Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

Ok we have to wait for a while for a canner , we could not find the word for a pressure canner in Danish but our search led us this evening to the word "henkogning"
This can be done with a normal oven and this method has been used for canning in the food industry for a long time.

This is a process where you ;

1)Make the portion of that which one wants to preserve

2)Put it into the jars or bottles

3) 2-3 cms of air left at the top of containers, then close the rubberized lid completely (if screw on lid type, only screw lightly)

4) place containers in a tray containing water (3 - 5 cms) Containers must not touch each other

5) turn oven on for 120 degrees celcius , leave containers in oven for at least an hour

Avoid opening oven as heat escapes quickly.

6) After at least an hour , turn oven off allow containers to cool down in the oven.

If you have screw on type lid and not the rubberized lids this is the time to tighten the lids.

7) when cooled down place the containers in dark and cool space until needed.

It says from the article we are reading not to use containers larger than a litre.

Any one find problems with this method? If not may help folks with small income to start sooner rather than later.

I`ve done a lot of canning in the past. I know that the pickled veggies that I canned stored well for years. Has anyone ever canned pickled meats? Water bath or pressure caner? I think I saw that Laura canned hard boiled eggs (which I love the idea). I love pickled eggs with beets. I would think the eggs would float to the top. So I guess it`s tricky in how many you can put in a jar? Any thoughts? We`re getting our American pressure caner ASAP!(no gasket, yeaa!) :D

Away With The Fairys said:
Ok we have to wait for a while for a canner , we could not find the word for a pressure canner in Danish but our search led us this evening to the word "henkogning"
This can be done with a normal oven and this method has been used for canning in the food industry for a long time.

This is a process where you ;

1)Make the portion of that which one wants to preserve

2)Put it into the jars or bottles

3) 2-3 cms of air left at the top of containers, then close the rubberized lid completely (if screw on lid type, only screw lightly)

4) place containers in a tray containing water (3 - 5 cms) Containers must not touch each other

5) turn oven on for 120 degrees celcius , leave containers in oven for at least an hour

Avoid opening oven as heat escapes quickly.

6) After at least an hour , turn oven off allow containers to cool down in the oven.

If you have screw on type lid and not the rubberized lids this is the time to tighten the lids.

7) when cooled down place the containers in dark and cool space until needed.

It says from the article we are reading not to use containers larger than a litre.

Any one find problems with this method? If not may help folks with small income to start sooner rather than later.

Well, based on what I've read, if you're canning meat or any other low acid food, this is not safe at all. The reason for this is that every food item contains water - and when you heat things up in the oven, even with very high temperatures, the water in the food can't exceed temperatures above 100C. In my understanding this means that at least part of the food will thus stay at 100C. This would mean, that many bacteria, and especially botulinum will not be destroyed. And processing only one hour would be even more hazardous to your health.

The canning litterature strongly warns against using the oven for canning low acid products. Water bathe canning (in a pot) isn't considered safe either, but I know that the empiric evidence (people have done this without becoming sick) gives a slightly different picture. I would suggest to really carefully read all the reliable material you can find on canning before you start doing this. I know experimenting is fun, but canning isn't an area where you should be doing this, OSIT.

Have you considered ordering a pressure canner (reminder: pressure cookers are not considered safe for canning) via Amazon.com? After a long search I found it to be the only place where to order this equipment here in Scandinavia. I got the Presto, which was the only serious option besides the All American (which is much heavier, making shipping costs sky high). The Presto arrived in only couple of days.

Nancy2feathers said:
I`ve done a lot of canning in the past. I know that the pickled veggies that I canned stored well for years. Has anyone ever canned pickled meats? Water bath or pressure caner? I think I saw that Laura canned hard boiled eggs (which I love the idea). I love pickled eggs with beets. I would think the eggs would float to the top. So I guess it`s tricky in how many you can put in a jar? Any thoughts? We`re getting our American pressure caner ASAP!(no gasket, yeaa!) :D
I did a batch of a dozen eggs (a mix of large and extra large) a couple of days ago, and managed to get six into a 750l pot (with sliced onions to fill gaps :)). And no, the eggs do not float to the top - after all they are hard boiled when you put them in the jar. :)

Aragorn said:
Well, based on what I've read, if you're canning meat or any other low acid food, this is not safe at all. The reason for this is that every food item contains water - and when you heat things up in the oven, even with very high temperatures, the water in the food can't exceed temperatures above 100C. In my understanding this means that at least part of the food will thus stay at 100C. This would mean, that many bacteria, and especially botulinum will not be destroyed. And processing only one hour would be even more hazardous to your health.

Thanks aragorn.The Presto from Amazon it is. Do you have any idea where to get the right kind of glass/jars in Scandinavia?

Pashalis said:
regarding the jars and the lids I'm currently in conversation with a company that produces them not that far away from me.
http://www.flaschenbauer.de/

I will have to pay 200,60 € (without delivery costs because I pick them up myself) for 370 jars and 400 lids wich is a darn good price !
that is 0,53 € per jar with a lid !

since the company is not that far away I'll pick them up myself with my car because it is definitely cheaper then to let them send to me.
it is a weight of about 110 kg wich would be 54,75€ for delivery cost.

unfortunately they deliver only within Germany and Austria (delivery to Austria is a bit more expensive).
they have a lot of different jars and lids with different sizes. after I talked to them they said that the "Konservenglas" and "Sturzglas" would be the best for the canning purposes I need (fatty meat). I'm currently talking to them to find the best lids for that purpose. you will need the right ones considering the heat and pressure (120°C/15 psi) and the thing you are canning!

http://www.flaschenbauer.de/versandkosten.html:
Versand per DHL

Bis zu einem Gewicht von 30 kg und Transport innerhalb von Deutschland gilt die folgende Staffel:
Bei Nachnahme fallen zusätzlich nochmals Kosten in Höhe von EUR 7,00 an.

Bei Gewichten über 30 kg setzen wir unsere Hausspedition ein. Eine Nachnahme ist dann nicht mehr möglich. Unsere Preise bei Versand mit der Spedition ermitteln sich hierbei aus dem Gewicht der Sendung sowie der Lieferadresse.

Selbstabholung

Hier fallen keine Versandkosten an.

Die Abholungen können allerdings nur nach vorheriger Bestellung, am einfachsten im Onlineshop oder per Telefax 07141/6436929 erfolgen.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Ware mindestens einen Werktag vor Abholung bestellt werden muss.
Die Abholung ist zu den nachfolgend aufgeführten Zeiten möglich:

Montag - Freitag: 8.30 - 12.00 und von 13.00 - 16.00

Versand per Spedition

Die Frachtpreise sind abhängig vom Gewicht.
Die Lieferung erfolgt mit unserer Hausspedition

Preistabelle:

Bis Kosten

50 kg 25,50 €
75 kg 32,25 €
100 kg 35,95 €
150 kg 54,75 €
..... .....
... ...
3000 kg 384,10 €

I think there are other companys within germany and other countries that produce jars and lids where you can get them much cheaper then in a regualar shop!

you just have to find them :cool2:

the canner is on the way and since my mother set out several years ago to live with her boyfriend a whole shelf in our basement is empty wich can hold up to 1024 jars of this size wich I'm buying (720 ml):

http://www.flaschenbauer.de/glaeser/konservenglaeser.html/konservenglas-720-ml-to-82.html

I think it will definitely pay itself out even if nothing happens since you will have meat and such for a fairly cheap and constant prize for years so you don't have to spend a whole lot on buying food!

so if all works I have paid 366,79€ for the canner (with delivery costs) and 200 € for 370 jars+lids (plus 30 extra lids)
wich makes 566€ for all the Equipment and jars wich I calculate are enough for two rough years for one person.

I'll will buy more jars and lids in the coming months so that the shelf will be full in the next year or two and I have enough for others too.

just a notice that I tested the jars and lids and they work great so I now bought it in a large quantity.

If you cann meat you need to get a lid that is sterilisation proofed .

I bought and tested this one http://www.flaschenbauer.de/verschluesse/twist-off-verschluesse.html/twist-off-verschluesse-82-mm-blau-w.html
(you can get the same type of lid in green and red, but as far as I saw they are only available at this website in the size of 82 mm)

and also make sure that you get the right size of lids that fit onto the jar!

Do you have any idea where to get the right kind of glass/jars in Scandinavia?
Searched a lot, the only thing I found suitable in Denmark (amazon US won't send here) are the Weck glasses discussed earlier, which Finduilas495 seemingly found to seal well. _http://www.loegismose.dk/shop/k%C3%B8kkengrej/henkogningsglas/

Aragorn said:

Thanks aragorn.The Presto from Amazon it is. Do you have any idea where to get the right kind of glass/jars in Scandinavia?

After a lot of searching, I've found only two brands of cans here in Finland that are usable. One is a Finnish brand, and the other one is a brand called "Quattro Stagioni". The Quattros (as the Finnish brand) have a one piece lid, but there's a rubber sealing beneath the cap - which is essential for a tight seal.

I don't know if you have the Quattro Stagionis where you live, but they have a good reputation what comes to canning. Over here you can find those in the super market.

Image of QS jars: http://amzn.com/B000V9ZRG2

Has anyone tried to can bone broth?

Think that this should be possible in a pressure canner, would probably give it a long shelf life. Would be able to do some to put aside ...
Maybe I can try in a few weeks - if successful I will post.

Laura said:
domi said:
Laura said:
A liter of canned meat will make a stew/soup for several people or feed one person for a day very well, sparingly for two days. If you need to feed more people, then you add some kind of thickener (buckwheat flour) to the broth and maybe some suitable veggies, like carrots or sweet potatoes.

You can can cheap stew beef, tougher cuts of meat, which will be quite tender out of the can. Pork, the same. You can do ground meat with spices added.

Do you add any tallow or lard to the meat in the cans to make it more Paleo friendly (aka fatty)?

If you get fatty, cheaper beef from the butcher, you do not need to add anything. The fat renders during the processing and when it is cooled you have about 3 inches of pure fat sitting on top of the meat in its own juices. Like I said...... add nothing but raw meat, salt and a bit of pepper unless you are doing spicy pork or something special.

We've already been to a farm in the past couple weeks to get beets and cucumbers. We did a BUNCH of beets and 105 liters of bread and butter pickles. We canned all our carrots - a bunch -only thing that grew well this year and then we pickled green tomatoes. We continue to do a load or two of meat every day and we'll be doing pickled eggs probably next week.

Based on what our butcher says, the price of meat is going to go up in September already. He's making us special deals on bulk stew beef, something like a buck fifty a pound. We found the source of the canning jars so we got them in bulk, too. So it's way more logical to can meat than to rely on beans and rice. Just takes some work.

Can you give the address ?

nicklebleu said:

Think that this should be possible in a pressure canner, would probably give it a long shelf life. Would be able to do some to put aside ...

Yes, I started canning broth last year around this time. Looking at those jars now, they seem to be fine. In my more recent attempts at canning broth and soup, I noticed a lot of fat escaping through the process. My jars were coming out very oily with a lot concentrated along the lid. I am figuring it boiled over while processing. I left the recommended 1 inch headspace. After the jars cooled, I wiped them down and checked the seals and they look OK. I was just worried with the amount of fat concentrated along the rim on the outside, if that disrupted the sealing process.

Chrissy said:
nicklebleu said:

Yes, I started canning broth last year around this time. Looking at those jars now, they seem to be fine. In my more recent attempts at canning broth and soup, I noticed a lot of fat escaping through the process. My jars were coming out very oily with a lot concentrated along the lid. I am figuring it boiled over while processing. I left the recommended 1 inch headspace. After the jars cooled, I wiped them down and checked the seals and they look OK. I was just worried with the amount of fat concentrated along the rim on the outside, if that disrupted the sealing process.

Just thought I would give it a go RIGHT NOW - but OOPS! filled the cans right up to the top - really stupid.
Will probably lose some then ... anyway, it's a trial run.
Thanks for the tip, Chrissy!

Chrissy said:

We get that too. We just wash them before putting away. You have less of it if you allow the canner to cool completely before opening.

Laura said:
Chrissy said:

We get that too. We just wash them before putting away. You have less of it if you allow the canner to cool completely before opening.
Thank you Laura, that makes me feel more confident about the safety of that batch. I probably did take them out too soon. I just did batches of cubed pork and ground beef and let those cool completely before I took them out. There was a big difference. I will do that from now on.

Chrissy said:
Laura said:
Chrissy said:

Thank you Laura, that makes me feel more confident about the safety of that batch. I probably did take them out too soon. I just did batches of cubed pork and ground beef and let those cool completely before I took them out. There was a big difference. I will do that from now on.

We also take the lids off before washing the outside of the jar and lid, get it all clean and dry, check the seal, put the lid back on and pack them in boxes.

Back
Top Bottom