Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

SeekinTruth said:
Yeah, it's quite safe to use a pressure canner. Just read the instructions thoroughly, if you're not familiar, and make sure you understand everything and all parts involved. Then can away. It's pretty easy, especially after you've done a few batches, it all just goes like clockwork.
naorma said:
nicklebleu said:
naorma said:
To be honest I am a little afraid of that thing - just in case it could explode - but I read that a lot of people are able to do it and I think I have to give it a try.

Modern pressure canners are pretty fool-proof - they don't explode, because they have several safte features built in: once the canner is under pressure it self-locks and it is not possible to pry it open even with force; a second locking mechanism in the handle; safety vales etc. The only really bad thing you can do is to let it run dry and continue heating it at full blast. The rubber seal is able to withstand quite high temperatures, but eventually it will let go and the residual steam might come out. This will however most likely just depressurise the canner, but it will be wrecked and ruined.

Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

Thanks!!!! :flowers:

Yep. Follow the instructions. Just be careful not to open the canner too soon after you're finished. It should be cool before you go to open it. You don't want any steam burns. :/

To get your feet wet you may want to run a test batch with meat you don't really care about just to get comfortable and get the technique down pat.

One way to make sure it is cool is to run cold water over the top of the canner. However you need to be careful with this, as you don't want to depressurise the canner too quickly, as this might destroy its content (it's not dangerous, but might break glasses you have inside for canning).

So what I usually do is just let the canner cool down on its own and then, before I open it, run some cold water over its top just to make sure there is no more extra pressure inside.

Hope that helps.

nicklebleu said:
One way to make sure it is cool is to run cold water over the top of the canner. However you need to be careful with this, as you don't want to depressurise the canner too quickly, as this might destroy its content (it's not dangerous, but might break glasses you have inside for canning).

So what I usually do is just let the canner cool down on its own and then, before I open it, run some cold water over its top just to make sure there is no more extra pressure inside.

Hope that helps.

If canning late in the day/evening, after letting the canner do it's thing for whatever amount of time, we'll just let it sit and cool til morning. Then there's no pressure in canner to worry about, take the jars out and clean the jars with soapy water ( with sealed contents inside), if there are ring bands, I usually take them off and re-use them next time. Test all the jars for seal by pushing in on the lid. If it springs back it didn't seal. I know in some countries the lids are different. :)

Also, my canner has a valve that falls down (flat on the lid instead of sticking up when pressure builds up) when there's no more pressure in it. But even then, sometimes there's still some steam for about 15 minutes after the valve drops when opening, so should still be careful. I just open it and quickly tilt the lid away from me carefully if I don't have extra time to wait for it to cool down further to avoid the steam coming up at me.

Thanks for finding these canning lids Gaby! They are the only ones that I can find that are affordable and suitable for canning meat. The ones we previously bought were only for fruit/jams and pickles :huh:

http://www.tapasrioja.es/tapas/166-rts-esterilizable-82mm.html

I have just tried to order 200 of these lids and it says that they deliver to the UK. Although after typing in my address it comes up with the message : "There are no carriers that can currently deliver to this location".

Are there any Spanish members who would be willing to receive the package of lids and send them to the UK? Whatever the shipping costs we would be able to pay via paypal or bank transfer - it would be entirely up to whoever sent the package. And if there are any other UK members who are unable to purchase lids maybe something can be worked out as well.

If there is anyone who would be willing to do this, or can suggest any other option it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Keyhole said:
Thanks for finding these canning lids Gaby! They are the only ones that I can find that are affordable and suitable for canning meat. The ones we previously bought were only for fruit/jams and pickles :huh:

http://www.tapasrioja.es/tapas/166-rts-esterilizable-82mm.html

I have just tried to order 200 of these lids and it says that they deliver to the UK. Although after typing in my address it comes up with the message : "There are no carriers that can currently deliver to this location".

Are there any Spanish members who would be willing to receive the package of lids and send them to the UK? Whatever the shipping costs we would be able to pay via paypal or bank transfer - it would be entirely up to whoever sent the package. And if there are any other UK members who are unable to purchase lids maybe something can be worked out as well.

If there is anyone who would be willing to do this, or can suggest any other option it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

When I was doing my research, I stumbled upon an European source which shipped internationally. In the end, I found this Spanish site. I can't find it anymore though.

If you are sure the lids will fit your jars, then I could do you the favor.

In the time being, you can check these sites for the UK:

_https://www.etsy.com/market/ball_lid

_http://stuccu.com/s/Bulk+Canning+Jar+Lids-MbSLsTI-Buy-Exclusive-Deals-70-OFF-Save-Big-Lowest-Price-On-Bulk-Canning-Jar-Lids-Best-In-Stock-Fast-Free-Shipping?mt=b&keyword=bulk%20canning%20jar%20lids&ap=1t2&cid=68321520121&caid=54e3b10ab1b1c614a4cb6c6b&netid=1&network=g&aaid=54e3b10ab1b1c614a4cb6c6d&gclid=CPiUtefTrcQCFSzKtAodGFkA5Q

Perhaps others in the UK can clarify where did they get their lids and jars.

Thanks again for those links. I have just trawled through and it seems as though they are all geared up for ball mason jars. I am not sure that the jars we have are suitable for those lids, however from looking at the previous posts on this thread it does seem that the one-piece sterilized lids would work. We have these ones:

http://www.bouteilles-et-bocaux.com/shop/Pots-de-confiture-et-bocaux/1065ml-pot-rond-avec-twist-off-82.html

It says they are 82mm and I have measured them just to check. So I can imagine that the 82mm ones from tapasrioja would fit. It seems like it is so much harder to acquire canning jars in the UK than the US or in Europe

Keyhole said:
http://www.bouteilles-et-bocaux.com/shop/Pots-de-confiture-et-bocaux/1065ml-pot-rond-avec-twist-off-82.html

That was the website, yes. If the one from Spain is still cheaper, then I can help you with shipping. You can send me a PM and we'll arrange shipping to the UK. The lids are very light, so I don't think it would be to expensive to ship them. Hopefully you'll be able to do some canning ASAP. :)

Hi! I'm half way through the topic here and its very helpful. By this time you guys must be old pros and eaten your stored food a few times already!

I have a question and I don't know if its discussed here or not. The salt you put in your jars, I read somewhere (the Ball Book maybe) you need to put the canning salt in to prevent discoloration of the meat and someone here said this helps with the sterilization process I believe. I've read and watched videos on the canning process continually for the last few days and my exact references are a bit muddled. My question is can sea salt/Himalayan salt be used instead of canning salt to add nutritional value? One source claimed ONLY the canning salt prevents discoloration all the rest cause discoloration which I don't want. Are your foods salty when eating? Don't care for a high salt content especially if its a unhealthy salt.

Also, has anyone canned butter? Watched the excellent videos here by Katzcradul. I'm wondering how long that keeps? I watched her demonstration on canning mild, chedder cheese and crème cheese last night as well. That's not high on my list to save but a bit for variety may be good. But mainly I'm wondering about the butter.

Just came back from the local hardware store and bought a Presto 23 qt. I had a wonderfully, informative conversation there with the sales clerk who has been canning for 20 years. She didn't know anything about canning meat though. So I'm off for my trial run. Only going to do 2 pint jars of pork to get the hang of things. I decided that this cooker was better for me right now then the AA brand since I'm a beginner and want fast, easy results.

Thanks, O...another thing. Do you use a rack to separate the jars on a second layer or just stagger the jars on the edges of the rims below on the first layer? I'm seeing a few opinions on that. I don't have the second tray for that so just wondering.

Just finished reading my Presto booklet. Jars may be stacked without a additional rack. Also salt isn't necessary it seems for meat so may just eliminate that altogether and add at cooking time. BUT, please comment if you can add to the salt issue! :D

Hi Summerlite, just found this for you :
Salt is generally added to canned foods to enhance their flavor. With the exception of fermented pickles and sauerkraut, salt is an optional ingredient. Salt can be omitted for canning tomatoes, vegetables, meats, poultry, and seafood since the amount added does not contribute to the safety of the food. However, in fermented sauerkraut and brined pickles, salt not only provides characteristic flavor but also is vital to safety since it favors the growth of desirable bacteria while inhibiting the growth of others.
Types of Salt and Salt Substitutes in Canning
Therefore, do not attempt to make sauerkraut or fermented pickles by cutting back on the salt required.

Canning salt or pickling salt is pure salt. It contains no additives. This is the best choice for canning, pickling, and sauerkraut.

Table salt is safe to use for canning. However, it usually contains anti-caking additives that may make the brine cloudy or produce sediment at the bottom of the jar. Even plain table salt has these anti-caking ingredients. Table salt labeled as iodized salt is not recommended for fermenting pickles and sauerkraut, or for canning because the iodine may cause them to darken, discolor, or be spotty. It will also cause unusual colors to form in some vegetables. For example--cauliflower will sometimes turn pink or purple.

Kosher salt is a coarse, flaked, pure salt that can also be used in canning. Its crystalline form measures differently from regular salt. Since flaked salt may vary in density, is not recommended for making pickled and fermented foods where salt concentration is a critical factor for microbial growth.
Sea salt is evaporated sea water and contains various minerals. It is safe to eat but minerals in the salt may cause canned foods to discolor.
Rock salt, ice cream salt, and solar salt are used to melt ice, freeze homemade ice cream, and to soften water. Since they are not considered suitable for human consumption, do not use them for home food preservation.

Salt substitutes contain chemicals that provide a salty flavor but contain little or no sodium. Most salt substitutes contain potassium chloride. Some people think the potassium chloride has a metallic taste. One brand adds L-lysine to mask the metallic flavor. Do not substitute potassium chloride for sodium chloride in fermentation recipes. One way to lower the sodium content of sauerkraut or pickles is to rinse the product with water just before heating and serving. But never do this before canning. Lowering the salt content this way will lower the acid content (raise the pH) and possibly render the product unsafe to eat or quick to spoil. If you choose to use a salt substitute, it would be best to can without the salt substitute and add it when serving the food. Serving foods with spices and herbs is another way to add flavor without the addition of salt or salt substitutes

http://extension.psu.edu/food/preservation/news/2012/types-of-salt-and-salt-substitutes-in-canning

From all of the recipes I have checked, any salt seems to work just fine. They often say to add herbs and spices as well.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Keyhole, this is very helpful. I'm also considering doing some pickling so this is also quite informative for that. I'll add the link to my growing list of preparations. :)

SummerLite said:
Also, has anyone canned butter? Watched the excellent videos here by Katzcradul. I'm wondering how long that keeps? I watched her demonstration on canning mild, chedder cheese and crème cheese last night as well. That's not high on my list to save but a bit for variety may be good. But mainly I'm wondering about the butter.

An option to consider is to convert butter (in mass) to ghee - the result is concentrated oil less the proteins that stores for very long periods without canning.

I'll look into that LQB, thanks.

My first canning experience was a Success! Yahoo! I spent some time last night looking at my little pint jars (2) of canned pork sitting on the counter. Beautiful! My quandary at the moment is buying more meat to can. No way can I afford large quantities of grass fed, organic etc. that I normally eat, so I'm looking at the cheapest meats available which is something I'd never choose to eat, factory produced chicken as an example. I figure if there is no food to eat, or crappy rations of some sort having this lower quality meat would be appreciated and keep you going. Some organic produce is affordable and adding a good quality fat (canned), bone broth, is also in the plan. The meat may not be the best but hopefully off set that somewhat by using other nutritional sources.

My Presto canner is GREAT! So easy...a little scary at times since it was my first time and didn't know what to expect. I will be getting a Presto pressure cooker for my bone broth soon. I like the pint size jars for meat knowing this is about I pound of meat. Soups and such for the quart jars are planned.

Hi guys, would appreciate some advice from anyone canning in the UK or Europe with "one-peice lids". Iv'e read earlier on the thread that people have had success, so I would like to know whether anyone has experienced what I am facing.

Yesterday - first canning experience failed completely, the lids didn't seem to "bind" to the glass, although I didn't let the cool before I checked so it might have been because they were still warm. Anyway I tried again last night and the two jars have cooled down this morning, the problem is I don't know how I can check if they have sealed or not. There's no 'button' in the middle of the lid that pops up and down, so I am alone in the dark on this one it seems.

Attachments

• 20150405_111849.jpg
    20150405_111849.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 20150405_111855.jpg
    20150405_111855.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • 20150405_111912.jpg
    20150405_111912.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom