Comets and The Horns of Moses (Volume I) Available on Amazon!

Re: Comets and The Horns of Moses (Volume I) Available on Kindle!

Excellent news! Feel so privileged.

Odyssey said:
Any word on when the print version will be out? At any rate, I can't wait. Off to power up my tablet for Kindle download. Yay! :clap:

Going down that route as well, getting the the Kindle version now and once the hard-copy is printed will get that one as well. Thank you!

Thankyou for finally getting this out! I seem to have decided that reading the first chapter was more important than my uni lecture :-[

Just one small comment on the kindle edition. Each footnote number links to the footnote page, but there is no link back from the footnote page to where the original note was inserted, as is the case in other kindle books. This isn't an issue on my kindle as the 'back' button works just fine, but I don't know how it works on other/older e-readers, so thought I would just mention it.

Thank you! I have Kindle on my i- phone. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. My phone is always with me so I can read anytime I have a moment. (As long as I have my reading glasses that is) Which is great since the books are piling up! I've already sarted reading it.

Modify: So sliced bread is not the greatest thing, but you get the point.

Congratulations, Laura!

Since you allowed me to read the manuscript while doing the cover art. (i was silently bursting with enthusiasm to keep the secret of how good it is.) Now everyone can. Glad for anybody who buys and reads it.

Laura, is it too wicked to call it a "cult classic"? :evil: :halo:

genero81 said:
Thank you! I have Kindle on my i- phone. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. My phone is always with me so I can read anytime I have a moment. (As long as I have my reading glasses that is) Which is great since the books are piling up! I've already sarted reading it.
I just figured out that there is a kindle app for the smart phone I have. So I am using that...I agree it is the greatest thing!! I plan on getting more books for the kindle and buying the hard copies too!!

Congratulations Laura!

NewOrleans said:
Since you allowed me to read the manuscript while doing the cover art. (i was silently bursting with enthusiasm to keep the secret of how good it is.) Now everyone can. Glad for anybody who buys and reads it.

NewOrleans, my first thought upon following the link was that this is by far my favorite LKJ book cover art. It is striking and instantly intriguing, so congratulations to you as well!

And then I began giddily reading the sample text of the first chapter on amazon... :D Now to figure out if I can get the kindle version on my nook, or if I have a bit longer of a wait.

Thank you, Laura! Very very exciting. :clap:

Actually SethianSeth, I did the complex inked cover art from an old image that Laura had come across in the Theatrum Cometicum and then Jonathan designed the final cover to specs. A few things artfully changed - all for the better - but thank you for the compliment. It was a group effort. I liked the first light watercolor version, but the end result was livid color, much to my surprise. So some ego adjustment was necessary. Artist's can be so emotional about things like that. So, in the end, it was both work and Work. STO.

Do read it. :rockon:

NewOrleans said:
It was a group effort. I liked the first light watercolor version, but the end result was livid color, much to my surprise. So some ego adjustment was necessary. Artist's can be so emotional about things like that. So, in the end, it was both work and Work. STO.

Do read it. :rockon:

Exactly. The point is not what you liked, but what I liked and wanted and the ability to hear what I was asking and execute it. I guess that's the difference between artists and graphic designers? You are a fantastic artist, able to tune into some creative reality that is somewhat personal to you. All our graphic designers listen to me carefully and somehow manage to tune in to my vision and bring it into reality which is, after all, what a book cover is all about. And sometimes, I give no input at all, they just do stuff and I love it because they've looked at stuff they know I like and "get into the mood" or something.

So, now you know that I have very provincial - even tacky - tastes in art and probably music. Not avant garde or "artsy" at all. Mea culpa!

ADDED: When I envision the "mood" for a book cover, it goes with the "mood" of the book. There was nothing "light watercolor" about either this text or my "mood" in writing it. It was - and continues to be - an intense, profoundly moving experience. I wish to convey that in book covers because, truth be told, I don't write unless I'm on fire. I want the reader to feel that by looking at the cover.

That is why I sent you the early text to read: so that you might feel it too and convey it in art. I guess you didn't.

Pashalis said:
I wait for the physical version, and I don't think it will take all that long :)

The Kindle Versions are surely great, especially if you are not at home and you can read it on a electronic device in you hands without carrying a book around. But I think that a pysical book is always a good idea to have too, since you never know how the future might look like.

A physical book you can always read, share, hand down to next generation even without electrical power! When you only rely on electronic devises for you book collection you might loose your whole library when things get worse. Nothing can compete with the good old book IMO.

Just imagine what would happen if books finally die out and all that is left are recordings on electronic devices in the case of caraclysmic disasters in the future! A whole lot of knowlege would be lost pretty quickly, and there wouldn't be much physical knowlege in book or written form left to hand down to the generations, after the event. A book, if handled carefully, can survive for hundreds of years, even thousands....

That's exactly my line of thought as well.

I don't have a Kindle either and actually hadn't planned to buy one (even for the cheapest Kindle you can buy 2- 3 real books :)).

However, given that the printed version of Laura's book still takes some time I'm wondering whether anybody knows how to install a Kindle reader on a computer running with Linux Ubuntu?

And Laura, thank you so much!!! :flowers:

Aiming, there are two ways to use kindle on ubuntu:

http://shuffleos.com/1761/kindle-cloud-reader-read-kindle-ebooks/

or

you can install the "WINE" app from the ubuntu software center which is an emulator for running win apps under ubuntu and then download kindle for pc.exe file which you then launch.

Laura, I work as a graphic designer every day. An artistic temperament is not contrary to clients wishes but parallel. As for "light watercolor" I was following the 18th Century style of the engraving's period. I certainly don't mean to offend your sensibilities - I wasn't finished, as you know, and sent emails saying that I planned to bump up the color. I just didn't go far enough at that stage. It's fine, J. S. did a good job. Bright colors work fine.

Bit the bullet and downloaded PC Kindle tonight, then bought the book from Amazon. Being a first time Kindle user I needed to talk to Amazon on line with a problem, they were very helpful and fixed me up.

Now I have my book all set up for reading at my leisure, I like the larger print showing on my PC screen too.

Thank you Laura and support team for the hard slog involved in getting this to us as quickly as possible, it is much appreciated :)

Yaaaay! I was looking for it on amazon a few days ago, glad to have caught this thread, will order now and when the hardcopy comes out, we'll get that too :)

And fwiw, I think the cover looks very powerful.

loreta said:
Kisito said:
Gandalf said:
Kisito said:
Very good news which Laura's work continues. But I have to wait for the French translation, my English is really too too bad :(

I think that you have a very good opportunity to improve your English before this book is available in French.
I thank you Gandalf of your optimism. I finish the book of Velikovsky and I put myself in English.

I think Gandalf is right.
Reading in English is like going to school. You learn so much! I started to read in English (without knowing English) with the diary of Virginia Woolf. Every word I was not understanding I looked in a dictionary. And my counsel is to used an English dictionary, not a French/English and vice versa. You will learn much better and fast reading the sense of the word directly in English.

Good luck! This is a fantastic occasion to learn (for me also) more with Laura! ;)

Indeed. That's the best way to learn a language.
Even if one gets tired, as I have many times while doing 'learning' of this sort, I never gave up!
Maybe a little break. But it's worth it!

Domagoj said:
Aiming, there are two ways to use kindle on ubuntu:

http://shuffleos.com/1761/kindle-cloud-reader-read-kindle-ebooks/

or

you can install the "WINE" app from the ubuntu software center which is an emulator for running win apps under ubuntu and then download kindle for pc.exe file which you then launch.

You can also read your kindle files directly on the web browser in https://read.amazon.com/about
I tried it once and it works well.

Back
Top Bottom