Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

At one of JSF' Statements I found These Pictures. My question is: How did you sterilize them? How much heat can they afford, especially the lid?

Yesterday I used similar ones and heated them up with about 140 Degrees Celsius in the backing oven and some of them went off!
Strange enough the older lids I used on smaller glasses did not went off.

At the moment I am a little lost how to find the right glasses, especially the right lid! There was one company I asked and she could not help me!
Could anybody please give me a good advice? Should be in Europe, prefarably in the German speaking part! Thank you very much!

Attachments

• fleisch 1.jpg
    fleisch 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 207
  • fleisch 2.jpg
    fleisch 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 200
Hi noarma,

try this seller: Flaschenbauer

720ml glasses

_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Einmachzeit/Konservenglas-720-ml-TO-82.html

And the colored lids are important, since they are built for meat canning.

_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse-82-mm-blau-w.html
_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse-82-mm-rot-w.html
_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse-82-mm-gruen-w.html

So far I got the best experiences with these products and I used a cheaper pressure canner from America which is also offered at the moment on Amazon, since I don't know if baking is the safest method.

http://amzn.to/1rv9TWS

The canned meat in these glasses lasts 1.5 years minimum and to my experience.

Thank you very much!
I have been on this homepage because I saw it was mentioned - but I absolutely could not find them, even when I gave the word "fleisch" in the search-field.
But anyway the company will call me tomorrow, too and I hope everything will be alright and I can order them!

It gave me a lot of sorrow today and to be honest a something like :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thank you again - it is very helpful to have a place where you can put a question in case you are at your Limits! :cry:
;) ;) :lol:

... It gave me a lot of sorrow today and to be honest a something like

Finally I came back to a quiet life after this disturbance.
And I found a company in Austria who is selling glasses and lids.

https://www.muellerglas.at/katalog/verschluesse/catalogue/category/closures/subcategory/twist-off.html

Of course you can order less than 12.000 pieces ! ;-)

The porto will be cheaper, I guess, if you live in Austria.
I went there by myself and enjoyed talking to people who know what they are selling.
Talking to the company in Germany was also very interesting, because the virus that "nobody knows anything, they always have to look at the computer" is spreading widely. And in this way most people are getting dumber and dumber, if they dont resist this streaming

Today I opened up a few cans of ground beef that we did in November 2013. All three looked the same when I inspected them, but I think one was bad. The lid came off fairly easy and there wasn't that vacuum seal noise like the other two I opened. It didn't smell the same as the other ones either. The first two smelled of beef, but this one had a slight chemical type smell to it. It reminded me of how Elmers glue smells. :scared:

Anyway, I threw it out and washed and disinfected the sink and countertop.

Chrissy said:
Today I opened up a few cans of ground beef that we did in November 2013. All three looked the same when I inspected them, but I think one was bad. The lid came off fairly easy and there wasn't that vacuum seal noise like the other two I opened. It didn't smell the same as the other ones either. The first two smelled of beef, but this one had a slight chemical type smell to it. It reminded me of how Elmers glue smells. :scared:

I am pretty astonished. I tested all jars that I did at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 when I used a water bath, I hadn't bought the pressure canner yet. Two of them were bad (and I did quite a few) and I could open them very easily.
I did fry the meat thoroughly before putting it in jars and in the old-fashioned canner and canned them for about one hour. So, I am amazed that the meat is still okay.
We have started eating the meat now. I cooked it for at least 15 minutes at about 100 degrees Celsius, just to be on the safe side and in case of botulism.
The meat tastes wonderful. I had also canned some Brussels sprouts and they were still okay.

One batch that I had canned in the pressure canner turned out bad, my youngest could already tell, because there was an air bubble at the bottom of the jars. I think they turned out bad, because of faulty rubber rings. I do always clean the lids and the top of the jars with vinegar, before canning.

Mariama said:
Chrissy said:

I am pretty astonished. I tested all jars that I did at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 when I used a water bath, I hadn't bought the pressure canner yet. Two of them were bad (and I did quite a few) and I could open them very easily.
I did fry the meat thoroughly before putting it in jars and in the old-fashioned canner and canned them for about one hour. So, I am amazed that the meat is still okay.
We have started eating the meat now. I cooked it for at least 15 minutes at about 100 degrees Celsius, just to be on the safe side and in case of botulism.
The meat tastes wonderful. I had also canned some Brussels sprouts and they were still okay.

One batch that I had canned in the pressure canner turned out bad, my youngest could already tell, because there was an air bubble at the bottom of the jars. I think they turned out bad, because of faulty rubber rings. I do always clean the lids and the top of the jars with vinegar, before canning.

One experience I had made:
Sometimes there are glasses that go astray, simply for no obvious reason.
And I have learned to accept that fact.

After I started canning last year I remembered that I already had done so before - I simply had forgotten about it. Did a lot of it, vegetables and also meat. I always use(d) twist off glasses and in former times I simply cooked them in a big pot with water for a few hours. It was alright.
Now I do it in the oven, heat at 120 degree Celsius. And when they begin to bubble I turn heat off. Takes some hours.

I also ate this very old canned "gulyas" I had made some years ago and it was alright, too.
Before putting the glasses away in the storage place I watch them in the kitchen for about two months or so.
Also try to do canning only in the period after fullmoon until new moon. It seems to work better.

Since I am living parttime in the countryside I talked to the farmers wife about my new canning process and how long the glasses would be eatable? And she laughed and said: "Oh my dear, last summer I ate a glass of cooked meat that was 10 years old and still alright!"

I am just passing this information :)

:wizard:

Mariama said:

Botulism spores are only killed at temperatures above 120 deg C (250 deg F). While botulism is something that is quite rare, I still would advocate to be very careful with not adequately canned meat. There is no treatment for botulism, if you get it, you might end up on a ventilator for a few weeks until the disease has run its course.

While botulism toxin is destroyed at 85 deg C (185 deg F) after about 5 minutes, it is hard to judge if the meat inside has really reached that temperature. And if it has, it is by then for most cuts dry and hard.

If it was me, I probably would discard the non-pressure cooked meat and replace it with properly canned ones. Botulismus has not smell or taste, the meat still tastes perfectly ok.

Just my 2 cents.

Just spotted this while browsing pressure canners on ebay, for $13 (Aussie $):

_http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65-RARE-OLD-BOOKS-ON-CD-HOME-CANNING-PRESERVING-COLLECTION-OF-SELF-SUFFICIENCY-/251871982902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3aa4bd7536

Also- DO NOT MESS WITH BOTULISM! This nasty little bacterium produces one of (if not THE) most potent toxins known to man, and if it doesn't kill you, you'll probably never fully recover. Consider this: the treatment for botulism is with an antitoxin! The same method used for treating a snakebite... :scared:

Thank you for your replies!

Most of the meat that I have canned in the old-fashioned way is ground meat, and after 15 minutes of boiling the meat will be cooked thoroughly. I also added quite a bit of salt, before canning it.
Do the spores of botulism survive the acidic environment of the stomach?
And what if I put these jars in the pressure canner for about 5 minutes? They are still sealed. I just want to be sure before I discard the meat.

nicklebleu said:
Just my 2 cents.

Thank you Nicklebleu and Fester for the strong input about botulism - I'll think about it and probably will buy this pressure canner. To be honest I am a little afraid of that thing - just in case it could explode - but I read that a lot of people are able to do it and I think I have to give it a try.

:wizard: :knitting:

naorma said:
To be honest I am a little afraid of that thing - just in case it could explode - but I read that a lot of people are able to do it and I think I have to give it a try.

Modern pressure canners are pretty fool-proof - they don't explode, because they have several safte features built in: once the canner is under pressure it self-locks and it is not possible to pry it open even with force; a second locking mechanism in the handle; safety vales etc. The only really bad thing you can do is to let it run dry and continue heating it at full blast. The rubber seal is able to withstand quite high temperatures, but eventually it will let go and the residual steam might come out. This will however most likely just depressurise the canner, but it will be wrecked and ruined.

Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

nicklebleu said:
naorma said:
To be honest I am a little afraid of that thing - just in case it could explode - but I read that a lot of people are able to do it and I think I have to give it a try.

Modern pressure canners are pretty fool-proof - they don't explode, because they have several safte features built in: once the canner is under pressure it self-locks and it is not possible to pry it open even with force; a second locking mechanism in the handle; safety vales etc. The only really bad thing you can do is to let it run dry and continue heating it at full blast. The rubber seal is able to withstand quite high temperatures, but eventually it will let go and the residual steam might come out. This will however most likely just depressurise the canner, but it will be wrecked and ruined.

Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

Thanks!!!! :flowers:

Yeah, it's quite safe to use a pressure canner. Just read the instructions thoroughly, if you're not familiar, and make sure you understand everything and all parts involved. Then can away. It's pretty easy, especially after you've done a few batches, it all just goes like clockwork.

Gawan said:
Hi noarma,

try this seller: Flaschenbauer

720ml glasses

_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Einmachzeit/Konservenglas-720-ml-TO-82.html

And the colored lids are important, since they are built for meat canning.

_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse-82-mm-blau-w.html
_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse-82-mm-rot-w.html
_http://www.flaschenbauer.de/Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse/Twist-off-Verschluesse-82-mm-gruen-w.html

So far I got the best experiences with these products and I used a cheaper pressure canner from America which is also offered at the moment on Amazon, since I don't know if baking is the safest method.

http://amzn.to/1rv9TWS

The canned meat in these glasses lasts 1.5 years minimum and to my experience.

Cheers for the heads-up about lids Gawan. We already bought like 75 white lids and have just read that it says only suitable for pasteurisation :huh:

Will have to stock up on the coloured ones!

Back
Top Bottom