DMSA for heavy metal detox - how long available?

Data said:
Gee, there is even a whole German book from a Dr. Dr. Nilius which tries to 'debunk' DMSA. It is called: "Schweres Gift: Die erhöhte Bindung von Schwermetallen an Hirngewebe durch die Entgiftung mit BAL, DMSA und DMPS" ("Heavy poison: The increased binding of heavy metals to the brain caused by detoxing with BAL, DMSA and DMPS"). This individual apparently received a science award, funded by -- guess by whom -- Dentsply, the world largest supplier of dental amalgam and other dental products.

Wow! Now I know how to win an award in the sciences. In the meantime, I'll go take my last dose of DMSA for this round.

:lol:

Well, I just ordered some from the amazon seller's website. This will give me incentive to do a proper candida cleanse and food testing. I've been eating no bad stuff (dairy, gluten, sugar, etc.) for about 4.5 months and with basic supplements. Hopefully these things have good shelf life because the bottle should last a year and a half to three years depending on your maintenance frequency.

From what I've read it chelation therapies can be harmful indeed. You chelate all this heavy metals at once but where's the way out? But we have the solution so far and it's the fir sauna and expecially the coffee enema!

Most probably it's also when you kill candida and there's no way-out for the toxins it was carrying that you overload the body with poisons, and that's when you have to flush and sweat more that anything else. That's why doctors often do not recommend certain practices related to chelation if not carefully weighted, as one of the first organs that would be the target of all this load of chelated heavy metals roaming around would be the brain itself via blood.

When it's about lead/mercury detox it's also highly recommended to remove any silver/dark filling, as its nearly 'impossible to detox while your body it's the first source of pollution'.

It could be that, or not ;) that's what I've got digging through Italian sites and related external links dedicated to detox issues, and none of them ever knew about either enemas nor far infrared BTW.

Anyway, does it make sense?

Is anyone here familiar with the ionic foot cleanse. I saw a post from a lyme disease forum where this is used at a place called the Hansa center. It sounds far out, but my mind is open.

I don't have any filling, but have a dental bridge, which was done more than 10 years ago. Can someone tell me if there is mercury involved with the bridge? I did a search and it seems that dental bridge doesn't contain mercury, but I'd like to make sure.

dantem said:
Anyway, does it make sense?

Overall, the general consensus is that removal of mercury and other toxic metals is one of the most beneficial treatments for autism and related disorders. We can extrapolate this benefits to symptoms related to mercury toxicity, as in a sense, autism has been shown to be also a syndrome of mercury toxicity. Mercury chelation has been rated as one of the most beneficial bio therapies for improvement of autistic symptoms. Each person is unique, so the protocols are general guidelines.

FWIW, this are the pre-detox recommendations for autistic children, in a sense is all of the things that we've been doing since we started on our detox diets and nutritional supplementation. Have in mind that this is for children with autism, children whose detox system is completely overburdened and who are very toxified. The protocol is from around 2004:

autism.com said:
Pre-Detoxification Treatment

Prior to beginning detoxification therapy, it is important to first address several issues,
including reduction of toxic exposure, improvement of nutritional status, normalization of
glutathione levels, treatment of intestinal dysbiosis, and baseline kidney/liver function
and Complete Blood Count (CBC).

1) Reduction of Toxic Exposure: Since the goal of detoxification is to lower toxic
body burden, it is important to first reduce exposure to toxic metals as much as possible.
This includes:
• Avoidance of mercury-silver dental amalgams, which are the major source of
mercury in most Americans. If a child has mercury amalgams, they may need to
be carefully removed prior to beginning detoxification therapy. Removal should
only be done by an expert dentist trained in safe removal of amalgams, using
high-vacuum suction and other safety measures, and even those measures can
result in a temporary increase in mercury exposure.
• Avoidance of fish and some shellfish, especially the largest fish (shark, swordfish,
tuna), which are highest in mercury. (Purified fish oil is allowed, as that contains
important essential fatty acids and does not contain significant amounts of
mercury. The safest oils are those that have also been tested for PCB’s and other
fat-soluble toxins).
• Purified water: have it tested by your local water company, or use reverse
osmosis to remove all the toxic (and sadly the essential) minerals
• Organic foods (preferred) or extensive washing of the surfaces of fruits and
vegetables.
• Use only thimerosal-free vaccines.

2) Nutritional Status: Most children with autism have a need for increased amounts of
vitamins, minerals, and some amino acids. Zinc is of especial concern, as it is usually
low in autism. Some detoxification agents can remove essential minerals, so additional
minerals will be needed. Anti-oxidant therapy is important to reduce oxidative stress and
to raise glutathione levels. Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, zinc, and selenium are
especially needed, in addition to a broad-spectrum vitamin/mineral supplement. Copper
should be avoided in most cases, since that is usually high. [when there is low levels of zinc in the body, usually the copper is high]

3) Glutathione: Glutathione plays many important roles in the body, including binding
to and eliminating toxic metals. Plasma glutathione levels are typically 50% lower in
children with autism, so it is important to normalize them prior to beginning
detoxification. Otherwise, it is like bailing a leaky ship; you can bail out water (toxins),
but they will leak back in if the “leaks” (lack of glutathione) are not fixed. Normally,
glutathione concentrations are much higher inside cells, so it is best to measure levels
inside erythrocytes (red blood cells). [Alpha lipoic acid and N-acetylcysteine also help for the purpose of raising glutathione levels]

c) Vitamin C: a study by C. Johnston of college students found that the addition of 500
mg/day of vitamin C raised glutathione levels 50%. Raising the vitamin C to 1000 mg
had no additional benefit. [More information on the Ascorbic Acid thread]

4) Gut Dysbiosis: At least 50% of children with autism suffer from constipation and/or
diarrhea, and a study by Rosseneu found that 95% of those children had extremely high
levels of E. Coli and often other bacteria that produce high levels of endotoxins. Yeast
dysbiosis may also be a concern. Some detoxification treatments can cause or exacerbate
bacteria/yeast dysbiosis, either directly by providing food to them, or by causing
excretion of toxic metals into the gut. This appears to especially be a problem for oral
alpha lipoic acid and NAC, sometimes is a problem for oral DMSA, somewhat less of a
problem for oral DMPS, and perhaps rarely a problem for transdermal DMPS. See
Appendix D for a more detailed discussion. [We've clarified this in the following thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12791.msg132291#msg132291]

5) Monitoring Liver/Kidney/CBC before and during Detoxification
It is important to check kidney function (BUN, creatinine) and liver function (SGOT,
SGPT, GGT, ALT, AST) prior to using some detoxifiers, and it is important to continue
to monitor liver and kidney function. Similarly, it is important to check Complete Blood
Count (CBC) including platelet count prior detoxification, as some detoxifiers can
adversely affect liver/kidney function, platelet count, and lymphocytes. This is discussed
in more detail below.

I posted the disclaimer of autism.com here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16812.msg146321#msg146321

"Many families are treating their autistic children with therapies similar to those listed in this
monograph without involving a physician or other health care provider. That most of them do
so without any adverse consequences is a testament to the safety of the drugs and
supplements used. However, DMSA, DMPS and some of the supplements present a small but
non-zero risk of serious side effects. Life, in general, is a series of risks; the risk of serious
side effects can be reduced by careful medical monitoring during treatment."

There is a lot of contradictory information about chelation therapy in the web and we've been trying to keep track of it. We've been reading about case reports of children with autism who improve significantly and other well reported data. The general consensus is that these therapies do work despite all the claims of the contrary. Our experience with DMSA is also encouraging, even though it has been tough for some of us. When chelating heavy metals, there should be symptoms, but not to the point when it comes overwhelming unbearable, if this happens, the dose has to be lowered. I do agree that there should be a preparatory phase before chelating heavy metals with DMSA, say for instance an elimination diet, nutritional supplements, addressing candida problems, saunas if can be afforded. In short, all the things we've already been doing.

My 2 centavos.

mattnapa said:
Is anyone here familiar with the ionic foot cleanse. I saw a post from a lyme disease forum where this is used at a place called the Hansa center. It sounds far out, but my mind is open.

You might be interesting in the following thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10001.0

Bobo08 said:
I don't have any filling, but have a dental bridge, which was done more than 10 years ago. Can someone tell me if there is mercury involved with the bridge? I did a search and it seems that dental bridge doesn't contain mercury, but I'd like to make sure.

I don't think it does. Perhaps you can contact the dentist who did this procedure to make sure though.

Video about mercury amalgams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiA

:shock:

Bobo08 said:

I had the same problem and asked my friendly holistic dentist:

My bridge does not contain mercury and in general mercury in dental bridges is not common. So you have a very good chance that your bridge is free of mercury. However, there is no 100% guarantee. If you want to be sure, you will have to follow Psyche's advice and ask your dentist.

Psyche said:
Video about mercury amalgams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiA

Have you seen the video of the withdrawing brain neurons when exposed to mercury?

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/177144-Video-Brain-Neuron-Degeneration-via-Mercury-Poisoning

Data said:
Have you seen the video of the withdrawing brain neurons when exposed to mercury?

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/177144-Video-Brain-Neuron-Degeneration-via-Mercury-Poisoning

:shock: :cry: I'm mourning for the loss of neurons. :(

I've ordered Baker's book and will order DMSO when I have done the reading.

A question:
Has anyone done a urine test for heavy metals, such as sold on dmsachelation (http://www.dmsachelation.com/urinetest/)?
Is it necessary to do that prior to start a heavy metal detox - or can one safely assume that everyone is subject to heavy metal detox?

Or maybe one should do a few cycles and then do the urine test to see if there are still heavy metals excreted - but then again one would want to have a comparison "before/ after".

Has anyone done this test?

Back
Top Bottom