Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

Mrs. Peel said:
Two nights ago I got a stool and sat outside in my bare feet on a patch of grass for about a half hour or more, at dusk. While I still woke up multiple times during the night, I was able to go back to sleep. Not sure if it was a coincidence of not. I'm going to try doing it more.

I have no idea if it will work or not - but you could try lying down - over a thin sheet if the ground is yucky.

Hi Polonel. I'm just catching up with this thread now.

Often, waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep is a symptom of having blood sugar issues. Your body goes through all the food stores it has and the blood sugar drops. This signals the adrenal glands to release cortisol in order to bring those blood sugar levels back up. This is what wakes you up and makes it so you can't get back to sleep - high cortisol, which is the waking/stress/action hormone.

Megan mentioned earlier in the thread that constant brain chatter you're reporting sounds like adrenal issues, and she's right. That excited mind, constantly jumping around thinking about nothing in particular is the cortisol/adrenal picture. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's related to stress. Your body releases cortisol for many reasons, one of which is as an emergency measure to bring crashing blood sugar levels back up. People who are heavy sugar burners often end up with adrenal fatigue because they come to rely on their adrenals to constantly bring their blood sugar back up after a meal!

If this is what's going on, it may be that you haven't made the transition to ketosis yet, and your body is still in sugar burning mode. Because you're eating low carb, your body doesn't have enough fuel to make it through the night and it hasn't made the transition to burning your own fat stores to keep those blood sugar levels where they need to be.

This happened to me a few months ago and I figured out that I was eating too much protein, likely knocking myself out of ketosis and was having blood sugar issues as a result (I had other symptoms too, like ravenous hunger when I missed a meal and getting grouchy or on-edge when I was hungry).

I solved the problem by dropping the amount of protein I was eating. I was scared to do this at first because I thought I wouldn't have enough food (major food issues here), but experiments with less protein, more fat, proved this wasn't the case. My breakfast now consists of only 6 strips of bacon, extra fat, whereas I used to eat over 300g.

Before resorting to this, though, I tested to see if blood sugar crashing was actually the problem by eating soon before bed. I know this is considered a no-no, but I decided to try it as a bit of detective work. Eating an hour or so before bed solved the waking in the night problem. This proved to me that I was having blood sugar control problems and that I needed to drop my protein consumption. Now, after adjusting my protein levels, I no longer need to eat close to bed and don't wake up until the sun comes up.

Maybe you could try having a snack close to bed time to see if it solves the waking problem? If it does, you're likely looking at a blood sugar control problem. As I said, it may just be that you haven't made the transition to ketosis fully at this point and may need to help it along by cranking up coconut oil consumption (granted it's tolerated) and maybe dropping carb and protein levels.

Hope this helps :)

dugdeep said:

Thanks for the above dugdeep, that was very helpful for me as well.
A few years ago I went through what Polonel described. A very stressful period was what triggered the insomnia at that time, where I would wake up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep and having racing thoughts. When my emotional situation normalized the sleep problems didn't go away, and I spent around 2 years sleeping so poorly that my body would go through these strange shacking episodes throughout the day. Looking back, these sleep patterns had been a constant in my life since being a child. I think that anxiety and stress triggered them, but the vulnerability was already created due to what you have just described.

Gertrudes said:
dugdeep said:

Thanks for the above dugdeep, that was very helpful for me as well.
A few years ago I went through what Polonel described. A very stressful period was what triggered the insomnia at that time, where I would wake up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep and having racing thoughts. When my emotional situation normalized the sleep problems didn't go away, and I spent around 2 years sleeping so poorly that my body would go through these strange shacking episodes throughout the day. Looking back, these sleep patterns had been a constant in my life since being a child. I think that anxiety and stress triggered them, but the vulnerability was already created due to what you have just described.

this is what I was going through for more than a year, though pushing my self to stay in dark. anxiety, stress, sleep issues , waking up from repeated prenatal trauma from the body ( needs hand massaging , breathing etc) that comes up after 4 hrs of dead unconscious sleep. I was thinking of possibility of going back to rolfing again( not a pleasant thought though ). Yesterday I indulged in 12g of cane sugar chocolate with nut traces, heck I woke up with BIG trauma episodes after 3 hrs and struggled to sleep later.

dugdeep said:
It does, thanks a lot. I'll reduce the eggs for breakfast and I'll think about something concerning the dinner : a little less of everything, with more fat. Adrenal fatigue seems to be somewhat hard to cure for some people, I hope I'll get better soon. This situation is killing me.

Edit : by the way, I'm reading a lot of things about digestive enzymes and how they can help to solve cases like mine. Unfortunately I can't find infos or examples of recommanded digestive enzymes.

Polonel said:
Edit : by the way, I'm reading a lot of things about digestive enzymes and how they can help to solve cases like mine. Unfortunately I can't find infos or examples of recommended digestive enzymes.
A lot of people on the Forum take - 'Now' 'Super Enzymes' - one tablet per meal - breaks down fat, carbs and protein, optimizes nutrient uptake. It contains everything that you may like to consider for digestive enzymes.

Polonel said:
...by the way, I'm reading a lot of things about digestive enzymes and how they can help to solve cases like mine. Unfortunately I can't find infos or examples of recommanded digestive enzymes.

It varies. Some people see an improvement taking them; some don't. I am one of those that doesn't.

Megan said:
Polonel said:
...by the way, I'm reading a lot of things about digestive enzymes and how they can help to solve cases like mine. Unfortunately I can't find infos or examples of recommanded digestive enzymes.

It varies. Some people see an improvement taking them; some don't. I am one of those that doesn't.

Me too. I took them (along with ox bile and HCL) with meals. I haven't taken any in a couple months now, and notice no difference than when I did.

Hi Polonel,

Cutting back on eggs may help your sleep problems, In 'Protein Power' (Eades') the following is mentioned:
The Microhormone Messengers: Meet the Eicosanoids. These are the biological glue that holds together the human body. There are two families of these, one good, and the other bad for your health. Which one depends on your diet, excess insulin from a high-carbohydrate diet leads to ‘bad’ eicosanoids, as does arachidonic acid, which is found in red, and organ, meat and egg yolks. However you may eat these (using tricks) unless you are especially sensitive to arachidonic acid. Fish oil offsets the detrimental effects of arachidonic acid.

The main symptoms associated with arachidonic acid are:
Chronic fatigue
Poor or restless sleep
Difficulty awakening or grogginess on waking
Brittle hair
Thin, brittle nails
Constipation
Dry, flaking skin, minor rashes.

There is conflicting information about arachidonic acid (AA). I noticed when I Googled for AA and insomnia that most of the top hits were in reference to AA as a supplement. There can be problems when you isolate a nutrient and take it as a supplement, and serious misunderstanding when it is isolated and studied outside of its natural context.

Primal Body said:
Worthy of comment here is the widespread controversy and vilification of arachidonic acid (AA), an important form of omega-6 fatty acids, by the popular writer Barry Sears, author of The Zone Diet, who insists that this omega-6 fatty acid is to be avoided at all costs due to its proinflammatory properties.

Commonly found in liver, butter, and eggs, AA comprises 11 percent of the fatty acids found in the brain, and it is absolutely required for healthy cognitive functioning as well as being necessary for healthy inflammatory response following injury. There is also more recent evidence that the interaction of AA with vitamins A and D is absolutely essential for healthy neurotransmitter functioning. It is additionally the precursor to what are known as series-2 prostaglandins, some of which are inflammatory and some of which are anti-inflammatory.

There are no bad prostaglandins, only imbalances...

Gedgaudas, Nora T. (2011-06-22). Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life (p. 106). Healing Arts Press. Kindle Edition.

The above passage continues on, but the real issue with AA may be Ω-6/3 imbalance. People often have too many Ω-6's and too few animal-source Ω-3's in their diet. You can supplement the latter, but my sense as I continue to explore this topic is that it is much better to get them from what you eat (especially fat from pastured meat & wild-caught fish). We have been conditioned to worry about mercury in fish, but there is evidence that healthy fish also supply selenium that binds mercury. There seems to be no end to this puzzle.

Megan said:
There is conflicting information about arachidonic acid (AA). ... the real issue with AA may be Ω-6/3 imbalance. People often have too many Ω-6's and too few animal-source Ω-3's in their diet. You can supplement the latter, but my sense as I continue to explore this topic is that it is much better to get them from what you eat (especially fat from pastured meat & wild-caught fish). We have been conditioned to worry about mercury in fish, but there is evidence that healthy fish also supply selenium that binds mercury. There seems to be no end to this puzzle.
Whilst I agree with what you have written Megan, my experience is that when I've reduced to number of eggs that I eat in a week (down to two - mainly in 'home-brewed' mayonnaise), my sleep problems receded. I get as much Omega 3 as I can from natural sources, and also supplement, to ensure that the Omega 6/3 imbalance is swung in the right direction.

As you say, 'there seems to be no end to this puzzle'. :)

FWIW, I've experimented with eating fewer eggs lately. I cut them out altogether for a few weeks and then tried reintroducing just the yolks after reading that most people are allergic to proteins in the egg whites. I've tried separating the yolk from the white before cooking them, but its tricky to get the yolk out without breaking it, so the last couple of times I fried the egg whole and cut the yolk out of the white afterwards. Besides the fact the the egg white is more likely to cause an allergic reaction, they also contains most of the protein in the egg, while most of the fat and vitamins are in the yolk:

Livestrong.com said:
Egg Yolks

The yellow yolks of eggs are the real powerhouse of nutrition. The yolk contains all of the nutrients listed by the American Egg Board using the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference and by the Egg Nutrition Center. Those nutrients range from vitamins A, D, E, several B vitamins and choline to minerals such as calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc and selenium. Additionally, egg yolks are high in protein and carbohydrates, making them an ideal food for energy needs. Carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which help maintain eye health, are found only in the egg yolk.

Yolk Disadvantages

The yolk of an egg contains more than half of the entire egg's calories and all of the fats, including the beneficial -- monounsaturated and polyunsaturated -- and harmful types -- saturated and trans fats, according to the Mayo Clinic. Also, all of the cholesterol in an egg is in the yolk.

Egg Whites

When word spread about cholesterol in egg yolks, a flurry of recipes using only egg whites were promoted, in addition to egg-substitute products. Egg whites do contain most of an egg's protein, as well as fewer calories and none of the fat of egg yolk. Whites are also higher in potassium and magnesium than yolks.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/273210-nutritional-value-egg-yolk-white/#ixzz1yAcMZwT0

So if you really like eggs you could try cutting them out of your diet for a few weeks (eat extra bacon for breakfast) and then try reintroducing just the yolks. Eggs can be a great natural source of omega 3 fatty acids if you can find a local farmer who raises hens on pasture. A more "wild" diet greatly improves the omega3/6 fat ratio of the egg yolks (different websites claim anywhere from 2 to 20 times more omega 3 fats, but I haven't found any reliable scientific studies). If thats not an option, sometimes they have "omega 3" eggs in the grocery store that are supposed to have better fat ratios too because they feed the hens more flax and other seeds instead of corn. (egg buying guide: _http://www.marksdailyapple.com/egg-purchasing-guide/#axzz1yAeqQnTo)

I hope that's helpful.

Mrs. Peel said:
Seamas said:
A friend sent me a link to a very interesting paper. It is 18 pages so I'll just post the abstract and the link:

[...]

The entire paper is at: _http://humanscience.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/efx_science_physiology.pdf

I haven't had time to read the whole thing, but it looks pretty good.

How interesting! I've been on some long camping trips and a few meditation retreats where I slept on the hard ground for 10 days or 2 weeks at a time.

Two nights ago I got a stool and sat outside in my bare feet on a patch of grass for about a half hour or more, at dusk. While I still woke up multiple times during the night, I was able to go back to sleep. Not sure if it was a coincidence of not. I'm going to try doing it more.

Okay, back on topic :) . I've been trying to spend time outside, barefoot, every day. At least for a few minutes. Subjectively I noticed that this is helpful when I'm suffering from "racing mind". It seems to help slow my thoughts and shift my perspective from introspection towards curiosity about the environment around me. Perhaps this shift in attention is due to a change in cortisol levels, as observed in the referenced paper? I was thinking that its interesting that we use the term "grounded" to refer to someone who is calm and centered. It seems there may be a literal aspect to this idea.

LQB said:
Seamas said:
[quote author=LQB]
It would be nice to figure out an easy way to do this like connecting receptacle ground to a thin conducting mattress pad. This may also have application to our research into leptin reset/CT/ketosis.

A quick search for "earthing mattress pad" turned up a bunch of products ranging from ~$120 to ~$270. I also found a website that sells conductive fabrics: _http://lessemf.com/fabric.html.

What about using a grounded piece of fine copper screen or mesh under the mattress pad?

Yes, you beat me to the next step :lol: lessemf has several conducting fabrics that might do the job. You would want something that can be pulled tight under the bedsheet, put an alligator clip on it, and run the wire to receptacle ground. The only concern I have with that is that you make sure your wiring is up to code, and that there are no neutral paths to ground (can be tested with a gauss meter). Also, in case of an electrical storm, you would want to unclip the connection - just to be safe. You could also just run a separate wire from a new ground rod outside - eliminating any worry about the house wiring.

Doing it this way should be essentially the same as sleeping directly on the ground.
[/quote]

I can't help but doubt the effectiveness of those fabrics to provide a solid ground. I don't know much about electricity outside of electric farm fencing applications, but having a really good ground is a really important part of setting up a "hot" fence. I think I'm going to try a piece of aluminum insect screen cut to fit my mattress and set under my mattress pad. Aluminum is less conductive than copper but much cheaper and probably more conductive than one of those fabrics, osit.

Seamas said:
I can't help but doubt the effectiveness of those fabrics to provide a solid ground. I don't know much about electricity outside of electric farm fencing applications, but having a really good ground is a really important part of setting up a "hot" fence. I think I'm going to try a piece of aluminum insect screen cut to fit my mattress and set under my mattress pad. Aluminum is less conductive than copper but much cheaper and probably more conductive than one of those fabrics, osit.

I don't think putting it under your mattress pad is going to do anything. It has to be in contact with your skin or else the grounding does nothing. Think about the fact that wearing shoes, even though you're in close proximity to the ground, keeps you from being grounded when walking on the earth. The aluminum would also need to be connected to a ground source. Those grounding sheets, at least the ones I've looked into, are good because they plug into the ground of an electrical outlet (although you should always test the ground connection first to make sure it is actually grounded. Sometimes older buildings don't have the ground outlet actually grounded).

Back
Top Bottom