Cancer: causes and cures

Ketosis and cancer

This is a good interview with Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, PhD, by Dr. Mercola. D’Agostino discovered ketosis benefits while working on a project for the Navy involving problems that SEAL divers were having with brain oxygen when using rebreather SCUBA gear.

Interesting views on calorie, carb and protein restriction. Also good info on self testing blood glucose and blood ketones, as opposed to urine strips. He found that there is a great response against cancer when ketosis is combined with hyperbaric chamber sessions. A very informative video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RntTZR4UJUQ

EDIT: Added the overview from Mercola's site:

Story at-a-glance

A mounting body of research suggests most cancers are highly responsive to therapeutic ketosis—a natural physiologic state induced during prolonged states of decreased glucose—in combination with calorie restriction
One way to achieve this is to use a ketogenic diet that retains non-starchy vegetable carbohydrates, replacing them with high amounts of healthy fats and adequate amounts of high-quality protein

Healthy cells have the metabolic flexibility to adapt from using glucose to using ketone bodies. Cancer cells lack this metabolic flexibility, so when you eliminate carbs, which are metabolized to glucose, you effectively starve cancer of its primary fuel source.

Intermittent fasting, where you gradually restrict the window of time during which you eat food down to about six to eight hours per day aids in the transition from burning carbs to burning fat

The ketogenic diet by itself can extend survival in animal models of metastatic cancer, but recent research shows that when it’s combined with hyperbaric oxygen therapy three times per week, there is a significant additive effect

_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/30/dagostino-cancer-research.aspx?e_cid=20130630_SNL_Art_1&utm_source=snl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20130630

Re: Ketosis and cancer

Thanks for the video Rabelais, this is by far the best interview I have listened so far on Ketosis and following a ketogenic diet. The full interview is almost two hours long but well worth the time especially for those who are still considering starting the diet or are struggling to keep in ketosis. Dr. Dominic D'Agostino is very knowledgeable on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LDc5TxOcvA

Rabelais said:
This is a good interview with Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, PhD, by Dr. Mercola. D’Agostino discovered ketosis benefits while working on a project for the Navy involving problems that SEAL divers were having with brain oxygen when using rebreather SCUBA gear.

This is a great interview. Thank you for posting it.

Just a wealth of information, presented in clear and concise fashion. Interesting it came out of initial research for the U.S. Navy. I now have a whole different understanding of hypoglycemia, along with an even greater appreciation for coconut oil. Good to see the reference to Dr. Mary Newport's work as well.

obyvatel said:
Another thread which discusses this topic
Cancer as a Metabolic Disease

Thanks for the link to that thread, obyvatel. Having recently discovered a polyp that may or may not be malignant, I am doing a lot of research on alternative cancer therapies. The Cass forum network is probably one of the best resources for effective alternative treatments for disease. There is an amazing wealth of research information here.

Also, thanks Eboard10 for the link to the full D’Agostino interview. I will view it tonight.

obyvatel said:
Another thread which discusses this topic
Cancer as a Metabolic Disease

This is a wonderfully informative thread. Thank you!

Looks like Otto Warburg had this pegged as early as the 1920's. And the subsequent billions and billions moved us in the wrong direction. "War on cancer" no different from "war on poverty", and "war on drugs". Not the mention the mother of all wars..."war on terror".

Having watched the 2 hour video made it possible for me to actually follow your Seyfried excerpts with good comprehension. This was a pleasant surprise. The basic concepts were not difficult.

Dr. D'Agostino agreed with these earlier findings. And suggested adding hyperbaric oxygen treatment to the ketogenic protocol. Or even just pure oxygen if chamber isn't available. I sensed his conviction even through his careful and guarded words. Not very complicated.

Sure beats ingesting poison and getting irradiated in my mind. Again, thank you for posting this information.

PS It was good to see there were "good" Warburgs in the 1920's and not just evil ones. :)

Rabelais said:

Interesting views on calorie, carb and protein restriction. Also good info on self testing blood glucose and blood ketones, as opposed to urine strips. He found that there is a great response against cancer when ketosis is combined with hyperbaric chamber sessions. A very informative video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RntTZR4UJUQ

Thanks for the link to this, it was great the way D'Agostino explained the biochemical processes. I was quite amazed to see this article on a CBN website, when I was searching the net for ketosis and cancer(read article here _http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/December/Starving-Cancer-Ketogenic-Diet-a-Key-to-Recovery/)

Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery

Many people are frustrated with today's cancer treatments. They are expensive, painful and often just don't work.

