Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

dugdeep said:
Seamas said:
I can't help but doubt the effectiveness of those fabrics to provide a solid ground. I don't know much about electricity outside of electric farm fencing applications, but having a really good ground is a really important part of setting up a "hot" fence. I think I'm going to try a piece of aluminum insect screen cut to fit my mattress and set under my mattress pad. Aluminum is less conductive than copper but much cheaper and probably more conductive than one of those fabrics, osit.

I don't think putting it under your mattress pad is going to do anything. It has to be in contact with your skin or else the grounding does nothing. Think about the fact that wearing shoes, even though you're in close proximity to the ground, keeps you from being grounded when walking on the earth. The aluminum would also need to be connected to a ground source. Those grounding sheets, at least the ones I've looked into, are good because they plug into the ground of an electrical outlet (although you should always test the ground connection first to make sure it is actually grounded. Sometimes older buildings don't have the ground outlet actually grounded).

I guess I didn't specify that I intend to ground the aluminum screen with an alligator clip attached to a grounded outlet or to a wire running to a copper ground outside.

Are you sure the metal has to be in contact with skin? The test subjects in the paper had grounded electrodes attached to their feet and it seems obvious that this would create a "better" ground, but I guess I don't think cotton bedding is a great electrical insulator. If I touch an electric fence while I'm wearing shoes I get a shock, which indicates that the electricity is grounding through the soles of the shoes. I've hit the fence a few times barefoot in wet grass and its a whole lot worse, so maybe its the same concept.

I think I'm going to try to get a ground or earth tester from an electrician to empirically test this assertion. I'll set up the aluminum mesh and test it with direct contact, through just the sheets and through the sheets and the mattress pad. I don't think I'll have time to set it up for at least a few weeks, but I'll report back after I do.

Seamas said:
dugdeep said:
Seamas said:
I can't help but doubt the effectiveness of those fabrics to provide a solid ground. I don't know much about electricity outside of electric farm fencing applications, but having a really good ground is a really important part of setting up a "hot" fence. I think I'm going to try a piece of aluminum insect screen cut to fit my mattress and set under my mattress pad. Aluminum is less conductive than copper but much cheaper and probably more conductive than one of those fabrics, osit.

I don't think putting it under your mattress pad is going to do anything. It has to be in contact with your skin or else the grounding does nothing. Think about the fact that wearing shoes, even though you're in close proximity to the ground, keeps you from being grounded when walking on the earth. The aluminum would also need to be connected to a ground source. Those grounding sheets, at least the ones I've looked into, are good because they plug into the ground of an electrical outlet (although you should always test the ground connection first to make sure it is actually grounded. Sometimes older buildings don't have the ground outlet actually grounded).

I guess I didn't specify that I intend to ground the aluminum screen with an alligator clip attached to a grounded outlet or to a wire running to a copper ground outside.

Are you sure the metal has to be in contact with skin? The test subjects in the paper had grounded electrodes attached to their feet and it seems obvious that this would create a "better" ground, but I guess I don't think cotton bedding is a great electrical insulator. If I touch an electric fence while I'm wearing shoes I get a shock, which indicates that the electricity is grounding through the soles of the shoes. I've hit the fence a few times barefoot in wet grass and its a whole lot worse, so maybe its the same concept.

I think I'm going to try to get a ground or earth tester from an electrician to empirically test this assertion. I'll set up the aluminum mesh and test it with direct contact, through just the sheets and through the sheets and the mattress pad. I don't think I'll have time to set it up for at least a few weeks, but I'll report back after I do.

Those fabrics like you see at lessemf.com are very conductive (like aluminum foil). If they are truly grounded, then they should work to deliver a source of electrons to satisfy a potential voltage difference, if it exists, between the body and ground. It should work through a thin sheet during sleep since moisture builds up in the sheet from the body making the electrical path less resistive.

