Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

Mariama said:
I assume that the lights of cars are also bad and should be blocked out?

According to the book, this would be the goal: blocking out every single light source, even the ones from for example a DVD player.

I'm really tired, because of a lack of proper sleep.

I wake up every night, and I'm having a hard time to fall asleep again : my brain is filled with "static" and "thought loops", and it's almost impossible to stop this before falling asleep again, but from exhaustion. I'm relieved when my alarm clock buzzes.

I've installed blackout curtains in my bedroom (the model name of these curtains, in the shop, is "Cassiopée" !), the bedroom is now almost pitch black. There's no EM devices in it. I dim the lights before bedtime, I installed f.lux on my computer. I also tried some supplements, like 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, GABA, and melatonin. They helped a bit, but I'm very far from a complete night of sleep.

I follow a low carb diet since 6 weeks now, and I have at least one session of pipe breathing and PotS every day, But the lack of sleep seriously damages the efficiency of the later : I almost never fall into a meditative state, instead of that, it's just static, or I fall asleep. I feel very powerless against all these thoughts loops, sounding like a detuned radio, popping in my head constantly and making no sense at all, they just don't want to shut up ! Considering the importance of the PotS, I'm a little bit worried.

Polonel said:

Since when have you been having these sleep problems Polonel? And have you been particularly stressed out or anxious about something lately?

Gertrudes said:
Since when have you been having these sleep problems Polonel? And have you been particularly stressed out or anxious about something lately?
For 3 months. It started during a stressful period, when I was looking for a job. I found one two months ago, and it really is not stressful. Besides that, nope... Everything is sorting out slowly in my personal life, my evil flatmate is finally leaving in a few weeks, this new job is providing a steady source of income, life's sweet. I'm actualy anxious about my sleep problems :zzz:

Gertrudes said:
Polonel said:

That's what I was wondering too, a little more background might help others to add some input. Do you have much anxiety, what sort of thought loops come along, how much physical activity do you get during the day, do you notice any physical tension in the body? That kind of thing.

Alada said:
That's what I was wondering too, a little more background might help others to add some input. Do you have much anxiety, what sort of thought loops come along, how much physical activity do you get during the day, do you notice any physical tension in the body? That kind of thing.
As written above, I'm not anxious, I'm just worried about this issue. Regarding the thought loops, it can be about anything : things I've planned to do, a book I read... But most of the time, it's completely abstract, a white noise, like TV static.

I don't have any physical activity. I'm thinking about some weight lifting after I'm fully keto-adapted. I didn't had any physical tension until yesterday, my neck is a little bit tense on the right side. And the left side of my throat is slightly swollen since a month, secreting mucus, despite my ascorbic acid intakes.

Laura said:
For how long have we been rising with the sun and retiring when it went down?

Thank you for the list of recommendations, Laura. I'm sharing them with friends as soon as I go back to my email account. :thup:

Polonel said:
For 3 months. It started during a stressful period, when I was looking for a job. I found one two months ago, and it really is not stressful. Besides that, nope... Everything is sorting out slowly in my personal life, my evil flatmate is finally leaving in a few weeks, this new job is providing a steady source of income, life's sweet. I'm actualy anxious about my sleep problems :zzz:

Well, looking for a job can surely be enough of a reason to disturb your sleeping patterns, so you may need a longer time to get back to normality. Evil flatmate doesn't help either, often we're not consciously aware of these emotional stressors who keep damaging our health on the background.

Polonel said:
my neck is a little bit tense on the right side. And the left side of my throat is slightly swollen since a month, secreting mucus, despite my ascorbic acid intakes.

Mmmm, have you checked this with a doctor?

Gertrudes said:
Polonel said:
my neck is a little bit tense on the right side. And the left side of my throat is slightly swollen since a month, secreting mucus, despite my ascorbic acid intakes.

Mmmm, have you checked this with a doctor?
Not yet, my health care wasn't up-to-date and I received my papers today, 2 months late. I'll check this week. I had chronic infections for years, but ascorbic acid completely changed the deal. Now it's just this, but it's not healing.

