough to be effective, Leo40. No matter how much you drink. Good thing you took the antibiotic, you could be in a world of hurt in short order without them. Hope you recover soon!

[quote author=anart]
With something as serious as a staff infection or strep, I think it is important to take the antibiotics. You can fix your gut afterward. Antibiotics do serve a purpose and a person can die from a staff infection or strep if it's out of control.
[/quote]

Ok thanks anart, totally hear you.

[quote author=Lilou ]
[quote author=Parallax]
Was thinking about using DMSO cream but hesitated until some feedback could be requested, for this or other remedies?
[/quote]

I would stick to one regiman and not keep switching from this to that. And if the doctor thought it serious enough that an IV antibiotic may be warranted, I wouldn't mess around with it too long. Like anart says, you can fix your gut flora later.

So perhaps you should just take the Rx orally, as prescribed, especially if the wound is still hot!!

If the infection has substantially improved, you can dissolve a small amount of the antibiotic powder in 50-75% DMSO (easy enough if in capsule form, if a tablet, just crush it to a fine powder in a mortar). Then apply it topically to the wound with a cotton ball.

Otherwise, take the antibiotic! Hope you recover soon, parallax.
[/quote]

Thank you too Lilou. This is appreciated in helping to navigate this issue.

[quote author=c.a. ]

[...]Hydrogen peroxide
4. If hydrogen peroxide is accidentally ingested, drink large amounts of water to dilute. Stay upright and contact your doctor. It could be toxic or fatal if swallowed at full strength. [/quote]

Thanks c.a. for the HP information. As an aside and not related to humans; #4 made me think of one of one of our dogs who ingested wild mushrooms one fall and started reacting rather progressively - foaming at the mouth and being delirious looking. Checking his mouth is when the remnants of mushrooms were noted and so called our veterinarian. What he said surprised me, nevertheless, he said to give him HP diluted in water which he will immediately bring back up with the mushrooms. This is exactly what happened and our dog recovered very quickly afterwords without showing any ill effects and never went near mushrooms again. At the time it felt wrong but the results were undeniable.

Thank you, Lilou for your response and your concern.
We all learn from experience. After taking the penicillin
by Sunday I was able to eat again.

anart said:

I agree. After the antibiotics kill off all the bacteria (good and bad) you start a regiment of probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in your gut.

I would like an advice regarding a lingering disease. Since 16th of September, I've not been feeling my best. First couple of days I spent in bed with a fever, and then developed a moist cough, and something that looks like bronchitis. So far, there was nothing unusual, because I do get something like this during cold times, and especially in a moist climate. And also, we had an infuse of fresh first year students, and it usually leads for the academy to have a whole range of respiratory infections. During those times, lecture hall sounds like a Concerto #6 in E minor for pharynx and sinuses. ;D

Then, I felt better, even if the cough remained, but I thought that this would take time to pass, again, as usual. But then, on Saturday (22th), I've got fever again, and a particularly nasty cough (that alternates between dry and moist) that is constant and leaves me completely exhausted. Luckily, I don't have to go studies, because our course was sent to the agricultural works, to help farmers to collect potatoes, beats and carrots (it's a long tradition, since Soviet union, to use students as work force. But they do get paid, even if a small amount, even if many of them try to avoid it as much as possible.) And I, as a foreign student, am relieved from this duty. So it's good that this bug got me during this off time.

What is also interesting, that one of my friends probably got the same bug, because we had the same early symptoms (fever, cough, and pain in kidneys), but she got out of it pretty quickly. So that was a sort of practical demonstration, how each of us has a different level of immunity against a particular bug.

In any case, since then, my fever isn't going down, only for a small period of time, and also because I had no choice, but to take ibuprofen to reduce the fever that reached 39 (had to stop, because it seems that my liver is acting out). It usually stays between 38 and 39. And the cough doesn't get better, even if I take bronchial herbs and large amounts of vitamin C. They also have NAC, but it contains sugar. And I admit that I did take several of them, thinking that will reverse to the keto-diet later, but it didn't help much anyway, including some forest honey.

The problem is, that by now, I probably should have started taking antibiotics, especially since I do feel like I breath with only one lung, and as a result completely out of energy, but all the probiotics they have here are grown in lactose cultures. But I also don't see a way out of it, because I never had anything like this, that fever will stay stable for so long. Also, I am pretty tired of lying down and being a disturbance of peace. :)

I thought that maybe I can ask my mother to send me from Israel probiotics without lactose (they do have those) and take antibiotics. But don't know which ones will be most effective, and doctors here, it's like lottery, you can't be sure if you will get a really competent person. So I thought about asking, if you know about good and effective antibiotics, that will do the job in minimal time, and hopefully without too much damage. And maybe you have another advice. Thanks a lot.

voyageur said:
By Tuesday night became concerned and decided to take the Antibiotics, which upset things and then decided to discontinue, which might be a mistake but was worried about it killing gut bacteria.

I think I would be less worried about killing my gut bacteria - which can be replaced more or less - than enabling an antibiotic resistant strain of a pathogen to develop in my body because I didn't take ENOUGH antibiotics. Geeze, that's like wounding an intruder only slightly and then turning your back on them. Not only are they trying to steal your stuff, now you've made them mad...

Back
Top Bottom