Cancer: causes and cures

Re: Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: Thomas Seyfried

A couple of comments after reading through all of the excerpts:

1. It is easier to track and account for cellular pathology than it is for human pathology of the intraspecies kind. It would be interesting to know which individuals were primarily responsible for the promotion of genetic theories of cancer, as well as their ties to industry. Industry can profit hugely from a) avoiding the costs of preventing exposure of workers and consumers to carcinogenic materials and b) providing expensive "treatments" for the cancer thus produced. There is a strong potential incentive for individuals lacking conscience to do everything they can to skew the science.

2. Once again, an endorsement of calorie-restricted (CR) ketogenic diets (KD) appears. I believe that this idea is distinct from that of intermittent fasting. What bothers me most about what I have learned so far about CR KDs is the lack of awareness that the quality of food matters. One thing in particular seems to stand out: experimental KDs often include soybean oil. In non-human experiments it may be a pervasive component of the experimental diet. In human experiments it may be included as either an optional or required dietary component. This excerpt from TAASOLCP illustrates my concern.

Why Worry About Too Much Omega-6 PUFA?

Back in the day when Steve did his study with the bike racers on the ketogenic diet, they had to measure precisely how much of each nutrient his subjects were eating. That limited him to just five menu items from which his subjects could choose each day. Three of these were composed principally of animal fats and two used soybean oil mayonnaise as their fat source. Within a week or two of starting the high fat diet, most of the subjects developed a strong distaste for the mayonnaise-based meals. Opening a new container and then switching brands of mayonnaise didn’t help. Nobody actually got sick eating these tuna salad or chicken salad entrees – they just said that they didn’t feel completely well after eating them.

Out of curiosity, Steve put himself on a ketogenic diet for a month and fed himself most of his fat intake overnight via a tiny feeding tube in his stomach (so taste wasn’t an issue). Within 3 days of feeding himself 1500 Calories of either soybean or corn oil nightly, he developed quite prominent nausea and gastro-intestinal upset. However when he fed himself the same amount of calories as olive oil for two straight weeks, he had no such symptoms. In between testing these different oils via the feeding tube, Steve maintained nutritional ketosis and met his full calorie needs by eating mostly animal fats, again without symptoms.

The take-away message from this is that the human system doesn’t seem to tolerate a high fat diet prepared from high omega-6 oils (like soy and corn oils), but does just fine on one consisting mostly of monounsaturated and saturated fats (e.g., olive oil and animal fats)...

Phinney, Stephen; Jeff Volek (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (p. 74). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

The human system? What about laboratory mice? It's not like soy is a part of their natural diet, outside the laboratory!

Megan said:
however, a little more about what you personally learned and found of value from reading the book could be helpful.

I have had up close and personal experiences with cancer, the most recent was when my mother passed away from it a couple of years back. I have spent some time and energy trying to decipher what exactly was known about the origins of cancer as well as the current "state of the art" treatments. I have also had some personal experience of interacting with molecular biologists and geneticists who are making a living out of cancer research. I myself am a layperson in terms of biochemistry, genetics etc - but a lot of visceral realizations I had during my past efforts to understand cancer has been elucidated in this book - viz, the experts do not really know what they are talking about and making things so convoluted and complex that common man is only happy to run away and leave it "up to the experts".

What I have found of intellectual and practical value in the book is in the excerpts above. It does take effort to read this book. I had to go back and look up many terms in order to understand what the author is trying to say a little better and I have tried to embed the auxilliary information wherever appropriate in the excerpts. Emotionally, it was a relief to read a book from a scientist which spoke about things as they are while providing plausible alternative hypothesis regarding the origin and a path towards prevention and cure of a disease which takes a huge emotional, physical and financial toll on patients and their families.

Thank you, that does help. My mother also died from cancer, and I have survived it myself. One of my personal concerns is doing what I can within reason to avoid the secondary cancer that can result from the treatment and follow-up itself, 10 or 15 years later (which could, for me, mean "in 5 more years"). It is also one of the reasons I am so interested in ketogenic diet.

I will consider reading the book when I have cleared off some of my existing backlog of books to read. Who knows, maybe the price will have dropped by then.

Thanks again!

Megan said:
2. Once again, an endorsement of calorie-restricted (CR) ketogenic diets (KD) appears. I believe that this idea is distinct from that of intermittent fasting.

My current understanding is that the basic idea behind fasting and/or KD-R is to eat less and get low blood sugar and high blood ketone levels. Seyfried says that to get the body into ketosis, a therapeutic fast was found to be the quickest way for healthy subjects.

[quote author=Cancer as a Metabolic Disease]

I have recorded the blood glucose and ketone levels in several of my students who have voluntarily fasted for up to 6 days. The students were all healthy young adults (males and females) between 21 and 28 years of age. The students consumed only water or decaffeinated green tea during the fast. All students, both males and females, were able to bring their blood glucose and ketone levels into the therapeutic ranges within 3 days (Chapter 18). Most cancer patients should have a similar experience as long as they are not taking any interfering medications.

Glucose withdrawal symptoms were experienced by most of the students over the first couple of days, but these symptoms were transient and gradually subsided after 2 days. It is interesting that glucose withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, headache, nausea, etc.) are also seen in many persons following withdrawal from other addictive substances such as alcohol, tobacco, and drugs. Some of the students felt energetic after 5 days of fasting. They all learned that fasting is therapeutic and not harmful.