Polonel said:

I wake up every night, and I'm having a hard time to fall asleep again : my brain is filled with "static" and "thought loops", and it's almost impossible to stop this before falling asleep again, but from exhaustion. I'm relieved when my alarm clock buzzes.

Adrenaline can do that. I don't know enough about it at this point to say anything more, though -- still learning.

I've installed blackout curtains in my bedroom (the model name of these curtains, in the shop, is "Cassiopée" !), the bedroom is now almost pitch black. There's no EM devices in it. I dim the lights before bedtime, I installed f.lux on my computer. I also tried some supplements, like 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, GABA, and melatonin. They helped a bit, but I'm very far from a complete night of sleep.

Those supplements will perturb your hormones and neurotransmitters, but not necessarily in a positive way. When in doubt, leave them out. Even when you know for sure what is out of balance, trying to fix it with supplementation is not addressing the root cause and may just add to the problems, especially if continued long-term.

I follow a low carb diet since 6 weeks now, and I have at least one session of pipe breathing and PotS every day, But the lack of sleep seriously damages the efficiency of the later...

Ketogenic diets can interfere with sleep. Since the sleep problems started well before going low carb, though, it's probably not the first place to look. If your carbs are very low and you are restricting protein as well, that could stress you and raise cortisol, and that could add to your sleep problems.

I had similar problems near the end of last year (related to stress and finding a job) - however they where extremely most noticeable when I'd eaten something I shouldn't have/my digestion wasn't working correctly.
So, can I ask what you are eating? When are you eating food? How much food are you eating? Are you taking things to aid digestion? Any digestive discomfort (bloating, fatigue etc)?

*edit*
I just saw this
Polonel said:
I bought 150 grams of toasted almonds three weeks ago at the organic farmer's market. After three days of temperance, I rushed half of the package with some coconut oil :halo:
That wasn't worth the week of constipation...

As it happens, eating a large amount of nuts would cause me to have bloating etc - the other symptoms included negative/chaotic thought loops and insomnia as you describe. I know this for a fact, as having had this happen one night I got up to use the toilet, after suffering diarrhoea the thought loops and insomnia disappeared with the digestive discomfort.
Too many carbs (especially simple carbs, and even xylotol) will also make me melancholic/depressed and usually follow the next morning with leg cramps/muscle fatigue.

Polonel said:
I'm not anxious, I'm just worried about this issue. Regarding the thought loops, it can be about anything : things I've planned to do, a book I read... But most of the time, it's completely abstract, a white noise, like TV static.

Well the trick is to occupy your mind with thoughts that you do want to have, rather than have the machine running the whole time. When you use the Prayer of the Soul at night, try learning the text by heart so that you can rite it to yourself, rather than playing it and having Laura read the prayer to you. The point being that if your reciting the words to yourself, you can't think the other thought loops at the same time.

To add to this you can still measure and observe your breathing, cna better still, if you don't have headphones on or a CD player running you are much better able to listen to the sound of your breathing and concentrate on that too. Before POTS you can do the same for pipe breathing, count the timing of the breaths (6-3-9-3) to yourself, count on your fingers if you have to which I do sometimes, or another way I like to do it is to visualize dots for each part of the count, building up patterns like the dots on face of a dice. That way, if you're visualizing dots (occupying one part of the mind), reciting the prayer (another part of the mind)m listening to the sound of your breathing (another part), paying attention to your body, its level of relaxation, the belly breathing, and so on, there's plenty to keep the mind occupied.

It suggests that in order to fully relax, we have to make a little effort. Practice is key too, if the mind wanders, thoughts come along, you lose count or lose your place in the prayer, it doesn't matter just start again trying to build the level of concentration/attention you give to it. Its a great way to use the time in bed to relax and drop off.

If your lying there worrying about how your not getting to sleep (aside any major influences which would be understandably harder to shake), then perhaps you're missing the opportunity to help yourself and switch your mind over to something more conducive to relaxation?

