Das verbrogene Böse

Re: Re: Scans that show Brain of neglected child is smaller

truth seeker said:
benbuehne said:
I see a curious habit in you, Laura (and a few others), of making the Ad Hominum Fallacy. In the strictest sense the truth would be the truth regardless of who said it so it's important to separate the source from the information and to take all information as being separate from the other information presented.

Is there a reason for such strict adherence to this fallacy?
I see a curious habit in you, ben. You seem intent on attempting to exert control over this forum in general and newbies in particular by doing what 'it' likes and through your refusal to take advice which has been patiently given to you over and over again. When questioned, you apologize and attempt to impression manage by appearing humble. Just so you're aware, the strength of an apology lies not in the words but in the deeds. In other words, what one does in order to rectify any error. You, however, apologize and continue to act in the same manner over and over again.

If you have such a problem with the materials on this forum and how it's run, it should really be quite simple - find another - one that allows you to do what you please without having to take responsibility for anything. If you are truly genuine in your desire to participate here, I suggest you read or reread the forum guidelines. As was said, enough already.
I wouldn't describe this as a habit. Truly the only newbie I've even interacted with at length is here in this thread.

I'm not really criticizing the material or how this forum is run. I'm not really certain how I'm not abiding by the forum guidelines and that may be the disconnect here. Please feel free to respond here or PM regarding this. I've come to understand that the way I type things doesn't necessarily carry the connotations/inflection that would be expressed verbally.

nova creatura said:
nova creatura said:
Data: And what percentage of mothers have to do it, that arise enough psychopaths and destroy the world? 5 or 10 or 15%? It does not take as many as you might think.

Aiming: Thank you! Psychopaths may have invented some of the religious teachings to oppress us. But God and its effect in us they did not invent. Every believer can feel God in himself.

And what does this have to do with the guidelines?

O, I have quoted me ... :halo:
The current number of psychopaths it would take to destroy the world is 2... Putin and Obama firing nuclear weapons. It's a problem you tend to see with a greater centralization of power. It doesn't take much to do the damage.

I think the discussion of the traditional Christian bible from that perspective will lead to you being advised to look at the wave series. I would speak with some more tenured members regarding this. I would say that you can see psychopathic influences just about anywhere where we have institutions or belief systems capable of infringing on the free will of others and this would include many religions.

From what I best understand, the reason this has anything to do with the guidelines is that the guidelines state that the information here comes from a specific perspective. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=9553.msg69187#msg69187

This perspective includes that of understanding Cassiopaean teaching, as well as those of "Georges Gurdjieff, Mouravieff, Castaneda, and many other sources available to us." At times the traditional Christian bible as well as doctrine can be at odds with these teachings.

Again, I'll need to defer to more tenured members who may be able to offer more clarification.

Gimpy said:
benbuehne said:
anart said:
benbuehne said:
Heimdallr said:
benbuehne said:
I was wrong... this is an MD that wrote this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Just-Like-Father-Liane-Leedom/dp/0977801306

Liane Leedom is a highly questionable source. Basically, she is a fraud. Read here - https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25688.0.html - and I would recommend doing a forum search on her to read the many other threads where she is mentioned.
I'm not sure I would interpret this the same way but I appreciate the link. All I see here is that her husband betrayed her. That seems to make me trust her as a source more as she clearly felt the sting of betrayal from a possible psychopath. Also Dr. Hare supports her... and that is a highly reputable source. It may actually serve to make her a better source to learn from.

Again there is this ad hominem fallacy though... The question is if the information in the book is valid and not if the person is valid isn't it?

No, Ben, it's not an ad hominem fallacy. We've dealt with this woman one on one and she is a seriously, seriously disturbed individual. If you read the facts of the criminal case you would realize that she is the one who faked her husband's credentials in order to allow him to predate on her patients - she's in it up to her neck. She's also used her son as an avenue for revenue generation and accused him of pathology that she herself displays. Those who have worked with her one on one (Hare has not in any real capacity) have refused to work with her again and cut all ties with her. Honestly, Ben, one would think that you would tire of being so stubborn about assuming you're right when you haven't read all the facts. Really, since the day you arrived here, you've done nothing but that and enough is enough.
Yes but this post itself would yield to the ad-hominem fallacy wouldn't it? I don't see anything refuting the information... only refuting the source which is exactly what the ad-hominem fallacy is.

I'm not trying to be suborn but I fear the point is being lost. The fact is that the source is irrelevant... isn't it?

Ben, you have reached the limit of my personal patience. That could be as basic as a language barrier, or a cultural barrier, at this point its not a barrier that demonstrates to me that its worth more energy.

Its clear to me that you are not here to learn. So why are you here?
To Participate which is a mutual relationship of both give and take.

benbuehne said:
1984 said:
benbuehne said:
Worse still... even with these measures taken with a genetic predisposition they can still turn into one through drug use or drinking frequently.

Can you provide data re: your sentence above?
http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/bitstream/handle/1961/7729/FinalCapstone.pdf?sequence=2
http://journals.lww.com/jonmd/Abstract/1999/08000/Concurrent_and_Predictive_Validity_of_Antisocial.4.aspx
http://www.documentacion.edex.es/docs/1101PICbio.pdf#page=61

I would also check out.
Vaillant, G.E. Natural history of male alcoholism. V: Is alcoholism the cart or the horse to sociopathy? Br J Addict 78:317-326,

From the Summary section of this book 'Vaillant, G.E. Natural history of male alcoholism. V: Is alcoholism the cart or the horse to sociopathy?' found online: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1983.tb02516.x/abstract
Summary
The report presents a prospective 33 year follow-up of 456 disadvantaged urban males selected for nondelinquency in early adolescence. Seventy-one men had developed alcohol dependence and by Robins’criteria 32 men could be classified sociopathic. Once one disorder developed the other often followed, but primary alcoholism and sociopathy appeared to have different premorbid etiologies. Unstable, unhappy childhood environments per se appeared selectively to predispose to sociopathy and sociopathy appeared to reflect personality disorder. In contrast, familial alcoholism and a cultural background that prohibited childhood drinking but sanctioned adult drunkeness led selectively to alcoholism.

This would seem to contradict your point in referencing this book as substatiation for your statements.

benbuehne said:
There isn't enough conclusive data... but what you tend to see is that the same genetic predispositions are valid for both substance abuse and psychopathy... and you see very high levels of comorbidity...

Your sentence bolded above is merely a parrotting of the first paragraph of the Introduction you quote here: http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/bitstream/handle/1961/7729/FinalCapstone.pdf?sequence=2. So, do you just pick and choose what you read and decide the criteria you agree with and disregard other material?

Perceval said:
benbuehne said:
Heimdallr said:
benbuehne said:

Liane Leedom is a highly questionable source. Basically, she is a fraud. Read here - https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25688.0.html - and I would recommend doing a forum search on her to read the many other threads where she is mentioned.
I'm not sure I would interpret this the same way but I appreciate the link. All I see here is that her husband betrayed her. That seems to make me trust her as a source more as she clearly felt the sting of betrayal from a possible psychopath. Also Dr. Hare supports her... and that is a highly reputable source. It may actually serve to make her a better source to learn from.

Again there is this ad hominem fallacy though... The question is if the information in the book is valid and not if the person is valid isn't it?

Jesus Ben, this is getting kind of frustrating, ya know? There is no "ad hominem fallacy", what there is is lots of experience and research. And it is always a good idea to assess the source ALONG with the information. Do you really think that information can be totally divorced from the person spreading the information?? Basic research requires that a researcher take ALL information into consideration, INCLUDING the source. Ya know, you obviously don't know a lot about certain topics, yet, bizarrely, it is on these topics that you seem to come across as particularly self-righteous and, dare I say, sanctimonious. Now, should I just be looking at what you say rather than making that observation? Or would it be possible that a person with a tendency to self-righteousness might end up thinking he knows more about something than he actually does? And would that information about the source be important in weeding through what such a person would say?
Do I think that the information can be totally separated from the source? Not completely but you can get very very close. Even credible sources should be questioned... and sources that have proven to lack credibility can have truths mixed in with the bad information.

I think you are confusing my arrogance with other personality traits. My inquisitive nature may be confused with stubbornness. As such, even though I read the information provided by others through their advice that doesn't mean I blindly accept this information. I understand it and question it and I don't necessarily internalize it until knowing it to be true. As such what can be perceived as a large learning curve would be best explained by a careful analytic process. Part of that involves a separating of the source from the material. I wonder if this process is what is causing others to view me as disagreeable.

I PMed you to attempt to go over some of this.

benbuehne said:
Perceval said:
benbuehne said:
Heimdallr said:
benbuehne said:

Jesus Ben, this is getting kind of frustrating, ya know? There is no "ad hominem fallacy", what there is is lots of experience and research. And it is always a good idea to assess the source ALONG with the information. Do you really think that information can be totally divorced from the person spreading the information?? Basic research requires that a researcher take ALL information into consideration, INCLUDING the source. Ya know, you obviously don't know a lot about certain topics, yet, bizarrely, it is on these topics that you seem to come across as particularly self-righteous and, dare I say, sanctimonious. Now, should I just be looking at what you say rather than making that observation? Or would it be possible that a person with a tendency to self-righteousness might end up thinking he knows more about something than he actually does? And would that information about the source be important in weeding through what such a person would say?
Do I think that the information can be totally separated from the source? Not completely but you can get very very close. Even credible sources should be questioned... and sources that have proven to lack credibility can have truths mixed in with the bad information.

I think you are confusing my arrogance with other personality traits. My inquisitive nature may be confused with stubbornness. As such, even though I read the information provided by others through their advice that doesn't mean I blindly accept this information. I understand it and question it and I don't necessarily internalize it until knowing it to be true. As such what can be perceived as a large learning curve would be best explained by a careful analytic process. Part of that involves a separating of the source from the material. I wonder if this process is what is causing others to view me as disagreeable.

We don't PM here, Ben, the discussions should take place in full public veiw. That way, others have an opportunity to learn from it. Quite frankly, it is your stubborn ignorance that is at the core of the problem here. You are unwilling or unable to recognize truth when you see it and stubbornly think that just because you think something, it must be true, when - thus far - 95% of the time you have been wrong in your assertions. This alone is not terribly uncommon and would not really be an issue if it weren't for your incredibly arrogant and abrasive attitude toward the members of this forum and the forum itself. For this reason, I really think it's time you moved along to another forum that fits your needs.

1984 said:
benbuehne said:
1984 said:
benbuehne said:
Worse still... even with these measures taken with a genetic predisposition they can still turn into one through drug use or drinking frequently.

Can you provide data re: your sentence above?
http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/bitstream/handle/1961/7729/FinalCapstone.pdf?sequence=2
http://journals.lww.com/jonmd/Abstract/1999/08000/Concurrent_and_Predictive_Validity_of_Antisocial.4.aspx
http://www.documentacion.edex.es/docs/1101PICbio.pdf#page=61

I would also check out.
Vaillant, G.E. Natural history of male alcoholism. V: Is alcoholism the cart or the horse to sociopathy? Br J Addict 78:317-326,

From the Summary section of this book 'Vaillant, G.E. Natural history of male alcoholism. V: Is alcoholism the cart or the horse to sociopathy?' found online: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1983.tb02516.x/abstract
Summary
The report presents a prospective 33 year follow-up of 456 disadvantaged urban males selected for nondelinquency in early adolescence. Seventy-one men had developed alcohol dependence and by Robins’criteria 32 men could be classified sociopathic. Once one disorder developed the other often followed, but primary alcoholism and sociopathy appeared to have different premorbid etiologies. Unstable, unhappy childhood environments per se appeared selectively to predispose to sociopathy and sociopathy appeared to reflect personality disorder. In contrast, familial alcoholism and a cultural background that prohibited childhood drinking but sanctioned adult drunkeness led selectively to alcoholism.

This would seem to contradict your point in referencing this book as substatiation for your statements.

benbuehne said:
There isn't enough conclusive data... but what you tend to see is that the same genetic predispositions are valid for both substance abuse and psychopathy... and you see very high levels of comorbidity...

Your sentence bolded above is merely a parrotting of the first paragraph of the Introduction you quote here: http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/bitstream/handle/1961/7729/FinalCapstone.pdf?sequence=2. So, do you just pick and choose what you read and decide the criteria you agree with and disregard other material?
No sir... what you'll see is that in the top portion it distinguished between sociological premorbid etiologie... yet there is substantial evidence suggesting similar genetic factors in others studies. It also provides evidence within the data that these children selected really did not have early adolescent psychopathy and developed that AND alcohol dependance yet none without alcohol dependence did not develop psychopathy. Interesting isn't it? So it sets a basis for non-adolescent psychopathy occurring almost exclusively from substance use.

As I stated... it's not something proven but it does have data supporting it. ;)

benbuehne said:
I'm not trying to be suborn but I fear the point is being lost. The fact is that the source is irrelevant... isn't it?

Yes, you are trying to be stubborn, but that is your way. No, the source is never - ever - irrelevant. In fact, the source of any information is vitally important. If you've read any of Laura's work, you'd have picked up on that because the strength of her work is that she follows the sources of information as far back as she possibly can and notes and analyses the influences on those sources of information since they necessarily influence the verity of the information. It's very simple - and if you would read the information in the cognitive science threads as you've been asked to do several times, you'd understand why.

benbuehne said:
Gimpy said:
benbuehne said:
anart said:
benbuehne said:
Heimdallr said:
benbuehne said:

No, Ben, it's not an ad hominem fallacy. We've dealt with this woman one on one and she is a seriously, seriously disturbed individual. If you read the facts of the criminal case you would realize that she is the one who faked her husband's credentials in order to allow him to predate on her patients - she's in it up to her neck. She's also used her son as an avenue for revenue generation and accused him of pathology that she herself displays. Those who have worked with her one on one (Hare has not in any real capacity) have refused to work with her again and cut all ties with her. Honestly, Ben, one would think that you would tire of being so stubborn about assuming you're right when you haven't read all the facts. Really, since the day you arrived here, you've done nothing but that and enough is enough.
Yes but this post itself would yield to the ad-hominem fallacy wouldn't it? I don't see anything refuting the information... only refuting the source which is exactly what the ad-hominem fallacy is.

Ben, you have reached the limit of my personal patience. That could be as basic as a language barrier, or a cultural barrier, at this point its not a barrier that demonstrates to me that its worth more energy.

Its clear to me that you are not here to learn. So why are you here?

No, that is a game called "Tug-o-war".

We don't debate or engage in verbal jousting here. Is there a point in the guidelines that is unclear to you?

If you have to BELIEVE to feel god, then it is the wrong god.

benbuehne said:

Why do you think that you can give something to discussion when you're not even familiar with the research and data on this forum. IMO, It shows your self importance and illusion that you already know enough to teach others here, when the truth is you're simply a newbie who joined the forum/network made of thousands of people, thousands of pages of researched data and information practically served on the silver platter before you. And instead of taking the chance to read and learn, you keep pushing stubbornly in your own direction and missing the chance to learn in the process.

I advice you to take the chance and actually do what you've agreed upon when joining. To do that you'll probably need to empty your cup first. Can you do that?
Also, who is more likely to have more true knowledge, one person, or thousands of people connected to a network? Who is likely to be right? Think about it.

Take it or leave it, fwiw.

anart said:
benbuehne said:
Perceval said:
benbuehne said:
Heimdallr said:
benbuehne said:

We don't PM here, Ben, the discussions should take place in full public veiw. That way, others have an opportunity to learn from it. Quite frankly, it is your stubborn ignorance that is at the core of the problem here. You are unwilling or unable to recognize truth when you see it and stubbornly think that just because you think something, it must be true, when - thus far - 95% of the time you have been wrong in your assertions. This alone is not terribly uncommon and would not really be an issue if it weren't for your incredibly arrogant and abrasive attitude toward the members of this forum and the forum itself. For this reason, I really think it's time you moved along to another forum that fits your needs.
"95% of the time you have been wrong in your assertions."

Can you please explain to me where I have been wrong. I really have yet to get clear explanations.... only vague brushes of criticism directed at me as opposed to the content of question.

Arrogant and Abrasive? It makes me ponder if perhaps mirroring exersizes tend to show others as this not because they (the ones being "mirrored" truly are this way but because of a distortion in the mirror. I can certainly be arrogant at times... but I don't see how I have been particularly abrasive (the exception being our initial discussion Anart)... unless questioning is considered abrasive. When being called out on my arrogance I tend to ask where I overstepped and I don't usually get clear answers.

Quite honestly it appears to me something may be wrong with this forum and there are many red flags and a lot of doubletalk. When I attempt to clarify this it is usually met with a personal attack instead of addressing the issue. There seems to be an aura of paranoia in which if certain fundamental principals are questioned then the question is deemed irrelevant. I'm told there is no authority here... yet it clearly exists... a pyramid... a hierarchy. I'm told there are no fundamental beliefs but when one is questioned the reaction is similar to just about any religious fundamentalist having a belief questioned. I honestly think this is something many here are oblivious to... and maybe mirroring in that case is required. The general attitude seems to be that no one new has anything significant to offer until dying and being reborn in the image of cassiopaea which then ignores the underlying "why" behind the reason for the current state of being. This is what I was trying to get at in this thread. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,29967.0.html

That maybe there is a reason for our individuality and that there may be a significance to this even though objectivity is also important.

Quite honestly it makes me sad. I see so much potential here. I see so much good will and quite honestly a lot of knowledge as well. However I also see a lot of logical fallacies that are frequent with the most pervasive being this ad hominem fallacy... a fallacy people here are actually defending vehemently. I would prefer, truth be told, to help enlighten others to this. I think people think I overstep there... well how could I possibly? Look at how imperfect I am... but that is the ad hominem fallacy to a T. Even if everything else I say is wrong if I get one thing right that one thing is still right... it's still truth! I think if those that are offering criticism here were to look at this objectively then they would see this is happening but I also think that a combination of groupthink, confirmation bias, cognitive dissonance, and the bandwagon fallacy will prevent this from occurring.

I mean... don't you see the corruption within your own board? The hierarchy that has developed and the doublespeak? The censorship being done yet being called other things! The identification of enemies through the COINTELPRO section that simply points out the fallibility of humans... any human! The fact that oppositional research is ignored! The mirroring... a tool that can be used for both good and evil but used for evil and justified as good in all cases. The reason I say this is because sometimes it's a funhouse mirror because I've read through some of these and it seems that I just don't see the things you are mirroring back in this person's posts. So is that mirroring or is it just pure criticism for the sake of criticism and assimilation?

Now I could be wrong here but I'm doubting the ability of anyone here to explain this to me (most likely because they can't explain it to themselves as it would result in too much cognitive dissonance.)

I'll tell you what... how about if instead of encouraging me to remove myself from the forum (or banning me) you attempt to explain this stuff to me? I would like nothing more than to actively participate here but it seems a discussion and realization needs to occur on both sides prior to this happening. Maybe include some specific examples... bring in some information that I just haven't gotten to yet. If you know it's wrong but can't explain how it is wrong... then I would say you need to reconsider if it is in fact wrong.

Ben, there is a huge difference between a sociopath and a psychopath and this is one of the academic bones of contention we deal with here. When we say "psychopath" we mean a genetic disorder. A sociopath is a whole other ballgame. For that we generally use characteropath.

Hare discusses Psychopath vs. Antisocial Personality Disorder and Sociopathy here:
http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopathy_aspd_sociopathy.htm

See also: http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopathy_in_a_community.pdf

Also: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/execution/who/profile.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199401/charming-psychopath

etc.

benbuehne said:
Quite honestly it appears to me something may be wrong with this forum

Yes, you've made that clear from your initial posts and yet you have never, not for one instant, considered the idea that the problem is with you, not this forum. Fascinating.

I've tried to explain the issues to you in many posts, yet you do not listen. You are so busy talking and assuming that you are correct that you do not listen, yet you demand again that I explain more. Why, when you do not listen?

Laura said:
Ben, there is a huge difference between a sociopath and a psychopath and this is one of the academic bones of contention we deal with here. When we say "psychopath" we mean a genetic disorder. A sociopath is a whole other ballgame. For that we generally use characteropath.

Hare discusses Psychopath vs. Antisocial Personality Disorder and Sociopathy here:
http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopathy_aspd_sociopathy.htm

See also: http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopathy_in_a_community.pdf

Also: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/execution/who/profile.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199401/charming-psychopath

etc.
I've heard that distinction before. In the strict scientific sense the words are interchangeable although in political ponerology I did find it interesting that he identified different traits associated with the different mannerisms of becoming a psychopath.

Back
Top Bottom