DMSA for heavy metal detox - how long available?

Potamus said:
Psyche thanks for that article! It will take me a while to digest (I want to detox also), I am wondering if this notion in more accepted in France? I'd like to confirm these:

- W. Bush along with Bill Frist have blocked the story in the US up to an including pressuring the Centers for Disease Control (supposedly impartial) to equivocate on the issue.

- There is a special system of courts set up here in the US for parents attempting to sue.

- The damages if proven true are huge $$$ pharmies would have to pay for years of inducing autism.

Without Thimerosal, how volatile are vaccines? Can they simply not be delivered at all, or do they cost 50% more because they must be shipped weekly instead of bi-annually? This part of the equation completely eludes me as of yet.

I don't have those answers, but I know there is a lot of info in sott.net and this forum related to this, don't hesitate to do a search to check what we have archived. Perhaps others can add more details. FWIW:

autism.com said:
Thimerosal in Childhood Vaccines

Thimerosal, a preservative utilized in the production of numerous medications including
infant vaccines and immune globulin products contains 49.6% ethyl mercury by weight.
The history of thimerosal use in vaccines is complex. It was first used in the late 1930’s,
and as the number of vaccinations given to human infants increased, the amount of
injected thimerosal increased. Thimerosal was removed from animal vaccines in the
early 1990’s. As part of an ongoing review of biological products, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) announced in 1999 that infants who received multiple mercury-
preserved vaccines may have been exposed to cumulative mercury levels in excess of
Federal safety guidelines.In 1999, the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics)
recommended it be removed from childhood vaccines , and in 2001 the FDA asked (but
did not require) vaccine manufacturers to remove it from childhood vaccines. Today,
thimerosal has been removed from most but not all childhood vaccines. In September
2004, California passed legislation to ban thimerosal use in childhood vaccines, and
several other states have passed similar laws.

Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative (50% mercury) which was commonly used in
most childhood vaccines until recently. Some examples of the thimerosal content of
childhood vaccines includes Hep B (12.5 mcg), DTaP (25 mcg), HiB (25 mcg), and PCV
(25 mcg). The HepB vaccine is given at birth, and assuming that the infant weighs 3.4 kg
(7.5 pounds), then their “safe” exposure limit per the EPA is 0.34 mcg, so that their
injection with HepB exceeds the recommended “safe” limits by a factor of 36; lower
body weight infants are at higher risk, as vaccines are one of the rare medications where
the dose does not depend on age or bodyweight (the same dose is given to an adult as a
premature infant). If an infant were fully vaccinated in the 1990’s, then they received
approximately 237.5 mcg of mercury during their first 15 months of life.

It is interesting to note that thimerosal in vaccines was introduced in the late 1930’s, only
a few short years before Dr. Leo Kanner described a new mental disorder which differed
“markedly and uniquely from anything reported” before. In its early history autism was
diagnosed more frequently in affluent families, but became more evenly distributed
socioeconomically by the 1970’s. This apparent widening in demographics paralleled the
increasing availability of vaccines to all children through federally sponsored programs.
In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s the vaccine schedule was amended to include both
Hepatitis B and HiB vaccines. Each of these vaccines was administered to infants 3
times during the first six-months of life. Their addition to the vaccine schedule potentially
tripled an infant’s exposure to mercury, should they receive all thimerosal-containing
vaccines.

During the 1980’s and 1990’s, the Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommended
that all Rh- pregnant women receive a prophylactic dose of anti-Rho-D immune globulin
during the pregnancy at 28 weeks gestation. Prophylaxis was also recommended for any
invasive procedure like amniocentesis or villi sampling and for any episodes of bleeding
during the pregnancy. With approximately 15% of the population being Rh- and many
women choosing to delay childbirth and opting to undergo invasive procedures necessary
to identify chromosomal abnormalities, exposure to mercury prenatally has also increased
over the past decade. It has been during this same time period, the 1980’s and especially
the 1990’s, that we have witnessed a tremendous increase in the occurrence of autism
spectrum disorders. Anti Rho-D exposure levels also varied widely from a low of 7.5
mcg to a high of 65 mcg per dose. At times multiple doses were administered
throughout the pregnancy.

The potential toxicity of thimerosal in vaccines has only recently received attention, and
there has been very little study of the effect of thimerosal in infant animals. The potential
danger of thimerosal is highlighted by a 2004 study by Hornig et al, which investigated
the effect of the injection of thimerosal into infant mice, at a dosage and dosage schedule
equivalent to that given to a human infant at age 2, 4, 6, and 12 months of age (based on
the thimerosal content of the HepB, DTaP, and HiB vaccines). She found that two strains
of mice were completely unaffected, but the third strain of mice (a strain known to be
susceptible to autoimmunity) suffered several major problems, including growth delay,
reduced locomotion, exaggerated response to novelty, and abnormal development of
neurons and synapses. This important recent study suggests that although most human
infants would be unaffected by thimerosal at concentrations present in childhood
vaccines, there may be a subset of genetically-vulnerable infants who could be damaged
at dosages used in childhood vaccines. It is important to note that the families of autistic
children often have immune disorders, suggesting that their children would be more
vulnerable to thimerosal.

Toxicity of Thimerosal

Because there is little information on the toxicity of ethyl mercury (the form in
thimerosal), much of the estimation of its toxicity is based on methyl mercury. However,
a recent investigation by Burbacher (2004) in primates documented that ethyl mercury
had a shorter half-life in the blood than methyl mercury, resulting in higher blood:brain
ratios, and that it is rapidly converted to inorganic mercury, which is toxic and can stay in
the brain for years. A study by Pichichero (2002) assessed blood levels of mercury in
infants after exposure to thimerosal-containing vaccines and reported a level in a 2 month
old infant of 20.55 nmol/L, five days after receiving only a 37.5 mcg exposure (but the
level was probably even higher shortly after the injection). According to a letter to the
editor written by Dr. Neal Halsey, a dose of 62.5 mcg could well have resulted in a peak
blood mercury level of 48.3nmol/l. Applying Burbacher’s newly reported brain to blood
partition ratio predicted brain levels of mercury would be 217.35 ng/g. Given that Baskin
et al. (2003) have documented DNA damage, caspase-3 activation, nuclear membrane
damage and cell death in cultured adult human neurons and fibroblasts exposed to 201
mcg/l ethyl mercury after 6 hours or less of incubation, it seems likely that routine
vaccination practices during the 1990’s may have resulted in neurodevelopmental injury
to some infants.

Similarly, a study by Waly et al., (2004) documented that thimerosal, at low
nanomolar concentrations, inhibited insulin like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) and dopamine
stimulated methylation in human neuroblastoma cells, indicating its potential to disrupt
normal growth factor control and methylation. Levels of thimerosal exposure that
produced these abnormalities were well below the documented levels found to occur in
infants from exposure to thimerosal containing vaccines in the Pichichero investigation
cited above. This investigation provides a molecular explanation for how increased use of
vaccines could promote an increase in the incidence of autism.

[...]

Heavy metals, including the ethylmercury from thimerosal, have important effects
on metabolic pathways that are involved with sulfur-containing amino acids (e.g.
methionine, S-adenosylmethionine, S-adenosylhomocysteine, homocysteine and
cysteine) sulfur-containing peptides (e.g. glutathione). The ability to clear metals from
the body depends upon the levels of these thiols, especially the concentration of
glutathione. Their lower levels of glutathione place autistic children at greater risk for
heavy metal toxicity directed against the very system that defends them.

Research by R. Deth et al. has shown that heavy metals and thimerosal potently
inhibit the activity of methionine synthase, which uses folate-derived methyl groups to
convert homocysteine to methionine. This inhibition blocks the ability of insulin-like
growth factor-1 (IGF-1) and dopamine to activate this enzyme, thereby interfering with
the role of methylation in development and in the molecular mechanism of attention.

[...]

Epidemiology of Autism and Thimerosal in Vaccines:

There is a historical correlation of autism and thimerosal in vaccines. Thimerosal
was first used in infant vaccines in the late 1930’s, and the first cases of autism were
diagnosed by Kanner shortly thereafter. As the number of thimerosal-containing
vaccines given to children has increased, the incidence of autism has tended to increase.
Some countries with low thimerosal use (such as Denmark) have much lower rates of
autism than other countries that used high amounts of thimerosal (US).
There have been nine epidemiological studies of the link between thimerosal in
vaccines and autism. Four published studies by the Geiers have consistently found
that children who received thimerosal in their vaccines had a 2-6x higher chance of
developing autism than those who received thimerosal-free vaccines. Four published
studies by groups affiliated with vaccine manufacturers have failed to find a link,
and one was inconclusive, but those studies are somewhat flawed. Three of the
negative studies were in countries with much lower usage of thimerosal than in the US,
and they had much lower rates of autism in those countries, so it is invalid to extrapolate
those results to the US. One of the US studies initially stated in an internal report to the
CDC that the children who received thimerosal in their vaccines had a 7-11x higher risk
of developing autism, but the data was manipulated until the relative risk disappeared. In
general, we believe the studies by governmental agencies and vaccine manufacturers are
suspect, and an independent evaluation of the CDC database is needed.

Summary: Children with autism have a low ability to excrete mercury and other toxic
metals, especially in infancy. This results in an increased body burden of mercury and
other toxic metals, which probably is a major contributor to the development of autism in
most of the children. Removal of those toxic metals from their body often results in
reduction of the symptoms of autism, especially in younger children.

Mark Hyman said:
Dr. Haley reported on the toxicity of thimerosal. It is
quickly converted to ethylmercury in the body where it moves
rapidly from blood to brain. Mercury is lipophilic and concen-
trates in the brain; therefore, blood levels are not an accurate
measurement of total body burden of mercury. Genetic poly-
morphisms of glutathione disulfide (GSST) prevent excretion
of mercury. Mercury can only be excreted when complexed
with glutathione (GSH). If it cannot be eliminated because
GSH or GSST is lacking, then the mercury stays in tissues and
does damage. Thimersol inhibits methionine synthease and
methylene reductase and thus has significant effects on the
body’s ability to methylate and to produce glutathione.

[...]

Dr. Cave analyzed conflicting recommendations and reports
from the CDC, and from epidemiologic reports concluding that
there is a causal relationship between childhood vaccines con-
taining thimerosal and neurodevelopmental disorders in chil-
dren. She critiqued the Lancet Study, which concluded no toxic
effect from thimerosal for numerous reasons including small
sample size (33), blood drawn on day 7, not true peak level on
day 3, variability in amounts of thimerosal exposure, and
reduced exposure compared to current vaccine schedules. The
population-based cohort study from Denmark published in
JAMA reported no increased risk of autism with thimerosal.
The authors of the study were affiliated with the state-run
Statens Serum Institut. Eighty percent of its profits on $120
million in annual revenue is from vaccines. The methodology
was also called into question because of inconsistencies in the
reporting system.

A case control study of 221 children with autism and 18
controls found that after a DMSA challenge test, vaccinated
autistic children had three times the level of mercury in their
urine compared to controls.

I checked the link that you posted Gandalf, http://dmsachelation.com/, The price for 340 capsule of 100mg is $225.95. You need 45 capsules per cycles (one cycles is 2 weeks) or 15 per day for 3 days and 11 days without. They say that you may need up to 10 to 12 cycles to eliminates lead and mercury so up to 450 caps for a full treatment. I searched the forum in the last few day for additional way to detox heavy metal, this is the first time that I come upon DMSA. I haven't read Baker's "Detoxification and Healing" yet and won't start using DMSA before I do.
Laura do you agree that it take 10 to 12 cycles for complete or almost complete detoxification of lead and mercury if not, what do you estimate it could be. I guess that it is different from everyone depending on many factor, vaccination, diet, dental filling, prior detox etc... and also is it ok to use it even if we still have dental filling with mercury.
Posté par: Psyche
I do believe that Mark Hyman suggests some 7 months of preparation to do the mercury detox, which includes starting a healthy diet and taking some supplementation.
Citation de: autism.com
Prior to beginning detoxification therapy, it is important to first address several issues, including reduction of toxic exposure, improvement of nutritional status, normalization of glutathione levels, treatment of intestinal dysbiosis
That is what I did so far since last May. Anti-Candida, diet and supplement and Far infrared sauna, reducing as much as possible toxic exposure. I'm ready to got with this I think.

I thought it would be interesting to see the disclaimer of DMSA therapies from autism.com, for children with autism:

autism.com said:
Disclaimers for parents and family members:

1. Many families are treating their autistic children with therapies similar to those listed in this
monograph without involving a physician or other health care provider. That most of them do
so without any adverse consequences is a testament to the safety of the drugs and
supplements used
. However, DMSA, DMPS and some of the supplements present a small but
non-zero risk of serious side effects. Life, in general, is a series of risks; the risk of serious
side effects can be reduced by careful medical monitoring during treatment.
2. Not every physician is able or willing to carry out the therapies described in this monograph.
Have a frank and open discussion with your physician or other medical practitioner before
embarking on these treatments.
3. Despite miraculous case reports heard on the grapevine and on the Internet, these therapies
will not work for every autistic person. Even those who do improve may have slow or
incremental improvement.
4. In general, younger patients appear to respond more quickly than older patients, but this has
not yet been adequately investigated.

:)

Laurentien said:
That is what I did so far since last May. Anti-Candida, diet and supplement and Far infrared sauna, reducing as much as possible toxic exposure. I'm ready to got with this I think.

I think so to. :)

Everybody reacts slightly different to the DMSA. Some have considerable symptoms at the beginning, others do relatively fine. Depending on how it goes, we can put together a "how to" manual with some background information. There is a lot of info here in the forum and in sott.net, we've been trying to keep track of all the research about heavy metal detox. The suggested health books are highly recommended, specially "Detoxification and Healing" by Sidney Baker.

Thanks for bringing this up Laura, it's pretty expensive though I will buy it and start with it after a few months, so far I feel good with the supplements I am taken,some things that I need to focus on is sleeping more early and achieve a completely healthy diet without taking any poisened food ever again, the latter is really difficult to achieve since you need to spend an enormous amount of money in order to get the ball rolling.

thanks again for this thread!

Laurentien said:
I checked the link that you posted Gandalf, http://dmsachelation.com/, The price for 340 capsule of 100mg is $225.95. You need 45 capsules per cycles (one cycles is 2 weeks) or 15 per day for 3 days and 11 days without. They say that you may need up to 10 to 12 cycles to eliminates lead and mercury so up to 450 caps for a full treatment. I searched the forum in the last few day for additional way to detox heavy metal, this is the first time that I come upon DMSA. I haven't read Baker's "Detoxification and Healing" yet and won't start using DMSA before I do.
Laura do you agree that it take 10 to 12 cycles for complete or almost complete detoxification of lead and mercury if not, what do you estimate it could be. I guess that it is different from everyone depending on many factor, vaccination, diet, dental filling, prior detox etc... and also is it ok to use it even if we still have dental filling with mercury.

I have not started using DMSA for the moment since I still have dental filling (16). I think it would be better to remove your dental filling before beginning to use DMSA, but I am not 100% certain of that.

Thursday morning, I will have 4 dentat fillings removed. May i say that ii is a lot a lot pricey. Three of them are so big that i do not have the choice but to replace them with ceramic teeth (cerec). :(

Laurentien said:
I checked the link that you posted Gandalf, http://dmsachelation.com/, The price for 340 capsule of 100mg is $225.95. You need 45 capsules per cycles (one cycles is 2 weeks) or 15 per day for 3 days and 11 days without.

We have been using 18 per cycle, 2 100mg 3 X daily.

Laurentien said:
They say that you may need up to 10 to 12 cycles to eliminates lead and mercury so up to 450 caps for a full treatment.

Baker says 5 to 6 cycles.

