Detoxification: Heavy Metals, Mercury and how to get rid of them

Carl said:
Just an interesting experience to note down. I did a round of heavy metal fighting this week using iodine, ALA, selenium and cilantro to mobilize, and DMSA to chelate. This morning I've woke up with pretty strong fungus symptoms: bad breath, itchy places on the body, and loose stools that smell like alcohol (literally as if I'd drank a whole lot of whiskey the night before).

This would be very confusing were it not for the theory out there that heavy metal detox can actually trigger mold to proliferate in the body. Of course it could be something else too, but it looks like this does actually happen.

Will be taking nystatin and lots of chlorella for a few days to see how it pans out.

Hello Carl, If you killed off the intestinal biota with your protocol, that would leave the area wide open for a fungal infection. (Candida)
You might think about repopulating with pro-biotics.

Gaby said:
Fungi is often released when you do heavy metal chelation. When trying nystatin, ideally it should be at least one week in order to decrease the chance of creating resistant fungi. Pretty much like with any anti-microbial.

Pau D'Arco is also good to fight fungi.

Thanks for the heads up, I will use both of them for the 11 days up until the next round.

MusicMan said:
Hello Carl, If you killed off the intestinal biota with your protocol, that would leave the area wide open for a fungal infection. (Candida)
You might think about repopulating with pro-biotics.

I'm staying clear of antibacterials so don't think I've been killing off the 'good guys', but yes this is something to watch out for generally.

anarkist said:
Hi!
Just out on Monday is a great youtube video from Dr Mercola and Chris Shade about detoxing safely. Mr Shade goes into inorganic and methyl mercury, detox herbs, chemicals, diet (he recommends FAT! :-) lots of info here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKQ5JLINTA
also, as per Joes post above, EDTA is a great biofilm disruptor which is important as we know for dealing withbacteria virii fungi...
Mr Shade also talks about his product "imd" (sp?) which does a good job of taking out heavy metals and supporting the liver/detox process.

Here is the Mercola article that makes an easy and informative read:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/06/19/heavy-metal-detoxification.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20160619Z1&et_cid=DM108898&et_rid=1535208925

I've been doing a bit more research into heavy metal detox since the recent articles by Chris Shade who does not advocate the typical DMSA route. Since I have done a fair bit of DMSA, and it's pretty painful every time, I would like to try something else. I started putting together a big word document with all of the information.

Below are some notes I made based on this - mainly focusing on what are the most easily-available treatment options. I will be doing this kind of detox at a gentle and slow rate over a few months and will see what the results are

From what I've gathered so far, the idea is to create a gradient away from the body so that toxic compounds and metals will flow out, instead of further in. This is particularly true when we start using mobilizers and chelators. If the flow out is blocked, the heavy metals can become further entrenched in the body, into the CNS and brain. So, we move from the 'bottom up', with the gut, liver/kidneys and lymph system worked on first.

This doesn't include anything about diet and general inflammation-reducing, which should naturally be worked on before any detox is attempted.

Heavy-metal-detox-intestines-compressor.jpg

This image shows the 3 detoxification stages. On the right it shows how inflammation slows down all of the detox processes through a negative feedback loop.

The Gut

We want to get metals and toxins flowing out of the body through the intestines. Phase 3 takes toxins from the blood, through the liver, into the small intestine. If they hang around here then they can be re-absorbed and cause further inflammation, contributing to that feedback loop. They are also exreceted through bile, through the kidneys into the urine, and possibly through sweat.

Binding toxins in the intestines and moving them on reduces inflammation and ‘un-clogs the pipes’, allowing the detox system to move more freely.

Chlorella is the most popular supplement for this. Combined with charcoal it could be effective in the long term. It is safe, well-known and used for a long time. However some cannot tolerate it.

Microsilica - IMD (Intestinal Metal Detox) by QuickSilver Scientific.
This is the product mentioned in the Mercola article above. This binds to toxins in the gut. Apparently it has a much greater affinity and capability for binding heavy metals than chlorella. This product is very expensive and not widely used. Among the few users who have reviewed, I have seen favourable reviews on the likes of CureZone, AutismWeb and PhoenixRising. This product is very expensive however.

There is another product called MetalSweep by BipPure which does the same thing, and is apparently made up of nano-silica. Also very expensive.

Another option would be Diatomaceous Earth, a silica-based binder which works on the gut in a similar way. From Wikipedia, “It has a particle size ranging from less than 3 micrometres to more than 1 millimetre, but typically 10 to 200 micrometres.”

Enterosgel is another one that is widely used medically although its effects on heavy metals aren’t clear.

Activated Charcoal helps mop up various toxins.

Support Liver and kidneys

Milk Thistle and NAC can be used for liver support, both are very popular for this.
Another option is Dandelion for Kidneys. High quality tinctures are recommended when using herbals.

Another thing is that Dr Hulda Clark explains that having parasites can be bad for the liver and getting rid of them will improve liver health (among many other things). You can attack the parasites simultaneously to doing the gut cleansing. In fact, taking the 3 herbs recommended for Dr Clarks protocol in a tincture (Black Walnut, Wormwood and Common Cloves) synergises in other ways too. They have anti-viral, anti-fungal properties. Cloves have anti-inflammatory properties, and wormwood increases acidity of the stomach and bile production (both good for phase 3 detox).

Support Lymphatic System and Extra-Cellular Matrix (ECM)

A large network of fluid-filled nodes, glands, vessels and organs, the lymphatic system cleanses toxins by carrying them away from tissues and into the blood stream. The ECM is the area between cells, containing lymphatic fluid across through which all nutrition and all waste must pass for exchange between blood and cells. Sinus problems, swollen glands, puffy eyes, water retention, or general upper respiratory problems can be a sign of a sluggish lymph system.

There are various methods to get the lymph flowing, including jumping up and down, being upside down, massage, dry brushing, exercising often and staying well hydrated.

Cleavers tincture is a well-known herbal medicine for cleansing the lymph, which I have not tried yet but have ordered to experiment with.

Upregulate NRF-2

Glutathione works properly with proper expression of glutathione-S-transferase, which is made possible by upregulating NRF-2.

Polyphenols, and R-lipoic acid, activate Nrf2 and induce phase II enzymes through the antioxidant response element.

Milk thistle, turmeric, green tea, ashwaganda contain polyphenols which can achieve this, and there are many other botanicals with the same effect.

MSM also seems to achieve the same thing, along with having numerous other benefits.

Garlic (allicin and diallyl disulphide) also help with this.

Intracellular Detox
All of this should be done slowly.

Glutathione the most important substance for detoxification in this protocol without chelators. It is worth taking it liposomally to get the effects instead of relying on NAC or whey protein. Lipo Glutathione is fairly expensive, but it seems that this can be made in the same way as Lipo vitamin C, although how effective it is homemade from a jewellery cleaner is not clear.

R-Alpha Lipoid acid. The powerful antioxidant which regenerates other antioxidants, and also acts as a chelator. It is easily absorbed in the gut and crosses the blood brain barrier and cell membranes. Therefore ALA poses risks for redistribution of heavy metals if we don't have that 'gradient' set up correctly.

Iodine - mobiliser.

Cilantro - It's not actually clear how effective cilantro is but many people seem to believe it is a strong mobiliser also.

Extra:

Molybdenum: Could be helpful if there is a problem with sulphur compounds which are created when these supplements begin detoxing things. Molybdenum is said to help with the detoxing of sulphites and may make it go smoother.

B vitamins, vitamin E, vitamin C.

Some further reading
Chelation: Harnessing and Enhancing Heavy Metal Detoxification—A Review

Mercury toxicity and antioxidants: part I: role of glutathione and alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of mercury toxicity. (Mercury Toxicity).

Sulforaphane and α-Lipoic Acid Upregulate the Expression of the π Class of Glutathione S-Transferase through c-Jun and Nrf2 Activation

Transcription factor Nrf2 is essential for induction of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1, glutathione S-transferases, and glutamate cysteine ligase by broccoli seeds and isothiocyanates.

Upregulation of phase II enzymes through phytochemical activation of Nrf2 protects cardiomyocytes against oxidant stress.

Phytochemicals and botanical extracts regulate NF-κB and Nrf2/ARE reporter activities in DI TNC1 astrocytes.

Loss of the Nrf2 transcription factor causes a marked reduction in constitutive and inducible expression of the glutathione S-transferase Gsta1, Gsta2, Gstm1, Gstm2, Gstm3 and Gstm4 genes in the livers of male and female mice.

MSM ameliorates HIV-1 Tat induced neuronal oxidative stress via rebalance of the glutathione cycle.

Thanks for the summary, Carl. Very valuable information!

I similarly started taking notes, strategizing and planning an HM detox after reading the Chris Shade article. As discussed on the latest H&W Show(https://www.sott.net/article/320823-The-Health-Wellness-Show-Get-the-lead-out-Detoxifying-heavy-metals), I've had a persistent issue with a metallic taste in my mouth and occasional sore teeth since starting the iodine. After reading the Chris Shade article I had an "aha" moment, and I think what's going on is that I'm mobilizing HMs with the iodine but my gut isn't clear enough to be eliminating them. This makes sense since I notice the same effect when I'm not taking any iodine but take R-Lipoic Acid.

My plan is to start with the gut, as elucidated by Shade, with chlorella, activated charcoal and modified citrus pectin. I'll likely be taking NAC at this time, too. I'm not doing iodine at all at this point, but I figure I'll start up again, along with ALA and cilantro, after concentrating on the gut for awhile.

Thanks again for the summary, Carl. I found it very helpful.

That's a really useful find Carl - I knew about toxins potentially being reabsorbed by the intestines, but didn't know that inflamed intestines reduced detox.
One thing I found really handy for calming the intestines is Berberine, so I checked and it activates Nrf2 as well.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0041008X1300358X
In conclusion, BBR attenuated high glucose-induced neurotoxicity, and we are the first to reveal this novel mechanism of BBR as an Nrf2 activator against glucose neurotoxicity, providing another potential therapeutic use of BBR on the treatment of diabetic complications.

It heals the gut as well
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23757509
Berberine treatment also led to a notable restoration of intestinal villi/mucosa structure and less infiltration of inflammatory cells, along with a decrease in plasma lipopolysaccharide (LPS) level. Tight junction protein zonula occludens 1 (ZO1) was also decreased in diabetic rats but was restored by Berberine treatment. Glutamine-induced glucagon-like peptide 2 (GLP2) secretion from ileal tissue decreased dramatically in the diabetic group but was restored by Berberine treatment. Fasting insulin, insulin resistance index, plasma LPS level, and ZO1 expression were significantly correlated with GLP2 level. In type 2 diabetic rats, Berberine treatment not only augments GLP2 secretion and improves diabetes but is also effective in repairing the damaged intestinal mucosa, restoring intestinal permeability, and improving endotoxemia. Whether these effects are mechanistically related will require further studies, but they certainly support the hypothesis that Berberine acts via modulation of intestinal function.

Another Nrf2 activator is resveratrol
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25761698
Resveratrol restored Nrf2 function, reduced renal inflammation, and mitigated hypertension in spontaneously hypertensive rats.

Compelling evidence supports the role of oxidative stress and renal interstitial inflammation in the pathogenesis of hypertension. Resveratrol is a polyphenolic stilbene, which can lower oxidative stress by activating the transcription factor nuclear factor-E2-related factor-2 (Nrf2), the master regulator of numerous genes encoding antioxidant and phase II-detoxifying enzymes and molecules. Given the role of oxidative stress and inflammation in the pathogenesis of hypertension, we conducted this study to test the hypothesis that long-term administration of resveratrol will attenuate renal inflammation and oxidative stress and, hence, progression of hypertension in the young spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR). SHR and control [Wistar-Kyoto (WKY)] rats were treated for 9 wk with resveratrol or vehicle in their drinking water. Vehicle-treated SHR exhibited renal inflammatory injury and oxidative stress, as evidenced by glomerulosclerosis, tubulointerstitial injury, infiltration of inflammatory cells, and increased levels of renal 8-isoprostane and protein carbonylation. This was associated with reduced antioxidant capacity and downregulations of Nrf2 and phase II antioxidant enzyme glutathione-S-transferase (GST). Resveratrol treatment mitigated renal inflammation and injury, reduced oxidative stress, normalized antioxidant capacity, restored Nrf2 and GST activity, and attenuated the progression of hypertension in SHR. However, resveratrol had no effect on these parameters in WKY rats. In conclusion, development and progression of hypertension in the SHR are associated with inflammation, oxidative stress, and impaired Nrf2-GST activity in the kidney. Long-term administration of resveratrol restores Nrf2 expression, ameliorates inflammation, and attenuates development of hypertension in SHR. Clinical studies are needed to explore efficacy of resveratrol in human hypertension.

Incidentally I find chlorella upset my guts, so I'm still trying to work out why that is.

RedFox said:
Incidentally I find chlorella upset my guts, so I'm still trying to work out why that is.

I'm sensitive to chorella too, I found out after separating supplements that if I take it alone, and a lot of it, I vomit pretty harshly for hours afterwards. I researched this, and plenty of people have reported the same. If I took 1/2 tablets, I'd get stomach ache and indigestion.

Caution: About 30% of people can't tolerate chlorella. This may be due to optimized function of the enzyme cellulase. If you are unable to tolerate this it would be wise to consider adding an enzyme with cellulase in it to help digest the chlorella.

Caution: If at any time one develops nausea or starts "burping up" the chlorella taste then the chlorella should be stopped immediately as a food sensitivity is developing which will only worsen if you continue taking it. If this happens you should switch to ProChitosan. This binds similarly to mercury. Its dose is dependent on your bowel movements.

If you have one bowel movement a day or less you should start two days prior to the DMPS. If you have two or more bowel movements, you can start 24 hours prior to the DMPS. Stay on it for 24 hours after the DMPS. So you will be on it either two or three days. The dose is two capsules three times a day. Be sure to drink it with plenty of water and increase magnesium if constipation develops.

Porphrazyme from Biotics Research is another alternative to chlorella that many clinicians have had success with in mercury detoxification.

I've decided that nope, Chorella is not for me - there's a few members on here who have reported the same, I just can't find them atm!

https://www.mercola.com/article/mercury/detox_protocol.htm

Lilyalic said:
I'm sensitive to chorella too, I found out after separating supplements that if I take it alone, and a lot of it, I vomit pretty harshly for hours afterwards. I researched this, and plenty of people have reported the same. If I took 1/2 tablets, I'd get stomach ache and indigestion.

Same for me. The first time I took 5 or 6 tablets of chlorella on an empty stomach, I also vomited violently. I do not want to repeat this experience! ;) Later I started taking fewer tablets of chlorella after a meal, and that was okay.

I stumbled upon this website with testimonials, some of them are pretty lame but some are worth considering, especially warnings about chlorella and cilantro - some serious side effects reported...

__http://cutlersuccessstories.weebly.com/what-not-to-do.html#cilantrochlorella

Z said:
I stumbled upon this website with testimonials, some of them are pretty lame but some are worth considering, especially warnings about chlorella and cilantro - some serious side effects reported...

__http://cutlersuccessstories.weebly.com/what-not-to-do.html#cilantrochlorella

Yeah I don't think some dried cilantro leaves in your herbs are going to trigger the same reaction as a concentrated tincture for a theraputic purpose. Sounds more like a food sensitivity or allergy here.

Chlorella doesn't seem so bad unless there is a sensitivity, though I should probably study it more. Not sure what he's talking about with it "moving the mercury round" - it is not known as a mobilizer.

Cutler was dismissed on this forum due to his jealous guarding of copyright - there's a quite bitter article about it from a former member here:
_http://thepowerofozone.com/20150317does-the-ketogenic-diet-get-rid-of-candida-the-ketosis-candida-mercury-link/

Hello. I have a question for those who have made chelation. I am doing EDTA IV yestarday was my 4 round. I am taking 300mg IV EDTA every week, the day after I have noticed that my knees are swollen and painful. Also I am taking NAC, ALA, Trace minerals, magnesium, b complex(L-5-MTHF), vitamin c, vitamin e and infrared sauna. I don´t know if is a detox symptom or the IV duration is very fast, it is taking like one hour 30 minutes. What can I do? Thank you!

ClaudiaYG said:
Hello. I have a question for those who have made chelation. I am doing EDTA IV yestarday was my 4 round. I am taking 300mg IV EDTA every week, the day after I have noticed that my knees are swollen and painful. Also I am taking NAC, ALA, Trace minerals, magnesium, b complex(L-5-MTHF), vitamin c, vitamin e and infrared sauna. I don´t know if is a detox symptom or the IV duration is very fast, it is taking like one hour 30 minutes. What can I do? Thank you!

I don't have any personal experience with this but you should see this site here. Maybe the infusion is too fast. You are having this done at a doctor's office, right? If you are, what does the doctor say? If you aren't... :umm:

ClaudiaYG said:

Hi ClaudiaYG :)
I can't say for sure, but if you're suffering from some sort of stealth infection, the IV chelation may be disturbing biofilms and causing an immune reaction, leading to an autoimmune reaction. I'm just guessing here, but it could be the case. The site that Odyssey posted suggests a 3.5 to 4 hour chelation, so 1.5 hours seems very fast. Is there a way you could slow down the process to see if things improve?

dugdeep said:
Hi ClaudiaYG :)
I can't say for sure, but if you're suffering from some sort of stealth infection, the IV chelation may be disturbing biofilms and causing an immune reaction, leading to an autoimmune reaction. I'm just guessing here, but it could be the case. The site that Odyssey posted suggests a 3.5 to 4 hour chelation, so 1.5 hours seems very fast. Is there a way you could slow down the process to see if things improve?

Yes this is quite probable. Also when you are moving metals around it is not unusual to get inflammation and other 'detox' symptoms. I don't know much about IV chelation but I would expect it to be more intense, and therefore more taxing on the body than oral chelation. If it continues and gets worse or becomes unmanageable, I would stop for a while and see if it improves.

I've started experimenting with taking 1 tablet of 500mg chlorella a day to see if I notice any bad reactions. If no bad reactions, I'll increase by 1 tablet and see how that goes.

Green Foods Organic Chlorella 500 Mg
_https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NGOJ6A

Back
Top Bottom