If you are going to use your house ground through a receptacle, you should track your house ground from the panel box to the ground rod outside and take a close look at it for the integrity of the connections. If there is corrosion, you may need to clean the connections for this application. If lightning strikes the house, the ground rod will work fine because the voltage difference is high enough to overcome any resistance due to the corrosion. But for this application, the voltage difference may not be enough to overcome the corrosion resistance and no electrons will be delivered.

Another thing you should check before "hooking up" is that the house circuit you intend to use has been wired properly to code. You can do this by identifying the breaker and replacing it with a GFCI breaker (like used for the bath or kitchen). Then turn on a light in the circuit or plug something into the receptacle. If the GFCI trips, don't use that circuit! [You can also use a gauss meter to identify the bad circuit].

Then there is another thing to consider. Picture your house gone with nothing left but the ground wire throughout. It would be a 3d mish mash of loops and straightline segments roughly outlining your house. External elec and mag fields induce currents in these segments of the ground wire - a condition that you do not want for this experiment. So you could be getting electron flow that less to do with you/ground and more to do with the EM environment. It is also well known that large wire structures can "scoop up" atmospheric ions resulting in another source for current flow.

There are other dangers if your house is not wired strictly to NEC (or other) code.

I have been experimenting with this over the last few days and have gone through what I described above - and I'm scrapping it - not because of any particular results - but because there are just too many variables that are not controllable.

I like the idea of getting access to free ground electrons during sleep, but I think there is a better way to do it. Take a straight shot from your bed to the yard avoiding any other ground rods/transformers or electrical boxes. Drive a new ground rod in and connect a ground wire. Put this wire in metal conduit up to the house and the bedroom or use shielded wire - but make sure to ground the shield (or conduit) to the ground rod as well. Take the straightest course possible with no loops in the wire. Bring that wire into the bedroom and proceed with a ground mat under the sheet or a wrist strap that allows plenty of free movement. This is what I am going to try when I get the time.

Hope the input helps. :)

i've read somewhere that rinsing one's feet with cold water before going to bed can improve the sleep. it indeed seems to help in my case (i usually take a cool shower in the evening anyway). i'm writing about this because the aforementioned spending some time outside barefoot may have worked in similar manner, ie. by cooling the feet.

also, taking 5-HTP disturbs my sleep cycle greatly. even when i take it only in the morning, falling asleep often becomes problematic. in fact i suspect regular 5-HTP intake of being one of the key factors that had triggered insomnia in my case (cured effectively with homeopathy).

lostinself said:
...also, taking 5-HTP disturbs my sleep cycle greatly. even when i take it only in the morning, falling asleep often becomes problematic. in fact i suspect regular 5-HTP intake of being one of the key factors that had triggered insomnia in my case (cured effectively with homeopathy).

Yes, it is important to reach the root cause. The root is often inflammation, but it is never failure to take a particular supplement. A common pattern is gut inflammation causing brain inflammation causing gut inflammation. The root cause often involves what you put in your gut in the first place. Repairing the damage may not be quick or easy.

Megan said:
Yes, it is important to reach the root cause. The root is often inflammation, but it is never failure to take a particular supplement. A common pattern is gut inflammation causing brain inflammation causing gut inflammation. The root cause often involves what you put in your gut in the first place. Repairing the damage may not be quick or easy.

thing is 5-HTP simply keeps me awake longer for 3-4 hours or so. this may be inflammation-related because my diet is still... well, far from optimal. it may also be that i physically need less sleep while taking it.

Well, since diet is the main culprit behind inflammation, I'd reserve other assumptions until well after dietary changes.

Gonzo

Laura said:
[...]
Here are a few ideas to help improve your sleep cycle if required:
• Sun up - get up
• Sun down – sleep. During the winter months dim your lights two hours before bed.
• Avoid bright lights including TV & Computers 30 min's before bedtime
[...]