Laurentien said:
I searched the forum in the last few day for additional way to detox heavy metal, this is the first time that I come upon DMSA. I haven't read Baker's "Detoxification and Healing" yet and won't start using DMSA before I do.

Good, he has an excellent protocol that isn't too harsh. But it sure works.

Laurentien said:

See above. According to Baker, 5 to 6 cycles. If you do a cycle and nothing happens, then I guess you are done. But I suspect that you will need to do it once or twice a year for maintenance.

Laurentien said:

Well, get Baker's book first and read it carefully. His chapter on fats is a revelation.

Also, I've been doing the mercury detox while having my amalgams removed. I may do an extra cycle or two just to be sure. I have the last two removed on Friday. (Had two done today.)

Gandalf said:
I have not started using DMSA for the moment since I still have dental filling (16). I think it would be better to remove your dental filling before beginning to use DMSA, but I am not 100% certain of that.

Thursday morning, I will have 4 dentat fillings removed. May i say that ii is a lot a lot pricey. Three of them are so big that i do not have the choice but to replace them with ceramic teeth (cerec). :(

I asked my dentist about removing the old fillings and he said it wsn't necessary (of course!) and that I'd be opening a can of worms because it coud lead to more problems with my teeth, like, what's underneath the filings could get worse.

I'm gonna ask again next time I go, and get a quote of what it would cost, I've got about four of them. :scared:

Posté par: Gandalf
I have not started using DMSA for the moment since I still have dental filling
Laura said:
Also, I've been doing the mercury detox while having my amalgams removed. I may do an extra cycle or two just to be sure. I have the last two removed on Friday. (Had two done today.)
How Did I Get Heavy Metals (Mercury and Lead) In My Body?
There are several possible ways heavy metals got into your body. Below each of the more common exposures will be discussed. Remember there are no safe levels for heavy metals. Chelation of toxic heavy metals with DMSA is well documented in the scientific literature. There are several other chelation agents but DMSA so far as been proven to be the safest and most effective.
Mercury
There are 4 main sources of mercury poisoning:

1. In Vitro, passed from mother to baby

2. Vaccinations

3. Dental Amalgams or 'Silver Fillings'

4. Contraception Pills and Contact Lense Solution
[/quote]

I asked my dentist a few weeks ago if white amalgams contain mercury an she said no, only the silver filling. I have 2 of the silver one that I intent to replace shortly with white one but, I am still confuse, is all amalgam contain mercury.

We have been using 18 per cycle, 2 100mg 3 X daily.
Baker says 5 to 6 cycles.

Thank Laura, I will read the book, I asked because I like to order it soon and do not want to buy a unnecessary quantity. It is pricey.

Mrs. Peel said:
I'm gonna ask again next time I go, and get a quote of what it would cost, I've got about four of them. :scared:

I used to have 26 mercury fillings :-[ . They are all gone now, I had them replaced quite a few years ago. And it was only when I changed my diet (cut out gluten and dairy) that I stopped having problems with my teeth.

Back then my dentist actually said that it was good that I had them replaced, because underneath the amalgalms, some of the teeth had problems that could had potentially ended in root canal therapy. But I dunno.

Laurentien said:
I asked my dentist a few weeks ago if white amalgams contain mercury an she said no, only the silver filling. I have 2 of the silver one that I intent to replace shortly with white one but, I am still confuse, is all amalgam contain mercury.

No white amalgams are ok and my holistic dentist told me that there is no mercury in it.

I wrote to the amazon seller where I got my dmsa before asking what was going on. Here's the response:

Hi Laura

The amazon store is having technical problems at the moment, its a problem amazon is working on. You can order directly from us at our other store front here.

http://dmsa.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6673862

The price is a bit better and there is free shipping.

If you have any questions please just ask :)
regards
Kris

Posté par: Psyche
I think so to. Smiley

Thank Psyche, always grateful to know and receive your opinion.

Posté par: Gandalf
No white amalgams are ok and my holistic dentist told me that there is no mercury in it.
Great, thank Gandalf because I have many white amalgams.

Back
Top Bottom