Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

I just had a quick google search on detoxification and Vitamin C:
_http://chetday.com/spencedetox.html

Antioxidants
[...]
Vitamin C is water soluble and will be found mainly in our skin (between the cells according to Reams). Vitamin C is also involved with many other important bodily functions, like collagen formation, wound healing, energy production and fighting off colds (viruses).

The function of antioxidants is so important that any deficiency of them will be seen as catastrophic to one's health. When our antioxidants are low, energy is not available and detoxification cannot take place in a normal fashion. Therefore, toxins accumulate or are stored until they can be processed. The liver and many other organs are compromised in their functions when antioxidants are low. Just the lack of energy is enough to cause the body to have compromised or poor health, because it is energy that is required for the removal of toxins and wastes.

Vitamin C should be taken with bioflavinoids to ensure that all the components of the vitamin C complex are taken together, since they work together. Pure ascorbic acid is called vitamin C, but does little by itself. We tend to think that ascorbic acid as vitamin C, but it is only part of the vitamin C complex. Vitamin C is very essential to any detoxification program, because that is what the body uses for energy to process and eliminate these toxic waste Vitamin C can be taken in very high doses until the bowel tolerance level [BTL] is achieved. This BTL is different for different people. Some persons reach tolerance at 4-5 grams (4,000-5,000 mg), while others may not reach tolerance until 10-15 grams (10,000-15,000 mg). Cancer patients notoriously can take 20-30 grams (20,000-30,000 mg) of vitamin C before tolerance is reached ... meaning that they needed more vitamin C than most people.

By taking vitamin C to its tolerance level we find out 1) what our BTL is and 2) how saturated our body is with Vitamin C. Vitamin C was found by Linus Pauling and Ewan Cameron to be very effective in helping many patients to over come that killer disease, called cancer. Perhaps, this was because vitamin C was needed for detoxification of toxins, which "caused" the cancer in the first place. Although Pauling and Cameron were greatly criticized for their work with vitamin C, they were able to help many people overcome cancer and without compromising their health with toxic drugs.

Mr. Premise said:
Well it did feel a lot like what people described from DMSA (I haven't yet felt bad from DMSA) and DMSO (have a bottle haven't tried it yet). And twelve hours after I last took 5g of vitamin C the headache went away. I didn't realize vitamin C did detoxing.

Yes, it does detoxing. And the fact that you got a headache AND were able to take at least 20 grams without the tummy burble suggests that you are pretty toxic and whatever it is your body is holding could come back to haunt you one of these days. Try a slight increase and keep that up for awhile and detox more gently.

Laura said:
Mr. Premise said:
Well it did feel a lot like what people described from DMSA (I haven't yet felt bad from DMSA) and DMSO (have a bottle haven't tried it yet). And twelve hours after I last took 5g of vitamin C the headache went away. I didn't realize vitamin C did detoxing.

Yes, it does detoxing. And the fact that you got a headache AND were able to take at least 20 grams without the tummy burble suggests that you are pretty toxic and whatever it is your body is holding could come back to haunt you one of these days. Try a slight increase and keep that up for awhile and detox more gently.

Sounds like a plan. I'll try 8g a day. And I plan on trying DMSO soon.

The other thing was, too, that I haven't done the sauna blanket during the past week (did it 3 times the week before).

The day before yesterday, my father woke up and couldn't even walk without two people helping, and that took like 15 minutes to get him from one room to another. He was totally out of it all day that day. He wasn't complaining about anything nor giving any straight answers of what he feels.

Finally at around 6 PM, I touched his forehead and he was hot. We measured his temperature and it was 38.6 C. We gave him colloidal silver and I made a shake with frozen raspberries, blueberries, and banana. I put 5 grams of ascorbic acid powder in the shake and he drank it with another 3 grams in capsules. He went to bed and woke up with no fever yesterday -- in the morning it was 36.7, midday 36.6 and before sleeping 36.9.

All throughout yesterday, I gave him this shake 3 more times but increasing the vitamin C dose up to 12 grams and another 10 grams with capsules. He probably caught the same nasty bug I had in the few days before he got sick. So another case of high doses of vitamin C coming to the rescue.

Looking for some information on vitamin C as a chelation agent, I came across this page by Phil Bate. M.D. He says something very interesting about using vit C as a chelator, or any other chelator for that matter, and one's daily supplement schedule. I thought this was worth adding to the data on vit C.

Phil Bate said:
Vitamin C is the simplest and cheapest way to get toxic minerals out of your body. However, it takes much more than the ridiculous RDA of 75 mg per day to do this to any extent! You need a minimum of 1 gram (1000 mg) per 50 pounds per person. I am 200 pounds, so I take 2 grams at breakfast and 2 grams with dinner. At noon, I take all other vitamins and minerals and medications. (This allows the needed minerals to be absorbed into the bloodstream and while not affected by the vitamin C which only lasts about 3-4 hours or less.

There are several modern chelators. The favorite of most MD's that specialize in chelation is EDTA. You sit in a clinic with a needle in your arm for about an hour or so putting this solution into your bloodstream. It mixes (claws onto) with the minerals in the blood stream and makes them water soluble and out the urine pathway.

For severe cases of mineral toxicity, I recommend vitamin C in 12 gram doses or so, split up into 4 doses at 4 hour intervals. (skip the one at noon as above). This has the benefit of not paying "doctor time" and also confers some health extra benefits as well! [ . . . ]

Now, there's just one big problem to using any chelator or vitamin C. It takes every mineral out of the bloodstream in effect (or at least as much as it can "hold"). This means that not only the "bad" mineral(s) that we're trying to get out is affected, but all the "good" (and necessary) minerals as well. So, whenever using any chelator, or using large amounts of vitamin C, be sure to also take mineral supplements separated from taking vitamin C by at least 4 hours before and after. This effectively takes out all the minerals, good and bad and replaces the good ones. A roundabout way, but the only one that works.

I happened across a reference to the pain-relief properties of ascorbic acid. In this post earlier in this thread, quoted by Psyche, we find:

BACK PAIN FROM DISC DISEASE

Greenwood (27) observed that 1 gram a day would reduce the incidence of necessary surgery on discs. At bowel tolerance levels, ascorbic acid reduces pain about 50% and lessens the difficulties with narcotics and muscle relaxants (2). It is not, however, the only nutritional support that patients with back pain should receive.

This page gives a rather more dramatic example:

orthomed.com said:
VITAMIN C IN HIGH DOSAGES
PROVIDES SIGNIFICANT PAIN RELIEF
Robert F. Cathcart, M.D.

The day before Thanksgiving I had a cornea transplant. When the local began to wear off, it became obvious that it was going to be painful. I began taking 12 grams of ascorbic acid orally every 15 minutes. By the time I reached 72 grams, there was absolutely no pain.

I continued to take 8 to 12 grams and hour that evening and the following day. There was no pain.

Thanksgiving, I returned for a follow-up visit. There had been 2 cases of corneal transplant done the day before. There were no nurses in that day so the doctor came in to do the follow-up by himself. He called both of us in at the same time. As we were walking down the hall together, he asked me if I had pain, I told him about the 72 grams of ascorbate (vitamin C) and told him there was no pain. He asked the other patient the same thing and he replied that it had hurt terribly the night before and still hurt terribly.

Subsequently, the eye incision healed rapidly and there was not pain. The corneal edema, which was the reason for the operation, was due to an old style cataract operation where the lens was placed anterior to the iris and just behind the cornea. (The more modern method is to place the lens posterior to the iris.) Anyway, it was a Leiske lens and a common complication is that it somehow damages the endothelium of the cornea. The cornea grows from the inside out. As little pockets of damaged cells grow toward the surface, it results in corneal edema and corneal ulcers.)

The reason that ascorbate (only in very high doses) is such a good pain killer is because the pain is mediated by free radicals and if there are no free radicals, there is no pain. The important thing to remember is that the ascorbate has to be forced into the tissues involved in very high concentrations before the ascorbate has this pain killing effect.

More recently, I tripped over my dog and hit the concrete with my right eyebrow. This tore open the skin and required 8 stitches. Also there was a partial tear of the supraorbital nerve. While in the ER at Stanford, the young lady physician was beginning to inject some local anesthetic. I knew she was going to send me for an Xray to see if there was any foreign body or fracture of the skull. I told her that she better hurry because the local anesthetic was going to wear off rapidly. She said not to worry because she was using a long-acting local anesthetic. I told her it would wear off rapidly because I had taken some vitamin C. She approved because she took vitamin C herself. I asked her how much and she said, "One gram a day." I told her that I had taken 36 grams in the two hours since the injury. She said, "You must be kidding." Anyway after the Xray, the anesthetic had worn off but since she was using 6-0 sutures which are very small, I bit the bullet and didn't say anything. Afterward, I continued to take 12 grams of ascorbic acid an hour and the pain vanished. I never did take any of the pain medicines I was prescribed. The next morning the wound was itching. It rapidly healed without any difficulty.

- Robert Cathcart, MD

Laura said:
Yes. You can pretty much gauge the level of detox efficacy of your body by how much Vitamin C you tolerate. If you tolerate a lot, you are sick - in a state of acute scurvy - and the less you can tolerate, the better your health. That's what we mean when we talk about titrating your dose. You take it up to the point that you get the gas and bloating and see how much you can tolerate before that happens. When my daughter was very sick, she took 55 grams within a few hours and not even a burble! Now, if she takes more than 4 or 5 grams (sometimes less), she gets bloated.

