Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

Kolnikov said:
Mr. Premise said:
Kolnikov said:
Aragorn said:
Where do you guys buy your ascorbic acid?

I've been searching for a long time now in all kinds of stores for cheap and large quantities of ascorbic acid powder without success. The natural health stores and likes only provide expensive (e.g. Solgar) small can of vitamin C. I mean, ascorbic acid isn't supposed to cost ca 20euros for 2dl, or is it?

Maybe I should try the animal food shops...

Hello
I´m a newbie just wandering in the jungle (sorry, i should say Forum)
Excellent main article about Vitamina C, =ascorbic acid.
But please, let me tell you that the BEST way to get C vitamin is the juice from oranges and even stronger, lemons. Not by Tetrabrick, or so. Directly from original oranges and lemons No pills at all.please. :)
I know the work of Pauling in this issue, and vitamine C is a very very important item. Yu´ll never be intoxicated to take "too much"
Greetings from spain
Kolni
The problem, Kolnikov, with getting that much Vitamin C from citrus fruit is you would have to consume way too much sugar along with it from the fruit.

Uh...Excuse me, I´m only beggining with recommendations made by moderators about reading "diet items".. but that shocked me. I´m I biologist, (gee , even diabeic also, so don´t tell me much about glucosa and sugar, I have to inject me insulina three times a day ;)

Now, what is the matter about a natural sugar wich comes from a natural fruit? Brain NEEDS glucosa. And, maybe I could accept this with oranges, but with lemons...sorry me but little sugar in lemons.
Greetings
Kolni

Have you read this entire thread, Kolnikov?

The health benefits of vitamin C go well beyond a stronger immune system

Monday, April 11, 2011 by: Melissa Makris
See all articles by this author
Email this author

(NaturalNews) Vitamin C is perhaps best known for its ability to strengthen the immune system. But this potent nutrient also has many other important roles that control significant aspects of our health.

When we get enough in our diets, vitamin C helps detoxify our bodies, promotes healing of all of our cells, and allows us to better deal with stress. It also supports the good bacteria in our gut, destroys detrimental bacteria and viruses, neutralizes harmful free radicals, removes heavy metals, protects us from pollution, and much more.

Unfortunately, most Americans are not getting anywhere near enough of this vitamin to experience these health benefits. That's especially true for our children.

One reason why we fall so short is that our diet simply does not consist of nearly enough raw fruits and vegetables. Another reason is that the RDA of 90 mg for vitamin C is set much too low, which is the same problem we see with vitamin D. Such a low RDA leads people into a false sense of security that they are meeting their daily requirements. It also makes them wary of taking the much higher dosages that are required for good health.

So the question becomes just how much vitamin C does a human need? A good starting point is to look at animals that are able to synthesize their own vitamin C.

All animals except humans, primates, guinea pigs, and a handful of other species are able to make their own vitamin C. We know that the vast majority of animals make approximately 30 mg per kg of body weight. That works out to be about 2 grams of vitamin C for a 150 pound person. We also know that when animals are under stress, injured, or sick, they can make up to ten times more vitamin C than their normal daily requirements.

Since humans are unable to make vitamin C, we must get it from our diets. When the differences in body weights are equalized, primates and guinea pigs consume 20 to 80 times the RDA suggested amount. The great apes, our closest living relatives, require anywhere from 2-6 grams (2,000 - 6,000 mg) of Vitamin C per day under normal healthy conditions.

How much we humans need can be a bit more complicated, as it depends on many variables such as diet, age, stress level, amount of exposure to pollutants, amount of medications we take, and overall health. A generic amount is around 1-4 grams per day for a healthy individual. People with serious illnesses will need much, much more.

Excellent food sources of this potent nutrient include rose hips, acerola cherries, and camu camu fruit. More common produce such as chili peppers, red peppers, parsley, kiwifruit, and broccoli are also good sources. It is important to note that most of the vitamin C in foods will be destroyed with cutting, cooking, storing, and other forms of processing.

As far as supplements are concerned, natural vitamin C complexes are much more potent than the common and less expensive ascorbate forms. However, someone that needs a lot of vitamin C will find that the natural complexes can be cost prohibitive. Mineral ascorbates and ascorbic acid are acceptable forms to take for reaping all of vitamin C's many health benefits. Just be sure to look for vitamin C supplements that are non-GMO, as the vast majority of these supplements come from GMO corn.

Sources:

http://www.how-to-boost-your-immune...
http://www.how-to-boost-your-immune...
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org

About the author
Melissa Makris is a researcher with a technical background in immunology. She is passionate about holistic and alternative methods of healing. Her website How to Boost Your Immune System shares information on how to improve immune system health using simple, natural methods.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032027_vitamin_C_immune_system.html#ixzz1JJ0SeCYK

Just realized that I had a giant "appetite" for vitamin c. Bought it. Tried it. Was happy (with the taste).

It began during the last weeks. I always thought, something's missing. Then I realized what it is... and I noticed I really craved for vitamin c, but unfortunately there was nothing available for me in the last days. Always when I smoked this feeling increased.

So eventually I bought some ascorbic acid - what a relief :D

I just mixed 7-10 grams into some lemon juice during the last hours. The craving is still there. I am curious when I will reach the bowel tolerance and if it colerates with this craving. I read in this thread, Robert Cathcart noticed that his patients could sense the amounts they needed. In a few days I can tell you more. So far no massive bloating or diarrhea.

It is good to be taking vitamin C but I am wondering what the nature of this craving is. Maybe you are vitamin C deficient but maybe you are craving something sour for a different reason? It would be very hard for me to take 7-10g of vitamin C in an eight ounce glass... so I am a bit confused...

reading online it seems common the pregnant women crave the sour taste...but I did not find any other causes for a sour craving. I do not think it is because your body "wants" vitamin C, but you never know.

are you sick with the cold or flu? If not you probably do not need to take so much vitamin C and should have already reached the bowel tolerance. That is what the reading on this subject says I believe.

wetroof said:
It is good to be taking vitamin C but I am wondering what the nature of this craving is. Maybe you are vitamin C deficient but maybe you are craving something sour for a different reason? It would be very hard for me to take 7-10g of vitamin C in an eight ounce glass... so I am a bit confused...

I can take 20g with eight ounce of juice, it is just a little bit sour but I like this taste.

wetroof said:
reading online it seems common the pregnant women crave the sour taste...but I did not find any other causes for a sour craving. I do not think it is because your body "wants" vitamin C, but you never know.

Since yesterday I took 20-30 Gramm and the cravings are nearly gone, but not completely.

wetroof said:
are you sick with the cold or flu? If not you probably do not need to take so much vitamin C and should have already reached the bowel tolerance. That is what the reading on this subject says I believe.

No, I am not sick, besides the general condition, which is not perfect (blocked nose, headaches, etc.). I still didn't reach the bowel tolerance either.

Kolnikov said:
Uh...Excuse me, I´m only beggining with recommendations made by moderators about reading "diet items".. but that shocked me. I´m I biologist, (gee , even diabeic also, so don´t tell me much about glucosa and sugar, I have to inject me insulina three times a day ;)

Now, what is the matter about a natural sugar wich comes from a natural fruit? Brain NEEDS glucosa. And, maybe I could accept this with oranges, but with lemons...sorry me but little sugar in lemons.
Greetings
Kolni

Kolnikov, we have other diabetics on the forum who have been able to reduce or completely stop insulin injections on the diet. You say you are a biologist, but there are obviously some things about human metabolism that you either do not know, or do not understand the implications. Please read "Life Without Bread" for a good discussion about the differences between glucose and fat metabolism, and how the mitochondria were designed to utilize fat and do so much more efficiently, and all the related ills that insulin can cause. It could save your life since you are already at risk.

Dunno if it's due to the vitamin C but I have horrible migraine like headaches. (I suffer from them recurring since my childhood)

Added: Information about heavy metals and vitamin C. The sources are from a german e-book.

Lowering the heavy metal Burden

Vitamin C is able to reduce the damaging effect of lead, cadmium and mercury (1). Among others vitamin C reduces the reception of these substances into the bloodstream (2). It holds the heavy metals into solution, so that they can be secreted, instead of being deposed in the tissues. (1).

Also the toxic effect of chrome(IV) can be decreased with vitamin C, because vitamin C reduces chrome(IV) into chrome(III) (3).

The result of another study: On 40 with lead poisoned mothers a therapy with calciumphosphate and vitamin C (1g/day) during pregnancy was accomplished.

Lead was reduced by 90%, cadmium in the placenta even by 96% in comparison with untreated mothers.

Experiments verify that vitamin C as a radical scavenger provides a effective protection against toxic substances, which are absorbed or created while smoking and alcohol consumption.

So vitamin C protects against heavy metal toxicity, which leads to a variety of unspecific symptoms like skin changes, hair loss and concentration disorder (5).

Vitamin C protects against amalgam poisoning as well. There is evidence that vitamin C promotes the excretion of mercury and simultaneously blocks its resorption (6).

(1) Pauling L.: How to live longer and feel better. 1986
(2) Fox M.R. et al.: Effects of vitamin C and iron on cadmium metabolism. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1980; 355:249-261
(3) Samitz M.H. et al.: Ascorbic acid in the prevention of chrome dermatitis. 1968, Arch.Environ.Health 17/44-45
(4) Altmann P. et al.: Über die entbleiende Wirkung einer kombinierten Therapie mit Calcium-Phosphat und Vitamin C bei erhöhter Bleibelastung in der Schwangerschaft. 1981, Wien. Med. Wschr. 131/311-314
(5) Ziemann B., Enzmann F.: Vitamin C Ascorbinsäure, Ein lebensnotwendiger Schutzfaktor, 1998, MSE Pharmazeutik
(6) Journal für Orthomolekulare Medizin, 1999; 1/99 Ralf Reglin Verlag, Köln

Stranger said:
Dunno if it's due to the vitamin C but I have horrible migraine like headaches. (I suffer from them recurring since my childhood)

Are you on the ultra-simple-diet Stranger (without gluten, coffee etc)?

Laura said:
Kolnikov said:

Greetings
Kolni

Kolnikov, we have other diabetics on the forum who have been able to reduce or completely stop insulin injections on the diet. You say you are a biologist, but there are obviously some things about human metabolism that you either do not know, or do not understand the implications. Please read "Life Without Bread" for a good discussion about the differences between glucose and fat metabolism, and how the mitochondria were designed to utilize fat and do so much more efficiently, and all the related ills that insulin can cause. It could save your life since you are already at risk.

Definitely agreed, out of my own experience Kolnikov, it is possible to deal with diabetes in a much better way than I could have imagined. Gluten is really an important part what messes the whole system up, even if it is not one of the possibilities that causes diabetes.

I like to see it from a funny side too: diabetics are known to eat the most sugar (these jokes about a sweet tooth etc.) and maybe it is meant that way, not to, or almost not to eat any carbs, especially as a diabetic.

Legolas said:

Unfortunately not (completely)! My current situation isn't allowing much flexibility. I just received the book and will read it.

Besides that I gave up gluten, milk products, lectin-vegetables, most processed food a couple of month ago. Also most sugars. Coffee only occasionally. (Last time a week ago or so)

Even when I ate completely low-carb (not mor than 72 grams) AND 100% healthy for a while, I had heavy migraines. But only after doing the FIR sauna or heavy metal detoxification supplements.

My feeling is that vitamin C promotes mercury detoxing in my body, so that it is released out of the cells into my bloodstream. I used more than 40 (!) grams within less than 24 hours without any reactions (besides the headaches), and I don't have a cold or flu which would make this high dose necessary for me.

Stranger said:
Legolas said:

Even when I ate completely low-carb (not mor than 72 grams) AND 100% healthy for a while, I had heavy migraines. But only after doing the FIR sauna or heavy metal detoxification supplements.

does this mean that you had the migraine after the FIR sauna and/or after taking the heavy metal detoxification supplements ?

I apologize for posting without having read the whole thread yet. I would like to share an anecdote from my family. My mom says that modern, ascorbic-acid-only vitamin C does not take out cold and flus like vitamin C used to, in her experience. She say that she's found that vitamin C with rose hips does work, however. She read once that when you take vitamin C, it is used up by the body withing a few hours. So, to "kill" a cold or flu, she follows a regimen she learned where you take several grams of vitamin C every hour or two all day. She was trying this with plain ascorbic acid vitamin C and it wasn't really working, so we went out and got some vitamin C with rose hips, and it seems like it had an effect. After beginning to take the new stuff, she started waking up without the sore throat she had been dealing with for several days.

It's possible the reason for decline in vitamin C effectiveness could be due to things mentioned earlier in the thread, like new, "special" wax-coated and other non-absorb-able vitamin C varieties. The idea of getting bulk vitamin C of the kind given to animals is an extremely good idea, so I'm thankful for the idea although I forget who said it.

I haven't seen it posted anywhere, and i am sorry if i missed it, but i found Irwin Stone's (biochemist, chemical engineer) book online, with permission for publication by his son, The Healing Factor - Vitamin C Against Disease. The book was written in 1972, with forewords by Nobel Prize winners, Dr. Linus Pauling and Dr. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi.

http://vitamincfoundation.org/stone/

All kinds of conditions are listed, with suggestions for vitamin C dosage, etc.

For the last 2 months I took 3-5 grams vitamin c daily. Today I took slightly more (6-7 grams) and instantly noticed the bloating, diarrhea followed. I am just glad that my initial headaches reaction after vitamin c intake is gone. FIR sauna sessions also don't give me migraines anymore. Seems my body couldn't handle the secreted toxins in both cases.

I'm a vitamin C addict, I've take it for over ten years, but this last week, my mom went out on a business trip, and I stayed home with a certain amount of money that only covered my basic needs and to pay some bills. Well, on sunday I ran out of vitamin C, my current dose is 6000 mg per day, 2000 in each meal.

So after 5 days of not taking vitamin C I can feel the difference, my bowel movement is slower than ever, I'm always thirsty and my anxiety is rising, I can't believe all of this symptoms arose after only 5 days of no vitamin C supplements!

As soon as I can, I'll buy more vitamin C, and keep on taking it, because it's a miracle worker.

Back
Top Bottom