My addition to Laura's list may sound weird, but I remember a recommendation I found in a book by Yogi Ramacharaka: Washing your feet with cold water before going to bed will help with relaxation.
I don't really know if it is true, since my bad leg circulation makes me live with 'naturally' cold feet, so I avoid making them even cooler. :umm:

Small update : my situation has slightly improved, thank to your advices. Lighter meals, less eggs, omega-3 supplements, digestive enzymes, all these small things helped me to spend better nights. I still wake up around 2-3am, but II find it easier to get back to sleep after going to the bathroom. I still feel tired during the day, but it's a lot more bearable than at the time I first wrote in this thread for this current issue.

Also, I allowed more carbs into my diet these last weeks. I'll gently readapt to paleo diet, one step at a time. Going cold turkey wasn't a good move in my situation.

Thanks a lot :)

Polonel said:
Small update : my situation has slightly improved, thank to your advices. Lighter meals, less eggs, omega-3 supplements, digestive enzymes, all these small things helped me to spend better nights. I still wake up around 2-3am, but II find it easier to get back to sleep after going to the bathroom. I still feel tired during the day, but it's a lot more bearable than at the time I first wrote in this thread for this current issue.

Also, I allowed more carbs into my diet these last weeks. I'll gently readapt to paleo diet, one step at a time. Going cold turkey wasn't a good move in my situation.

Good to hear, Polonel!

I would like to add to this thread to state that I have installed very dark shades on my bedroom window recently and am sleeping soundly because of the darkness. I had put a dark sheet over my bedroom window months ago and noticed a great improvement in the length and quality of my sleep even with fewer melatonin supplements.

Then a couple months ago I took it off to dust and didn't put it back up. I noticed that I had to take more melatonin, but I would still wake up in the early hours of the morning and have difficulties getting back to sleep.

From the first night I put this new shade up I have been sleeping soundly again and need less than half the amount of melatonin too! This is just wonderful! I am so thankful for this thread and wanted to share my success story with you all. :D

Scarlet said:
...I would like to add to this thread to state that I have installed very dark shades on my bedroom window recently and am sleeping soundly because of the darkness. I had put a dark sheet over my bedroom window months ago and noticed a great improvement in the length and quality of my sleep even with fewer melatonin supplements...
my success story with you all. :D

We at last have blackout blinds on order. We were using thermal window covers which dim things down quit a bit, but they are inconvenient to put back at up night and we want light during the summer days. In particular, the stained glass window in the bedroom doesn't look very nice behind a thermal cover. So we ended up not using the covers, but I do sleep better with something over the windows. Hence the blinds. They will be very easy to open and close.

I am also going to have to go around the room and put better covers over the LED lights in things like wall switch dimmers. I thought I had done that, but it seems as though they are getting brighter again. I don't know why.

Thought I would revive this thread in view of this very important information! :

Dark matter DNA active in brain during day — night cycle

_http://www.nih.gov/news/health/sep2012/nichd-21.htm

Long stretches of DNA once considered inert dark matter appear to be uniquely active in a part of the brain known to control the body’s 24-hour cycle, according to researchers at the National Institutes of Health.

Working with material from rat brains, the researchers found some expanses of DNA contained the information that generate biologically active molecules. The levels of these molecules rose and fell, in synchrony with 24-hour cycles of light and darkness. Activity of some of the molecules peaked at night and diminished during the day, while the remainder peaked during the day and diminished during the night.

The material came from the brain structure known as the pineal gland. Located in the center of the human brain, the pineal gland helps regulate the body’s responses to day and night cycles, the researchers explained. In the evenings and at night, the pineal gland increases production of melatonin, a hormone that synchronizes the body’s rhythms with the cycle of light and dark. In many species, the pineal gland also plays a role in seasonally associated behaviors, such as hibernation and mating, as well as in sexual maturation.

The biologically active material arising from the pineal gland DNA is called long noncoding RNA (lncRNA). The lncRNA is distinct from the better-known messenger RNA (mRNA), which serves as a kind of template to translate the information contained in DNA for the manufacturing of proteins. The lncRNAs appear instead to be involved in activating, blocking or altering the activity of genes or influencing the function of the proteins, or acting as scaffolds for the organization of complexes of proteins. The researchers’ use of next-generation sequencing methods detected the lncRNA activity in addition to the mRNA they originally targeted, which helped them in making their discovery.

