Candida- The Silent Epidemic

I just started to look into series of videos on YT by this McCombs guy and so far it is really insightful imo.
Have a look.

__http://www.youtube.com/user/McCombsPlan#p

I've been on the candida diet for a week now, and so far I have haven't had a single die off symptoms (so far). This is being a relief after having read so many scary die off accounts.

However, I think that I have made a couple of silly mistakes in my last shopping trip and looking back now, I'm slapping my forehead and exclaiming: doh!...
So my questions are, are parsnips ok if eaten with moderation? And what about cassava? I have eaten parsnips yesterday and the day before, and am now tinking that maybe that's just food for candida :( I have also bought a lot of cassava that I have not yet eaten. I don't know what I was thinking really, cassava seems to be so starchy...

Gertrudes said:
So my questions are, are parsnips ok if eaten with moderation? And what about cassava? I have eaten parsnips yesterday and the day before, and am now tinking that maybe that's just food for candida :( I have also bought a lot of cassava that I have not yet eaten. I don't know what I was thinking really, cassava seems to be so starchy...

Parsnips (and carrots) and cassava are root vegetables that are very high in starchy sugars! :( In moderation normally, and forbidden during a Candida detox I would think. :evil:

Trevrizent said:
Parsnips (and carrots) and cassava are root vegetables that are very high in starchy sugars! :( In moderation normally, and forbidden during a Candida detox I would think. :evil:

So I thought.....what was I thinking of?? :huh:

I'm going to steam all of it and then freeze it, that way I can at least conserve them for a couple of weeks.
As far as I understand though, swede is not starchy (please correct me if wrong), so I think I'll keep it in the fridge for now.

Gertrudes said:
Trevrizent said:

So I thought.....what was I thinking of?? :huh:

Thanks for asking about this, Gertrudes. I've been eating parsnips for every vegetable meal. I've also recently eaten raw carrots. I should've known.

Today is my sixth day on the anti candida diet. Before I went on it I had cut out fruit for some weeks. And about a week or two before starting I cut out sweet potatoes, carrots, and winter squash, which I had every meal with other mixed veggies.

I am not having any reactions and seem to be fine. I'm still taking the flax meal and hemp powder, which is about 4 grams of carbs. Also I got a probiotic with 50 billion bacteria, but it has FOS in it. It seems that it wasn't certain whether the FOS would feed candida, and I figured that the many good bacteria in the pill would outweigh it if it did. So I'm wondering if my "ultra shake" and the probiotic are feeding it still, or maybe I didn't have much of a problem?

Hi 3D Student

3D Student said:
Today is my sixth day on the anti candida diet. Before I went on it I had cut out fruit for some weeks. And about a week or two before starting I cut out sweet potatoes, carrots, and winter squash, which I had every meal with other mixed veggies.

I am not having any reactions and seem to be fine. I'm still taking the flax meal and hemp powder, which is about 4 grams of carbs. Also I got a probiotic with 50 billion bacteria, but it has FOS in it. It seems that it wasn't certain whether the FOS would feed candida, and I figured that the many good bacteria in the pill would outweigh it if it did. So I'm wondering if my "ultra shake" and the probiotic are feeding it still, or maybe I didn't have much of a problem?

My understanding is that if you go on the anti-candida diet, it is only effective if you are also taking something to fight/kill the candida. Starving it won't be enough to get rid of it on its own.
You could go for just probiotics and a high dose (at least 1g per meal if memory serves me) of caprylic acid if you think its nothing serious (if you get die off symptoms from the caprylic acid, you may want to consider something stronger), or go down the nystatin or stronger herbal route (i.e. enteric coated oregano oil - which will kill some good gut bacteria too) to make certain there is nothing left.

Psyche said:
HifromGrace said:
What about (non-gluten) grain preparation, which is called fermenting, [...]

Or is this more of a gluten and/or lectin issue (see below)? Or is this just unrelated to Candida, and only about Detox Diets? [...]

This fermenting is "pre-digesting" that saves trouble for our digestive systems. It is related to "neutralizing" lectins, thus with the detox diet, and not to candida diets.

Happy fermenting :)

For the anti-candida diet, I prefer to stay away from all yeast, except for those which are anti-candida. But you can try including sauerkraut and pickles, if your recipe is sugar free :)

What about probiotic culture of Tibicos; water kefir grains, sugar kefir grains, Japanese water crystals or "water mushroom tonic?" My parents are using these tonic as additional supplement to their Mediterranean diet, with nice results, sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure normalized from the time they commenced with daily tonic usage 3 months ago). As well, my mother problem with gastritis diminished. I'm a bit reluctant, actually would like to know how this product fit in our diet?

Thanks in advance :)

RedFox said:
Hi 3D Student

3D Student said:

My understanding is that if you go on the anti-candida diet, it is only effective if you are also taking something to fight/kill the candida. Starving it won't be enough to get rid of it on its own.
You could go for just probiotics and a high dose (at least 1g per meal if memory serves me) of caprylic acid if you think its nothing serious (if you get die off symptoms from the caprylic acid, you may want to consider something stronger), or go down the nystatin or stronger herbal route (i.e. enteric coated oregano oil - which will kill some good gut bacteria too) to make certain there is nothing left.

I've had great success with taking Saccharomyces Boulardii, as recommended in SyndeyMacDonald's book. It's the famous yeast fighting yeast... :)

I'm at the end of my third week of the Candida diet and am unsure of how to proceed. Would be grateful for any advise or tips on the following:

When I first ordered Nystatin, I received a message from the company to let me know that they didn't have enough in stock, so I was sent only enough to actually get me through the program for 4 weeks. Because It took more then a month for the Nystatin to arrive, I decided not to order again but do the diet, see how it goes, and after those 4 weeks order, if necessary, caprylic acid or any other natural anti fungal from iherb, which would only take 2 or 3 days to arrive.

Psyche has previously said:

In general, you stop nystatin one month after symptoms disappear. But if you have done the detox diet and have no symptoms, then you can do 4 weeks of nystatin.

Initially I thought that I had no symptoms but now, looking back, a very mild tiredness and irritability I felt over the first couple of days which I had attributed to lack of sleep, I am now convinced were candida die off symptoms. With this in mind, and considering that I had no other symptoms apart from that very mild tiredness of the first 2 days, should I stop after the 4th week when my nystatin finishes, or should I order some more anti fungals and continue for longer?

Thanks in advance.

You can stop when your nystatin finishes. 2 week protocols seems what Dr. Hyman is recommending from his experience. Other practitioners who treat yeast overgrowth had recommended much longer periods (even months). But if you have no significant symptoms, 4 weeks is reasonable.

Psyche said:
You can stop when your nystatin finishes. 2 week protocols seems what Dr. Hyman is recommending from his experience. Other practitioners who treat yeast overgrowth had recommended much longer periods (even months). But if you have no significant symptoms, 4 weeks is reasonable.

Oh great! One week to go and I can eat all the sweet potato I want!

Thank you as usual Psyche :flowers:

RedFox said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm taking this bitter pollen-looking Nystatin stuff. :P

Gertrudes said:
Initially I thought that I had no symptoms but now, looking back, a very mild tiredness and irritability I felt over the first couple of days which I had attributed to lack of sleep, I am now convinced were candida die off symptoms.

Actually, tiredness and fatigue were the only things I experienced in the first few days. But I have been waking up earlier and tried doing two meals a day to get in the doses, which was too little food.

Gertrudes said:
Oh great! One week to go and I can eat all the sweet potato I want!

I've actually been thinking already about baking LOL! Maybe that's a symptom too. Meat and a little veggies is ok, but it gets boring after a while. The only sweet thing I'm eating is stevia with my vitamin c.

But I wonder, would you really eat all the sweet potatoes you want? Because if you just killed it off, what would be the use of having it grow back and then have to redo the diet? I was having sweet potatoes and carrots everyday and it doesn't seem like I really had too much of a problem. Perhaps you can do "candida fasts" every few weeks where you don't feed it.

3D Student said:
I've actually been thinking already about baking LOL! Maybe that's a symptom too. Meat and a little veggies is ok, but it gets boring after a while. The only sweet thing I'm eating is stevia with my vitamin c.

I decided to cut out on any and all sweet (including xylitol) so as to not awaken a sweet tooth. I no longer find myself wanting sweet things actually, and feel satisfied with the sweetness I can now taste in cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower stalk.
I do miss sweet potato though, it used to be a handy snack for me. Now I have been eating nuts, coconut and avocados as a snack, which is fine since I love each of them, but would like some more variety. I might start frying some bacon :)

3D Student said:
But I wonder, would you really eat all the sweet potatoes you want? Because if you just killed it off, what would be the use of having it grow back and then have to redo the diet? I was having sweet potatoes and carrots everyday and it doesn't seem like I really had too much of a problem. Perhaps you can do "candida fasts" every few weeks where you don't feed it.

No, I probably won't :) That was more of a way of exclaiming that I missed them.

I may be wrong, particularly since I have nothing in specific to back this up, but as I understood it, Candida tends to overgrow nowadays due to the extremely poor diet and drug consume we have all been subjected to: antibiotics, dairy, gluten, refined sugar, alcohol and all the refined and ultra processed food.
Candida does feed from sweet things and if I'm not mistaken, some carbohydrates, but it is still a yeast that is naturally present in our gut. The problem is when it is bombarded with the poisons we eat consistently and that is what seems to make it grow out of proportion. I'm under the impression that eating sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, and other foods alike regularly won't be a problem if you are not a candidiasis (candida overgrowth) sufferer.
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom