Candida- The Silent Epidemic

You're right Hildegarda, ThreeLac or other probiotics is not a permanent cure.

From my research and experience, there is not a "permanant cure" for candidiasis. Sorry. However, the closest you can come to a permanent cure would be the following: First get it under control--either using fungus killers, (i.e. prescriptions: Diflucan, Nystatin) or natural killers, garlic, grapeseed oil, Caprolic Acid etc.; using probiotics; using digestive enzymes; and instituting a "candida free" diet; and or/a combination of all these things. Once you get the candida under control, the diet becomes extremely important for making this anywhere close to a "permanent cure". That is, only if you stick to this regimented diet for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, with no expections as far as food that feeds the candida or a course of antibiotics, will this be permanant, or thereabouts.

Candida is a natural part of our bodies, so they tell me. It is part of the rich flora in our digestive tracts and is basically impossible to get rid of. The problem with candida is when is gets over-fed, healthy bacteria gets underfed (or killed in the case of antibiotics) or general stress--either from illness or emotions--whacks out your immune system. Candidiasis (notice the distinction between candida and candidiasis) is an out-of-balance-disease. At the point where a person has candidiasis, their diet and health lifestyle has caused the naturally occurring, and harmless fungus get out of balance.

Personally, I'm not very receptive to being on the "candida diet" for the rest of my life. I like the idea of getting this thing under control, and moving on--living my life without contstantly reminding myself that I'm on a restricted diet and contstantly thinking about it--oohh, I've got to take this pill, drink that, fix this special meal.....! I'm so "over it" and glad I found my personal cure--even though it's not a "permanant cure". I'm not sure I know of any "permanant cures" for any of our ailments. Sure would like to though.

Kel said:
I've suffered with candida off and on for over 20 years, and thus have researched this issue thoroughly. I've tried EVERY and I DO mean EVERY form of treatment for it. And they all do and have worked to one extent or another. But I would like to share with those interested my experience of what has worked the best.

By far the easiest/simplest way I have found to keep the Candida in check is with probiotics. About 2.5 years ago, I was once again doing the research (because of a flare-up) and decided that I would just try an extended course of probiotics. The probiotics I used were specific for targeting candida. I used ThreeLac and you can find out more about it here: _http://www.candidaproductsreview.com/

I used this ThreeLac twice a day for about 2 months, then just went on general probiotics from the health food store and took these every day for about 6 months after.

I continued to eat as I usually do and although I don't have a sweet tooth and generally have a good diet, my "sinful" temptations are wine and coffee. As I said, I continued with this for an extended period of time.

Of course, I felt much, much better; and the candida didn't seem to come back as it ususally had with all the other regiments, but here's the kicker for me: I suffered with a darned toenail fungus for years. Tried EVERYTHING for that, and I would get it healed with topical treatments, get the nail to grow back nice, only to reappear again, and have to start the topical treatments over! I had pretty much given up on it and just thought I'm have to live with that ugly big tonail for the rest of my life. But this course of probiotics has completely healed my toe. There is no sign of a fungal infection there and hasn't been for about 2 years!

Hope this helps some of you.

Which form works the best? The liquid that you have to keep chilled in the refridgerator or the capsules you have to keep chilled in the refridgerator?

Laura said:
Gimpy said:
I've overdone this diet a time or two. (too severe a calorie restriction) I'm allergic to tree nuts, walnuts in particular, and while I can take the black walnut hull products for a little while, all the other restrictions are a bit tough. (I love fruit, bad monkey, no cookie! :lol: )

The only hard part in a diet like this is fruit and COFFEE....man, without beanage in the morning I can barely function.

I don't know how you could have severe calorie restriction when there are so many foods available to eat. After I got serious and did the two week fast, I started back on veggies and didn't eat anything but for several weeks. But I sure did eat a LOT! I gorged on fresh tomatoes from our garden, collards, bok choy, salads, lentils, etc. I doused everything liberally with olive oil and a smidgen of butter for taste. I started making my own mayonnaise out of grape seed oil, dijon mustard, lime juice, garlic and salt. You can eat broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, and so on. If you keep big dishes of green beans, lentils, greens of some kind, in the fridge, and have tomatoes available, you can really satisfy your hunger while withdrawing from carbs. I also ate a lot of cucumbers during that period. And zucchini cooked with tomatoes. And cabbage cooked with onions and tomatoes. And cabbage made into slaw with homemade mayonnaise... and egg salad made with my mayonnaise... but that came later. Tuna salad, too, made with "good" mayonnaise.

So, there is no reason to be calorie restricted!

I will say, though, that having to give up coffee has been one of the tragedies of my life. It's been about 4 years now, and I STILL miss it.

(snip C's for space)

And my guess is that these people suffer a LOT and prolly Candida - and the horrible illnesses it can cause - is one of the agents of destruction.

Ooooo! Sounds good! :D

For some reason, the MS killed my appetite. I don't feel hunger anymore. Now, if I put food in my mouth, then it tastes great and a light goes off that says "OH! Its time to eat." So I'd eat until the light went off, which amounted to 1200 cal. a day. My co-workers were convinced that I wasn't eating enough, and my Boss sent me to see a nutritionist. She said I needed to eat 1500 cal a day. I try to hit that mark, but sometimes I can't eat that much.

I'm working on it though. Today hubby took me to a health food store and we picked up a candida cleanse kit, in addition to a few other things. I'm hoping to start the cleanse gently, and go on from there. I've gotten a new walker with wheels, and even got to have a go at raking leaves in the yard. (Sounds pitiful, but I was tickled to do something)

There have been times I've quit drinking coffee. Twice because I couldn't afford it, and once to prevent migraines...but its the last vice that clings the hardest ey?

Right now, coffee is all that keeps me awake. If I'm going to stop drinking it, I'm concerned that I'll go back to sleeping 16+ hours a day. (Ugh....talk about a need to 'wake up!') I think the C's are right, that people get hit with parasites when they are beginning to 'wake up'. MS sure hit me at a pivotal point in life...but where there's life, there's hope. (I have no kids, just my four footed compadres)

I've had every possible avenue of a 'cure' tossed at me by friends and family when first diagnosed. I take a dim eye at most of the extreme ones (like bee venom, when I'm allergic to bee stings).

I have picked up the Detox or Die used and a copy of the Leptin book, and am working on the recipes. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. ;)

Hi April, I've tried many different kinds and probiotics and they've all worked fairly well. As far as liquid versus capsules, I personally had better luck with the capsules. I hate to recommend them over the liquid though on that basis because there are so many other factors involved when treating candidiasis. I do keep them all refrigerated, although there is some debate as to whether all preparations of probiotics need to be. The best ones were from my naturopath. However, I couldn't really keep that up since it was 6 servings for about $30.00.

When I'm buying them, I usually just ask the person who works at the health food store which product he recommends as far as value for my money. There is an amount of trust that goes on when buying probiotics. If you buy the refrigerated kind, who's to know that they have always stayed refrigerated, even during shipping, or what if they were accidentally frozen?. And you don't have a lab set up at your house to figure out if there are indeed so many billions of active bacteria there.

One other way I get probiotics is by buying active yogurt and trying to eat this a few days per week. This is what I feed my kids too.

I wish you all well and good health.

From: http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/leakygut.htm

Leaky Gut Syndrome - Candida

Leaky gut is an ailment which allows partially digested foods, toxins and bad bacteria to percolate though the small intestine and into the blood stream, contributing to a large number of serious ailments ranging from lupus, candida and arthritis to all sorts of food and other allergies. Its causes and how to heal the leaky gut and Candida are explored on this page.

Leaky Gut - the name is enough to disgust you. But pay attention! Experts are beginning to believe that this ailment is more common than has been thought, and that is can be the cause of many diseases ranging from allergies to lupus, Candida, Arthritis, diabetes, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and even Crohn's disease could be linked to leaky gut syndrome.

What is leaky gut ?

After passing through the stomach, whatever we eat passes into the small intestine which is designed to allow nutrients to be absorbed from the food and into the blood stream. The mucus lining of the intestine consists of helpful bacterial and good yeasts which break down the food into substances which are beneficially used by the body. When the composition of this lining is disturbed, the intestine walls can be damaged, and become porous - allowing unwanted substances to penetrate the lining and into the bloodstream.

The body becomes overwhelmed by this flood of foreign substances, and reacts by producing antibodies and resultant inflammation to joints and circulatory systems, allergic reactions and even mood swings.

What causes leaky gut ?

A large number of factors are thought to be the villains, including:

Overuse of antibiotics, steroids, NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc)
Poor diet - high in refined foods and sugars and nutritional deficiencies
Incomplete digestion
Heightened exposure to environmental toxins
Stress
Parasitic infestations

What are the symptoms?

These are wide ranging, and include:

Candidiasis, when "bad" yeast takes over the intestines and other parts of the body such as the vagina. In some instances, candida can even invade the brain.

Allergies - food, airborne, environmental, skin

A weakened immune system with all the problems that can follow

Chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome

Auto-immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, CFS and lupus.

What steps are necessary to repair leaky gut?

These include:

Removing the candida yeast and its roots which penetrate the mucous lining

Flush any parasites out of the gut, both microscopic and visible

Cleanse the gut of toxins

Keep away from the non-food foods: sugars, refined carbohydrates, coffee, fatty foods.

Enhance the flow of digestive secretions such as HCl and pancreatic enzymes.

Provide proper nutrition to the body with Greens +

Include the right supplements in this diet: zinc, anti-oxidants, L-glutamine, insulin stimulators, garlic, barberry, pau de arco, oragano, and healthy living flora in yogurt etc.

Drink only purified water and lots of it!

Conclusions

All of these steps require conscious life style changes which may seem difficult to take. However, the implications of leaky gut syndrome on the body's general health are serious, and orthodox medicine has no quick fixes - the antibiotics that might be prescribed are only going to exacerbate the problem. Most Physicians deny it very existence, because the pharmaceutical industry has no drugs to counteract it.

ReNew Life of Tarpon Springs, Florida has developed a number of great, natural herbal products after years of testing which are proven to remedy the damage to the gut - they are IntestiNEW, FloraMore, ParaGone and ParaZYME. The development of these products has taken place over many years in their chain of clinics with hands-on techniques and refinements.

d-Lenolate Olive leaf extract is also highly effective in killing off candida and parasites, as well as the bad bacteria in the body. Along with its use, it is essential to take a range of the above complementary products to rebuild the lining.

Check here for suggestions on what order you should use these products in, depending on the level of digestive problems you may be experiencing.

If you would like to receive an audio tape telling you more about how to restore your health using this system, please send a check or money order for $2.50 to:
Health-n-Energy

The Natural Way February 1997

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

by Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa

Yeast problems have been around for a long time. The culprit--candida albicans, a type of fungus--creates minor conditions such as vaginitis and skin rashes. Allowed to multiply unchecked, it can cause a long and complicated list of symptoms--headaches, irritability, digestive problems, allergies and depression. In people with seriously compromised immune systems, yeast can enter the bloodstream and be fatal.

Unfortunately, an overgrowth of yeast is not always easy to detect. Some women (candida albicans usually favors women) simply get annoying, recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Mary Thomas had them like clockwork four times a year for 15 years. When her symptoms flared up, she treated them with a topical pharmaceutical application. They would disappear gradually over a few days, only to recur in two or three months. At her wit's end, Mary consulted an herbalist who, after a thorough examination, recommended a high oral dose of grapefruit seed extract. Her symptoms quickly disappeared. Suitably impressed, she sought treatment that would help her control her yeast infections and maintain her health.

Not all sufferers are so lucky. Candida does not always manifest itself as a simple vaginal infection, making it extremely difficult to detect and treat. In fact, for Martha Ashe, vaginal yeast was never a problem. All she new was that her stomach became distended after dinner, she often felt depressed for no apparent reason, and her joints and muscles often ached. Just prior to her periods, Martha's headaches and general sense of "spaciness" intensified, leaving her exhausted and more depressed. Most medical doctors dismissed her "vague" symptoms as psychosomatic or simply stress related, sending her home more discouraged than ever. Thinking her symptoms might be diet related, Martha turned to an herbal nutritionist for help. The nutritionist recommended a thorough examination of Martha's digestive tract, wrote up a complete heath history and ordered blood work done. The results showed that Martha suffered from rampant polysystemic candidiasis. After carefully following a strict diet coupled with herbal treatments and vitamin supplements for a year, Martha feels she's finally yeast-free.

The Unfriendly Tenant

Although candida-related illnesses have plagued women for decades, it wasn't until 1968 that anyone in the medical profession was able to connect an overgrowth of yeast with a host of symptoms and complaints. While treating a patient for a vaginal yeast infection, C. Orion Truss, M.D., of Birmingham, Ala., noticed that her migraines and depression also disappeared. Fifteen years passed before Truss's work received notice through the publication of The Yeast Connection by William G. Crook, MD.

Candida albicans occurs naturally in the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal and genitourinary tracts, as well as on the skin. Ninety-five percent of us have yeast growing in our bodies by six months of age. Candida shares the intestines with billions of bacteria, which perform many necessary functions, including producing vitamins and lowering cholesterol. Yeast competes for space and food with these "good" bugs. If we have enough healthy intestinal flora, our system will keep yeast under control.

In a healthy person, candida yeast are present in very small numbers. We don't know of any benefit from them being there--they seem to live off us, but are basically harmless. However, anything that promotes yeast growth can lead to an imbalance and trigger a yeast-related disease.

Candidiasis typically progresses in a very systematic way. The symptoms escalate in four stages. First, imbalances begin in the digestive tract. As the candida begins to dominate the intestinal environment, people develop characteristic symptoms such as heartburn, gas, bloating , anal itching and vaginitis. As body defenses weaken, candida and other fungi can infect other body areas, causing athlete's foot, jock itch, skin and nail infections.

Although yeast cannot invade bodily tissue directly the way bacteria and viruses can, like other fungi, it produces root-like structures that penetrate the lining of the gut. This damage provides a site for incompletely digested dietary proteins to enter the bloodstream. The body sees these proteins as antigens and responds by developing an allergic reaction to that particular food. Candida sufferers are plagued by multiple food sensitivities, a condition that creates a vicious circle of immune suppression, further candida and allergy.

As candidiasis progresses, yeast cells attach themselves to mucous membrane surfaces, form a colony and transform into a fuzzy "mycelium" (think mold on bread). As their roots penetrate the tissues, searching for nutrients, the yeast produce toxins that damage the tissue and cause inflammation. Any tissue that has been colonized by yeast will be plagued with symptoms---vaginitis, diarrhea, heartburn or "thrush" (yeast in the mouth). Yeast cells can also show up in the sinuses, ears and eyes.

As the toxic by-products of a yeast infection circulate through the bloodstream, they can trigger symptoms in distant parts of the body. This tissue upset can result in conditions as diverse as asthma, sinusitis, lupus, PMS and kidney stones, according to Dr. Ralph Golan, writing in Optimal Wellness. Symptoms depend on which organ has been affected by the toxins. Damage to the brain can cause fuzzy thinking, while skin damage will cause itching and rashes.

As the immune system becomes compromised, the body becomes hypersensitive to otherwise benign levels of such common chemicals as gas fumes, perfume and pesticides.

The yeast-damaged body becomes so overwhelmed that it can produce antibodies against its own tissues, causing conditions like severe PMS. Along with classic allergy symptoms like hay fever and hives, as the sufferer becomes more allergic and chemically sensitive, she can develop reactions including headache, joint pain and nausea.

A third set of symptoms occurs when a yeast infection involves the central nervous system, and mental symptoms such as headache, irritability, confusion and lethargy begin. Finally, in an advanced case of candidiasis the body develops symptoms of organ and hormone dysfunction. The most common of these is hypothyroidism, followed by adrenal failure, but any organ can be involved. In children, the symptoms usually start with chronic ear infections and colic.

What Triggers The Invasion?

Candida truly is a disease of modern life. All of the factors that aggravate yeast overgrowth are consequences of modern living. Healthy people do not get yeast infections.

Yeast overgrows for two reasons: Something feeds it or something suppresses the immune system, rendering the body incapable of controlling it.

Antibiotics are thought to be the single greatest contributor to candida. True, antibiotics kill unwanted bacteria, such as those that cause teenage acne, but they also nonselectively kill the good bacteria in the digestive tract and vagina, allowing the antibiotic resistant candida albicans to flourish. Women often develop vaginal yeast infections after using antibiotics and frequently trace their first onset of candidiasis to a potent course of antibiotics, often years before. Once candidiasis develops and the gut is overgrown with yeast, the body's colony of beneficial bacteria cannot be reestablished without treatment.

Yeast also loves sugar. Remember, yeast is used to ferment sugar in bread and beer. White sugar, especially, is the perfect yeast food. It also suppresses immune response, which increases the likelihood that a yeast infection will spread. Sugar is not the only dietary culprit: All carbohydrates feed yeast to a certain extent and can contribute to episodes of symptoms.

Women are more at risk for the yeast syndrome, at least during their fertile years. Progesterone, produced in abundance prior to menstruation, favors yeast, and many premenstrual women see an increase in their yeast symptoms. Progesterone is a principal ingredient in oral contraceptives, which, not surprisingly, provoke yeast. When the body is in balance, taking oral contraceptives shouldn't cause significant yeast problems, but when candida is out of control, birth control pills can be a serious complicating factor.

During pregnancy, women develop higher blood sugar and higher progesterone. What could be better for yeast? In fact, many women trace the onset of their symptoms to their first pregnancy.

Finally, of course, women have a vagina---one more dark, moist, warm cavity for yeast to call home. A recent study showed that women with vaginal candidiasis had one-sixth the normal level of beta carotene in the cells of the vagina. Reduced levels of beta carotene, a recognized immune-enhancing antioxidant, suggest suppressed immunity in those tissues, leaving them more susceptible to vaginal yeast.

(N.B. It is virtually impossible to have a yeast or fungus infection in just one small area, such as the vagina. Fungi and yeast only need dark, warm, and moist conditions to become opportunistic. Our bodies have literally a multitude of other dark, warm, and moist locations. People who have been adequately treated with prescription drugs for fungi often find that have less itching in their ears, that their sinus problems clear up, and that various body rashes disappear. While those are external benefits to anti-fungals, internally, they often find that they breath easier, asthma-like symptoms disappear, thrush evaporates, and their IBS is no longer a problem. One of the main reasons for us to have fungal problems is that we have been found to lower NK cells. NK cells are among the first line of the immune system’s defense to ward off opportunistic infections. While alternative medicine practitioners know and treat this problem, it is only the nationally-recognized CFS, FM, MCS, and Lyme-literate doctors who address these issues. Attempting to obtain appropriate and adequate anti-fungal treatment from one’s HMO or regular Internist is almost a lost cause, despite the overwhelming research that proves its reality. MJK)

Numerous other circumstances favor yeast development. Incomplete digestion of carbohydrates, especially when combined with diarrhea, brings food to the yeast that inhabit the large intestine. A number of drugs, especially cortisone, encourage the growth of yeast, as does exposure to damaging amounts of environmental chemicals, such as pesticides. Allergies, glandular disorders from any source (including diabetes) and trauma (such as surgery) also contribute to candidiasis.

Clearly, none of these factors alone causes yeast disorder, which is what makes the condition so elusive. To treat the problem successfully once yeast has gotten firmly established, you must "search and destroy" each of candida's building blocks one by one.

The Counter-Attack

Candida can be controlled with a multi-pronged approach aimed at normalizing and strengthening immune function, killing yeast in the digestive tract (and other areas it has colonized), replacing beneficial flora in the intestines and stabilizing the nutritional status of the body as a whole.

Diet. Eat whole foods that nourish you--not the yeast. You knew all along I was going to say it: No Sugar. The more you minimize simple carbohydrates in favor of complex carbohydrates, the better. Most people need to eliminate fruit for a period of time, and some can't even tolerate high-starch vegetables like potatoes.

Essentially, the diet that starves yeast while supporting the immune system avoids sweets, refined flours and all allergy-producing and mold-containing foods (if sensitive to them). Such a diet includes adequate protein, a lot of fresh vegetables, complex carbohydrates appropriate to the case and moderate fat and fruit only as tolerated.

(N.B. One of the alternative products recommended to boost the immune system is Spirulina, a.k.a., Blue-Green Algae. If we are trying to lessen molds and yeast in our body, I have difficulty understanding why anyone would subject themselves to what is essentially moldy pond scum, Regardless of the alleged purity of the product and its purported high concentrations of beneficial nutrients, its basis remains the same - mold derived from murky, stagnant water. If it works for you, I’m delighted. However, the doctors who promote of this product generally have no understanding of the disease. MJK)

Food craving can be a big problem on an anti-yeast diet. When full of yeast, people feel a tremendous pressure to feed the fungus with sugar. Dr. Crook likens eating sugar in these circumstances to throwing kerosene on a fire. For cravings, he recommends protein, such as raw nuts or baked tofu. Ironically, when people have multiple food allergies, they are often addicted to the very foods that produce the allergic reactions and have classic withdrawal cravings without those foods.

Supplements. Many natural medicines work well to control yeast. One of the most important is "friendly flora," the bactobacilli that belong in the gut. Because the yeast has colonized the membranes of the intestines, large doses of lactobacilli are necessary to overpower the candida and replace its colonies. Use powdered acidophilus from the refrigerator case. A typical dose is two tablespoons per day for two weeks. In addition, you can use five mg of biotin per day or try Caprylic acid (begin with 200 to 300 mg a day, working up to 6,000 mg a day after two to three weeks).

Herbs. Many herbs act as anti-fungals. Basically, we can separate them into those that kill yeast directly and those that control it by supporting the immune system over time. Some do both.

Getting control of yeast requires a holistic approach to your total lifestyle. The world---and our bodies with it---is covered with yeast, and you will never be able to kill enough of the fungus to escape it. Only by adjusting your diet, de-stressing your lifestyle and supporting your immune system can you conquer candida. For this whole-person problem, with a little discipline, you will find a whole-person solution.

Yeast Risk Factor -- Antibiotics, oral contraceptives, pregnancy, cortisone and other immunosuppressant drugs, sugar, high-fat high-sugar nutrient-poor diets, environmental chemicals, chemotherapy and radiation treatments, allergy-producing foods, malabsorption of nutrients, chronic diarrhea, chronic viral infections, anti-inflammatory drugs, ulcer medication or acid blockers/antacids used for prolonged periods, emotional trauma.

Indulge -- Fresh lemon, fresh lime, most vegetable juices except carrot and beet, most vegetables, fresh garlic, fresh ginger

Avoid -- Fruit, potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, ketchup, all alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, dried-herb teas, milk, vinegar.

Avoid tomatoes????

The Chinese Medicine Take on it:
http://www.bluepoppy.com/press/download/articles/dysbiosis.cfm

INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS, LEAKY GUT SYNDROME, CANDIDIASIS & YIN FIRE

by BOB FLAWS, DIPL. AC. & C.H., FNAAOM

INTRODUCTION

Many Western patients seeking treatment from either alternative-minded Western MDs or from chiropractors and naturopaths are told that their many otherwise undiagnosable complaints are due to either intestinal dysbiosis, leaky gut syndrome, or candidiasis. Whenever I hear that a patient has been previously given one of these Western diagnoses, I can rest pretty assured that their Chinese pattern discrimination will be some combination of spleen qi vacuity, liver depression, and damp and/or depressive heat with another two or three patterns thrown in for good measure. Therefore, most Western sufferers of these conditions can be categorized as manifesting yin fire conditions, and Li Dong-yuan's theories about and protocols for yin fire are often the best ones for treating these patients.

INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS

In previous essays, I have outlined the main ideas concerning yin fire and its treatment. Here let me explain a little about these Western diseases and their Chinese disease causes and mechanisms. Intestinal dysbiosis means that the mixture of the fauna and flora in the intestines is not a healthy, correct one. Our intestines are home to a number of microorganisms, including various types of protozoa, bacteria, and fungi. Many of these commensal microorganisms provide important services to the body's ecology. When these populations of protozoa, bacteria, and fungi are in their proper numbers and relationships, they tend to inhibit and control one another, keeping the mix from becoming lop-sided and pathological. If one or another of these populations explodes, it may throw off this balance, resulting in one or more diseases.

THE CAUSES OF INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS

What factors may cause such a loss of balance of the protozoa, bacteria, and fungi in the intestines? Certainly one of the first and foremost causes in modern days is the use of Western medical antibiotics. Antibiotics as a class of medicines kill bacteria. Often antibiotics kill bacteria in the body indiscriminately, eliminating all the healthy bacteria as well as any pathological bacteria. Since "good" bacteria in the intestines help to keep populations of yeast and fungi in the guts in their proper numbers, if one wipes out all these healthy bacteria, yeast and fungi populations may soar.