However, there is a new cancer treatment that is free, has virtually no side effects, and can be used in conjunction with other cancer treatments.

It involves cutting out carbohydrates, beginning with the worst carb of all - sugar.

Killing Cancer

Dr. Fred Hatfield is an impressive guy: a power-lifting champion, author of dozens of books, a millionaire businessman with a beautiful wife. But he'll tell you his greatest accomplishment is killing his cancer just in the nick of time.

"The doctors gave me three months to live because of widespread metastatic cancer in my skeletal structure," he recalled. "Three months, three different doctors told me that same thing."

His wife Gloria remembers it well.

"It's a horrible, horrible feeling to have someone tell you that the person you love only has three months to live and you're not going to be with him any more," she said.

While Hatfield was preparing to die, he heard about an anti-cancer diet, also known as metabolic therapy. With nothing to lose, he gave it a try and was shocked when it actually worked.

"The cancer was gone!" he exclaimed. "Completely. To this day there's no trace of it. And it's been over a year."

Starving Bad Cells

Although it wasn't easy, Hatfield stopped eating carbohydrates, which turn into glucose inside your body. Cancer cells love glucose and need it so badly, that if you stop giving it to them, they die.

"It just absolutely amazes me that medical science is just now finding this out," he said.

Hatfield's cancer recovery, however, was not a surprise to Dr. Dominic D'Agostino, who researches metabolic therapy. When he and his team of scientists at the University of South Florida removed carbohydrates from the diets of lab mice, the mice survived highly aggressive metastatic cancer even better than when they were treated with chemotherapy.

"We have dramatically increased survival with metabolic therapy," he said. "So we think it's important to get this information out."

It's not just lab mice. Dr. D'Agostino has also seen similar success in people - lots of them.

"I've been in correspondence with a number of people," he said. "At least a dozen over the last year-and-a-half to two years, and all of them are still alive, despite the odds. So this is very encouraging."

The Ketogenic Diet

All cells, including cancer cells, are fueled by glucose. But if you deprive them of glucose, they switch to the alternate fuel, ketone bodies.

Except cancer cells. A defect prevents them from making the switch to using ketone bodies as fuel and therefore, cancer cells can only survive on glucose. All other cells can use either glucose or ketone bodies.

"Your normal cells have the metabolic flexibility to adapt from using glucose to using ketone bodies. But cancer cells lack this metabolic flexibility. So we can exploit that," Dr. D'Agostino explained.

People like Hatfield, who want to deprive their cells of glucose and fuel them with ketone bodies instead, eat what's known as a ketogenic diet. It consists of almost zero carbohydrates, but lots of natural proteins and fats.

Gloria said the food on the ketogenic diet is in every grocery store and is pretty easy to prepare.

"You can go online and there's cook books," she said, "It's clean eating. Just very clean eating, none of the sugars, the salts, the trash food."

"Natural" proteins are ones that are in their original form. On the other hand, "processed" meats, like cold cuts and hot dogs, are off-limits because often carbohydrates have been added to them.

Similarly, "natural" fats are whole foods, like olive oil, avocados, and nuts. Stay away from "trans" fats, such as shortening or margarine, any oil that is hydrogenated. Trans fats are man-made.

Safe & Healthy

Sometimes people are afraid to try the ketogenic diet because they think eating fat like this is bad for your heart. But more doctors say as long as it's natural, fat is good for you, even saturated fat like coconut oil and butter.

"Is cholesterol the major cause of heart disease?" cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra asked. "Absolutely not."

In his book, The Great Cholesterol Myth, Dr. Sinatra said the real cause of heart disease is inflammation, which comes from eating too many carbohydrates.

"We need to coach our patients and empower our patients about the dangers of sugar," he said. "Unfortunately, they're not hearing that. They're hearing the converse, the dangers of fat. Fat is healthy for you, as long as you avoid trans fats."