"These lncRNAs come from areas of the genome that we thought were quiet," said senior author David Klein, Ph.D., head of the Section on Neuroendocrinology at the NIH's Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), in much of the research was conducted. "But current research in the field makes it unequivocally clear that the information-carrying capacity of the genome is a lot greater than we realized previously."

The study was a collaboration between Dr. Klein and NIH colleagues at the NICHD; the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI); the NIH Intramural Sequencing Center, administered by NHGRI and the Center for Information Technology. In addition, researchers from King’s College London; the University of Copenhagen, in Denmark; the Genomatix Software company, in Munich contributed to the study.

Their findings appear online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

To conduct their analysis, the researchers examined RNA from the pineal glands of rats exposed to cycles of 14 hours of light and 10 hours of darkness. The researchers identified 112 lncRNAs with 24 hour cycles. For nearly 60 percent of these lncRNAs, the rats' DNA produced twice as many lncRNA molecules at night as during the day. In addition, nearly 90 percent of the lncRNAs were produced in significantly greater quantities in the pineal gland than in other tissues of the body, most of which did not have detectable levels of these lncRNAs.

The researchers also disrupted the rats' regular day–night light cycle by turning on a light during a typical dark period. Within 30 minutes of the light going on, most of the lncRNAs decreased by half.

The role of the pineal gland lncRNAs is unclear; however, they have circadian patterns of activity. Dr. Klein previously documented hundreds of genes in the pineal gland with consistent day–night cycles of activity.

"The lncRNAs show such strong activity, they obviously have something to tell us about the biology of daily body rhythms," Dr. Klein said. "We are only beginning to understand how the pineal gland helps maintain the body's 24 hour rhythms."

Other than the ketogenic diet and the latest research on "junk" DNA, this seems to be directly related to our recharging of energies from our creative centers during sleep.

Happy sleeping in total darkness :zzz:

So the lncRNA codes for sequences found in introns? That is pretty interesting. Earlier, as I recall, intron sequences were found that influenced mRNA transcription. I would be surprised if lncRNA were only involved in pineal/circadian function.

Psyche said:
Thought I would revive this thread in view of this very important information! :

Dark matter DNA active in brain during day — night cycle

_http://www.nih.gov/news/health/sep2012/nichd-21.htm

The researchers also disrupted the rats' regular day–night light cycle by turning on a light during a typical dark period. Within 30 minutes of the light going on, most of the lncRNAs decreased by half.

The role of the pineal gland lncRNAs is unclear; however, they have circadian patterns of activity. Dr. Klein previously documented hundreds of genes in the pineal gland with consistent day–night cycles of activity.

"The lncRNAs show such strong activity, they obviously have something to tell us about the biology of daily body rhythms," Dr. Klein said. "We are only beginning to understand how the pineal gland helps maintain the body's 24 hour rhythms."

Other than the ketogenic diet and the latest research on "junk" DNA, this seems to be directly related to our recharging of energies from our creative centers during sleep.

Happy sleeping in total darkness :zzz:

And another good reason to make that sleep as free of EMF stressors as possible. There is much research out there that shows EMFs can directly effect the pineal, melatonin production, and circadian rhythms - maybe like turning on that light bulb.

Megan said:
So the lncRNA codes for sequences found in introns? That is pretty interesting. Earlier, as I recall, intron sequences were found that influenced mRNA transcription. I would be surprised if lncRNA were only involved in pineal/circadian function.

Yes, IncRNA are in the introns, in the once thought "junk" DNA.

Polonel said:

Going cold turkey isn't a good idea for most things; it's way too stressful on the system. If you have been following the KD thread, you'll see that there are a number of transition issues that come up as you force your body to change it's fuel system. Keep in mind that you are trying to do this not only against your own lifetime of mtDNA damage/mutations, but also against genetic influences from your parents' diet. It is definitely worth doing, but not easy for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom