DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

Laura said:
I have some pharmaceutical grade DMSO and I pour about two teaspoons in a glass in the evening, put my 20 mg of doxycycline in it, add about 2 teaspoons of distilled water, and then take it in my mouth and swish it around for about 2 or 3 minutes and then swallow it. So I guess it is about 50% solution. It's REALLY working on my mouth. That inflamed area of my jaw has calmed down about 70% in just a couple of days. Or more, actually. I expect it to be completely soothed by tomorrow after tonight's dose of DMSO.

After reading all presented here about DMSO and the success others have had using it to heal wounds, I have ordered a pharmaceutical grade DMSO from Amazon.com.

I had Bell's Palsy over 20 years ago and still suffer from facial nerve inflammation between times, when I'm run down. From all I understand about Bell's Palsy, it is likely caused by a strain of the Herpes virus. I can usually quiet the nerve with castor oil packs and boosting my immune system. But I also take acyclovir if I experience facial tics. This occurs rarely, but a month long regimen of acyclovir relieved this. Scared the crap outta me too...as many who suffer Bell's Palsy, later develop Multiple Sclerosis. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach when I attended a lecture in med school, and heard this. :scared:

So, my question is, would it be advisable to add my acyclovir to DMSO/distilled water as Laura did with the doxycycline? I was always weary of DMSO, because it crosses the blood/brain barrier, however, when dealing with a virus in the Central Nervous System, this would be a plus! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi LissyLou,

In the book there is a mention of a study from the 60s made in mice with virus induced-leukemia. It says that DMSO dissolved the protein coating of the virus and left its core of nucleic acid unprotected from the host's immune response. So it is thought then that DMSO is anti-viral and helps the body fight viral infections. There are many studies quoted where DMSO sprays proved to be effective in herpes infections, i.e. shingles. It is quite amazing.

It also carries antiviral drugs into tissues where there are viral infections. I understand though that acyclovir is only effective in reactivated and replicating virus, in active infections, and not in latent ones, so unless you have an inflammation, I think there is no point in using acyclovir. I hope you won't need it.

But I'm sure the DMSO will be of help :)

My 2 centavos.

Thank you for your insight Psyche. I am going to order Morton Walker's book today. DMSO is something I should definitely keep in my medicine chest!

And thanks for pointing out that acyclovir (and many other antivirals) disrupt virus replication. I didn't even think about the mechanism of action. But I am very impressed by DMSO destroying the protein coat!

It seems I have chronic inflammation in the lymph nodes around my ear on the affected side. So determining when the virus reactivates, can be questionable. I was hoping to find a combination that would eradicate ALL the inflammation, not just keep it in check. The twitch in my upper lip that developed a year or so ago, prompted me to take acyclovir. I think mixing it with DMSO would have been a good thing. I am also wondering if DMSO applied topically along the inflammed lymph nodes would be helpful?

On a side note, regarding Oxajil and her use of antivirals for inflammation of the eye. (discussed here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16040.0) perhaps adding the antiviral to DMSO would benefit her?

I am so impressed with DMSO, that I can't believe I swept it under the rug for all these years! Thanks for adding this valuable thread to the forum!

LissyLou said:
I am also wondering if DMSO applied topically along the inflammed lymph nodes would be helpful?

Oh yes, I think it will definitely help.

On a side note, regarding Oxajil and her use of antivirals for inflammation of the eye. (discussed here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16040.0) perhaps adding the antiviral to DMSO would benefit her?

Oh yeah, I was thinking about Oxajil today when I read about some studies on eye conditions in the book. DMSO had positive effects on everything ocular: cornal swelling, cataracts, macular degeneration, macular edema, traumatic uveitis, glaucoma. It says how glaucoma drugs are potentiated when used with DMSO, but that in macular dengeneration DMSO alone is better.

It has also been proved effective in any retinal disease: deterioration, degeneration, dystrophy, etc. It is amazing how the discovery of DMSO's positive effects on the retina is described . They were giving it for patients with retinitis pigmentosa (for their muscular problems), but suddenly, some of the patients started seeing better.

Some used one drop of DMSO in the eyes: for example, in the case of cataracts. For other more specialized uses (when it was instilled "retrobulbary"), they were using a combination of 5mg DMSO in 1 cc of saline solution. Other solutions were made with 25mg DMSO plus 2 cc of superoxide dismutase once or twice a day (for cataracts and glaucoma).

Amazing stuff. :)

Thanks again Psyche. I am ordering the book straight away, along with a pharm grade DMSO gel.

I am very excited to find something with so many uses in the eye. My husband suffers from glaucoma, but is remiss to use the drops. He considered medical marijuana, as they just legalized this in our state of Michigan last year, but maybe the answer can be found with DMSO. I'm not so sure I'd tolerate him stoned much of the time. :/

Interesting, I'll look into this! Thank you for mentioning it :)

Are you suggesting that I should mix the DMSO with the antiviral ointment? I actually don't use the ointment anymore, but only the antiviral pills valaciclovir.

I could use DMSO in the eyes, 30% as Divide by Zero did.

How stable is it -- does it break down over time? For example, Hydrogen Peroxide supposedly breaks down about 10% per year in storage. I'm curious what's the shelf-life of DMSO?

Hi Pyche,

Would DSMO be worth trying on a case of central serous choreapathy (sp?)? I had leakage in the right eye starting about 2006, which was treated with phototherapy about a year and a half ago. It did help, as my vision went from 20/70, to about 20/25. I'm sure the dietary changes, which I faithfully keep to, have helped too. The fluid collection is variable, sometimes being very thin and evenly spread over the afffected area (hardly noticeable in daylight), but sometimes it can become more concentrated around the original leak. This seems to corrolate with my stress levels.

At the very least it's annoying, and the thought of it becoming worse again kinda freaks me out. :scared: If DMSO can help heal this, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Thanks,

Herondancer

Thanks for this insightful information on DMSO :). If memory serves, in Canada (need to check this again) DMSO is not available; this may have changed? In youth, we used to use it to treat horse injuries, although veterinarians likely used it across the board and probably still do.

I have a quick question about DMSO -- is there any reason to believe that it would be effective against psoriasis? I have had a bad problem with it that is apparently at least partly gluten-related, because when I cut gluten out of my diet last year, it took care of the worst case on my hands (it still flares up very occasionally when I eat out -- I suspect it might be because of eating things like soup with gluten-based thickener, which is something I try to control for but apparently don't always catch). I still have problems on other parts of my body -- using fluocinonide takes care of it, but only temporarily. I was wondering if DMSO might be a better alternative to try while I search for other dietary or environmental causes that might be the ultimate culprit.

herondancer said:
At the very least it's annoying, and the thought of it becoming worse again kinda freaks me out. :scared: If DMSO can help heal this, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Hi!

In the book it specifies how DMSO is particularly useful in any type of retinal disease. So I think that a 20-30% dilution of DMSO is worth a try for central serous choroidopathy (chorioretinopathy).

Shijing said:
I have a quick question about DMSO -- is there any reason to believe that it would be effective against psoriasis? I have had a bad problem with it that is apparently at least partly gluten-related, because when I cut gluten out of my diet last year, it took care of the worst case on my hands (it still flares up very occasionally when I eat out -- I suspect it might be because of eating things like soup with gluten-based thickener, which is something I try to control for but apparently don't always catch). I still have problems on other parts of my body -- using fluocinonide takes care of it, but only temporarily. I was wondering if DMSO might be a better alternative to try while I search for other dietary or environmental causes that might be the ultimate culprit.

Have you tried making an "overhaul" of fats in your body, mainly supplying with high quality fatty acids like omega 3s?

About DMSO and psoriasis, it seems there is not much info about it. At least I haven't come across with this in the book (I'm still reading). But I just downloaded an article from the 60s about uses of DMSO in dermatological conditions. I'll check that particular volume, as it was dedicated to the uses of DMSO (Volume 141 Issue Biological Actions of Dimethyl Sulfoxide , Pages 1 - 671 (March 1967), Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences).

The article says that topical DMSO causes dryness and scaling of the epidermis, so they thought that scaling in psoriasis would be aggravated by the use of DMSO. Here are their results:

All 18 patients with psoriasis showed either no improvement, or a worsened condition, due to continuous application of DMSO in the concentrations used, although itching was lessened.

The patients with scleroderma were greatly improved to the point where the skin became supple and ulcers healed.

Other types of dermatoses, including traumatic and burn keloids, hypertrophic scars, atopic eczema and lichen arpyloidosis, improved in varying
degrees.

They used DMSO in concentrations of 40-80%, applied with cotton-tipped applicators or by immersion two to three times daily. This is the detailed part about the results in psoriasis FWIW:

Almost all of the psoriatic patients exhibited marked improvement at the end of the first week, but after the period of from ten days to two weeks, we no longer treated psoriatics with DMSO, as the results were disastrous. One patient required hospitalization of an exfoliative erythroderma, and most of the others exhibited a sudden generalized psoriasis of the guttate type. Posttreatment biopsies of psoriatic lesions showed marked accentuation of the histologic features of psoriasis.

The other positive and even miraculous results described in scars, scleroderma, shingles, etc are the ones described in the book. So I don't know what to tell you, doing a search of DMSO in psoriasis turns results where some had used DMSO as means to carry other substances through their skins with success, clearing then psoriasis lesions. Perhaps they used it for less than a week? It will be nice to see more information.

PopHistorian said:
How stable is it -- does it break down over time? For example, Hydrogen Peroxide supposedly breaks down about 10% per year in storage. I'm curious what's the shelf-life of DMSO?

In the book it says that in pure form, the life of DMSO is indefinite, so it may be used for years.

Psoriasis is generally evidence of a very toxic colon. Best read "Detoxification and Healing" asap and also Shinya's "The Enzyme Factor." Nearly all skin afflictions that I have been reading about are related in some way to gluten and dairy consumption in one way or another. Plus, the fats issue is big. Baker devotes some time to talking about fats. Throw out the vegetable oils, bring back lard and butter for cooking and olive oil for salads and plenty of oily fish. In the meantime, take fish oil, evening primrose, CLA, etc supplements in fairly large quantities until you replace all the evil fats in your body with good ones. That can take awhile since the surface of every cell in your body is composed of fats and if you have been eating evil fats, then all your cells are coated with plastic, effectively.

Back
Top Bottom