One of my graduate students, Julian Arthur, lowered his blood glucose to 39 mg/ dl by the third day of the fast. I asked Julian how he felt walking around with such low blood glucose levels. He said, “I feel fine, no problems.” Julian's blood ketones were also at 1.1 mmol, which would compensate for low glucose and prevent adverse effects of hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is a concern only for those individuals who lower glucose levels without also elevating their blood ketone levels. The gradual transition from glucose to ketone metabolism protects tissues from the effects of hypoglycemia. George Cahill and colleagues have documented these observations [52, 54, 55].

Another student, Ivan Urits, was unable to lower his glucose to the metabolic range despite 6 days of fasting and elevated ketone levels (2– 3 mmol). His glucose was reduced only to 68 mg/ dl during the fast. It turned out that Ivan was drinking caffeinated black coffee, rather than drinking only water during the fast. Caffeine can prevent glucose levels from entering the therapeutic zone necessary to target the energy metabolism of tumor cells. Herbert Shelton argues against coffee consumption during fasting [51]. It would be better to consume calorie-free decaffeinated beverages than caffeinated beverages.

I suggest that persons avoid caffeinated beverages if they plan to use the restricted ketogenic diet (KD-R) as an approach to prevent cancer. It will be up to each person to know what they can or cannot do to maintain their blood glucose within the therapeutic ranges.
[/quote]

Therapeutic levels of blood glucose is considered to be in the 55-65mg/dL range and blood ketone is in the range of 3-5 mmol. Seyfried thinks that at these levels, autophagy and autolytic cannibalism sets in purging the body of diseased cells.

The take away message from all this for me was to eat a ketogenic diet in restricted amounts accompanied by occasional fasts in order to get benefits . While the official KD is not what we consider to be healthy, the fundamental idea that blood glucose levels need to be low regardless of what one is eating still holds true to purge the body of weak and diseased cells. The process of gluconeogenesis generates glucose from available protein and fat even with low carb diets - so eating just enough to meet energy needs makes sense for keeping low blood glucose levels.

obyvatel said:
Therapeutic levels of blood glucose is considered to be in the 55-65mg/dL range and blood ketone is in the range of 3-5 mmol. Seyfried thinks that at these levels, autophagy and autolytic cannibalism sets in purging the body of diseased cells.

The take away message from all this for me was to eat a ketogenic diet in restricted amounts accompanied by occasional fasts in order to get benefits . While the official KD is not what we consider to be healthy, the fundamental idea that blood glucose levels need to be low regardless of what one is eating still holds true to purge the body of weak and diseased cells. The process of gluconeogenesis generates glucose from available protein and fat even with low carb diets - so eating just enough to meet energy needs makes sense for keeping low blood glucose levels.

Phinney & Volek talk about a 0.5 to 3 mmol. range for optimum "athletic" ketosis, achieved with ~50 g/day of carbs. I see now that maintaining my carbs closer to this limit kept me out of the "therapeutic" zone, and I have had to readapt to lower levels in spite of staying under what appears to be my limit for ketogenesis. In other words, there is KD and then there is KD. Not all the same.

Therapeutic ketosis and weight loss may be conflicting goals. I am still trying to sort that one out. One of the reasons I had my carb levels so high is that it seemed to help with weight loss. More experimentation is required.

Kickstarting a KD with fasting makes sense to me. Sustained CR KD treatment protocols or experiments don't, and yet I have come across them in some of the literature.

Interestingly, Phinney & Volek refer to the 3-5 mol. range as the "starvation ketosis" range. I am not sure why. They do mention, however, that very low blood glucose levels are possible when ketone levels are high.

Factoid: Many decades ago in a provocative experiment to demonstrate the human brain’s ability to function well on ketones, some scientists in Boston keto-adapted 3 obese humans with a month of total starvation. With their BOHB levels around 5 millimolar, they slowly infused insulin into their blood stream over hours until the subjects’ blood glucose levels dropped to the point that they should have lapsed into a coma (1.5 millimolar, or less than 30 mg/dl). At that point, their BOHB levels were slightly reduced to 4 millimolar, and not only did they stay awake, these subjects had none of the typical symptoms of hypoglycemia[20].

Phinney, Stephen; Jeff Volek (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (pp. 31-32). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

Don't try this at home.

Maybe you could put all this together in a short article/review/series of quotes for SOTT to publish and we could then share it on FB?? Very important material.

obyvatel said:
Seyfried has slightly modified the above hypothesis put forward by Warburg by including the fermentation of amino acids (glutamine in particular) by mitochondria of cancerous cells as an additional energy producing mechanism along with fermentation of glucose.

I once read that aminos will fuel cancerous cells in the brain, but never thought that glutamine which is so recommended to heal the gut could be so detrimental within this context.

Wow, this book synopsis puts a whole new meaning on how mainstream cancer treatments are geared to precisely not heal cancer by further contributing with mitochondrial dysfunction. Not only through radiation and toxic chemotherapy, but also a person with cancer will have a natural instinct to not eat, perhaps like an instinct to attempt to heal with caloric restriction. Then, everybody tries to force feed cancer patients.

The thing of ketones in urine was the same point that Volek and Phinney brought in "Art of Low Carb". They may appear initially in the urine, but later they disappear as the body starts using all the ketones up and less and less are eliminated in the urine. Blood tests are the ideal thing to measure ketones, but they are expensive.

FWIW, here is a basic introduction to biochemistry and the importance of ketosis in mitochondrial dysfunction: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28799.msg365107.html#msg365107

And a free full text article on carbohydrate restriction in the treatment and prevention of cancer:

Is there a role for carbohydrate restriction in the treatment and prevention of cancer?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3267662/

It underlines the importance of how carbs are so evil:

Possible causes for the "Warburg effect"

Over the past years, however, it has become increasingly clear that malignant cells compensate for this energy deficit by up-regulating the expression of key glycolytic enzymes as well as the glucose transporters GLUT1 and GLUT3, which have a high affinity for glucose and ensure high glycolytic flux even for low extracellular glucose concentrations. This characteristic is the basis for the wide-spread use of the functional imaging modality positron emission tomography (PET) with the glucose-analogue tracer 18F-fluoro-2-deoxyD-glucose (FDG) (Figure ​(Figure1).1). There are mainly four possible drivers discussed in the literature that cause the metabolic switch from oxidative phosphorylation to aerobic glycolysis in cancer cells. The first one is mitochondrial damage or dysfunction [40], which was already proposed by Warburg himself as the cause for tumorigenesis [41]. Somatic mutations in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and certain OXPHOS genes can lead to increased production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and accumulation of TCA cycle intermediates (succinate and fumarate) that trigger the stabilization of hypoxia inducible factor (HIF)-1α, inactivation of tumor suppressors including p53 and PTEN and upregulation of several oncogenes of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K)/Akt/mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling pathway [42]. In tumor cells, Akt plays a major role in resisting apoptosis and promoting proliferation, and it does so by reprogramming tumor cell metabolism [43-45]. Akt suppresses β-oxidation of fatty acids [46], but enhances de novo lipid synthesis in the cytosol [47,48]. Akt also activates mTOR, a key regulator of cell growth and proliferation that integrates signaling from insulin and growth factors, amino acid availability, cellular energy status and oxygen levels [49,50]. In cancer cells, mTOR has been shown to induce aerobic glycolysis by up-regulating key glycolytic enzymes, in particular through its downstream effectors c-Myc and HIF-1α. Both of these transcription factors are involved in the expression of pyruvate kinase M2, a crucial glycolytic enzyme for rapidly proliferating cells [51].

[...]The observation that certain malignant cells are able to use both glycolysis and OXPHOS under aerobic conditions has been taken to argue that mitochondrial dysfunction alone is not a sufficient cause for the Warburg effect [53]. Indeed, somatic mutations in most oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes have been shown to directly or indirectly activate glycolysis even in the presence of oxygen. As described above, they do so mainly by hyperactivating major metabolic signaling pathways such as the insulin-like growth facor-1 receptor (IGFR1)-insulin receptor (IR)/PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway (Figure ​(Figure2).2). In principle, hyperactivation of this pathway can occur at several points from alterations in either upstream (receptor) or downstream (transducer) proteins and/or disruption of negative feedback loops via loss-of-function mutations in suppressor genes [44,45,54]. Thus, genetic alterations in oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes are a second possible cause for the Warburg effect.

But again, we are not talking about genes that causes cancer, we are talking about a diet rich in carbs which causes epigenetic changes that activates pathways that lead to cancer and less longevity, plus the environmental toxicity...

The impact of insulin and IGF1

Finally, chronic activation of the IGFR1-IR/PI3K/Akt survival pathway through high blood glucose, insulin and inflammatory cytokines has been proposed as a cause of carcinogenesis [30,58,59] and switch towards aerobic glycolysis. In this theory, hyperactivation of the IGFR1-IR signalling pathway does not occur primarily through somatic gene mutations, but rather through elevated concentrations of insulin and IGF1, allowing for more ligands binding to their receptors. Interestingly, gain-of-function mutations resulting in ligand-independent overactivation of both IGFR1 and IR are uncommon [60]. Furthermore, loss-of-function of the tumor suppressor PTEN may result in hypersensitivity to insulin/IGF1-mediated activation of the IGFR1-IR pathway rather than constitutive downstream activation [60]. Thus, it seems possible that high levels of insulin and IGF1 in the microenvironment favor cell survival and evolution towards malignancy instead of apoptosis in DNA-damaged cells. Indeed, both hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia are predictors of cancer occurrence and cancer-related mortality [23,25,26]. This highlights the link between the metabolic syndrome and cancer on the one hand and cancer and lifestyle factors like nutrition on the other. As indicated in Figure ​Figure2,2, restriction of dietary CHOs would counteract this signalling cascade by normalizing glucose and insulin levels in subjects with metabolic syndrome, in this way acting similar to calorie restriction/fasting [61,62]. Indeed, it has been shown in healthy subjects that CHO restriction induces hormonal and metabolic adaptions very similar to fasting [63-66]. Dietary restriction is able to inhibit mTOR signalling through a second, energy-sensing pathway by stimulating phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) [67]. In vitro, AMPK phosphorylation is sensitive to the ratio of AMP/ATP within the cell; in vivo, however, concentrations of glucose and other nutrients are kept fairly stable throughout calorie restriction, suggesting that hormones such as insulin and glucagon might play a more dominant role in regulating AMPK and thus mTOR activation [60]. This may open a second route to mimic the positive effects of calorie restriction through CHO restriction (Figure ​(Figure22).

Indirect effects of glucose availability

Besides delivering more glucose to the tumor tissue, hyperglycemia has two other important negative effects for the host: First, as pointed out by Ely and Krone, even modest blood glucose elevations as they typically occur after a Western diet meal competitively impair the transport of ascorbic acid into immune cells [88,91]. Ascorbic acid is needed for effective phagocytosis and mitosis, so that the immune response to malignant cells is diminished. Second, it has been shown in vitro and in vivo that hyperglycemia activates monocytes and macrophages to produce inflammatory cytokines that play an important role also for the progression of cancer [92-94] (see below). Third, high plasma glucose concentrations elevate the levels of circulating insulin and free IGF1, two potent anti-apoptotic and growth factors for most cancer cells [60]. Free IGF1 is elevated due to a decreased transcription of IGF binding protein (IGFBP)-1 in the liver mediated by insulin [95]. Due to expression of GLUT2, the β-cells of the pancreas are very sensitive to blood glucose concentration and steeply increase their insulin secretion when the latter exceeds the normal level of ~5 mM. In the typical Western diet consisting of three meals a day (plus the occasional CHO-rich snacks and drinks), this implies that insulin levels are elevated above the fasting baseline over most of the day. Both insulin and IGF1 activate the PI3K/Akt/mTOR/HIF-1α pathway by binding to the IGF1 receptor (IGF1R) and insulin receptor (IR), respectively (Figure ​(Figure2).2). In addition, insulin stimulates the release of the pro-inflammatory cytokine interleukin (IL)-6 from human adipocytes [96]. Thus, it could be hypothesized that a diet which repeatedly elevates blood glucose levels due to a high GL provides additional growth stimuli for neoplastic cells. In this respect, Venkateswaran et al. have shown in a xenograft model of human prostate cancer that a diet high in CHO stimulated the expression of IRs and phosphorylation of Akt in tumor tissue compared to a low CHO diet [97]. In colorectal [27], prostate [24] and early stage breast cancer patients [23,98] high insulin and low IGFBP-1 levels have been associated with poor prognosis. These findings again underline the importance of controlling blood sugar and hence insulin levels in cancer patients. Dietary restriction and/or a reduced CHO intake are straightforward strategies to achieve this goal.

Altered nutritional needs of cancer patients

Cancer patients and those with metabolic syndrome share common pathological abnormalities. Since 1885, when Ernst Freund described signs of hyperglycemia in 70 out of 70 cancer patients [99], it has been repeatedly reported that glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity are diminished in cancer patients even before signs of cachexia (weight loss) become evident [100-102]. Both diabetes and cancer are characterized by a common pathophysiological state of chronic inflammatory signalling and associated insulin resistance. In cancer patients, insulin resistance is thought to be mediated by an acute phase response that is triggered by pro-inflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α [101] and IL-6 [103]. In animal and human studies, removal of the tumor resulted in improved glucose clearance, suggesting that these cytokines are secreted, at least in part, from the tumor tissue itself [104,105]. The impact on the metabolism of the host is illustrated in Figure ​Figure3.3. In the liver, the inflammatory process leads to increased gluconeogenesis that is fuelled by lactate secreted from the tumor as well as glycerol from fatty acid breakdown and the amino acid alanine [106] from muscle proteolysis. Gluconeogenesis is an energy-consuming process and might contribute to cancer cachexia by increasing total energy expenditure. Despite increased lipolysis, hepatic production of ketone bodies is usually not enhanced in cancer patients [107,108]. This is in contrast to starvation, where the ketone bodies acetoacetate and β-hydroxybutyrate counteract proteolysis by providing energy for the brain and muscles [109]. In muscle, glucose uptake and glycogen synthesis are inhibited already at early stages of tumor progression, while fatty acid oxidation remains at normal levels or is increased [110,111]. In the latter case, more fat has to be provided from lipolysis in the adipose tissue. In addition, muscles progressively lose protein to provide amino acids for hepatic synthesis of acute-phase proteins and as precursors for gluconeogenesis. Thus, insulin resistance contributes to fat loss and muscle wasting, the two hallmarks of cancer cachexia. At the same time, it makes more glucose in the blood available for tumor cells.

Fat and ketone bodies: anti-cachectic effects

It therefore seems reasonable to assume that dietary carbohydrates mainly fuel malignant cells which express the insulin-independent glucose transporters GLUT1 and GLUT3, while muscle cells are more likely to benefit from an increased fat and protein intake. This was summarized as early as in 1977 by C. Young, who stated that lipid sources predominate the fuel utilization of peripheral tissue of patients with neoplastic disease compared to healthy subjects [112]. In addition, most malignant cells lack key mitochondrial enzymes necessary for conversion of ketone bodies and fatty acids to ATP [40,113,114], while myocytes retain this ability even in the cachectic state [107]. This led some authors to propose a high-fat, ketogenic diet (KD) as a strategy to selectively improve body composition of the host at the expense of the tumor [113,115,116]. The traditional KDs, which recommended protein and CHO to account, in combination, for roughly 20 E% (in the incorrect assumption that they were equivalent due to gluconeogenesis) and fat for the remaining 80 E%, have been widely used to treat childhood epilepsia since the 1920s [117]. KDs are also used to treat adiposity [118] and currently adult epilepsy [119]. In the 1980s, Tisdale and colleagues investigated the effects of a ketogenic diet consisting mainly of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) on two aggressive animal tumor models that were known to lack the ability to utilize ketone bodies. While the diet had no effect on rats bearing the Walker 256 sarcoma [120], it decreased the cachectic weight loss in proportion to its fat content in mice bearing the mouse-specific colon carcinoma MAC16 [121]. For the latter, they further proved an anti-cachectic effect of a ketogenic diet in which the MCTs were replaced with long chain triglycerides (LCTs), although to a somewhat lesser extent [122]. Contrary to LCTs, MCTs do not require transport in chylomicrones, but readily reach the liver where they are metabolized to yield high amounts of ketone bodies. Interestingly, administration of insulin was able to reduce the weight loss similar to the ketogenic MCT diet, but at the expense of a 50% increase in tumor size, which could be counteracted by addition of β-hydroxybutyrate in the drinking water [123]. The supporting effect of insulin on tumor growth has been known since 1924, when Händel and Tadenuma described the nourishing effect of insulin on tumor tissue in an animal model [124], showing evidence that reducing insulin might reduce tumor growth.

The benefits of mild ketosis

The study of Breitkreuz et al. shows that ketosis might not be necessary to improve the cachectic state of cancer patients. In recent years, however, more evidence has emerged from both animal and laboratory studies indicating that cancer patients could benefit further from a very low CHO KD. In their mouse models, Tisdale et al. already noted that the KD not only attenuated the cachectic effects of the tumor, but also that the tumors grew more slowly (although they did not attribute this to a direct anti-tumor effect of β-hydroxybutyrate). Tumor growth inhibition through a KD has now been established in many animal models, is supported by a few clinical case reports, and laboratory studies have begun to reveal the underlying molecular mechanisms.

In vitro studies

More than 30 years ago, Magee et al. were the first to show that treating transformed cells with various, albeit supra-physiological, concentrations of β-hydroxybutyrate causes a dose-dependent and reversible inhibition of cell proliferation [116]. Their interpretation of the results that ''...ketone bodies interfere with either glucose entry or glucose metabolism...'' has been confirmed and further specified by Fine et al., who connected the inhibition of glycolysis in the presence of abundant ketone bodies to the overexpression of uncoupling protein-2 (UCP-2), a mitochondrial defect occurring in many tumor cells [127]. In normal cells, abundant acetyl-CoA and citrate from the breakdown of fatty acids and ketone bodies would inhibit key enzymes of glycolysis to ensure stable ATP levels; in tumor cells, however, the same phenomenon would imply a decrease in ATP production if the compensatory ATP production in the mitochondria was impaired. For several colon and breast cancer cell lines, Fine et al. showed that the amount of ATP loss under treatment with acetoacetate was related to the level of UCP-2 expression.

Very recently, Maurer et al. demonstrated that glioma cells - although not negatively influenced by β-hydroxybutyrate - are not able to use this ketone body as a substitute for glucose when starved of the latter, contrary to benign neuronal cells [128]. This supports the hypothesis that under low glucose concentrations, ketone bodies could serve benign cells as a substitute for metabolic demands while offering no such benefit to malign cells.

Animal studies

To our knowledge, the first and - with a total of 303 rats and nine experiments - most extensive study of a KD in animals was conducted by van Ness van Alstyne and Beebe in 1913 [129]. Experiments were divided into two classes: in the first class, rats in the treatment arm were fed a CHO-free diet consisting of casein and lard for several weeks before plantation of a Buffalo sarcoma, while the control arm received either bread only or casein, lard and lactose. Rats on the CHO-free diet not only gained more weight than the controls, but also exhibited much less tumor growth and mortality rates, the differences being "... so striking as to leave no room for doubt that the diet was an important factor in enabling the rats to resist the tumor after growth had started." [and they used casein!] In a second class of experiments using either the slow-growing Jensen sarcoma or the aggressive Buffalo sarcoma, the rats were put on the CHO-free diet on the same day that the tumor was planted. This time, differences between the treatment and control groups were "... so slight that ... one is left in no doubt of the ineffectiveness of non-carbohydrate feeding begun at the time of tumor implantation." Interestingly, this parallels the observation of Fearon et al. that rats who started to receive a KD at the same day as tumor transplantation did not differ from controls in either body or tumor weight after 14 d [120]. In these rats, it was noted that despite persistent ketosis, blood glucose levels were not significantly lower than in controls which were also fed ad libitum. This stability of blood glucose, independent of ketosis, was subsequently confirmed in studies in which mice were fed ad libitum on a KD [84,114,121-123,130] although two studies reported a drop in blood glucose concentrations compared with the control group [116,131]. In the study of Magee et al., however, diet was presented as a liquid vegetable oil and energy intake was not monitored, allowing for the possibility that the animals underate voluntarily, in this way consuming a "caloric restricted KD" used in several experimental settings from the Seyfried lab [84,114,132], which was shown therein to be superior to the unrestricted KD in tumor growth control. That "caloric restriction" per se can hamper tumor growth has been impressively demonstrated already in 1942 by A. Tannenbaum in a series of comprehensive mouse models with different mouse strains and tumor induction types [133]. Throughout all experimental series, a strict restriction of food intake (impeding weight gain) several weeks before inducing tumorigenesis by application of 3,4 benzpyrene decreased the appearance rate and appearance time of tumors in the diet mice compared to the ad libitum controls. Notably, the calorie-restricted diet was composed of 53% CHOs compared to 69% in the control group. Despite a lack of data on blood glucose and ketone body levels, it could be speculated that the strict restriction of food per se (to 50-60% of the control group) induced a ketotic state and thus the ketones were - at least to some extend - responsible for the effects observed.

Animal studies that have investigated the effects of a KD on tumor progression and host survival

Concerning fat quality, Freedland et al. observed that a diet rich in corn oil might stimulate prostate cancer growth to a greater extent than one rich in saturated fat [134].A recent study suggests, however, that tumor growth inhibition neither depends on fat quality nor ketone body levels[131]. In this case, mice injected with either murine squamous cell carcinoma or human colorectal carcinoma cells received a low CHO, high-protein diet in which ~ 60 E% was derived from protein, 10-15 E% from CHO and ~ 25 E% from fat. No systemic ketosis was measured, yet tumors grew significantly less compared with a standard diet containing 55 E% from CHO and 22 E% from the same fat source. IGF1 levels and body weight remained stable, so these findings could not be attributed to one of these factors. There was, however, a significant drop in blood glucose, insulin and lactate levels, and a positive correlation between blood lactate as well as insulin levels and tumor growth was found. The study of Venkateskwaran et al. indicates that in prostate cancer insulin and/or IGF1 play major roles in driving tumor cell proliferation [97].

The diversity of these findings should not be surprising, given the variety of mice strains, tumor cell lines, diet composition and time of diet initiation relative to tumor planting. Instead, it seems remarkable that the same basic treatment, namely drastic restriction of CHOs, apparently induces anti-tumoral effects via different pathways. Thus, it may depend on the circumstances which variables - including blood glucose, insulin, lactate, IGF1, fat quality and ketone bodies - are the best predictors of and responsible for the anti-tumor effects of very low CHO diets.

Human studies

Until now, no randomized controlled trials have been conducted to evaluate the effects of a KD on tumor growth and patient survival. It has to be noted in general, however, that any dietary intervention requiring a dramatic change of life style makes randomized studies nearly impossible - however, even prospective cohort studies are missing. There is only anecdotal evidence that such a diet might be effective as a supportive treatment. One study investigated whether a high-fat diet (80% non-nitrogenous calories from fat) would inhibit tumor cell replication compared to a high-dextrose diet (100% non-nitrogenous calories from dextrose) in 27 patients with gastro-intestinal cancers [137]. Diets were administered parenterally and cell proliferation assessed using thymidine labeling index on tumor samples. After 14 days, the authors found a non-significant trend for impaired proliferation in the high-fat group. Whether ketosis was achieved with this regime was not evaluated, but blood glucose levels were comparable in both trial groups. A very recent pilot trial demonstrated the feasibility of a low CHO up to a ketogenic regimen implemented for 12 weeks in very advanced outpatient cancer patients. Notably, severe side effects were not observed, nearly all standard blood parameters improved and some measures of quality of life changed for the better [138]. The first attempt to treat cancer patients with a long-term controlled KD was reported by L. Nebeling in 1995 for two pediatric patients with astrocytoma [139]. The results of those two cases were very encouraging and the diet was described in detail in another publication [140]. Implementing a KD with additional calorie restriction in a female patient with glioblastoma multiforme clearly demonstrated that this intervention was able to stop tumor growth [132]. This was achieved, however, on the expense of a dramatic weigh loss of 20% over the intervention period, which is no option for the majority of metastatic cancer patients being in a catabolic state. A first clinical study applying a non-restricted KD for patients with glioblastoma (ERGO-study, NHI registration number NCT00575146), which was presented at the 2010 ASCO meeting [141], showed good feasibility and suggested some anti-tumor activity. The protocol of another clinical interventional trial (RECHARGE trial, NCT00444054) treating patients with metastatic cancer by a very low CHO diet was published in 2008 [142], and preliminary data from this study presented at the 2011 ASCO-meeting showed a clear correlation between disease stability or partial remission and high ketosis, independent of weight loss and unconscious caloric restriction of the patients [136]. While a randomized study for the treatment of prostate cancer patents applying the Atkins diet (NCT00932672) is currently recruiting patients at the Duke University, another trial posted at the clinical trials database (ClinicalTrials.gov) is not yet open for recruitment (NCT01092247). Very recently, two Phase I studies applying a ketogenic diet based on KetoCal® 4:1 started recruitment at the University of Iowa, intended to treat prostate cancer patients (KETOPAN, NCT01419483) and non-small cell lung cancer (KETOLUNG, NCT01419587). Thus, in the future, several data should be available to judge whether this kind of nutrition is useful as either a supportive or even therapeutic treatment option for cancer patients.

Is there a role for carbohydrate restriction in the prevention of cancer?

"Prevention of cancer" can refer to either the inhibition of carcinogenesis per se or - once that cells made the transition to malignancy - the sufficient delay of tumor growth, so that it remains undetected and asymptomatic during a subject's lifespan. There is evidence that even modest CHO restriction may influence both of these mechanisms positively through various pathways. The IGF1R-IR pathway has already been discussed: once a potentially carcinogenic somatic mutation has occurred, the probability for carcinogenesis of a cell that is borderline between apoptosis and malignancy might be raised by high levels of insulin and IGF1 in the micro-environment. Once a cell became malignant, high insulin and IGF1 levels might accelerate proliferation and progression towards a more aggressive, glycolytic phenotype. In rats treated with the carcinogen N-methyl-N-nitrosourea, it has been shown that lowering the CHO content of the diet from 60 E% to 40 E% with a simultaneous increase in protein was sufficient to lower postprandial insulin levels as well as decrease the appearance rate of tumors from (18.2 ± 1.3)%/wk to (12.9 ± 1.4)%/wk (p < 0.05), however with no statistically significant effect on tumor latency and weight measured after 10 wk [143]. Similarly, a recent study reported that NOP mice, which normally have a 70 - 80% chance of developing breast cancer over their lifetime due to genetic mutations, stayed tumor-free at 1 year of age when their calories from CHO were limited to 15%, while almost half of those on a 55% CHO diet developed tumors [131]. Notably, only 3 out of 11 mice in the 15% CHO group died with having a tumor compared to 7 out of 10 in the 55% CHO group; at death, significantly lower plasma insulin levels had been measured for the low CHO group. These results support the epidemiological [25,29,31,32] and in vitro [81,144] findings that high CHO diets, in particular those including high GI foods, promote mammary tumorigenesis via the sustained action of insulin.

Lower insulin levels may further increase the chance of intermittent ketosis, in particular if CHO restriction is combined with exercise, calorie restriction or intermittent fasting. Seyfried and Shelton [40] pointed out the possibility of ketone bodies to help in cancer prevention through their ability to protect the mitochondria from inflammation and ROS. Being more satiating than low-fat diets [145,146], a low CHO diet would make it easier to avoid caloric overconsumption or to implement intermittent fasting as an additional lifestyle change [147].

Avoidance of chronic inflammation

Another potential benefit of low CHO diets might lie in their influence upon inflammatory processes that take place within various tissues. Inflammation is a well-established driver of early tumorigenesis and accompanies most, if not all cancers [148]. Chronic, 'smouldering' inflammation can both cause and develop along with neoplasia. There is evidence that chronic intake of easily digestible CHOs is able to promote such an inflammatory state in leukocytes and endothelial cells [94]. In obese individuals [149] and healthy subjects who underwent eccentric exercise training [150], the inflammatory state was further augmented postprandially through a high CHO intake, but not through high-fat, low CHO meals in the latter study. Maybe more importantly, even moderate CHO restriction has been shown to effectively target several important markers of atherosclerosis and type II diabetes, both of which are associated with chronic inflammation [151-157]. Forsythe et al. showed that in overweight individuals with dyslipidemia a very low CHO diet had a more favorable effect than a low fat diet in reducing several markers of inflammation [158]. Given these findings, it can be hypothesized that a diet with a low GL positively affects cancer risk through reducing postprandial hyperglycemia and the associated inflammatory response.

In this context, it is important to note that a low CHO diet offers further possibilities to target inflammation through omission or inclusion of certain foods. Usually, CHO restriction is not only limited to avoiding sugar and other high-GI foods, but also to a reduced intake of grains. Grains can induce inflammation in susceptible individuals due to their content of omega-6 fatty acids, lectins and gluten [159,160]. In particular gluten might play a key role in the pathogenesis of auto-immune and inflammatory disorders and some malignant diseases. In the small intestine, gluten triggers the release of zonulin, a protein that regulates the tight junctions between epithelial cells and therefore intestinal, but also blood-brain barrier function. Recent evidence suggests that overstimulation of zonulin in susceptible individuals could dysregulate intercellular communication promoting tumorigenesis at specific organ sites [161].

Paleolithic-type diets, that by definition exclude grain products, have been shown to improve glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors more effectively than typically recommended low-fat diets rich in whole grains [162]. These diets are not necessarily very low CHO diets, but focus on replacing high-GI modern foods with fruits and vegetables, in this way reducing the total GL. This brings us back to our initial perception of cancer as a disease of civilization that has been rare among hunter-gatherer societies until they adopted the Western lifestyle. Although there are certainly many factors contributing to this phenomenon, the evidence presented in this review suggests that reduction of the high CHO intake that accounts for typically > 50 E% in the Western diet may play its own important role in cancer prevention and outcome.

Conclusions

We summarize our main findings from the literature regarding the role of dietary CHO restriction in cancer development and outcome.

(i) Most, if not all, tumor cells have a high demand on glucose compared to benign cells of the same tissue and conduct glycolysis even in the presence of oxygen (the Warburg effect). In addition, many cancer cells express insulin receptors (IRs) and show hyperactivation of the IGF1R-IR pathway. Evidence exists that chronically elevated blood glucose, insulin and IGF1 levels facilitate tumorigenesis and worsen the outcome in cancer patients.

(ii) The involvement of the glucose-insulin axis may also explain the association of the metabolic syndrome with an increased risk for several cancers. CHO restriction has already been shown to exert favorable effects in patients with the metabolic syndrome. Epidemiological and anthropological studies indicate that restricting dietary CHOs could be beneficial in decreasing cancer risk.

(iii) Many cancer patients, in particular those with advanced stages of the disease, exhibit altered whole-body metabolism marked by increased plasma levels of inflammatory molecules, impaired glycogen synthesis, increased proteolysis and increased fat utilization in muscle tissue, increased lipolysis in adipose tissue and increased gluconeogenesis by the liver. High fat, low CHO diets aim at accounting for these metabolic alterations. Studies conducted so far have shown that such diets are safe and likely beneficial, in particular for advanced stage cancer patients.

(iv) CHO restriction mimics the metabolic state of calorie restriction or - in the case of KDs - fasting. The beneficial effects of calorie restriction and fasting on cancer risk and progression are well established. CHO restriction thus opens the possibility to target the same underlying mechanisms without the side-effects of hunger and weight loss.

(v) Some laboratory studies indicate a direct anti-tumor potential of ketone bodies. During the past years, a multitude of mouse studies indeed proved anti-tumor effects of KDs for various tumor types, and a few case reports and pre-clinical studies obtained promising results in cancer patients as well. Several registered clinical trials are going to investigate the case for a KD as a supportive therapeutic option in oncology.

Laura said:
Maybe you could put all this together in a short article/review/series of quotes for SOTT to publish and we could then share it on FB?? Very important material.

Will give it a shot.

Re: C is for Cancer

Just a heads up that Sean Croxton host of the Paleo Summit and Real food Summits, both of which were mentioned in the Ketogenic Diet and Life without Bread threads, is now hosting the Healing Cancer World Summit starting on the 31st of October.

I have enjoyed both his previous summits. True, some guests are misinformed or uninformed, but I have mostly found the summits useful, both by consolidating material already researched here, as well as shedding a light on a few things I wasn't aware of.

Because they're audio I've found them to be a good complement for reading, specially when I'm doing things that make me bored like longer periods of cleaning the house. They have actually turned a cleaning hour into something enjoyable :)
I don't know how this one will turn out though. I plan to listen to it and will report back on what I found.

Link here: _https://s3.amazonaws.com/cancerworldsummit.com/index-launch-day.html

An excerpt from the page:

Now for 5 Nights, You Can Learn the Secrets I Learned from These Visionary Cancer Doctors and Advocates for FREE!

If you want to learn more about what I've learned in my own exploration of natural or integrative cancer treatment, I want to invite you to a special free online event, where you can listen (at home, no travel needed) to the stories of these amazing people as they share the natural cancer treatments that are working in their clinics around the world.

Each expert will explain specifically the ways to prevent cancer naturally and the treatments they use when they work with cancer patients. This is not theory. I've specifically selected people who are working in clinics and researching cutting edge scientific documents to determine what really works.

This event is FREE, because I wanted to give back to you. It's my hope that this information spreads so that other families don't have to go through what ours did.

In this unique program you'll Also discover...

The therapies these doctors and experts are using that they say can prevent and even treat cancers naturally.
The cancer fighting herbs and supplements that are scientifically known to prevent cancer - many of which you can buy in your local supermarket (no matter where you live!)
Scientific and documented proof that natural cancer treatments work and why.
Learn how to detoxify and cleanse the body naturally... and safely.
Why many people have no idea these treatments exist and why these doctors are risking their careers to do help people heal.
Amazing stories of patients who have been healed naturally and are still thriving today.
How - in some cases - drugs, chemotherapy, surgery and radiation can cause side effects that may be worse than the cancer itself.
Simple and affordable ways to prevent cancer and many other diseases using natural, tested methods.
And much more!

I think that a keto diet combined with stress management techniques such as EE can likely go a long way in cancer prevention. In any case, right now the rates of cancer have gone through the roof, which begs a continuous research for what is already there and keep looking for cures.

Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery - CBN.com

Found this video today posted by others on facebook and thought I would share here on the forum as I haven't seen the KD covered in any MSM outlet, so needless to say I was quite surprised and pleased.
I also didn't see it as I searched the entire forum for the links and the title.

Here's the link: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxhNMzIzs3M

I immediately shared it as well on fb, as more people might actually pay attention to it, since it's a professional TV report.

Re: Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery - CBN.com

Just realized what CBN stands for...Christian Broadcasting Network...not sure what to make of that. oh, well...fwiw.

And I just checked their other videos....They have some..typical Christian videos also...I guess that's why more people were favoring this link posted by Ketotherapeutics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLClqy5CbTQ

obyvatel said:
Prevention/Management/Healing of Cancer

There are no oncology drugs known to my knowledge that can simultaneously target inflammation and angiogenesis, while, at the same time, killing tumor cells through an apoptotic mechanism.
[/quote]

About that, I wonder why Prof. Seyfried doesn't mention DCA (dichloroacetate) whose anticancer discovery by Univ. of Alberta dates by 2007 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1535610806003722#sec1). No complete DCA clinical trials have been conducted but they're missing also
for KD diet. DCA seems to reactivate mitochondria, induce apoptosis of cancer cells and inhibit angiogenesis ("Mitochondrial activation by inhibition of PDKII suppresses HIF1a signaling and angiogenesis in cancer" , http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/onc2012198a.html ).

For more info:
http://www.chrcrm.org/en/rotm/dr-evangelos-michelakis
http://www.thedcasite.com/the_dca_papers.html

Mod edit: fixed quotes

Hi Danilo,
Welcome to the forum. We encourage new members to write an introduction telling us a little about themselves and how they found the forum in the newbies board . You can look at intro posts made by others in that board to see how others have done it.

Regarding DCA, Dr Seyfried does mention it in the book and cites the work of Dr Michelakis. He groups DCA along with others like 3-BP (bromopyruvate) as "small molecules that target aerobic glycolysis" under consideration for novel tumor therapy. In page 331 discussing the prospect of synergistic working of energy restricted ketogenic diet (KD-R) and anti-cancer drugs, he writes

I think 3-BP and possibly dichloroacetate could be even more effective cancer therapies if combined with KD-R.
The administration of antiglycolytic drugs together with energy restricted diets could act as a powerful double "metabolic punch" for the rapid killing of glycolysis dependent tumor cells.
[/quote]

In his model, Dr Seyfried discusses that along with glycolysis and glucose, some types of cancer cells feed on glutamine and for such cases anti-glycoltic drugs alone are not effective therapeutically. For such cases, he provides experimental results using DON, a glutamine antagonist in addition to dietary therapies.

Thanks very much also for adding info about DCA in Dr Seyfried's Book.
I believe DCA anticancer discovery was very important but, since it can not be patentable, no clinical trials have been conducted. That raises of course
a lot of questions about how our society may progress against cancer.

Back
Top Bottom