Defense against the psychopath

ripvanwinkle

Padawan Learner
Hello all,
I watched this video I found on YouTube tonight and thought it was awesome so, I thought I would share. It's called "Defense Against the Psychopath." I searched the forum with specific keywords but didn't see it posted anywhere and I apologize if I missed it. It describes the characteristics of psychopaths and how to defend against them. I found it very educational. I hope you find it well worth watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgGyvxqYSbE&feature=related

Thank you. This is surprisingly good. It even goes into the ponerogenisis process to a certain degree. This is one of the better videos for a lay person new to this concept I have seen thus far.

Just watched this video:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/234214-Defense-Against-the-Psychopath

It's VERY GOOD.

I'd like to know more about who is behind the text. I heard a few sentences that came out of my mouth/keyboard here and there, and a whole lot of ideas that came from Lobaczewski. I wonder if this person gave credit to Political Ponerology?

Just wrote the following email to the author of the text:

Hi,

I just watched "Defense Against the Psychopath" which we carried on sott from youtube. I thought it was a brilliant juxtaposition of text and images.

Curiously, I heard a number of almost entire sentences (one complete one) that have come from my mouth/keyboard in years past as well as an entire body of ideas that are apparently derived from Lobaczewski's "Political Ponerology", sections that come almost directly from Hare's "Without Conscience" and Hare & Babiak's "Snakes in Suits" as well as Cleckley, but did not notice any citations of these sources.

Can you explain?

Thanks so much.

Laura Knight-Jadczyk

Fwiw I think the author of the video might have not thought that it would be a problem because he posted the links of the video on the Political ponerology facebook page in 2010.
Still that's weird to never give credits or at least reference the sources for the ideas exposed osit.

Tigersoap said:
Still that's weird to never give credits or at least reference the sources for the ideas exposed osit.
Indeed and especially(IMO) as the text under the video says;
"Defense Against the Psychopath is a documentary excerpted from chapter one of my book; The Art of Urban Survival."

Edit
... and (s)he links to Icke...

This is the author's FB page.
_http://www.facebook.com/stefan.verstappen
He also appears to be friends with at least one of the forum members (or so it seems), and Les Visible as well. So definitely could "borrow" some info without giving credit. If so, that's very unfortunate, especially when you see extensive references to psychopathy on his page.

I had to go to a library to watch the video but it was worth it!! I agree that the material is very familiar. It is a good video though. He should have given credit to sources no doubt. Sometimes I quote Sott.net articles or forum quotes when I talk to people and I do not give the source, I just say I read an article that said... or I read on a forum. Of course if the person is very interested and asks I will tell them. I think of it more as strategic enclosure or not giving one more than they can digest at one time. A person can be very interested in the work or psychopaths but not yet able to handle the truth about being food for Lizzies. :/ :scared:
I'm kinda scared after watching this though. It was deeply stimulating and I kept thinking about people I know (and have suspected of being psychopathic). The thing is that almost everyone acts like a psychopath sometimes, including me. :(

Stefan Verstappen's website : _http://www.chinastrategies.com/

[quote author=chinastrategies]
Stefan H. Verstappen is a Canadian writer, adventurer, and martial artist. He has worked as a a street youth councilor in Toronto's most notorious housing project,and later as the wilderness survival instructor for the Toronto Boys Home outward bound program.

As an instructor for St John Ambulance he helped plan and run natural disaster drills and trained police and rescue workers in first aid and CPR. He has traveled extensively and spent four years in Hong Kong and Taiwan studying Chinese martial arts.

Stefan is a regular contributor to Black Belt Magazine and you can read all his past articles here:
[/quote]

Also written book "Pocket Guide to Chinese business etiquette".

[quote author=chinastrategies]

Stefan first traveled to China in 1986 and worked in Hong Kong and Taipei for more than four years as a corporate trainer teaching in-house MBA programs for such clients as: Acer Computers, Datung Electric, Formosa Plastics, Amsterdam-Rotterdam Bank, The Ritz, and Golden China Hotels, and Re/Max International. He also published several business articles for Business Taiwan Weekly.

Photo of Stefan (foreground) was featured on the cover of Peoples Daily June, 7 '00

Stefan is a member of the Canadian Society in China and also worked as Chairperson for the City of Vaughan, International Economic Development Committee, in charge of facilitating the 'Twin Cities' partnerships with cities in Japan and China.
[/quote]

opossum said:
I had to go to a library to watch the video but it was worth it!! I agree that the material is very familiar. It is a good video though. He should have given credit to sources no doubt. Sometimes I quote Sott.net articles or forum quotes when I talk to people and I do not give the source, I just say I read an article that said... or I read on a forum. Of course if the person is very interested and asks I will tell them. I think of it more as strategic enclosure or not giving one more than they can digest at one time. A person can be very interested in the work or psychopaths but not yet able to handle the truth about being food for Lizzies. :/ :scared:

I think everyone speaks without citing things, and then discloses strategically based on the questions pursued. That just comes down to how the natural rhythm of conversations happen.

It is quite different, in my opinion, to produce either a text, visual, audio, or video document without properly citing sources - it misleads people into believing the original ideas are yours. Essentially, it is plagiarism.

As wonderful a presentation as it is, asking the author to append sources is only responsible scholarship.

clerck de bonk said:
Edit

If you're referring to the Youtube page, I think that "as seen on" bit just means it has been added to a playlist of David Icke's. Regardless though. If I were in a superbly cynical mood, I would be saying that this video is a good way to get people interested in psychopathy and ponerology, only it has been scrubbed of LKJ's fingerprints and a breadcrumb trail back to where all that information came about. If so, it's essentially a context-free ideological abortion. But I hope that's not the case.

clerck de bonk said:
Tigersoap said:
Indeed and especially(IMO) as the text under the video says;
"Defense Against the Psychopath is a documentary excerpted from chapter one of my book; The Art of Urban Survival."

Edit

That book isn't in his booklist, at least on Amazon:

_http://www.amazon.com/Stefan-H.-Verstappen/e/B001JOY0TS

whitecoast said:
...If so, it's essentially a context-free ideological abortion. But I hope that's not the case.
Ugh, that was almost mean! ;) Couldn't have said it better myself.
Yes indeed, let's hope this is not the case here.

Not completely off topic, I was wanting to ask about personal privacy and if the level of research represented by the forum poses a potential threat to the investigation team and/or those in which they reveal. I had always been naturally revealing of myself... however, I have found that many take their personal privacy quite seriously.

1melissa3 said:
Not completely off topic, I was wanting to ask about personal privacy and if the level of research represented by the forum poses a potential threat to the investigation team and/or those in which they reveal. I had always been naturally revealing of myself... however, I have found that many take their personal privacy quite seriously.

I don't quite understand your question, could you clarify?

I watched the video some time ago, and thought it was pretty good. But it left a funny flavor in my mouth for two reasons. One, the obvious ideas/sentences culled from Laura's work (and Lobaczewski), and the authoritative tone that kind of goes beyond what is called for. I know it's pretty common to differentiate psychopaths into 'types', but something about the presentation made it appear to me that this guy is trying to sound more authoritative than he actually is...

Back
Top Bottom