Yeast and fungi populations may also soar due to exposure to certain types of hormones. This helps explain why these populations typically increase during the luteal phase of women's menstrual cycle and also during pregnancy when progesterone levels are up. However, hormone therapies, including the use of corticosteroids, may also stimulate the proliferation of yeast and fungi in the body.

Further, faulty diet may also contribute to over-growths of yeast and fungi. If you want to grow yeast and fungi in a bucket of water, what do you do? You add sugar. Therefore, diets high in sugars and sweets tend to feed yeast and fungi in the body to an unnatural and unhealthy extent. Human beings are now eating unprecedented amounts of sugars and sweets, which were unavailable to the majority of people only 150 years ago.

According to Chinese medical theory, antibiotics are bitter and cold and can easily damage the spleen if used in too large doses or for extended periods of time. Sweet is the flavor corresponding to earth and which enters the spleen. In very small, naturally occurring amounts, the sweet flavor fortifies the spleen and supplements the qi. However, due to its correspondence with earth (which is damp in nature), the sweet flavor also engenders dampness. When too much sweet is eaten, instead of fortifying the spleen, it damages the spleen and engenders evil dampness. If either antibiotics or overeating sugars and sweets damages the spleen and dampness is engendered, this dampness will obstruct and hinder the free flow of yang qi. The yang qi will become depressed and this depressed qi may transform into evil heat. If this depressive heat mutually binds with this dampness, it then gives rise to internally engendered damp heat.

Estrogen is a yin essence supplement. If taken in excessive amounts for the individual patient's pattern, estrogen can cause pathological accumulations of dampness and even phlegm (i.e., con gealed dampness). Progesterone is a yang essence supplement. Being yang, progesterone adds yang qi to the system and yang is inherently warm. Thus progesterone in some patients may stir ministerial fire and quicken the transformation of evil dampness into damp heat or simple qi stagnation into depressive heat. Corticosteroids, such as Prednisone, are warm, exterior-resolvers which transform essence into yang qi, which is then upborne and out-thrust. Although out-thrusting is one way of clearing internal heat, because they are yang, corticosteroids may also quicken or make more likely the transformation of dampness into damp heat, especially in those where strong use of exterior-resolving damages yin fluids and leads to yin vacuity with yang hyperactivity.

THE RESULTS OF INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS

If yeast and fungi remain in the intestinal tract, they cause only digestive complaints, such as bloating and gas after meals, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, and intestinal pain. However, when yeast multiply unchecked, they may branch out by sending hyphae or tentacles through the walls of the intestines. New fungi then bud from these hyphae and reproduce within the body itself. When these yeast and fungi, which are now on the inside of the body, die, they break down into foreign protein molecules, which the body recognizes as "not me." Hence the body mounts an immune response against these foreign molecules. This immune response may be experienced as an allergic response. Further, because these fungi have breached the intestinal lining with their tentacles, other large molecules, which would not enter the "inside" of the body may pass through. These other large, undigested food molecules may also provoke allergic reactions. This is what is meant by leaky gut syndrome.

If a constant succession of allergic reactions continue day in and day out, over time two things will happen. One, the immune system will lose its perspective of what to attack and what not to attack. It "pops off" at the drop of the hat so to speak, reacting to stimuli as threats to the body, which most people do not. Eventually, if the immune system loses all sense of what it should and shouldn't do, it may start to attack our own tissues and organs. Then we label the patient as suffering from this or that autoimmune disease depending upon what tissues the body is attack ing. If the body's immune system is attacking the thyroid gland, then the patient may suffer from autoimmune or Hashimoto's thyroiditis. If the body's immune system attacks the ovaries, causing autoimmune ovaritis, then the patient may suffer from endometriosis. Secondly, because of overwork, the immune system may become fatigued and not very effective at fighting the pathogens it normally should. So patients with this scenario may also easily be invaded by viruses and other disease-causing pathogens most of us routinely and successfully ward off.

DIET & POLYSYSTEMIC CHRONIC CANDIDIASIS

Since this scenario may lead to a wide range of tissues and organs being affected, some Western clinicians have referred to this as polysystemic chronic candidiasis (PSCC), but whatever we call it, in Chinese medicine, we are talking about Li Dong-yuan's concept of yin fire. All the foods that typically negatively affect this condition are those that Chinese medicine says either damage the spleen, engender dampness, aggravate heat, or impede the free flow of qi. For instance, we have seen above that sugars and sweets damage the spleen and engender dampness. Likewise, foods that are high in wei or flavor (a technical concept in Chinese medicine) tend to be hard to digest and have a high proportion of turbidity to clear qi. If clear and turbid are not thoroughly separated and turbidity eliminated from the body, then turbidity may also lead to evil dampness. Foods high in wei which tend to be dampening include milk, cheese, and dairy products in general as well as yeasted, steamed, or boiled wheat flour products. According to Li, "sodden wheat foods damage the spleen." Alcohol and oil are both damp and hot. They engender dampness but may also create evil heat or damp heat. The sour flavor enters the liver and is astringing. Astringing implies inhibiting the free flow of the qi. Thus sour flavored foods, such as vinegar, may damage the liver's coursing and discharge and cause or aggravate liver depression qi stagnation, ultimately transforming into depressive heat. Add sweet and sour together, as in orange juice or tomato sauce and we have a perfect recipe for damp heat.

Hence Chinese dietary therapy agrees with all the foods that Western clinicians say to avoid if one suffers from intestinal dysbiosis, leaky gut syndrome, or candidiasis. Again, these are all foods that damage the spleen and engender dampness, engender or aggravate heat, or impede the free flow of qi. A logical extension of this is that one must complement Chinese medicinal therapy for yin fire conditions with correct dietary therapy. If one does not adhere to the clear bland (qing dan) diet of Chinese dietary therapy and avoid those foods which are known to aggravate candidiasis, then no combination or no amount of Chinese herbs will ever get a really satisfactory result. I have achieved many very startling clinical results with very strict anti-candida, hypoallergenic, clear bland diets even without any Chinese medicinals.

Therefore, patients with yin fire scenarios need to understand the importance of proper diet and be willing to stick to such a diet for at least three months. After even only two weeks of such a clear bland diet, most candidiasis/leaky gut patients will experience improvement in their conditions across the board. After three months, their condition should be greatly improved. However, the patient should also understand that, if they revert to their previous diet, their symptoms will probably quickly come back. For more lasting results, patients need to stick with the clear bland diet for 6-9 months or even a year. And even then, lapses from this diet should only be occasional exceptions and not the daily rule. For more information on the clear bland diet of Chinese medicine, readers may see my The Tao of Healthy Eating, published by Blue Poppy Press.

HERXHEIMER REACTIONS

In general, professional Chinese medicine seeks to cure without any side effects, and mostly we do not try to provoke nor do we expect what homeopaths refer to as "healing crises." However, when patients suffer from candidiasis/yin fire scenarios, their first few doses of medicine may provoke what is called a Herxheimer or die-off reaction. According to Western medicine, the medicinals may cause a massive die-off of yeast and fungi throughout the body. As these die, their decomposing bodies cause a type of toxicity within the body. The body may not be able to excrete and expel all these toxins as quickly as the patient would like. In that case, the patient may feel sick due to this back-up of yeast and fungi breakdown products.

If seeming side effects to Chinese medicinals for yin fire conditions are actually a Herxheimer reaction, these medicinals should not be suspended, but rather they should be continued, possibly increased, and maybe also modified by the addition of other medicinals. If such seeming side effects are a die-off reaction, then there will be the following symptoms: The patient will feel fluey, achy in the joints, possibility even a little feverish. They will feel nauseous and may even vomit. Likewise, they may experience diarrhea. There is also often a headache. Various of the patient's other symptoms may suddenly flare up or get worse. However, if this is truly a Herxheimer reaction, it will only last 12-36 hours, and after it subsides, the patient and their practitioner should see that all of the patient's other signs and symptoms also recede along with the symptoms of the Herxheimer reaction. If vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, fever, or bodily aches and pains continue for more than 36 hours, then this is probably not a Herxheimer reaction, the medicinals have been improperly prescribed for the patient's pattern, and they should be suspended or modified.

Other things one can do during a Herxheimer reaction in order to speed its passing is to use every means available to rid these die-off toxins from the body. This means that one may add an intestinal purgative to the patient's regime, such as Magnesium Citrate from the drugstore or Radix Et Rhizoma Rhei (Da Huang) and Mirabilitum (Mang Xiao) from the Chinese apothecary. They may also do an enema. They should drink more water in order to increase urinary excretion and take a hot bath or sauna to provoke sweating. If one takes a hot bath, one may put Epsom Salts in the bath water.

Some Chinese doctors from China who do not know about Herxheimer reactions have been scared off from giving Western patients Chinese herbs. They knew their formulas were correct based on their patient's pattern, but the patient had seemingly unexplainable nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This has led some native Chinese doctors now working in the West to say that Westerners cannot take Chinese herbal medicine. This is a great mistake. It is true that, up till now and due to differences in diet and medical care, Chinese patients have tended to suffer less from complicated yin fire conditions that Westerners. Therefore, many Chinese doctors from China do not have much clinical experience in dealing with these kinds of conditions. Because these kinds of conditions are so prevalent in exactly the patient population which makes the greatest use of acupuncture and Chinese medical practitioners in the West, Western practitioners need to be well-versed in this topic. The following functional translation of a recent Chinese medical journal article on intestinal dysbiosis and Chinese medicine helps explain some of these concepts further.

CHINESE LITERATURE ON INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS

(From "The Treatment of Intestinal Dysbiosis Diarrhea with Yu Ping Feng San [Jade Windscreen Powder] Combined with Si Ni San [Four Counterflows Powder]" by Zheng Jian-hong & Lin Zhi-rong, Xin Zhong Yi [New Chinese Medicine], #5, 1998, p. 30-31)

Following the use of heavy [doses] of antibiotics, some patients develop intestinal dysbiosis whose symptoms become increasingly numerous. This condition easily relapses and may continue for five years. The authors of this clinical audit have treated 22 cases of this disease with a combination of Yu Ping Feng San and Si Ni San with relatively good therapeutics effects as described below.

Cohort description:

All the patients in this study had been treated with a long course of antibiotics and none had previously had any history of abnormal diarrhea. Of these 22 patients with intestinal dysbiosis, 12 were men and 10 were women. They ranged in age from 20-63 years old, with a median age of 46. Four cases were between 20-30, six cases were 31-40, eight cases were 41-50, and four cases were 51 years old or above.

Treatment method:

The basic medicinals used were: Radix Astragali Membranacei (Huang Qi) and Semen Coicis Lachryma-jobi (Yi Yi Ren), 24g @, Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae (Bai Zhu), Radix Albus Paeoniae Lactiflorae (Bai Shao), and Sclerotium Poriae Cocos (Fu Ling), 18g @, Radix Ledebouriellae Divaricatae (Fang Feng), Fructus Immaturus Citri Aurantii (Zhi Shi), and Rhizoma Coptidis Chinensis (Huang Lian), 9g @, Radix Bupleuri (Chai Hu), 12g, and Radix Glycyrrhizae (Gan Cao), 6g.

If abdominal pain was severe, 17g of Cortex Magnoliae Officinalis (Hou Po) and 9g of Fructus Amomi (Sha Ren) were added. If tenesmus was marked, 6g of Radix Auklandiae Lappae (Mu Xiang) and 12g of Semen Arecae Catechu (Bing Lang) were added. If vacuity cold was pronounced, 18g of Radix Codonopsitis Pilosulae (Dang Shen) and 9g of dry Rhizoma Zingiberis (Gan Jiang) were added. If there was food stagnation, 15g of Fructus Germinatus Hordei Vulgaris (Mai Ya) and Fructus Crataegi (Shan Zha) were added. If damp heat was heavy, 15g of Herba Patriniae Heterophyllae Cum Radice (Bai Jiang Cao) and 12g of Radix Pulsatillae Sinensis (Bai Tou Weng) were added. If there was simultaneous nausea and vomiting, 12g of Rhizoma Pinelliae Ternatae (Ban Xia) and Herba Agastachis Seu Pogostemi (Huo Xiang) were added.

One ji was administered per day, decocted in water two times, and given warm in two divided doses on an empty stomach. Seven days equaled one course of treatment.

Treatment outcomes:,br> Complete cure was defined as disappearance of the symptoms of diarrhea with 1-2 bowel movements per day and formed stools. All bodily symptoms and other laboratory tests returned to normal. Marked effect was defined as 2-3 bowel movements per day with the stools gradually taking shape or loose stools but only one time per day. At least one other bodily symptom or laboratory test result had not yet returned to normal. A change for the better was defined as some improvement in the disease symptoms, the bodily condition, and laboratory tests. No effect meant that, after one course of treatment, there was no improvement or [the condition] had gotten worse.

Based on the above criteria, 15 out of 22 patients were judged cured, five got a marked effect, and two got no result. Thus the total amelioration rate was 90.91%.

Representative case history:

The patient was a 20 year old male who was first examined on Mar. 17, 1997. Due to a number of broken bones in his thighs and neck, he had already gone for surgery three times and, therefore, he had had to undergo long and heavy doses of antibiotics. One week prior, he had developed diarrhea with abdominal pain and a low-grade fever. Each day he had watery stools 10 or more times. His WBC count was 11 x 109/L. N was 0.82. HGB was 70g/L. There were an abnormally high number of white blood cells in his stools. Therefore, his Western medical diagnosis was intestinal dysbiosis diarrhea. Three days previously he had stopped using antibiotics and had tried taking ready-made medicines, such as Huang Lian Su (Coptis Simple). However, the diarrhea had not improved. Therefore, he came to a Chinese doctor for examination.

At the examination, it was seen that his temperature was 37.8°C. His facial complexion was sallow yellow. He passed stools more than 10 times per day. These stools were watery. These were accompanied by a small amount of plaque-like mucusy material. Each time he ate or drank water, he would have abdominal pain. There was intestinal tenesmus and a yellow-colored water seeped and leaked from his anal gate. No matter what the patient ate, he felt vexed, agitated, and disquieted. He was fatigued and lacked strength. His urination was short and scanty and its color was faintly yellow. His tongue was pale and had the marks of his teeth on its edges. Its fur was thin and yellow. His pulse was fine and weak.

This pattern was categorized as spleen vacuity qi fall with damp obstruction transforming into heat. Treatment was, [therefore,] in order to fortify the spleen and boost the qi, rectify the qi and transform dampness, assisted by clearing heat. The prescription [read]: Radix Astragali Membranacei (Huang Qi) and Semen Coicis Lachryma-jobi (Yi Yi Ren), 24g @, Radix Albus Paeoniae Lactiflorae (Bai Shao), Radix Codonopsitis Pilosulae (Dang Shen), and Sclerotium Poriae Cocos (Fu Ling), 18g @, Fructus Immaturus Citri Aurantii (Zhi Shi), 9g, Rhizoma Coptidis Chinensis (Huang Lian), Radix Auklandiae Lappae (Mu Xiang), and Radix Glycyrrhizae (Gan Cao), 6g @, and Semen Arecae Catechu (Bing Lang), 12g.

After three ji, [the patient] was re-examined. His body temperature was normal. He was defecating 5-6 times per day. [The stools] were yellow in color and sticky in consistency. His abdominal pain and tenesmus were markedly decreased. There was already no seeping and leakage of stools, and his essence spirit had improved. [Food] intake had increased, but his tongue and pulse were the same as above. White blood cells in the stools had significantly decreased. [Therefore,] Auklandia and Areca were removed from the above formula and 15g of Fructus Germinatus Hordei Vulgaris (Mai Ya) and Endothelium Corneum Gigeriae Galli (Ji Nei Jin) were added. After [another] three ji, there was no abdominal pain or tenesmus. He was defecating two times per day with mushy stools. His essence spirit and stomach intake were improved. [Hence,] another three ji of the above formula were continued and his stools became normal, while his essence spirit and stomach intake were quite good. He was suggested to continue taking stomach-fortifying, dampness-transforming Chinese medicinals in order to secure the treatment effect. On follow-up after half a year, there had been no relapse.

Chinese authors' discussion:

This disease is due to long-term heavy use of antibiotics causing loss of balance of the intestinal fauna and flora. Clinically, this is mainly evidenced by diarrhea and abdominal pain. Chinese medicine disease diagnosis categorizes this as diarrhea (xie xie). Its root is spleen vacuity qi fall. Its disease mechanisms [include] dampness obstructing the qi [which causes] stagnation. If this endures, it transforms into heat, and clear and turbid are not divided. Therefore, the root is vacuous, while the branch is replete. Cold and heat are mixed together and the disease is by nature recurrent.

Treatment should, [in this case,] support the righteous and dispel evils. Taking into account changes in the disease's nature and discriminating clearly between cold and heat, vacuity and repletion, one must cleverly support the righteous while not retaining evils and dispel evils without damaging the righteous. Yu Ping Feng San boosts the qi and secures and astringes. It also commands the intestinal tract's opening and closing. Si Ni San plus Ledebouriella courses and out-thrusts, dries dampness, divides [clear from turbid], and rectifies the middle burner. Coix and Poria are added to the above to fortify the spleen, divide [clear from turbid], and disinhibit urination. Taken as a whole, this combined formula fortifies the spleen and dispels dampness, dispels evils and quiets the righteous, thus curing the disease.

This disease easily relapses. The main causes of such recurrences are spleen vacuity and damp obstruction. Therefore, after achieving a [clinical] cure, one should continue fortifying the spleen and transforming dampness in order to preventively treat and stop recurrent outbreaks.

Bob's discussion:

As the reader can see, the formula used in the above protocol follows all of Li Dong-yuan's principles for treating yin fire conditions. There are spleen-fortifying qi supplements, liver-coursing qi-rectifiers, and bitter, cold heat-clearing medicinals.

In addition, other medicinals from other categories can be added depending on whatever other disease mechanisms are at work. This is the kind of complex formula that I find is required to treat the vast majority of my patients with chronic problems.

Another angle:

Expert: RawPalaeoGuy
Date: 6/22/2007
Subject: candida,leaky gut and ms

Question
I have extreme candida and leaky gut. I also must tell you I have MS. I am going to start to try and battle this disease using the raw paleo diet. I read somwhere that A.V. successfully treated clients with MS using a raw paleo diet or as he calls it...The Primal Diet. I obviously must negate the candida and leaky gut. Can you tell me how you suggest that i do this?? I know to not have any form of sugar like honey,fruit,alcohol,starch,grains ,ect. I am very familiar with eating raw. I was a raw vegan...but never satisfied ...I always binged on too much fruit and so called raw snacks. So, I now am going to try a raw paleo diet. As for the leaky gut and candida...do you think high meat will help close the holes in my gut and kill the candida??? and if so can you tell me step by step , how to prepare it???As far as the myelin nerve damage from the MS...Do you think fat will repair it?? should I lean more towards raw fish or raw meat???Lastly...how do you yourself prepare and eat your raw chicken??? Thanks...sorry so many questions but I want to get well

Answer
The guru behind the (albeit-cooked) Homo Optimus Diet recommends a high-fat, moderate protein, and low-carb diet for his multiple-sclerosis patients, along with various extracts from the brains, spinal cords and other organ-meats from animals (the protein:-fat ratio is 1:3, and the carbs allowed are no more than 50g a day) - a raw version of such a diet, with organ-meats rather than processed extracts or supplements, would be very useful re alleviating MS symptoms.

Re candida/leaky gut:- With those additional symptoms, it's a very good idea, indeed, to minimise the carbs(ie no fruit/honey/veggie-juice etc.) - if it's not a problem for you, it might be best to have a few carbs one day, then go mostly carb-free for a few days(ie eat only raw (non-dairy)animal-food, no plant-food), before again having a couple of carbs in very small amounts - I think it's better that way, than to have minimal amounts of fruit/honey etc. every single day, as the Homo Optimus Diet (perhaps unwisely) recommends.

Since you have leaky gut, it's absolutely imperative that you cut out all grains and dairy from your diet, regardless of whether they are fermented, raw,or whatever. Those foods are bad enough for one's health in other ways, but can seriously damage a person's body if his or her digestive system isn't in good condition - even the WAPF have grudgingly admitted that leaky-gut is a special problem as regards raw-dairy consumption.

(I would also suggest not overdoing egg consumption. A lot of RPDers have complained about AV's recommendations re excessive daily amounts of raw eggs. Cordain, the Paleo diet guru, recommends a maximum of 6 eggs, a month, for a number of reasons, and I tend to agree with him re this. It's better to get one's sources of fat from muscle-meats/organ-meats).

Re high-meat:- By all means, use "high-meat". That will help digestion as a side-effect and improve energy-levels and mood by increasing the body's levels of bacteria, but it won't necessarily directly help heal the leaky-gut or the candida - avoiding those other foods I mentioned will help more in that regard.

Re High-meat:- Theoretically, any kind of raw-animal-food can be used( to make high-meat(eg:- fish/eggs/muscle-meats/heart/kidney etc.) However, my experience is that people can only get used to one or two kinds of "high-meat", at best, and have to avoid the rest. In my own case, I quickly got used to using (organic/grass-fed) ox/beef hearts for my "high-meat"(which I use mostly), along with, on occasion, ox or beef kidneys, and I 've even had raw ox tongue as "high-meat", as well - however, I still cannot stand eating "high-meat" in the form of eggs, fish/shellfish or muscle-meats(though I can now easily tolerate some of them if they're only a few days out of the fridge etc.). I'd suggest that you keep experimenting with the various types until you find what works best for you.

For eating "high-meat", I'd suggest you start out with only eating tiny slivers of high-meat, so that you can just bolt them down without chewing. You should then quickly chase each piece down with a gulp of (mineral-)water. Once you get used to it, you'll find that you won't be getting an urge to vomit any more, and you'll be eating it with gusto - it's all a matter of unlearning old, bad habits and conditioning.

However, in my case, I only noticed the full fatigue-relieving effect of "high-meat" once I started to eat c.2 full (bite-sized) chunks of "high-meat" each time. Even then, oddly enough, it would take c.12-24 hours for me to really notice the fatigue-reducing effect. I suppose effects will vary from individual to individual, so you should experiment to see what amounts work best for you.

Re "High-Meat" preparation:- Cut pieces of meats/organ-meats up into bite-sized chunks, so that you can more easily deal with them later on. Put them into a vacuum-jar or bell-jar(I just use a sealed container from the supermarket). Make sure the container is c.50% full of air, so that the bacteria in the meat can get enough oxygen(this is important). AV recommends then taking the jar out once every 3 to 4 days, and opening the lid and airing it by shaking etc., so as to replace the stale, used air in the box. I find that liquid can accumulate in the box over time, so I tend to get rid of it. I also like using more solid meats like from ox-heart or tongue, than kidneys, if possible, as the softer organ-meats can quickly deteriorate into a sort of gooey slimey soup. My general rule, as regards using ox-hearts, is that I go through the routine of airing every so often(I prefer doing it every day, instead of every 3-4 days), until the ox-heart meat starts getting very slimey on the surface. At that point(c.two weeks or a month(?), depending on low level of fridge-temperature), I start eating the smelliest chunks first, c.2 a day-(and, of course, I keep adding some fresh meats to the box in the meantime, in order to maintain the cycle).

Some people prefer to do things differently. I know of some who don't mind eating high-meat even once it's become a liquid soup of mush, after a couple of months. This is not my thing. Others don't like using the fridge as the cold temperature, no matter how mild, slows down the rate of bacterial decay. The trouble with the latter practice is that flies are extremely ingenious re laying eggs on rotting-meat. I've sometimes left sealed containers out in the open, and after eating the meats, I would sometimes, after a week or two of continuous use, fail to notice a tiny speck of larval eggs laid by a fly on the underside of the lid, and, of course, when I roughly put the lid back in place, I would dislodge one or two tiny clumps of larvae into the aged meat, and would find maggots thriving in the mess a few days later.I am well aware that live maggots have been a delicacy in some ancient cultures, but I have yet to get to the stage where I can regard them as an everyday delicacy!

Re fat/myelin etc.:- Yes, I think fat will help heal it, to some extent. I would very strongly recommend raw (organic,100% grass-fed) bone-marrow as a primary source of fat, especially as so many people in my diet group have been similiarly impressed by its effectiveness. It's incredibly healthy, and is a source of essential trace-nutrients, as well as stem-cells etc.

Re MS:- This is a controversial topic, but the only data I've come across so far indicating a cure with definite, clinically-reviewed improvements re MS is concerned with the "Hygiene Hypothesis" theory. Here's a link re the cause and cure of MS that might interest you:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6268585.stm

Re raw fish/raw-meat:- Everyone has a different take re this. Some RPDers are followers of the Aquatic-Ape Theory and eat a mostly raw-seafood diet, others avoid seafood and fowl like the plague, due to misplaced fears re mercury-content, and just eat meats/organ-meats. Current studies of the diets of Palaeo humans show them as having eaten mostly muscle-meats/organ-meats from land-animals, but also having moderate amounts of raw seafood and raw fowl. Modern, organic-raised fowl are mostly(often completely) fed on grain and soy, so they are a definitely lesser option, these days. With regard to raw meats from land-mammals and raw seafood, there is the issue of nutrition - if most of the meats/organ-meats you buy have a hefty proportion of grain in their diet, it would be far healthier for you to go after wild-caught raw seafood instead, as a much higher percentage of your diet - if you can get hold of grass-fed organic meat, but most of the fish you can buy is farmed, then stick to the former foods, mostly etc.. In my own case, I tend to eat a lot more (wild-caught) seafood in the summer, and when I go abroad, I go out of my way to eat raw seafood, as organic meat is rare to find in Continental Europe.

Re chicken:- I highly disapprove of the way chickens are raised in this country. The Soil Association, the UK organic movement, has stupidly claimed an organic, 100% vegetarian diet as being the ideal for chickens, and organic farmers have followed suit. Given that chickens are, by nature, omnivorous eaters of earthworms in the wild etc, and the fact that I'm not exactly fond of the taste of raw organic chicken, anyway, I haven't bothered to eat it for c. 5 years now. The only fowl I eat is free-range turkey breast-fillets, and some wild mallard duck(when in season) - and I usually don't have to do more than just cut pieces of with my meat-knife, and gulp the stuff down. At any rate, I've completely forgotten how to prepare a raw chicken.

RPG

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/9artleakygutart.htm

Altered Immunity & The Leaky Gut Syndrome

by Dr Zoltan P Rona MD, MSc

The leaky gut syndrome is a name given to a very common health disorder in which the basic organic defect (lesion) is an intestinal lining which is more permeable (porous) than normal. The abnormally large spaces present between the cells of the gut wall allow the entry of toxic material into the blood stream that would, in healthier circumstances, be repelled and eliminated.

The gut becomes leaky in the sense that bacteria, fungi, parasites and their toxins, undigested protein, fat and waste normally not absorbed into the bloodstream in the healthy state, pass through a damaged, hyperpermeable, porous or "leaky" gut.. This can be verified by special gut permeability urine tests, microscopic examination of the lining of the intestinal wall as well as the bloodstream with phase contrast or darkfield microscopy of living whole blood.

Why is leaky gut syndrome important? The leaky gut syndrome is almost always associated with autoimmune disease and reversing autoimmune disease depends on healing the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. Any other treatment is just symptom suppression. An autoimmune disease is defined as one in which the immune system makes antibodies against its own tissues. Diseases in this category include lupus, alopecia, rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Sjogren's syndrome, vitiligo, thyroditis, vasculitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, urticaria (hives), diabetes and Raynaud's disease.

Physicians are increasingly recognizing the importance of the gastrointestinal tract in the development of allergic or autoimmune disease. Understanding the leaky gut phenomenon not only helps us with safe and effective therapies to bring the body back into balance. Due to larger than normal spaces between the cells of the gut wall, larger than usual protein molecules are absorbed before they have a chance to be completely broken down as occurs when the intestinal lining is intact. The immune system starts making antibodies against these larger molecules because it recognizes them as foreign, invading substances. The immune system starts treating them as if they had to be destroyed. Antibodies are made against these proteins derived from previously harmless foods. Human tissues have antigenic sites very similar to those on foods, bacteria, parasites, candida or fungi.

The antibodies created by the leaky gut phenomenon against these antigens can get into various tissues and trigger an inflammatory reaction when the corresponding food is consumed or the microbe is encountered. Autoantibodies are thus created and inflammation becomes chronic. If this inflammation occurs at a joint, autoimmune arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis) develops. If it occurs in the brain, myalgic encephalomyletis (a.k.a. chronic fatigue syndrome) may be the result. If it occurs in the blood vessels, vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels) is the resulting autoimmune problem. If the antibodies start attacking the lining of the gut itself, the result may be colitis or Crohn's disease. If it occurs in the lungs, asthma is triggered on a delayed basis every time the individual consumes the food which triggered the production of the antibodies in the first place. It is easy to see that practically any organ of the body tissue can become affected by food allergies created by the leaky gut. Symptoms, especially those seen in conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, can be multiple and severely debilitating.

The inflammation that causes the leaky gut syndrome also damages the protective coating of the IgA family normally present in a healthy gut. Since IgA helps us ward off infections, with leaky gut problems we become less resistant to viruses, bacteria, parasites and candida. These microbes are then able to invade the bloodstream and colonize almost any body tissue or organ. When this occurs in the gums, periodontal disease results. If it happens in the jaw, tooth extraction or root canals might be necessary to cure infection.

In addition to the creation of food allergies by the leaky gut, the bloodstream is invaded by bacteria, fungi and parasites that, in the healthy state, would not penetrate the protective barrier of the gut. These microbes and their toxins, if present in large enough amounts, can overwhelm the liver's ability to detoxify. This results in syndromes such as confusion, memory loss, brain fog, or facial swelling when the individual is exposed to a perfume or to cigarette smoke that he or she has had no adverse reactions to prior to the development of leaky gut syndrome.

Leaky gut syndrome also creates a long list of mineral deficiencies because the various carrier proteins present in the gastrointestinal tract that are need to transport minerals to the blood are damaged by the inflammation process. For example, magnesium deficiency (low red blood cell magnesium) is quite a common finding in conditions like fibromyalgia despite a high magnesium intake through the diet and supplementation. If the carrier protein for magnesium is damaged, magnesium deficiency develops as the result of malabsorption. Muscle pain and spasms can occur as a result. Similarly, zinc deficiency due to malabsorption can result in hair loss or baldness as occurs in alopecia areata. Copper deficiency can occur in an identical way leading to high blood cholesterol levels and osteoarthritis. Further, bone problems develop as a result of the malabsorption of calcium, boron, silicon and manganese.

The Causes

The leaky gut syndrome is basically caused by the inflammation of the gut lining. This inflammation is usually brought about by the following:

Antibiotics because they lead to the overgrowth of abnormal flora in the gastrointestinal tract (bacteria, parasites, candida, fungi; alcohol and caffeine (strong gut irritants):

foods and beverages contaminated by parasites like giardia lamblia, cryptosporidium, blastocystis hominis and other food and beverage contaminated by bacteria like helicobacter pylori, klebsiella, citrobacter, pseadomoas and other chemicals in fermented and processed food (dyes, preservatives, peroxidized fats);

enzyme deficiencies (e.g. celiac disease, lactase deficiency causing lactose intolerance) NSAIDS (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ASA, ibuprofen, indomethancin, etc);

prescription corticosteroids (e.g. prednisone);

high refined carbohydrate diet - (e.g. candy bars, cookies, cake, soft drinks, white bread);

prescription hormones like birth control pills;

mold and fungal mytoxins in stored grains, fruit nad refined carbohydrates.

The leaky gut syndrome can cause the malabsorption of many important micronutrients. The inflammatory process causes swelling (edema) and the presence of many noxious chemicals all of which can block the absorption of vitamins and essential amino acids. A leaky gut does not absorb the nutrients properly. Bloating, gas and cramps occur as do a long list of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Eventually, systemic complaints like fatigue, headaches, memory loss, poor concentration or irritability develop.

Prescription broad spectrum antibiotics, especially when taken for extended periods of time, wipe out all the gut friendly bacteria that provide protection against fungi and amoebic (parasitic) infections, help the body break down complex foods and synthesize vitamins like B12 and biotin. Since the friendly bowel flora is killed off, the body now has no local defense against parasites or fungi that are normally held in check. This then quickly develop and these may trigger the signs and symptoms of arthritis, eczema, migraines, asthma or other forms of immune dysfunction. Other common symptoms of this bowel flora imbalance and leaky gut syndrome are bloating and gas after meals and alternating constipation and diarrhea. This set of symptoms is usually labeled as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or spastic bowel disease and treated symptomatically by general practitioners and gastroenterologists with antispasmodic drugs, tranquilizers or different types of soluble (pysllium) and insoluble (bran) fiber.

The Leaky Gut and IBS

The mainstream thinking on IBS is that it is caused by stress. Irritable Bowel Syndrome is the number one reason for general practitioner referrals to specialists. In well over 80% of the cases, tests like intestinal permeability test ( a special urine test involving the determination of the absorption rates of two sugars called lactulose and mannitol), CDSA or livecell darkfield microscopy reveal the presence of an overgrowth of fungi, parasites or pathogenic bacteria. The one celled parasite, blastocystis hominis and different species of candida are the most common microbes seen in IBS. The only stress associated with IBS is that which is generated by leaky gut syndrome. If allowed to persist without correct treatment, IBS can progress into more serious disorders like the candidasis syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic fatigue syndrome, many autoimmune diseases and even cancer. If treated medically, IBS is rarely cured. To treat it correctly, natural treatments work best and must include the removal of the cause, improvement of gastrointestinal function and healing the lining of the gut.

How to reverse Leaky Gut syndrome

Band-aid treatment with corticosteroids, prescription antibiotics and immunosuppressive drugs may be temporarily life saving for acute episode of pain, bleeding or severe inflammation as occurs in lupus or colitis. In the long run, however, none of these treatments do anything to heal the leaky gut problem. To reverse the leaky gut syndrome the diet must be completely changed to one which is as hypoallergenic as possible. Sugar, white flour products, all gluten containing grains (especially wheat, barley, oats and rye), milk and dairy products, high fat foods, caffeine products, alcohol and hidden food allergies determined by testing must all be eliminated for long periods of time (several years in the more severe cases).
Treatment might also include the use of natural antibiotics: (echinacea, colloidal silver, garlic), antiparasitics:(cloves, wormwood, black walnut) and antifungal (taheebo, caplytic acid, grapefruit seed extract) depending on the type of infection which shows up on objective tests. It is rare that victims require prescription drugs for these infections and they should be discouraged. The drugs are usually expensive, have unpleasant side effects and are best reserved for life threatening conditions. Leaky gut syndrome patients can help themselves by chewing their food more thoroughly, following the basic rules of food combining, eating frequent small meals rather than three large ones and taking more time with their meals. Gastrointestinal function can be improved with a juice fast or a hypoallergenic diet and supplements like lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus as well as FOS (fructooligosaccharides) derived from Jerusalem artichoke, chicory, the dahlia plant or burdock root.

Beneficial supplements for leaky gut syndrome.

Natural digestive enzymes - from plant (e.g. bromelain, papain) or pancreatic animal tissues (porcine, bovine, lamb) and aloe vera juice with high MPS concentration (good brands are International Aloe, Earthnet and Royal);

stomach enhancing supplements- betain and pepsin, glutamic acid, stomach bitters, apple cider vinegar; amino acids - L-glutamine, N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG)

essential fatty acids - milled flax, flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil, olive oil, fish oil, black current seed oil; soluble fiber - pysillium seed husks and powder, apple and citrus pectin, the rice derived gamma oryzanol;

antioxidants- carotenoids, B complex. vitamin C, E, zinc, selenium, germanium, coenzyme Q10, bioflavinoids, especially quercetin, catechin, hesperidin, rutin and proanthocyanidins (pycnogonals, grape seed extract, pine bark extract, bilberry; herbs

and plant extracts - kudzu, various high chlorophyll containing green drinks like spirulina, chlorella and blue-green algae, burdock, slippery elm, Turkish rhubarb, sheep sorrel, licorice root, ginger root, goldenseal, bismuth and bentonite.

Combination Green Foods - two excellent products are Green Life (bioquest) and Greens+ (Supplement Plus).

Due to the increasing recognition of chronic fatique syndrome, the leaky gut syndrome and multiple chemical sensitivity, a number of supplement companies have been marketing powdered hypoallergenic formulations containing most of the nutrients mentioned above in one convenient package. Some brand names include UltrabalanceB, UltraClear, SustainB, UltraClear PlusB, Pro-Cleanse, Pro-Support, and AntiClear. The products are only available through natural health practitioners like chiropractors, nutritional doctors and naturopaths.

If you suspect you may be suffering from leaky gut syndrome, the most important thing to do is get yourself tested by a natural health care practitioner. A personalized natural program of diet and supplements can then be instituted to help you reverse this debilitating condition.

References:

Gittleman, A L - Guess what came to Dinner - parasites and your health. Garden City Park, NY Avery 1993.
Gottchall, Elain. Breaking the vicious Cycle. Intestinal Health through diet. Kirkton, Ont, Kirkton Press 1994
Martin, Jeanne Marie and Rona, Zoltan P. The complete Candida Yeast Guidebook. Rocklin, California. Prima Books 1996
Robert L et al. The effects of procyandolic oligomers on vascular permeability. A study using quantitative morphology. Pathol Biol. 38.608-616: 1990
Rogers, Sherry A. Finally Healing the immune System. Macrobiotics Today. Sept/Oct 1995 pp 16-20

Candidiasis and INFRARED SAUNA
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/candida.htm
CHRONIC CANDIDA ALBICANS INFECTION

Yeasts, molds and funguses are one-celled organisms. Beneficial ones include brewers and nutritional yeast, and lactobacillus acidophilus. Candida albicans is not among them. It produces poisons including alcohol.

Candida is found in the air, water and food but not normally in our bodies. Slow metabolism, deficient acid in the stomach, an over-alkaline intestinal tract and copper imbalance allow candida to flourish in the body. Weak adrenals, improper bowel flora, diets high in sugar and taking antibiotics, antacids, birth control pills and steroid hormones contribute to candida infection.

SYMPTOMS OF CANDIDA

Symptoms range from chronic fatigue and depression to headaches, bloating, gas and tightness in the shoulders. Candida can also contribute to brain fog, mood swings, memory loss, itching, joint pain, indigestion, ulcers, cancer and many sinus infections. Learning and behavior disorders are often due in part to candida infection, especially in children who eat a lot of sugar. Chronic candida can also contribute to irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, heartburn and gastric acid reflux disease or GERD. One form of candida is invasive, burrows into body organs and can be life-threatening.

Since candida albicans produces alcohol and acetaldehyde, it may also contribute to many other subtle dysfunctions, including general toxicity, liver dysfunction, nutrient deficiencies and more. Some practitioners blame most illness on candida. I do not find this to be the case. However, it is very common and an important contributor to ill health.

DETECTION

Symptoms are often excellent for detection. If one is tired or spacy after eating sweets or a high-carbohydrate meal, candida is likely. If one gets yeast infections, candida is present in the intestines as well. Gas or bloating that improves when one stops eating sugars and carbohydrates is another simple indicator of possible candida infection.

A simple test is to eliminate all sugars, fruit and juices for a week and take an anti-candida remedy such as grapefruit seed extract. If one feels better, or possibly worse due to a die offí reaction, candida is likely present.

Antigen-antibody skin tests are another method of detection. Stool analysis is also used for detection, though it can miss hidden candida organisms. On a hair mineral analysis, copper imbalance is associated with candida. The role of copper is discussed later in this article.

CAUSES - SLOW METABOLISM

In their order of importance, causes include slow metabolism, copper imbalance, alkaline intestines and tissues, medications, high carbohydrate diets and other toxins. Most people with candida are slow metabolizers. While their cells are more acidic, their intercellular spaces are too alkaline. Their bodies do not generate enough acid end products of metabolism such as lactic acid. Calcium, an alkaline-forming element, also builds up adding to the alkalinity. Candida thrives in an alkaline environment and becomes able to invade tissues and cause serious illness.

Slow metabolizers are also often deficient in hydrochloric acid. Stomach acid normally kills candida. This is one reason acidophilus, an acid-forming organism, often helps alleviate candida.

COPPER

Copper is the body's natural anti-candida agent. Farmers often spray copper sulfate on fruits and vegetables to kill yeast and molds. Water departments may add copper compounds to drinking water for the same reason. Copper may be added to swimming pools and hot tubs to control yeast. Copper favors aerobic metabolism which disables yeast.

Everyone with candida has a copper imbalance. Most often, copper is present but not available to the body. This is due to deficiency of ceruloplasmin, a copper binding protein. Adrenal hormones are required to produce ceruloplasmin. Underactive, exhausted adrenal glands or sluggish liver activity cause a decrease in ceruloplasmin production. As a result, copper is not properly bound and is less available to the body. Until the copper-adrenal-liver condition is corrected, candida is difficult to control

Birth control pills impair copper metabolism. Some antibiotics act by removing copper from the liver. Steroid therapy slows the adrenal glands which makes copper less available. All can cause or aggravate candida.

Women are more prone to candida infection. Copper imbalance is more prevalent in women as they tend to have more sluggish adrenals than men. Copper levels in women rise before the menstrual period. This is a common time of the month for women to experience yeast infections.

MEDICATIONS

Antibiotic overuse ranks high as a cause for candida. Acidophilus and other ëfriendlyí yeasts help maintain an acidic intestinal environment. Antibiotics often kill acidophilus. E. coli and other bacteria replace the friendly organisms and produce an alkaline environment in which candida thrives.

Some antibiotics are also toxic for the liver, and may impair its ability to produce ceruloplasmin. They can persist in the liver for years. They should be used only as an absolutely last resort and not for viral infections. Antibiotic residues are now found in tap water. The drugs are excreted in urine and feces, do not break down and reappear in city water supplies. This has been documented in several nations. With infrared saunas, vitamin A, vitamin C and propolis, antibiotics are very rarely needed.

Millions of pounds of antibiotics are also fed to animals. Commercially grown meats, poultry, milk and eggs contain antibiotic residues. Although this occurs less today, it is best to buy meat, poultry and dairy products from sources that do not use antibiotics in animal feed. Animals raised in a healthful manner rarely require antibiotics.

Antacids and other drugs that reduce acid may worsen candida by creating a deficiency of stomach acid. Ulcers and heartburn are often due to wheat allergy or factors other than excess stomach acid. Antacid drugs include Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac, Pepcid, Tagamet, Mylanta, Malox, Gaviscon, Riopan, Rolaids, Tums, Nexium and others. Birth control pills and steroid drugs such as cortisone or prednisone also contribute to candida.

DIETARY CARBOHYDRATES

Candida starts in the intestines. Excessive consumption of carbohydrates, particularly sugars, encourages candida infection. The adrenal glands regulate blood sugar. Sugars in the diet weaken the adrenal glands by causing large blood sugar fluctuations.

Sugar is the natural food for candida. Sugar and carbohydrate cravings may be candida organisms calling for dinner. When ëdeprivedí of carbohydrates, the yeast die, releasing toxic substances. These can cause unpleasant ëdie offí reactions that can draw one back to sugary foods to end the discomfort.

Many, many people overeat on carbohydrate foods. Besides the common foods such as starches and sugars, they include milk, fruit, juices and sweetened electrolyte drinks.

OTHER TOXIC SUBSTANCES

Excessive mercury often accompanies copper toxicity. Mercury can stimulate the thyroid which causes adrenal imbalance. Several years are needed to remove excess mercury. Cadmium is a highly toxic metal that interferes with zinc needed to balance copper and required for proper functioning of the adrenals. Cadmium also accumulates in the liver and can impair its ability to synthesize ceruloplasmin.

Lead toxicity interferes with calcium metabolism. This can slow the adrenals by altering the electrolyte balance. Toxic chemicals found in the home, air, water and food also accumulate in the liver, impairing its ability to produce ceruloplasmin.

IMPROPER BOWEL FLORA

Improper bowel flora is extremely common and often contributes to candida infections. Much of the problem is due to antibiotic use and constant ingestion of small doses of antibiotics found in drinking water and commercial animal products. Other toxic chemicals or additives in foods may also be a factor.

Low fiber in the diet, parasitic infections and stress also impair bowel activity. Debris in the intestines, often in pockets in the colon, also harbors bacteria that interfere with normal bowel flora. Constipation also aggravates candida infection. If one does not have a daily bowel movement, extra fiber, ox bile, pancreatin and magnesium will usually correct the problem. Herbal laxatives can be habit-forming.

One may, however, be constipated even if one has daily bowel movements. Food should pass through the intestines within 48 hours. When it is delayed, harmful organisms have more time to multiply and generate toxins. To test bowel transit time, eat some beets at one meal and note how long it takes for the red color to show up in the stool. Extra fiber and an improved diet will often decrease bowel transit time.

SUGAR ADDICTION

Alcohol produced by candida can contribute to fatigue, spaciness, impaired judgment, emotional problems and learning and behavior disorders in children. Some people notice they feel tired after eating sugar. Sugar feeds their candida which increases production of alcohol. Alcoholics are often addicted to sugar without understanding the connection.

Sugar addiction may occur because depriving candida of their sugar reduces alcohol production. This causes withdrawal symptoms including negative thoughts, anxiety, shakiness and fatigue. This drives many people back to sugar to enhance alcohol output. Hypoglycemia due to weak adrenals is another factor in sugar addiction.

IMPAIRED IMMUNE SYSTEM

Factors other than copper imbalance may also impair the bodyís immune system, reducing its ability to defend itself against candida and other intestinal infections. The most common causes are nutrient deficiencies and excesses of toxic metals or toxic chemicals.

CORRECTION - DIET

Dietary change is most important, especially minimizing all sweets including fruit juices. This includes reducing cookies, cakes, ice cream, pastries, honey, rice syrup and barley malt used in soy and rice drinks and other products. Stevia and artificial sweeteners are somewhat better as they do not contain sugars, though they present other problems. Stevia contains some lead, however. Reducing all sweetener use is best.

Reducing grains may be helpful, especially wheat and spelt, and at times rye, oats and barley. These foods include breads, pasta, deep-fried food, cream soups thickened with flour, crackers, cakes and cookies.

Reducing fruit is also helpful. Ripe fruit is best, as the sugars are more quickly absorbed. Avoid very sweet fruits such as dates, figs and dried fruit. Best fruits are apples, pears, peaches, berries, kiwi and other less sweet fruits.

Reduce dried beans such as pintos, lentils, black beans and peanuts. Peanut butter is very sweet and best avoided. Toasted almond, cashew or sunflower seed butters are much better.

Some candida books recommend eliminating all fermented foods such as cheese, wine, pickles and yeasted breads. This is usually unnecessary unless one is specifically allergic to all yeast. Candida albicans is very different from yeasts in bread, wine and cheese.

Milk and buttermilk are high in sugar. Soda pop, Kool-aid, fruit and vegetable juices and sweetened teas are best avoided. Unsweetened live-culture yogurt is good. Unsweetened tea, water or water with lemon are excellent.

Strict vegetarian diets are high in starch and tend to worsen candida. Diets low in protein can also make it worse. Natural meats, poultry, eggs, nuts and goat cheese may be eaten liberally.

The very strict diet in the yeast books is often unnecessary when combined with a nutritional supplement program to correct underlying causes. If one follows a strict candida diet, eat more fats and oils for calories or one will lose a lot of weight.

EATING HABITS

Humans have a limited ability to digest cellulose fiber in foods. Proper chewing breaks down fiber so that more can be digested. Insufficient chewing causes excessive fibrous material to remain that can feed candida. Eating in a hurry, in one's car, when working or when upset or anxious also impairs starch digestion and worsens candida.

LIFESTYLE

Lifestyle plays a critical role. Reducing stress rests the adrenal glands and helps improve copper metabolism. Plenty of rest and sleep are important, as lack of rest stresses the adrenal glands. Stimulant use such as caffeine or heavy exercise decimates the adrenal glands. Improving eating habits and positive emotions and attitudes reduce stress and promote healthy digestion. Deep breathing and good posture assist oxygenation of the body which inhibits candida.

ANTI-CANDIDA MEDICATION

Substances that control candida include grapefruit seed extract, tannic acid (Tanalbit), garlic and acidophilus. I am impressed with the use of lactobacillus plantarum, which digests protein as well as sugars. Other natural products are caprylic acid, other medium-chain fatty acids and echinacea. Some herbal preparations may be toxic. Anti-candida substances may not be needed if body chemistry is balanced with diet, excellent habits and lifestyle correction.

Prescription drugs for candida include Diflucan, Nystatin and Nizoril. These may be needed in emergencies, but are toxic for the liver. One should avoid them if possible. If more natural methods are not working and one needs drugs, remain on them no more than two weeks. Anti-fungal products are helpful, but are not the entire answer. They control symptoms but do not address underlying causes.

NUTRITIONAL BALANCING

Correcting slow metabolism, copper imbalance, weak adrenals and an over-alkaline body chemistry requires a hair mineral analysis. When performed and interpreted properly, it can assess body chemistry and guide recommendations for diet, supplements and detoxification procedures. The process can take several years and greatly improves general health.

Many times candida infection is just one of many imbalances contributing to poor health. It is often a symptom of deeper systemic problems that ought to be addressed. The advantage of a nutritional balancing program is it is not a symptomatic approach. It addresses many imbalances and deeper causes at the same time.

HOW LONG UNTIL I AM HEALTHY?

A better diet often leads to improvement in a few days to a week. Anti-candida medications also often work quickly. Permanently improving copper balance, eliminating toxic metals and enhancing the oxidation rate takes longer, up to several years. However, the time and effort are well worth it.

If one has taken antibiotics recently or took a lot in the past, more time is needed to remove residues stored in the liver and other organs. Do not be discouraged if results take longer.

Sauna therapy can significantly speed up correction of candida infection. It assists elimination of toxins, inhibits the sympathetic nervous system, improves circulation and oxygenation and directly disables candida organisms. The electric light sauna described in the last issue is an inexpensive way anyone can enjoy the great benefits of infrared sauna therapy. Sauna therapy is the finest method of eliminating unwanted organisms in the body.

The best results are achieved by combining an excellent diet and lifestyle with a nutrition program based on mineral analysis to correct underlying metabolic imbalances. Anti-candida supplements or medication may be helpful in long-standing and severe cases. With these methods, most candida can be permanently corrected. Books including The Yeast Syndrome and The Yeast Connection offer more in-depth information about candida albicans infections.

The connection between candidiasis and copper toxicity above intrigued me, so I looked further:
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

COPPER TOXICITY SYNDROME

by Lawrence Wilson, MD

Revised © April 2007

Do you know anyone who suffers from headaches, fatigue, insomnia, depression, skin rashes, spaciness or detachment, learning disorders or premenstrual syndrome? These can be symptoms of a copper imbalance. It is an extremely common nutritional imbalance, although it is often overlooked, in part because it is not always simple to detect.

Copper is an essential trace mineral that is vitally important for both physical and mental health. It has been studied for years, including at government laboratories. However, its importance for health is still largely unappreciated. The following article is an introduction to the large subject of copper imbalance. The author is deeply indebted to Dr. Paul C. Eck, an avid copper researcher.

COPPER'S ROLE IN THE BODY

Copper is critical for energy production in the cells. It is also involved in nerve conduction, connective tissue, the cardiovascular system and the immune system. Copper is closely related to estrogen metabolism, and is required for women's fertility and to maintain pregnancy. Copper stimulates production of the neurotransmitters epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine. It is also required for monoamine oxidase, an enzyme related to serotonin production.

THREE COPPER IMBALANCES

It is possible for a person to become copper-toxic, copper-deficient or to have a condition called biounavailable copper. In the latter, copper is present, but cannot be utilized. When copper is biounavailable, one may have symptoms of both copper toxicity and copper excess. This occurs because copper is present in excess in certain organs and tissues of the body, but is not usable in other key areas. Biounavailability often occurs due to a deficiency of the copper-binding proteins, ceruloplasmin or metallothionein. Without sufficient binding proteins, unbound copper may circulate freely in the body, where it may accumulate primarily in the liver, brain and female organs.

Copper toxicity and biounavailability are seen most often. These occur almost always in people who are in a state called slow oxidation. Copper deficiency occurs most often in people who are in the state called fast oxidation. This article uses the words copper imbalance when more than one of the three types of copper problems are possible.

DETECTING COPPER IMBALANCE

Blood, urine, feces and hair testing are used to detect copper imbalance. Liver biopsy is also used on rare occasions. Let us examine each method from my experience.

Serum copper levels are not considered a reliable way to detect copper imbalance because copper may not accumulate in the blood. Serum ceruloplasmin may be more accurate.

Simple urine testing is also inaccurate because copper is stored deep in organs such as the brain and liver. Urine challenge testing with penicillamine, a strong copper chelator, is much better. With this procedure, one first gives a dose of penicillamine and then collects the urine for 24 hours. However, this still will miss much copper that is stored deep within body organs and tissues. Chelating agents primarily remove minerals from the blood and arterial walls.

Liver biopsy for copper is accurate, but costly, invasive and in my experience unnecessary except perhaps in rare cases of Wilson’s disease.

Hair is not a primary site of copper deposition. However, if one knows how to interpret the hair analysis, one can often rapidly and non-invasively assess copper status.

COPPER ASSESSMENT VIA HAIR MINERAL ANALYSIS

The following is accurate in my experience, based mainly on symptom correlation. Hair must not be washed at the laboratory for accurate results. See the article entitled Hair Analysis Controversy in regards to washing of the hair at the laboratory.

Assessing Low Copper. Following are hair indicators for a need for copper supplementation:
1) A fast oxidation rate. This is identified for you on tests from Analytical Research Laboratories. The criteria are a calcium/potassium ratio less than 4:1 and a sodium/magnesium ratio greater than 4.17;1.
2) When the sodium/potassium ratio is less than about 2.2-2.5:1, one often needs copper in some amount. Copper may be low or biounavailable.

Assessing Biounavailable Copper. When copper is present in excess, often it is biounavailable as well. This may give rise to a combination of symptoms of toxicity and deficiency. Primary indicators of biounavailability include:
1) A copper level less than 1.0 in a slow oxidizer.
2) A sodium/potassium ratio less than about 2.5:1.

Assessing Copper Toxicity. Indicators include:
Slow oxidation. Most slow oxidizers have copper toxicity and often biounavailable copper. Slow oxidation is indicated on hair analyses from Analytical Research Labs and Trace Elements, Inc. The basic criteria for it are a calcium/potassium ratio greater than 4:1 and a sodium/magnesium ratio less than 4.17:1. Calcium/phosphorus ratio above 2.5 is also used at times to assess a slow oxidation rate.

More definite indicators in conjunction with slow oxidation are:
a. calcium /potassium ratio greater than 10:1.
b. zinc less than about 12
c: zinc/copper ratio less than about 6.
d: sodium/potassium ratio less than about 2:1. This is specifically an indicator for biounavailable copper.
e. copper level less than 1.0 mg%. This is specifically an indicator for biounavailable copper.

Indicators for copper toxicity that may be seen in both fast and slow oxidizers include:
1) A calcium level greater than about 120 mg%.
2) A potassium level less than about 4 mg%.
3) A mercury level of greater than 0.06 mg%. In the book I co-authored with Dr. Paul Eck, entitled Toxic Metals in Human Health and Disease (1989), we wrote that the mercury level needs to be 0.4 mg% for hidden copper to be present. I now believe the level is closer to 0.05-0.06.

CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH COPPER IMBALANCE

Physical conditions associated with copper imbalance include arthritis, fatigue, adrenal burnout, insomnia, scoliosis, osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer, migraine headaches, seizures, fungal and bacterial infections including yeast infection, gum disease, tooth decay, skin and hair problems and female organ conditions including uterine fibroids, endometriosis and others.

Mental and emotional disorders related to copper imbalance include spaciness, depression, mood swings, fears, anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, violence, autism, schizophrenia, and attention deficit disorder. Copper deficiency is associated with aneurysms, gout, anemia and osteoporosis. Interestingly, the symptoms of premenstrual tension are identical to the symptoms of copper imbalance.

SOURCES OF COPPER

Today, many children are born with excessive tissue copper. It is passed from high-copper mothers to their children through the placenta.

Stress from any cause contributes to copper imbalance. Stress depletes the adrenal glands and lowers the zinc level in the body. Whenever zinc becomes deficient, copper tends to accumulate. Our soil is low in zinc. Refined sugar, white rice and white flour have been stripped of their zinc. The trend toward vegetarianism reduces zinc in the diet, since red meat is the best dietary source of zinc.

Copper is found in many foods, particularly vegetarian proteins such as nuts, beans, seeds and grains. Meats contain copper, but it is balanced by zinc which competes for its absorption. Chocolate is high in copper. A desire for copper may help explain chocolate cravings.

Another source of copper is drinking water that remained in copper water pipes, or copper added to your water supply. During a recent dry summer, several Oregon cities added copper sulfate to their reservoirs to reduce algae growth. Accident and disease rates increased.

Other sources of copper are copper cookware, dental materials, vitamin pills, fungicides and pesticides residues on food, copper intra-uterine devices and birth control pills. Mrs. Robinson and her 6-month-old, breast-fed baby both began to experience hair loss. The cause was a daily prenatal vitamin containing 4 milligrams of copper, far too much for this high-copper mother. Deficiencies of manganese, iron, B-vitamins and vitamin C can cause copper to accumulate. Adrenal hormones cause the liver to produce ceruloplasmin, the main copper binding protein in the body. Therefore, a sluggish liver or weak adrenal glands may cause copper to build up in the tissues.

THE COPPER PERSONALITY

There exists a high copper personality. Positive traits include a warm, caring, sensitive, emotional nature, often with artistic orientation and a child-like quality. Often high-copper people are young-looking. Many traditionally feminine traits are associated with copper such as softness, gentleness and intuitiveness. This may relate to the qualities of metallic copper, which include softness, malleability and an excellent conductor of electricity.

When the personality is not fully integrated or the copper becomes too high, negative traits show up. These include spaciness, racing thoughts, living in a dream world, naiveté, childishness, excessive emotions, sentimentality, a tendency to depression, fearfulness, hidden anger and resentments, phobias, psychosis and violence. Artists, inventors and other high-copper types often "live on the edge", in part due to their high copper level.

The copper personality tends to accumulate copper easily. Copper can function as a psychological defense mechanism. It causes one to detach slightly from reality. This provides relief from stress for the sensitive individual. It works well as long as the copper does not become too high. Very high copper can cause a psychotic break from reality, a type of schizophrenia.

An 18-year old schizophrenic patient had a hair copper level of 41 mg% (normal is 2.5 mg%). She hallucinated and attempted suicide twice while in the Scottsdale Camelback Mental Hospital. When her copper was brought back into the normal range with a nutritional balancing program, her symptoms disappeared and she has remained well ever since. This case is described on page 224 of Nutritional Balancing and Hair Mineral Analysis. No chemical chelators were used.

COPPER AND SOCIETY

Is it possible that our mineral balance affects our attitudes? Copper is called the 'psychic' mineral, the 'intuitive' mineral, and a 'feminine' mineral because it is so important for the female reproductive system. Its level generally parallels that of estrogen. While many factors influence our attitudes and values, the rise in tissue copper levels in both men and women in the past twenty years parallels renewed interest in feminism, in psychic and intuitive knowledge, and 'nurturing' movements such as environmentalism.

COPPER AND SEXUALITY

Women tend to have higher levels of copper than men. Women also have more symptoms related to copper imbalance. These include yeast infections, migraine headaches, adult acne, various menstrual symptoms and depression.

Copper-toxic women are often estrogen dominant. They may benefit from progesterone therapy to help balance their hormones. Women with biounavailable copper are often low in estrogen. Their bodies are often more linear in shape. Of course, copper is not the only factor affecting hormones. Some pesticides, for example, mimic the effects of estrogen and can affect the hormone balance.

Men, by contrast, should be zinc-dominant. Zinc, a 'masculine' element, balances copper in the body, and is essential for male reproductive activity. Today, however, many men have symptoms of copper toxicity including depression, anxiety and other symptoms. Homosexuality may be related to copper levels. This is because secondary sex characteristics are greatly influenced by hormones which are in turn influenced by copper and zinc levels.

COPPER AND CHILDREN

Children are born with high copper levels. Young children are very sensitive and intuitive. They often lose some of their sensitivity and 'psychic abilities' as their copper levels diminish around age four.

However, today persistently elevated copper levels in children are commonly seen. At times, the copper is hidden. This is disuc The problem often begins during gestation, when high-copper mothers pass on excessive copper (and often low zinc) to the fetus through the placenta. This is called congenital, rather than genetic high copper. It can be prevented by correcting one's copper metabolism before becoming pregnant. After birth, poor nutrition, stress in the home, and overuse of prescription drugs can aggravate a child's copper imbalance.

Copper imbalance in children is associated with delayed development, attention deficit disorder, anti-social and hyperactive behavior, autism, learning difficulties and infections such as ear infections.

VEGETARIAN DIETS

Excess copper interferes with zinc, a mineral needed to make digestive enzymes. Too much copper also impairs thyroid activity and the functioning of the liver. If severe enough, a person will become an obligatory vegetarian. This means they are no longer able to digest meat very well. Conversely, if one becomes a vegetarian for other reasons, most likely one's copper level will increase. Vegetarian proteins are higher in copper, and lower in zinc.

At times, the vegetarian orientation is health-producing. In many people, however, restricted diets do not work well. Fatigue, spaciness and other symptoms begin to appear. Many people, including the author, felt they were becoming more spiritual on a vegetarian diet, when in fact it was just copper poisoning! The taste for meat often returns when copper is brought into better balance.

Some people with high copper dislike all protein. They crave high-carbohydrate diets. Protein feels heavy or causes other symptoms. Eating protein stimulates glandular activity. This releases stored copper which causes the symptoms. However, these individuals usually need to eat protein. The symptoms will eventually disappear.

Copper-toxic individuals may also be drawn to sweets or salty foods due to adrenal insufficiency. Some sea salt is often beneficial. Sweets, including fruit juices, provide a temporary lift but may worsen the condition.

ADRENAL BURNOUT OR HYPOFUNCTION

Adrenal burnout, characterized by chronic fatigue and other symptoms, is often related to copper imbalance. Although correcting emotional and other factors are necessary, improving the copper imbalance, supporting the adrenals and releasing fearful thoughts go hand in hand to restore optimum health. Click here for more information about adrenal burnout syndrome.

COPPER AND ADDICTION

Compulsive behavior may be related to copper and the adrenals. Exercise, for example, stimulates the adrenals. This helps keep copper available and makes one feel better. If one stops exercising, unbound copper builds up and one may feel fatigue, mood swings and depression. In some people, this can create a compulsive need to exercise. Other ways to temporarily control copper toxicity include the use of caffeine or other stimulants.

Part of the appeal of cocaine, Ritalin and amphetamines may be their ability to help lower copper temporarily by stimulating the adrenals. Cadmium found in marijuana and cigarettes drives copper back into storage. These drugs may make one feel better by affecting the copper balance.

COPPER AND YEAST INFECTIONS

Our bodies use copper to help control the growth of yeast. This may be because copper favors aerobic metabolism. Copper is required for the electron transport system, where most of our cellular energy is produced. Yeast organisms use anaerobic metabolism.

Copper sulfate is often sprayed on crops to kill yeast and fungus. Copper is also used in some swimming pools and hot tubs to control yeast and bacterial growth.

When copper is out of balance, our bodies cannot control yeast overgrowth. This often lead to chronic candida albicans infections that are resistant to treatment.

COPPER AND CANCER

Copper imbalance impairs the immune system. Research is underway investigating the role of excess copper in tumor angiogenesis. Elevated copper on a hair mineral analysis, when the level is above about 12 mg% and persists at this level, is often related to a tendency for infections and even cancer.

COPPER AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE

Copper is required for collagen formation. Copper deficiency is association with atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular conditions. Excess copper or biounavailable copper often cause connective tissue problems, interfering with the disulfide bonds in connective tissue. Symptoms may include stretch marks, tendon and ligament weakness, mitral valve prolapse, skin and hair problems and other conditions affecting connective tissue.

BALANCING COPPER

The author dealt with severe copper imbalance in himself and with many others for the past 29 years. Seven methods can be used at the same time to reduce copper in the tissues and are described below. In most cases, however, restoring adequate adrenal gland activity is even more important than applying these methods. Therefore, this section is divided into method to reduce toxic levels of copper and methods for improving the activity of the adrenal glands.

Reducing Copper In The Tissues.

At least several of the following methods should be used at the same time for best results. This is often overlooked, leading to temporary or incomplete restoration of health.

1) Inhibit the sympathetic nervous system. This is easier said than done. Copper toxic individuals often complain of their mind racing. Turning off the sympathetic or fight-or-flight nervous system can be a challenge. Methods that are helpful include electric light sauna therapy, meditation, relaxation techniques, deep breathing, supplemental calcium, magnesium, ox bile, pancreatin, kidney glandular and coffee enemas.

2) Reduce exposure to sources of copper like copper intra-uterine devices, swimming in pools and high-copper vegetarian diets.

3) Antagonists such as zinc, manganese and iron compete with copper for absorption and utilization. Other antagonists include vitamins B6, folic acid and selenium. Research indicates copper may be excreted by binding with glutathione and metallothionine which require these nutrients.

4) Chelators of copper include many natural substances. Among the best known are vitamin C, molybdenum and sulfur-containing amino acids. These bind to copper and help remove it from the body. Synthetic chelators may be used, but can have harmful side effects. The most common one is penicillamine, sold under the names Cupramine or Depen. This toxic method has been around for years. It is not often recommended due to side effects that can include kidney damage, blurred vision, B6 deficiency, ringing in the ears, ulcers, jaundice and other liver damage, abdominal pain, bloody urine and more.

5) Enhance the eliminative organs, such as the liver, skin and colon. Digestive enzymes, especially pancreatin, are very important. Also excellent is sauna therapy, especially with an infrared electric light sauna. Other methods of enhancing the eliminative organs are coffee enemas, colonic irrigation and skin brushing.

6) Balance body chemistry, enhance energy production and improve adrenal gland activity. To support the adrenal glands, avoid sweets, eat protein with each meal. Supplements that assist the adrenals include vitamins A,C and E, manganese, zinc, adrenal glandular and B-complex vitamins. Animal protein is very helpful due to its higher content of zinc, B-vitamins and sulfur amino acids including cysteine and taurine. Adrenal glandular substance is also frequently helpful.

7) Reduce fear and stress. Methods range from a change in location or work to meditation, therapy, more rest and other changes.

Note that just taking copper antagonists and chelators may not work very well. This is because these, of themselves, do not assist to rebalance body chemistry. In fact, they can make the overall balance of the electrolytes worse. This is why a complete program of balancing body chemistry with nutritional balancing science is far preferable. I will assist any practitioner who wishes to learn about this method of copper removal.

For example, zinc, often used to correct a high copper, lower the hair sodium level. Molybdenum, another excellent copper antagonist and chelator, raises sodium. Vitamin C, when used in high doses, tends to cause other imbalances because it can remove other metals besides copper.

Each vitamin and mineral affects overall body chemistry. For best results, I strongly recommend an integrated nutrition, lifestyle and detoxification program based on a properly performed and interpreted hair mineral analysis. It is worth the extra time, cost and energy to get better results. It can also avoid the purchase of unnecessary and costly supplements and other problems that come from their use. Also, be careful with chelating methods, including natural products such as Metal Free, NDF and others. These are fine for a short period of time but may remove other critical minerals from the body. This may cause long-term difficulties in some instances.

Adrenal Gland Restoration.

Restoring the adrenal glands is often absolutely necessary to prevent copper from accumulating over and over again in the body. This is because the adrenal glands signal the liver to produce ceruloplasmin, the principal copper binding agent in the body, along with metallothionein. To restore the adrenal glands, the following methods may be extremely helpful and necessary in many instances.

1. Rest is number one. Get at least 11 hours of sleep daily. This may be broken into night time plus a nap or two. A year of more of extra rest is often needed.

2. supplements that support the adrenal glands include vitamin C, vitamin B5 and other B-complex vitamins, zinc, manganese, selenium and others. Adrenal glandular substance from a bovine source is also helpful for many. Inhibiting the sympathetic nervous system, as discussed above, can be critical for adrenal recovery. Using the adrenals all day can prevent their recovery. Other methods are discussed below. We do not use or endorse these methods for various reasons that are mentioned below.

Homeopathic adrenal may be helpful in a few cases but is not our preferred method. Herbs such as ginseng, licorice, even caffeinated beverages are often given, but these can stimulate or replace cortisol and are not our preferred methods for these reasons. Hormones such as DHEA, pregnenalone, testosterone, progesterone and cortisone or cortisol in low doses may be given for a period of time. I do not like these methods and have seen many problems with them. They will, however, give temporary relief as they replace adrenal hormone production.

COPPER DETOXIFICATION SYMPTOMS

One of the difficulties in reducing excess copper are symptoms that arise during the process of elimination. As the body begins to mobilize excess copper from tissue storage sites, it enters the bloodstream on its way to the liver and kidneys for elimination. While in the bloodstream, the copper can cause headaches, skin rashes, racing thoughts, strange odors, digestive upset, mood swings and energy fluctuations. In men, testicular pain is not uncommon. Women’s periods may be affected.

Certain methods of lowering copper cause these symptoms more than others. Zinc, vitamin C and manganese tend to cause more symptoms, perhaps because zinc and manganese replace copper in the liver. Molybdenum and sulfur compounds such as Russian black radish tend not to produce copper elimination effects.

If one knows what is occurring, it is possible to take measures to minimize these temporary elimination symptoms. Enemas, sweating, and drinking more water can help promote copper elimination. Reducing the nutrition program for a few days may also help slow the reactions and reduce symptoms if they are severe. Supplements of molybdenum, bile acids, laxative herbs and vitamin B6 may also mitigate elimination symptoms. A more complete article on copper elimination is available by clicking here. An excellent copper toxicity case history is available by clicking here.

ATTITUDES TO HELP BALANCE COPPER

Adequate rest and sleep are important. Any technique to help handle stress is also helpful. A simple but powerful technique for handling all negative emotions is given in an excellent book, Emissary of Light, by James Twyman. He suggests to feel our negative emotions purely, dissociating them from thoughts. Feel them in the body. Then move the feeling to the heart area, visualize a small door just in front of you, open the door and release the emotion. Realize that all feelings are just energies. They can be transmuted, sent forth and used for good.

High copper people are often sensitive, must acknowledge this and 'live their own truth'. At the same time, a careful look at one's attitudes, especially hidden fears, angers and resentments, is very important. Overcoming copper imbalance often involves overcoming deep fears.

Life is not always easy for the copper-toxic person. One can become resentful or depressed at times. With understanding, a complete nutritional balancing program based on hair mineral analysis and lots of compassion for oneself, these obstacles can be overcome. Then the creative, intuitive and loving qualities of the high-copper individual can shine through to the world.

Resources

1. Eck, P. and Wilson, L., Toxic Metals in Human Health and Disease, Eck Institute of Applied Nutrition and Bioenergetics, Ltd., Phoenix, AZ, 1989.
2. Gittleman, A.L., Why Am I Always So Tired?, Harper San Francisco, 1999.
3. Nolan, K., "Copper Toxicity Syndrome", J. Orthomolecular Psychiatry, 12:4, p.270-282.
4. Pfeiffer, C., Mental and Elemental Nutrients, Keats Publishing, New Canaan, CT., 1975.
5. Wilson, L., Nutritional Balancing and Hair Mineral Analysis, L.D. Wilson Consultants, 2005.
6. Wilson, L., Sauna Therapy, L.D.Wilson Consultants, Inc., 2006.
7. Many technical articles on the sources, symptoms and correction of copper imbalance are available on the world wide web. They are too numerous to list here. The books and articles mentioned above contain more complete references.

I wanted to mention one more thing that is relevant to Candida: dental health. My Candida problems exacerbated when I had a root canal done that failed. Any root canal is said to be a potential health hazard (see a book by George Meinig, "A Root Canal Cover-up", here is a brief account of what it's about: \\http://curezone.com/dental/root_canal.asp). He says in a book that about 30% of people with robust health do quite fine with root canals, but the other folks eventually succumb to the load of infection that any root canal filled tooth harbors (that includes teeth that are visibly fine and don't cause pain).

I guess that what we are seeing is that there is no "one size fits all" case of candidiasis nor solution to same.

I would really like to get clear on the beans/legumes issue since some "experts" say you CAN eat them and others say don't touch them while taking the cure.

Dried beans are a major part of my diet - lentils, black-eyed peas, red beans, etc - and I have no idea what to replace them with.

I have stumbled upon this copper material a few months ago when I was researching skin hyper-pigmentation issues (age spots \ melasma). Melasma is directly related to estrogen dominance, and estrogen dominance is connected to copper imbalance, because copper is key in estrogen metabolism. So I see how candida will be related to copper, especially in women. Candida is worse in high estrogen environment, which may explain why I had my very worst time with Candida while I was pregnant.

Beans are high in copper, hence the recommendation to restrict them for candida sufferers. Nuts, in addition to that, may harbor fungal spores due to storage conditions, and therefore are also to be cautious with.

The key with copper though - correct me if I am wrong -- is not to eliminate it from the diet, but to kick it up into the utilization and elimination cycle. And I think if one is doing detoxes and fasts regularly, takes the recommended supplements (vit C \ zink \ manganese \ magnesium), supports the liver, uses a sauna and sticks to basically a healthy, whole food diet with enough animal protein and fresh fruit and vegetable juices, it would already go a long way towards that.

To attack candida specifically, the no sugar\no white flour\no fermented foods\more probiotics is still a major weapon. If one can also, on top of that and the other measures above, avoid the beans, then it may help. But I think if one can't it's not a major deal.

all imo

Back
Top Bottom