Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

Nienna Eluch said:
I recently started using this one, thank you 1984. :) I find that it is not as "harsh" tasting and mixes up nicely in the water than the other one I was using.

Same here cost is 24$ if you order it every month. But the delivery to Japan take another 12$.
I drink one spoon in the morning before breakfast.
Thanks again!

Megan said:
Buffered vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) does not taste as sour to me. You might have to use more of it to have the same effect, though.
That's the one that I use too, non-acidic. On that note I have a question someone may be able to answer. Over the past 14 hours I have had 3 t-spoons of vit C (been a bit sneezy and sluggish as in hayfeverwise) and it has had no 'unususl' effects on my bowl movements whatsoever. Normally I would be running to the loo every half hour, but nothing.

Is it possible that my body needed it so much it has actually absorbed it and nothing is being 'wasted'. I'm at a loss to understand this unusual reaction. Any feedback most welcome.

Your bowel tolerance may vary over time. For me, it was originally around 5 grams, but lately I have had to take 20 grams before I start to hear that gurgle.

Megan said:
Your bowel tolerance may vary over time. For me, it was originally around 5 grams, but lately I have had to take 20 grams before I start to hear that gurgle.

I find that the more fat I eat, the lower it is, and also that eating anything with fiber in it - in any significant amount - dramatically increases it along with potentially leaving me constipated, unless ridiculous amounts are used.

I think I forgot to mention that there was plenty of 'gurgling' from get go but there was no change to bowel movements; they remained normal. By the way, the next day I felt just fine and back to hard work. :)

I´ve been using the vit.C from LAMBERT since starting last year. Because it´s pricy here in Spain, (42 Euros/250 Gr's.), I thought its quality should be ok. But after reading here 80% vit C is made from corn, I contacted Lambert in UK, who confirmed their Vit C was made from corn, although GMO free. Besides, they didn´t want to tell me the area from where they are getting it, arguing this information was not important at all! (I wanted to know if they were importing it from China). And by the way, I compaired the price of the same Vit C container from Lambert UK and Lambert Spain: the Spanish one is almost three times more expensive! :huh: So no more trusting price versus quality for me!

1984 said:
I read recently that 80% of the world's ascorbic acid is now produced in China. I buy from this website (non-GMO, manufactured in Europe and corn-free): vitamincfoundation.org/powder.shtml

Thanks for your tip 1984! I´m using now this one too as its web information looks reliable.

Vitamin C or L-ascorbic acid or L-ascorbate is an essential nutrient for humans and certain other animal species, in which it functions as a vitamin. In living organisms, ascorbate is an antioxidant, since it protects the body against oxidative stress.

It is also a cofactor in at least eight enzymatic reactions, including several collagen synthesis reactions that cause the most severe symptoms of scurvy when they are dysfunctional. In animals, these reactions are especially important in wound-healing and in preventing bleeding from capillaries.

1984 said:
I read recently that 80% of the world's ascorbic acid is now produced in China. I buy from this website (non-GMO, manufactured in Europe and corn-free): vitamincfoundation.org/powder.shtml

Hi 1984 do you know where can I buy Magnesium similar to the vit C from http://vitamincfoundation.org/powder.shtml ? (non-GMO, manufactured in Europe and corn-free)?
I see after my diet changed 6 months ago I have some symptoms what looks like magnesium deficiency.
Thank again for your help. My whole family drink it now.

Kaigen said:
1984 said:

Hi 1984 do you know where can I buy Magnesium similar to the vit C from http://vitamincfoundation.org/powder.shtml ? (non-GMO, manufactured in Europe and corn-free)?
I see after my diet changed 6 months ago I have some symptoms what looks like magnesium deficiency.
Thank again for your help. My whole family drink it now.

This one looks like it contains nothing but mag citrate in powder form. I have used Now products before, and I'd recommend them:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=magnesium+powder&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=unx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=596&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8497627940291881803&sa=X&ei=_xL6TpnEH-OJiALZs6y1Dg&ved=0CI4BEPMCMAA

Below you can see where you can buy said product from, and the different prices. Good luck!

:D Sorry Alana, for not replaying and thank you for this link. Somehow the new posts feed did not work so I haven't seen them till now.
I will order it from iHerb.com with some other products on my list.

:D to order was very easy and it came very quickly. I ordered Magenesium and xylitol.

I'm sick with flu today and self employed so have to work! This morning I've taken about 12000-13000mg of Vit C so far in 1000mg tabs. Was planning to keep taking throughout the day. Any opinions? Like do I keep taking them until I get the squirts? Lol, outside dog walking when I get a rumble in my pants!

Jamie

If your tablets are pure ascorbic acid then huge dose taken at once can upset your stomach. In this case I wouldn't try taking more than 5 grams of acid at once. If you have buffered version of Vitamin C, then there should be no problem.

BTW, have you read Baking Soda thread? http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,15377.0.html It might be usefull in your case.

mugatea said:
I'm sick with flu today and self employed so have to work! This morning I've taken about 12000-13000mg of Vit C so far in 1000mg tabs. Was planning to keep taking throughout the day. Any opinions? Like do I keep taking them until I get the squirts? Lol, outside dog walking when I get a rumble in my pants!

Jamie
Can I ask what your diet looks like, m? :)

I do try to eat as much fatty meat as I can but my diet could be better, I love bacon and eggs, pork chops etc, but at the moment I've been working 7 days a week and last week almost went into meltdown and I think that made me vurnerable. Anwyay, I've taken just under 2 grams of Vit C tablets and am feeling better at the moment and managed a few hours of work, but I'll see how I feel later and keep on taking the tabs.

Back
Top Bottom