Is the "vitamin c flush" the same thing as titrating your dose? I have been having trouble finding more detailed instructions on bowel tolerance. I ran across an article today that suggested using 1/2-1 tsp in water every 30 minutes until you have watery stools. Has anyone ever tried this method?

jen1221 said:
Laura said:
Yes. You can pretty much gauge the level of detox efficacy of your body by how much Vitamin C you tolerate. If you tolerate a lot, you are sick - in a state of acute scurvy - and the less you can tolerate, the better your health. That's what we mean when we talk about titrating your dose. You take it up to the point that you get the gas and bloating and see how much you can tolerate before that happens. When my daughter was very sick, she took 55 grams within a few hours and not even a burble! Now, if she takes more than 4 or 5 grams (sometimes less), she gets bloated.

Is the "vitamin c flush" the same thing as titrating your dose? I have been having trouble finding more detailed instructions on bowel tolerance. I ran across an article today that suggested using 1/2-1 tsp in water every 30 minutes until you have watery stools. Has anyone ever tried this method?

If you take enough Ascorbic Acid that you start getting diarrhea, then you've passed the "bowel tolerance" dose. Basically, your tissues are saturated and can't get anymore vitamin C, so it remains in the bowel and loose bowel/diarrhea results. As far as I know, the gas/bloating is the sign that if you keep increasing the dose, you will then get diarrhea. If you do get watery stool, you know you passed the bowel tolerance dose and back it down to the last dose that did not result in gas/bloating/loose/watery stool.

Aragorn said:
Where do you guys buy your ascorbic acid?

I've been searching for a long time now in all kinds of stores for cheap and large quantities of ascorbic acid powder without success. The natural health stores and likes only provide expensive (e.g. Solgar) small can of vitamin C. I mean, ascorbic acid isn't supposed to cost ca 20euros for 2dl, or is it?

Maybe I should try the animal food shops...

Hello
I´m a newbie just wandering in the jungle (sorry, i should say Forum)
Excellent main article about Vitamina C, =ascorbic acid.
But please, let me tell you that the BEST way to get C vitamin is the juice from oranges and even stronger, lemons. Not by Tetrabrick, or so. Directly from original oranges and lemons No pills at all.please. :)
I know the work of Pauling in this issue, and vitamine C is a very very important item. Yu´ll never be intoxicated to take "too much"
Greetings from spain
Kolni

Kolnikov said:
Aragorn said:

I've been searching for a long time now in all kinds of stores for cheap and large quantities of ascorbic acid powder without success. The natural health stores and likes only provide expensive (e.g. Solgar) small can of vitamin C. I mean, ascorbic acid isn't supposed to cost ca 20euros for 2dl, or is it?

Hello
But please, let me tell you that the BEST way to get C vitamin is the juice from oranges and even stronger, lemons. Not by Tetrabrick, or so. Directly from original oranges and lemons No pills at all.please. :)
I know the work of Pauling in this issue, and vitamine C is a very very important item. Yu´ll never be intoxicated to take "too much"
Greetings from spain
Kolni
The problem, Kolnikov, with getting that much Vitamin C from citrus fruit is you would have to consume way too much sugar along with it from the fruit.

Try this source, I bought 5lbs. for 49.75 USD.
-http://www.myspicesage.com/ascorbic-acid-vitamin-c-powder-p-674.html

Mr. Premise said:
Kolnikov said:
Aragorn said:

Hello
Greetings from spain
Kolni
The problem, Kolnikov, with getting that much Vitamin C from citrus fruit is you would have to consume way too much sugar along with it from the fruit.

Uh...Excuse me, I´m only beggining with recommendations made by moderators about reading "diet items".. but that shocked me. I´m I biologist, (gee , even diabeic also, so don´t tell me much about glucosa and sugar, I have to inject me insulina three times a day ;)

Now, what is the matter about a natural sugar wich comes from a natural fruit? Brain NEEDS glucosa. And, maybe I could accept this with oranges, but with lemons...sorry me but little sugar in lemons.
Greetings
Kolni

I have been taking about 4 grams of Vit C a day since I had heart surgery in 8/09. I split the dosage - 2 grams in the morning and 2 at night.
I still get colds but they usually only last a day or 2.

Kolni said:
Uh...Excuse me, I´m only beggining with recommendations made by moderators about reading "diet items".. but that shocked me. I´m I biologist, (gee , even diabeic also, so don´t tell me much about glucosa and sugar, I have to inject me insulina three times a day ;)

Now, what is the matter about a natural sugar wich comes from a natural fruit? Brain NEEDS glucosa. And, maybe I could accept this with oranges, but with lemons...sorry me but little sugar in lemons.
Greetings
Kolni

Well there's no need to be shocked, just think about it in more detail. Some of the doses of ascorbic acid that are used being for detoxification by people here are pretty massive - therefore the equivalent amount in fruit would equal a lot of sugar. As a diabetic and a biologist, you must have some understanding of the problems caused by sugar and the release of insulin (naturally occurring or refined).

Back
Top Bottom