Beautiful Art: architecture, paintings, sculptures, etc

The Apennine Colossus (Italian: Il Colosso dell' Appennino) is a monumental sculpture (98 feet high) built from 1579 to 1583 by the Flemish sculptor Jean Bologne (1529-1608).

worldbeautiesandwonders629daf4e6f93a700.webp

Appennino.jpg

And the dragon at the back of the Colossus:
1280px-Parco_di_pratolino%2C_appennino_del_giambologna%2C_drago_del_foggini_02.JPG

Within the giant exist a series of chambers and caves on three levels.[5] In the ground floor of the colossus exists a cave[13] containing an octagonal fountain dedicated to the Greek goddess Thetys.[14] The Italian painter Jacopo Ligozzi adorned the Grotto de Thetys[15] with frescos of villages from the Mediterranean coast of Tuscany in 1586.[16] In other chambers mining scenes based on the book De re metallica by the mineralogist Georgius Agricola were to be seen.[17] In the giant's upper floor is a chamber big enough for a small orchestra and in the head a small chamber holds a fireplace out of which the smoke would escape through his nostrils.[10] The chamber in the head had slits in the ears and the eyes.
Source: Wikipedia

The Mysore Palace in India, also known as Amba Vilas Palace, has been built between 1897 and 1912, after the fire in 1896 of the Old Palace.

UmUHNQ5hBzoBPlUrD34AJwchVi4GOAAuATo-1600x600.jpg

A Courtyard of Mysore Palace during day:

A_Courtyard_of_Amba_Vilas_Palace_(Mysuru_Palace),_during_day.jpg

The courtroom:

Mysore-Karnataka-63.jpg

The Durbar Hall, ceremonial meeting hall of the royal court:

A_very_well_lit_Durbar_Hall_(ceremonial_meeting_hall_of_the_royal_court)_of_Amba_Vilas_Palace_...jpg

The Marriage Pavilion or Kalyanamantapa:

India-Karnataka-Mysore-Palace-27.jpg

Attachments

• India-Karnataka-Mysore-Palace-22.webp
    323.4 KB · Views: 0
The Pioneer (1904) by Frederick McCubbin.
The three panels tell a story of a new pioneer and his family making a life in the Australian bush and the results of time passing after their initial settlement. It was later found that McCubbin painted over one of his most popular paintings - called 'Found' - to create The Pioneer.
thepioneerfrederickmccubbin.jpg

The sculpture named "Laocoön Group", or sometimes "Laocoön and His Sons", is exhibited in the Vatican's Octagon Courtyard. The scene depicted in the monumental and astonishing in its realism of fright is brutal: the futile struggle of a terrified man and his two young sons with the deadly embrace of sea serpents. Leaning back in a futile attempt to free himself, Laocoon is depicted just as one of the snakes is about to bite him.

In Greek mythology, Laocoon "the one who understands the people", is one of the protagonists of the Trojan horse episode.

lagoon-main.jpg

The Apennine Colossus (Italian: Il Colosso dell' Appennino) is a monumental sculpture (98 feet high) built from 1579 to 1583 by the Flemish sculptor Jean Bologne (1529-1608).
Having never seen or known of that statue it takes my breath away. The skill involved to create such an edifice in such a situation speaks of drive and determination. It speaks of power, not power used unnecessarily but just latent and there if needed.

I love it.!!!

I absolutely love these old buildings. Thank you for posting. But I don’t buy the Wikipedia narratives on the history or timelines. 70 years before the alleged construction date, there was no Jaipur at all, according to their own narrative. (There was a city 11 Km away which was running out of water) The narrative states that the Jaipur street layout, city walls and administrative palaces were thrown up in 4 years. The narrative also states they were autonomous from the British Raj at the time (and so did not have access to any industrial revolution machinery to get the job done: my inference) Here is a pic from 1875 for contrast which was the year before they painted it pink for the Prince of Wales.

1676427962429.jpeg
street vendors and ox carts

Back
Top Bottom