So by cutting back on carbohydrates and eating natural fats and proteins, you could improve your heart health and even wipe out cancer.

Additional Information:

The ketogenic diet has also proven successful in treating epilepsy. For more information, go to The Charlie Foundation.

For additional resources and recipes for delicious ketogenic diet foods, such as breads and cupcakes with all natural ingredients, check out the following resources:

500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
The Cantin Ketogenic Diet: For Cancer, Type I Diabetes & Other Ailments
RSG1 Foundation
Solace Nutrition
Dietary Therapies LLC - Miriam Kalamian, ketogenic diet consultant for cancer
KetoNutrition - Information, resources and supplies for metabolic management of cancer.
KetoTherapeutics - a ketogenic diet support website.

Re: Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: Thomas Seyfried

Today I stumbled across an interview of Thomas Seyfried by Dr. Mercola

called
Dr. Mercola Interviews Professor Thomas Seyfried
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_UY-WnH1k

It is 1hr 16 minutes.

I have not finished it yet, but so far it seems to be an interesting interview.

Re: Breast Cancer Treatment?

Megan said:
Knowing what I know, if I were fighting cancer today (I am not -- I am a 5-year survivor) I would be very afraid of any would-be treatment program that recommended a vegetarian or vegan diet, and that lacked awareness of the dietary issues. It might work for some people, but then some people would recover on their own, especially if not subjected to standard medical treatments.

Regarding a strict ketogenic diet and cancer; since I was diagnosed with a tumor in my bladder last May, I began intensive reading on alternative cancer therapies. An initial scan presented a 19 mm growth inside the bladder, which was drawn to my attention by bloody urine. A later full pelvic, abdominal and thoracic scan revealed no further objects.

I found an excellent book by Suzanne Somers, Knockout. In it she interviews all of the integrative oncologists who helped her cure her breast cancer. She also interviews doctors Stanislaw Burzynski, Russell Blaylock, Nicholas Gonzalez and James Forsythe, among many others. This book is the most impressive compilation of alternative cancer therapies that I have been able to find all in one place. These are doctors whose results in practice are producing long term survivors from patients who had exhausted all conventional therapies and been sent home to die from their stage IV widely metastasized cancers. These doctors are all managing to work within the restrictions of the "official" standard of care of conventional oncology. I was very impressed with the level of questions asked by Somers, who I had always dismissed as the ditzy blonde character she portrays in her TV sitcom work. Nothing could be further from reality. She is a savvy and highly intelligent woman who first submitted herself to the horrors of traditional cancer therapy before realizing that it was all terribly wrong. I can't recommend highly enough her book, Knockout, as required reading for anyone diagnosed with cancer, BEFORE foregoing conventional treatment.

I was particularly impressed with the therapeutic approaches, and their successes, of doctors Forsythe and Gonzalez. I subscribed to Gonzalez' newsletter and have had telephone discussions with his staff. In one of the recent newsletters Dr. Gonzalez discusses the current popularity of the ketogenic diet and cancer, and why he does not subscribe to it for the treatment of hard tumor cancers, although there are certain cancers where he does use a low carb/high fat regimen. He customizes his therapies/diets for each individual patient after careful analysis of all of their medical history, lab work and physical condition. Some very interesting material in this 8 part series of articles.

Here is the link to this series. It is formatted with the most recent article (#8) at the top and the first article at the bottom of the page, so you might want to start at the bottom and read up to keep it in sequence.

_http://www.naturalhealth365.com/category/ketogenic_diet

From article #7 of the series:

I do have a challenge, a gentlemanly academic challenge of course, to Dr. Seyfried. In this article, I have presented a number of cases, seven to be exact, four from Kelley’s files and three from my own practice. The four Kelley cases include the 31-year survivor of metastatic pancreatic cancer confirmed at Mayo, the 34-year survivor of stage IV endometrial cancer, the five-year survivor of aggressive brain cancer, and the 11-year survivor of advanced, aggressive multiple myeloma.

The three from my practice include the stage IV 25-year survivor of metastatic inflammatory breast cancer, my 15 year survivor of stage IV pancreatic cancer, and my three and a half year survivor of stage IV lung cancer that has totally regressed on my therapy.

With the exception of the myeloma patient, all the other six patients, both Kelley’s and mine, followed a high carb, plant-based diet, replete with frequent servings of fruit and multiple glasses daily of sugar-rich carrot juice. I challenge, for the benefit of science, Dr. Seyfried to match these seven simple straightforward cases. In my experience, no one else has been able to meet the challenge, so I question whether Dr. Seyfried can either.

The point I’m trying to make is simple. In science, as in most walks of life, a little caution certainly goes a long way. In my practice, I am already receiving letters and faxes and calls from prospective patients diagnosed with advanced cancer of a variety of types, who with great enthusiasm jumped on the ketogenic diet bandwagon – with poor results.

In my next and final article in this series on the ketogenic diet as a cancer treatment, I will offer my suggestions as to why the diet most likely won’t work for most people, based on past epidemiological research and current biochemical thinking.

From article #8:

In terms of our specific discussion, diet as cancer treatment, Dr. Kelley demonstrated more recently in his Dallas, Texas, and Winthrop, Washington offices, no one diet suits all patients diagnosed with the disease, quite the contrary. Over a 20 year period working in the trenches treating many thousands of people, Dr. Kelley came to learn that each patient who walked into his office required a diet designed specifically for his or her metabolic needs, and these dietary requirements could vary enormously from patient to patient.

Food for thought. I am not trying to be the devil's advocate, but like the story of the use of a piece of twine to wrap a package, or to hang by over a precipice, there is a difference of perspicacity involved. I find myself staring into the precipice. I am impressed with Dr. Gonzalez' background and current results in his practice. It would seem unwise to fail to consider his views on ketosis and cancer. If I had the money I would be at his NY clinic today. I only wish I had had this information when I lost my father to pancreatic cancer in 1990.

There seems to be a growing body of evidence that Vitamin C / ascorbic acid can have a powerful impact on cancer as well, in particular something along the lines of lipsomal C since it's apparently more "bio-available" and more readily absorbed (rather than being removed in the urine).

Some cancer patients receive very high doses (30,000mg+ daily) intravenously, and it has been shown to kill the cancer cells.

Just recently found out about a Dr Samir Chachoua, an Australian doctor, who is living and working somewhere in South America and has a couple of clinics ( Australia and America, I think) where he uses Induced Remission Therapy to treat cancer, AIDS and other progressive diseases.
There seems to be a decent amount of information on the internet about him and video lectures where he explains his procedure and research. A Facebook page is also referenced but I'm not sure if that is still active.
I found out about him from a Suzy Martin who treated him after an attempt on his life when he had his research taken from him by a californian medical research institute and denied any further access ( or so the story goes).
I'm still looking into it but so far I haven't found anything untoward about him. FWIW

Italian Oncologist claims he can cure cancer with baking soda

More information on this page
_http://www.curenaturalicancro.com/therapy-simoncini.html

Unfortunately the page doesn't display all text. This certainly sounds interesting and it does make sense that fungus would be main contributing factor in different types of cancer.
Is this Simoncini a quack? Hard to say. The establishment has surely come down hard on him.

Cancer.org said:
According to the Cancer Treatment Watch Web site, "[Dr. Simoncini] has been using unsubstantiated cancer treatments for 15 years… in 2003, his [Italian] license to practice medicine was withdrawn, and in 2006 he was convicted by an Italian judge for wrongful death and swindling… This has not stopped him from continuing to provide his controversial treatments, not only in Italy, but apparently also in foreign countries, such as the Netherlands." (Koene, Jitta. 2008)

What I like is that he shares publicly his protocols for various types of cancers

Cancer.org page also says that there is no evidence sodium bicarbonate therapy works (_http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/sodium-bicarbonate) but this is based on the fact that no peer- reviewed articles on this subject exist in medical journals.

In any case I am thinking if I had a cancer I would rather take bicarbonate of soda then chemo.

Re: Italian Oncologist claims he can cure cancer with baking soda

Hmm it seems I misspelled Simoncini's name when originally running the forum search. This treatment was already mentioned in many threads, if there is no merit for separate thread please delete.

Back
Top Bottom