[quote author=Polonel]
I don't have any physical activity. I'm thinking about some weight lifting after I'm fully keto-adapted. I didn't had any physical tension until yesterday, my neck is a little bit tense on the right side. And the left side of my throat is slightly swollen since a month, secreting mucus, despite my ascorbic acid intakes.
[/quote]

We tend to have more tension in the body than we realize most of the time I think. As well as dimming the lights ready for bed and avoiding turning on any bright lights during that time, maybe give attention to your body and how relaxed or not it is, the speed at which you move, habits of posture that might be on the anxious/tense side. It can be another trick when your trying to get to sleep, to go around the body sensing the state of different parts, different muscles. Sometimes I find that I can be trying to sleep and realize that my shoulders are tense, or the jaw is clenched, that kind of thing. To help it you can tense and relax muscles in sequence throughout the body, starting form your toes and work up from there. Use belly breathing as you go. Its not magic or anything, just sensible little tricks we can use to help ourselves relax and calm the nervous system.

Having a sore throat secreting mucus for a month certainly sounds like it worth getting checked by a medical professional.

Is there any chance you are drinking or eating something with caffeine in it during the afternoon or evening (coffee, tea, chocolate, etc.)? For some people, the effects of caffeine seem to last a long time and they have to avoid consuming even the smallest amounts after 2 PM.

Something I noticed about melatonin is that I often would wake up in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep. I stopped taking it and, for the most part, I'd sleep through the night. I reintroduced it in very small doses, a little earlier in the evening, until I became more accustomed to it.

As was mentioned earlier, we are often surprised by how much some things really stress us out when we think they have little impact. Looking for a job may have created some fear in you that could take a while to dispel. As well, until your roommate actually moves out, there's a chance that past of your mind worries she/he might not leave. Bad roommates can cause incredible amounts of stress, so even though this person is supposed to move out, you are probably still going through stressful interactions and/or having memories of stressful interactions being triggered by their presence. It may take a while after they leave (and don't return) before your mind will let it go.

Are you able to meditate at all? It takes a lot of practice and, for some of us, much more than others, to still the mind. But once we've grown accustomed to it, we can use that skill whenever we need to, like when we're trying to sleep and our mind continues to work.

Speaking of which, our minds will continue to look for opportunities to plan or solve and, if we don't give ourselves enough time to do so, we may find our mind tries to work on issues or plans when we would rather it not. If there's a chance part of your mind does not feel you have given adequate time to a plan or a problem, perhaps you could set aside some time in the evening to go over the very things your mind tosses over when you are trying to sleep. Perhaps this approach would send a signal to the mind to not worry, you are taking care of business.

I know how unsettling this can be. Not being able to sleep can cause so much anxiety that it becomes a thought loop unto itself. I feel for you.

Gonzo

Hi Polonel, this info. is what helped me when i went throught the same problem.

It is a section of an article on Insomnia from the Neuro-vision website. I wont post the link as it is affiliated with a hypnosis product.

1. No one has ever died from or become ill from lack of sleep. The body and mind will get at least the minimum amount of sleep that it needs, no matter what. If you lose some sleep one night, the next night you will get some additional sleep to make up the loss.

2. We all have an internal clock. This internal clock brings about an apex of fatigue in cycles. Although the cycle is different in each individual, it generally runs between four and six hours. In other words, every four to six hours, you will have an apex of fatigue, and this will be when it will be easiest for you to fall asleep. After the apex of fatigue, you will ex­perience a renewed feeling of energy and at this time it will be quite difficult to fall asleep.

3. Although subjects complain of not having slept a wink all night, it has been proven in sleep laboratories that we all sleep during the night. Sometimes the sub­ject feels that he has been lying awake thinking, but actually he has been sleeping lightly -and dreaming.

4. Trying to fall asleep: There is a law of nature call­ed The Law of Reversed Effect. It says that if you try to do something, you will get the opposite. The harder you try, the more you will get the opposite. So, trying to fall asleep will insure that you will remain awake. It would be better for you to try to remain awake!

Are you still taking 5-htp? I took that for a while and it kept me awake at night. You may want to cut it, or any of the other supplements that you're taking, out and see what happens.

Your lack of sleep could also be caused by detoxing from your recent change in diet. Hopefully it will pass but you may want to re-examine what you are eating and see if you can find the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom