Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Hello I want to report here some of my achievements regarding the cold adaptation. I've began the Wim Hof mediation for two weeks now and it is a very great exercice, it pushes the Round Breathing of EE a little more due to the respiration stop portion of the exercice.

The exercice is simple breathing and focusing, but when it comes to the part of Yoga and stretching it becomes very interesting and in a more active way. Wim describes like that : Stretch yourself, take an inspiration and focus deeper in the contraction, the focusing and the oxygene coming will dilate your vessels (it was observe in a laboratory says Wim) and like a Tsunami let go of the flow as you expire.
It really make me think of Gurdjieff's capacity to stretch his body without any tension, because I now find myself very stretch and relax, and I want to point out that the backbone is a very very important thing to work that way, because you will master all the tiny muscles and come with a better connectedness between the different stages of the body-mind (it connects your chakras ^^).

I come up with some realizations :
- The respiration begin at the base, the perineum, and go upward smoothly. The upper stages of the body is relax and repose calmly on the foundation, the hips (I have a friend of mine who study osteopathy who have confirmed that is a good way of breathing). It is very challenging for me to reprogram this breathing habit, even with EE I breath loosed in the lower abdomen and contracted in the upper. I maybe am a thinking man, in Gurdjieff's terms, so I spent a lot of time contracted in my the upper part of the body.

- I had a an experience while trying to sleep, I reached a zone in my mind tuned with the "Earth" : it was like a vast and calm ocean of peace. As I continued to connect my body start to heat a lot and I would have continue this if a voice in my head didn't tell me that my body was not sufficiently wired and risk to burn.

- We have neurotransmitters and tiny muscles that are very important in all the body. When I get under the cold shower and my chest close this tiny muscles to support the rude cold it made me think of what Laura said about anger : don't let the feeling go above the neck. So maybe there is a connection here between physical and emotional muscle.

Thank you for reading me, I will continue to go deeper in awareness.

Running barefoot in 4 inch snow

Our biggest snow so far, 7.8 inches were forecast West of Ukraine, in East-Hungary, but we are past that now in the evening. Until now our worst snow was about 0.5 inch. So its nothing like in the Sott videos. By now I had about enough shoveling, so I told the Universe: - "Okay, that's enough snow." Just to keep the on and off conversation with the 'Element of Weather'-department of the Universe running..

Anyway, at around noon, while the snow was falling fairly vehemently and the temperature being highest 32 F. / 0 °C, very nice! Fresh, light, porous snow, not frozen, not filled with semi-molten "heavy" water, not hard, best snow. Almost warm temps. So I decided to bicycle out to the edge of our little town [country area] and do a "commando" exercise. At places I had to get off and push the "semi-road racer" bicycle
http://i.imgur.com/mvLgJlK.jpg
the poor thing almost broke, the excess snow got into every part of it.

The snow wasn't deep enough to make fasted "sprinting" and jogging impossible - nobody was cleaning it up "at the edge of nowhere country road" - and with almost no wind and relative "warm" 32 F. / 0 °C, I decided to run a round barefoot on the soccer field. On earlier occasions I did it in -4°C ~ -6°C and my toes started to become numb after two or max. 4 rounds. It felt amazing! My feet were only wet from melting snow, not muddy or dirty and only half numb and a bit red. It was nothing compared to professional Russian ice bathers barefoot walk in the snow, I guess. It would have felt even more amazing if the sunshine could get through. I wondered if I got some grounding, since snow is a worse conductor than water.

Even so I only did it, because about 25 years ago during karate exercise we heated up nicely so the master ordered everyone out into the snow covered school-yard to play soccer barefoot. It felt fantastic.

Running barefoot in the cold feels like "beating nature" and helps fusing with the "snow-ice weather element" of nature and makes me feel more hardy. For others it probably looks crazy. A professional runner once joked seeing us running barefoot that are we so poor, we cannot buy shoes? :)

After all this cold adaptation research I often think how far we ventured to get closer to the nature elements, be more hardy and be more one with the universe.

Last week the sun was shining and as Dr. Jack Kruse advised in the H&W radio show - I deliberately run barefoot and blinked into the sun and kept the sun on my face: it was colder and the grass had white frosted patches and it was somewhat wet, so the grounding must have been enough, because the Sunrays--to--skin--to---wet-ground--electric-circuit felt REJUVENATING!!!!!!! It was like I stepped under a Fountain of Energy & Youth for a minute in the mountains. Spiritually refreshing and exhilarating, like as if God gave a 30 seconds Reiki with her hand on my spirit body, I giggled internally, it felt so amazing.

I took potassium gluconate and half a teaspoon of raw Vit C powder to help with the intense muscle-work of "deeper" snow-running [you skid often, cannot keep your balance perfectly, your muscles overwork constantly to keep you in motion]. Afterwards DMSO, Lugols, two multivit capsules, fish oils, 10K Vit A., and Linus Paulings amazing VitC/Proline/Lysine-cocktail with couple big glasses of Vit C/glycine refresher in Artesian water.

This type of exercise, fasted joggin'/sprinting, full body weight pull ups, frog jumps, push ups, causes palpable depletion of body resources (minerals/vits, etc..) [especially in snow] and on occasions "sports injuries", [pulling toes or back or a leg or an arm or ribs, etc..] something might hurt after. But seen as how weak pitiful wretches we modern men have become, compared to the paleolithic hunter superhumans, its normal for us to "hurt everywhere". Pain goes away after a couple of days on paleo/keto and cardio feels awesome!! :D Especially since adopting and incorporating Nora Gedgaudas' lung capacity enhancer technique into the training. :)

Tracking game:
My first experience in observing human wide-foot tracks in the snow. Comparing it with dog tracks and Bigfoot from memory, while jogging[= playing/thinking about hunting prey], I thought about how professional trackers can follow trails. It looked fun to examine barefoot tracks in the snow and compare it to my ugly GTX Special Forces boots tracks. And watch everything gradually covered with snow: thinking about how tracks could disappear in the snow in the real wilderness seen shown the movies.

lilies said:
Running barefoot in 4 inch snow

Thanks lilies for sharing your experience, and the inspiration.

With only 63.5 Centimeters just recently touching the ground here, it was still enough to get the same effect's.

Have done so 4 time's, and will do it again after this post, The glowing feeling is pretty nice, i must say.

Cold shower therapy's sessions are getting longer, and longer. With colder exposure time, given the recent dive of area temps.

Man it feels great! also feeling more alive, and also connected.

OK then, snow time. ;D

Added:

Oh yeah. There is a little burning effect after the experience. The feet get slightly cherry red, but that quickly dissipates, leaving a glowing feeling.

I think that may represent my circulation kicking in to the expose, They soon warm up (feet), nice. and quickly.

OK.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 1_14_2017 , 3_56_29 PM.png
    Screenshot - 1_14_2017 , 3_56_29 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 208
I found a video about a health system promoted by Dr. Makarov Vasily Petrovich "Ice Maiden. A Russian woman who has embraced the cold and wears light dresses in winter" _https://rtd.rt.com/films/ice-maiden-film/ The film crew follows a woman who has adapted her body to accept cold and wears her summer clothing in late winter when the temperature is around 0 degrees Celsius. Her daughter is a psychiatrist and provides comments. Personally I think this group is rather new agey. They use energized water as the last and first liquid to be taken in the daily routine. Now, that may actually be a good idea.

I tried cold baths over two years ago. Circumstances were not conducive. The water temp wasn't cold enough and I was living in a house with four occupants and only one bathroom. I just started taking cold showers and the water temp is definitely cold enough. I have my own bath/ shower. Today was day six and it's getting easier already although I can't say I actually look forward to them just yet. I'm parrusing this thread for info.

genero81 said:
I tried cold baths over two years ago. Circumstances were not conducive. The water temp wasn't cold enough and I was living in a house with four occupants and only one bathroom. I just started taking cold showers and the water temp is definitely cold enough. I have my own bath/ shower. Today was day six and it's getting easier already although I can't say I actually look forward to them just yet. I'm parrusing this thread for info.

:thup: Let us know how it goes! And remember to listen to your body. It's not for everyone, and everybody is different in terms of their tolerance and their needs.

Chu said:
genero81 said:

:thup: Let us know how it goes! And remember to listen to your body. It's not for everyone, and everybody is different in terms of their tolerance and their needs.

Fwiw Genero, after experimenting with cold therapy on and off for a while i would have to say i very much agree with Chu, everybody is different and listening to your body is the best guide.

I found that cold showers were much harder than total immersion (outside in ~15C water) which i found relatively easy, even more so if you could swim! However with work and the sun setting much earlier in winter, it made outside dips in cold water less feasible so i decided to try cold showers, and my tolerance was lower. Singing in the shower helped things along :D but still the process was much more difficult mentally and physically, which isn't such a bad thing, and can be quite amusing.

People differ, and some days you may 'look forward to them', because you're doing something that takes a concerted effort and the after effects are rewarding, though i think a sense of humour, and adventure, are the most valuable asset here.

For me, total immersion seems to cool your entire body where showers seem to only bring the areas under the shower down and the others warm up so when they go back under the water it feels like you get the shock again - i'm not sure of the science behind it, but that's how it felt - and with total immersion you tend to get just the one shock (though if you stay still in the water and then move, the thin layer of water surrounding your body seems to heat up and you get hit with the shock again).

CT showers though could easily fit in to my schedule, most often just before bed thus negating any need to 'warm up' (either by a hot shower or heat source) - because shivering and typing can be a nuisance when you have work to do - so after the shower i would just jump into bed and sleep, and warm up that way.

The main benefits i found from CT were quicker recovery from physical work but most importantly more rapid sleep onset and deeper, more regenerative sleep, something i've struggled with for much of my life (though i've actually found Infrared Therapy to be the most beneficial here). A clearer mind and increased focus are also notable effects.

That said, having tested fairly low temps in various ways, i think both have their benefits. As mentioned, it's obviously best to go slow, and while there are some guidelines like ' for every 1degreeC spend 1 minute in the water', it has also been noted that it's important to factor in body type - skinny people need less time - your current health status, and how you feel during and after. And I'd say for the most part, any attempts experimenting with CT will provide some benefits. And after a while, it doesn't hurt to take breaks or change up your routine a little.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

itellsya said:
Fwiw Genero, after experimenting with cold therapy on and off for a while i would have to say i very much agree with Chu, everybody is different and listening to your body is the best guide.

Amen. After doing it for several years now, the hardest part at first was not physical, but rather my brain saying, "This is HAAAAAARD! I don't wanna!!" Mind you, I'm one of those who's always too hot!

Now, I actually enjoy it because it's no longer miserable. Each year, I have to work my way back up to increasingly cold water as winter sets in, though.

itellsya said:
I found that cold showers were much harder than total immersion (outside in ~15C water) which i found relatively easy, even more so if you could swim!

I'm the exact opposite. Cold showers are cake - even getting cold water on my head. I don't hyperventilate anymore or anything. But a dip in the pool when it's 6C? Yeah, that's harder. When I do "full immersion", my head stays above water to prevent Brain Freeze. ;D

itellsya said:
The main benefits i found from CT were quicker recovery from physical work... A clearer mind and increased focus are also notable effects.

Here too. I joke that it's an endorphin rush when your body realizes it's not going to die after all when you get out.

I generally find that cold showers don't cause me to shiver now (during or after) even in winter. Cold dunks outside only sometimes make me shiver during or afterwards, and I always take a warm shower afterwards right away to warm back up. For me, there was no perceivable benefit to shivering for 2-3 hours afterwards.

Well, there you have it: the experiences of yet another Crazy Cold Person.
:cuckoo:

Happy Refrigeration!

My experience is different. The most intense cold therapy I've done was last year, for 3 consecutive months. Full immersion. In the beginning the water was at 18ºC celcius, and I was swimming for about 20 minutes. Then it got colder and colder (10-12ºC), and I kept going. 1 - 1.5 minutes per degree. Almost every day. I was feeling some positive effects (less headaches, and the psychological "Yeah! I'm tough, I did it!), but physically overall, I didn't manage to solve a problem I've had for a while, which resembles Renaud's syndrome. My toes and fingers can get totally numb and white (not all of them, two or three at a time, like this), then some spots turn dark red like this. And it took a very long time to feel warm again and for normal even colors to return.

I was hoping that CT would help the blood vessels regain some elasticityy, but it didn't work. And this year I saw a Chinese medicine doctor, and he told me: Don't go in the cold! You need more yang, heat moksa sticks, warm meals, etc. Now THAT has helped quite a bit.

So, I think that cold therapy is probably great for many people, but if you happen to have a blood circulation problem, it may be best to try and address that first. I might give CT another try in the future, IF the other issue keeps improving.

Even with the "side effects" of feeling terribly cold and that my fingers/toes were going to fall off, I have to say that I miss the cold dips. But I think that was the endorphins, NOT the actual cold adaptation. In fact, I used to call it "cold resignation". After a while, I was doing it just to train my will power, but my body never got to the point where it ADAPTED to the cold. It just resigned itself to having to do it! :lol:

As for the difference between showers and baths, I prefer the full immersion. With the showers it's like mini-shocks, and I found that way harder than going "all in".

Now, I mean all this as a warning for those who may go all gun-ho about it, but they have bad blood circulation in the extremities (or heart problems). It's not an excuse for those who don't, to give it a fair trial! :rockon:

Thanks everyone! Glad I got the conversation going :lol: It's going okay so far. I'm doing like two minute showers right now- on day seven. A little shiver for about 20 minutes or so after. I'm planning on doing 14 days in a row and then maybe every other day. Does that sound like a good plan?

genero81 said:
I'm planning on doing 14 days in a row and then maybe every other day. Does that sound like a good plan?

I'd say if you're up for it, why not? If one particular day is bad, you could skip the next day. Ya know, see how it goes, experiment a little - and report back! ;)

Four weeks ago, I fell and hurt my ribs. I had some x-rays done and there was no fracture of the ribs. I went to see my chiropractor a few days after and after an exam, he said he thought I'd torn or separated the cartilage in my ribs and that it would take 6-8 weeks to heal. He recommended something I found really helpful in dealing with the painful areas and that was ice massage. Hope it's helpful if any of you have an injury that affects connective and other soft tissue.

His instructions were to take a dry wash cloth and grab an ice cube or two and massage the areas in a circle-type fashion for 1 minute and work my way up to 4 minutes, several times per day. That treatment was better pain relief than any drugs I took and the relief lasted anywhere from two to four hours.. The ice draws blood to the area helping it to heal faster, too.

Here's an article discussing the technique, though it's a bit different than what he recommended. They mention 10 minutes of massage and that seems a bit much to me. 2 minutes was about all I could take. I'm on the mend, but I still use it daily for pain and to help with healing. DMSO mixed with magnesium oil and a heating pad helped quite a bit too, but the ice massage has been the best of all.

Learn how to use an Ice Massage to treat common Sports Injuries

Last edited:

I found this video interesting mainly because it adds more information to the "how" concerning Wim Hoff's many feats. One point of note is that breathing is a vital part of Hoff's and possibly many of the most extreme forms of cold adaptation.

In general, and somewhat as a synopsis, there are 3 receptors/pathways involved when one is exposed to "extreme" cold. Those are the temperature receptors, pain receptors, and the amygdala which is triggered by the pain receptors. During the interview Pierre Capel likens the pain receptor to a protein that forms a trimer (an aggregate of 3) under normal blood pH conditions which is necessary when signaling pain.

However, when the blood pH is alkaline relative to normal conditions those same proteins are unable to trimerize and cannot send a signal of pain. He goes on to describe a cascade of consequences that would follow, pointing to the efficacy of raising blood pH through your breathing. Long story short, Wim Hoff's breathing method and cold adaptation are more beneficial when coupled together. I'm wondering if it is actually better to incorporate the breathing along with cold water exposure or no exposure at all rather than only doing cold showers or something similar.

Pierre does mention the fact that you may actually hurt yourself if you do not alkalize the blood before attempting such things. This is a new sentiment to me so I wanted to post the video to see what you all thought as well as post a disclaimer on submerging oneself in cold water without the necessary prep work, i.e. Breathing techniques.

I've tried to get into this cold adaptation business several times over the last few years, but I had always failed until this year. I tried what the Cs said, cold bath for 10-15 minutes, several times, usually got sick the day after and thus stopped. It took a while to try again, and even when I didn't get sick, this was kind of hard to continue daily. If you get out of the bath and shake for an hour, who wants to do that again the next day? And the day after, etc. Plus it felt like wasting a lot of water, so nothing much ever came out of it.

Last autumn I had some health problems that probably messed up my immune system, and in the winter I kept catching colds from kids in the family, and recovery was unusually slow. So in January I decided I had to do something about it and started taking cold showers while still recovering from a cold.

For those who want to do cold adaptation but feel overwhelmed or intimidated by 15-minute baths, my advice is: start with as little as you can handle, but do it every day. Once you establish this habit, you'll be able to build up. And you'll probably find that you adapt faster than you expected.

At first I would start with a warm shower and then turn it cold and do like 30-60 seconds. On day 3 I noticed that the beginning isn't as much of a shock as the first day. Within just a few days I saw that I was already getting used to it. After two weeks, I started enjoying it. I started turning the shower all the way to the right to get the coldest water possible and prolonging the showers. After a while, I got rid of the warm start.

I measured the temperature of the coldest water I get here, and it's usually around 8°C. After two months, I was doing 3-5 minutes in this, 3 times a day (because it's fun). After that, I usually just sit on a towel and read or meditate and let the body dry on its own. It prolongs the exercise a bit under slightly different conditions, but as the body gets dry, I start to feel warm, and that usually lasts for 30-60 minutes. Only after that I get dressed. Sometimes, in the evening, I open the door to the balcony after the shower and sit there for 15 minutes until I'm dry. The evening breeze at about 5°C has its own magic. Sometimes (depending on how long I was in the shower) I may shiver this whole time, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Even when I have the physiological reactions like shivering and cold skin, I feel I can handle it much better than before. Sometimes it's even pleasant. And I don't get sick from it anymore.

I also started adding baths. Instead of the 10-15 thing the Cs said, I would usually do the 8°C for 3-5 minutes. Basically same as the showers, but the full body exposure definitely has a stronger effect. As I was getting comfortable with this, I felt it was time to try 15 minutes again. So I filled the bath tub, measured the water at 13°C and got in. Being used to colder by then, the beginning was fine. I had my shoulders and arms out of the water, which, as I discovered later, makes quite a bit of difference, so I started shivering only after about 5 minutes. I did the whole 15 minutes and shivered maybe for another 15, and it took an hour or so to start feeling warm again. So the duration makes things much more difficult than the temperature, at least as far as I'm concerned.

A few days later I tried 15°C again, but this time with water up to my neck, with arms in the water. It took only a minute before I started shaking, so the difference was huge. I did only 10 minutes, shivered for another 20, and didn't feel warm until about 2 hours later.

To put this in some perspective, I read this near the beginning of this thread: "if your Body Mass Index is below the lowest normal range [18.5], you can't do cryotherapy". Well, I calculated my BMI to be 16.4. (I know like 3 people who weigh less than me, and they're girls whose height is barely up to my chin.) So I'm clearly a candidate for freezing before everyone else, so the 15 minutes of 15°C is probably a bit of an overkill for me.

At any rate, I much prefer colder water for shorter time than 15/15. And the big difference is that after the former, I feel warm for an hour, and after the latter, I feel cold for an hour. So one of those is significantly more fun than the other. The question is, though, since the Cs recommended this, what is the benefit of longer exposure and shivering for an hour after it? Am I just overdoing it because I'm skinny, or is there actually any significant value in that? I can say for sure that I had adapted noticeably from just the 3-5 minute showers. So I wonder how far one should push this. I generally just get to a point where I shiver a little for less than a minute, but not beyond that (unless I expose myself to cold air after the shower on purpose). This feels like the "right" amount for me (stop shortly after I start shivering), it's enjoyable and fun, and I have no trouble keeping it up several times a day.

During my first month of this, I figured it would be a good idea to read some more about Wim Hof, so I read "What Doesn't Kill Us" (and later "The Way of the Iceman"). This did two things: gave me a lot of motivation to push further with this and to experiment, and prompted me to start the breathing exercises. This turned out to be one of my best ideas ever.

I've had headaches since I was 4 years old. In recent years, I'd have the really bad ones (24 hours of really intense pain) about 3 times a month, and milder ones about 3-4 times a week. So about 15 days of any month, I'd have some kind of a headache. Since going keto in 2014, I've felt like I never really lack energy, but the headaches are basically even worse than being tired. It's not that I don't have the physical "energy" to do some work, but with a headache, everything is so much of a pain in the ass that I really don't want to do anything.

I started the Wim Hof breathing exercises on the 1st of March. I really like the way he "designed" them (though apparently he does all of this intuitively). The breath retention makes it pretty awesome for several reasons. First, it interrupts the breathing, which is good because breathing like that non-stop for 10 minutes is really hard work. So you do like 2 minutes of breathing, and then however long you can hold your breath (which, after the breathing, will be a LOT more than you can normally do). (This cycle is repeated 4-5 times for the whole exercise.) Second, the breath retention is motivational for me, because I want to know how far I can get, and I get to see some "progress". And third, it's actually useful for processing oxygen.

Several people in YouTube videos about their Wim Hof experience recommended the book "The Oxygen Advantage". So I started reading that. What I learned from it is that if you breathe deeply while at rest, you don't get any more oxygen than you already have, but because you deplete CO2, you actually get less oxygen into your tissues, because CO2 is necessary for oxygen to get from blood to tissues efficiently. So if you hyperventilate for 10 minutes, you lose a lot of CO2 and can't absorb enough oxygen from your blood into your body. But if you do the regular Wim Hof 30-40 breaths and then hold your breath, the CO2 replenishes itself during the breath retention. I had no idea about this before.

(Sidenote about "The Oxygen Advantage": It's an interesting book that may be worth your attention, but I'll quickly sum up what I got from it here:
1. Apparently many people "overbreathe", which leads to the problem I described above. This results in unnecessary tiredness during both rest and exercise. During exercise, you're much more "out of breath" than you'd be if you breathed properly.
2. You should breathe slowly, about 7-10 breaths per minute, and only as deeply as you really need. Basically he recommends to breathe as "little" as possible.
3. Always breathe through your nose, for many reasons explained in the book.)

To get back to my point about headaches... in the 43 days of the breathing exercises, I've had one (1) headache so far! It took me out for a whole day, but it wasn't actually as intense as it usually tends to be. Two days later, I woke up with a mild headache again. This was rather annoying so soon after the previous one, so I immediately did 3 rounds of breathing while I still had some energy, and within minutes, the pain was almost completely gone. So this, while completely unexpected, was the main benefit for me. Also, with the headaches mostly gone, I could confirm that I have no problems with energy or tiredness whatsoever. I credit mostly the keto diet, but I think the cold is actually helping with that too. Definitely a big fan of the Wim Hof method now. To learn more about it, I highly recommend reading "What Doesn't Kill Us". (Here's a presentation by the author:
)

Along with doing these things at home, I also started going out to the forest and doing some cold exposure there. I go there for 2-3 hours and experiment with various things. Walk around just in a T-shirt when it's 5°C, or even without it, Wim-Hof-style, if it's a bit warmer; walk around barefoot, sometimes through a stream; take a bath in the stream, etc. Just today I slept in the forest (it was freezing at night) and sat in a stream for a bit in the morning. The water was 4°C. (Yeah, I bought a thermometer for that.) I started with all this after snow was already gone, but I'm looking forward to next winter.

Sometimes I sit in front of the PC, reading or whatever, and I'm feeling cold despite drinking hot tea. So I'm postponing the cold shower, thinking I'll get warmer in an hour or so. But sometimes that just isn't happening, for whatever reason. (I never turn on the heating at home, so the regular temperature inside is around 18-20°C these days.) So I say 'screw this' and go take the shower anyway, say 2-3 minutes of 8°C water. The paradoxical thing is that (aside from fulfilling my "I took a cold shower today" duty) it actually makes me warmer.
Yep, I'm at my PC, dressed, with long sleeves, feeling cold; then, without any warming up, I take a cold shower, get out, sit in front of the PC on a towel, no clothes and I don't even bother drying myself, and for an hour I feel perfectly warm.
The paradox is only apparent, though. In fact, I think it makes sense. Before the shower, I'm feeling cold, but because the temperature is only 1-2 degrees below comfort level, the body is basically ignoring it and doing nothing. (Well, actually, it's withdrawing blood from extremities, which is kind of the problem.) The cold shower is my way of telling the body, "Seriously, dude? You're just gonna do nothing? How about this? Is this cold enough for you?" and the body goes, "Wow, shit. This is really cold. Fine, I'll turn the heating on." and apparently this forces it to produce enough heat for an hour in indoor conditions. When outside in near-freezing temperatures, it's enough for 10-15 minutes of comfortable warmth without clothes.

So, yeah, you can make yourself warm by taking a cold shower. Who would have thought?

Another interesting thing happened one day when I cycled to town and back. I decided to try doing the breathing the whole way. (Not the breath retention.) This was interesting in and of itself. Since I breathed a lot ahead of the uphill parts, I had enough oxygen in store, so I pretty much never felt out of breath. At the most difficult parts, the exertion just about caught up with my rate of breathing. The effect was that I could go much faster overall than usual, especially uphill. So because I pushed myself to go as fast as possible, and because I had decided to wear a sleeveless T-shirt in a windy weather, I was fairly exhausted when I got home and my head was kind of pulsing. (And this is exactly the kind of thing that would very likely have given me a headache before.) So I thought I'd lie down to let the body rest a bit. Then I thought I could take a cold shower first. And because I was pretty warm inside after the exercise, I changed it to cold bath. So I used the coldest water, jumped into it... and within 20 seconds, all sense of exhaustion was completely gone. I didn't lie down after it because there was no need.

I've read about athletes doing this after training or a match. Jump into ice water. It relaxes the muscles and refreshes you. It really works.

I've noticed my adaptation through the reaction of pain receptors. The first time I sat in 8°C water, my feet were in pain in like 10 seconds. So I had to lift them up, wait a bit, into the water again, and repeat. Since the feet are usually the first in and last out, they've adapted the most. Now I can stay in even colder water for a few minutes, and no pain in the feet. Hands are worse, since they don't spend that much time in the water, so sometimes I train just the hands. Wim Hof recommends up to 8 minutes in ice water for feet or hands. Supposedly after 2 minutes or so, blood should return into them, but this never happens for me. Maybe because I'm so skinny, but I still have cold hands pretty much all the time. If I put them in a small container of 10°C water, I can just about take the pain and keep them there for 10 minutes, but mainly because during the first 2 minutes, the hands warm the water up by about 2 degrees. Lower temperature than this brings pain within 20 seconds. So I'm hoping to improve that.

Pain receptors are also triggered by 8°C in forearms and upper chest, likely because these parts haven't been trained that much. A few days ago I tried a bath in 20°C, just to see what would happen. The water temperature barely registered up to my chest, but the top of the body, shoulders, and arms felt pretty cold. But it was doable. With some shivering, I did about 18 minutes. As soon as I was out of the water, though, I didn't feel cold at all anymore. The interesting thing was that the next day, the pain response in the upper chest in the regular cold shower was noticeably milder. So I guess even 20 degrees has some use when it's long enough.

One thing of note is that lower temperature has more of a warming effect than higher, and there seems to be a fairly specific threshold. (Though the threshold may be different for everyone.) I've noticed this on myself. Very cold makes me warm afterwards, but just mildly cold might not. I think for me the "switch" is somewhere between 10-15°C. This is partly why I almost always go for the coldest option.

So it's been 6 weeks of breathing and almost 3 months of cold exposure. The body has clearly adapted very noticeably. There's less pain, and I can take the cold for significantly longer than before. Also I don't bother with warm water anymore. I just start the shower with the coldest. I do 3-5 minutes 3 times a day, and several baths a week (same cold water, 3-5 minutes). I also notice that even when I am cold, it bothers me much less. I may be sitting outside for an hour, feeling cold and occasionally shivering (I generally dress very lightly all year round), but it doesn't seem to penetrate inside that much. I can feel the cold, but it's somehow much more tolerable and I can bear it longer. And I don't seem to get sick no matter how much cold I decide to take on on any given day.

As for the breathing, I usually do 4 rounds in the morning with breath retention, and then one round with pushups. When I hold my breath without any preparation, I can do about 1 minute 10 seconds. After my very first round of the breathing, I did 2:20. After a week, I got to 3 minutes, and after a month, to 4. The Wim Hof method actually does the breath retention on exhale, but I feel like on inhale works better to prevent the headaches. There's more pressure in the head, it's more intense, and there's more going on, and it feels like something just gets "released" like that. So I do 2 rounds on exhale and 2 on inhale, just to cover all bases. Currently the records are 3:30 on exhale and 4:20 on inhale. Before this, I never imagined I could hold my breath for two minutes. Like I said, this is very motivational for me, and the body is clearly learning something.

The pushups are done after the last round of breathing, also while holding breath! Just as Wim promised, I do more like that while holding my breath (around 50) than I can do normally with breathing. And the feeling after that is pretty amazing too.

Interestingly, it appears that in the last few months I've also gained 4 kg, which is kinda nice. Maybe the body is finally building some fat reserves to burn for heat?

As far as advice for others goes, my experience is that any cold exposure will adapt you to some extent. So it's better to start with a little and slowly build up than to start with a lot and fail to keep up. Even if you can't build up much, you'll benefit. Just push yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit and see how far you can go over time. And try to do it regularly.

By the way, when you get that gasping reflex at the beginning, try to overcome it and breathe slowly. Also, overcoming the shivering (during and after, by loosening your muscles) helps turn on the inner heating.

Wim also emphasises attitude. Cold exposure works much better if you're mentally prepared for it, best if you're looking forward to it. So if 2 minutes is something you can look forward to and 10 minutes is scary, I'd say go for the 2 minutes and enjoy it. This way you'll come back for more and progress naturally.

Back
Top Bottom