DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

Yeah, you must be eating something inflammatory still, or not the right kind of oils and nutrients.

I found something on Neem oil as a treatment for psoriasis:

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-psoriasis.html

Neem oil does not cure psoriasis. Nothing cures psoriasis.
The skin disorder is a genetic condition, and we can't fix our genes (yet).

Neem can, however, be a godsend for people suffering from psoriasis, and it can help control psoriasis symptoms.

Neem treats psoriasis symptoms so successfully that some people claim to be cured. In reality they still carry the potential of a psoriasis flare up in them, but thanks to neem they can lead a symptom free life.

There is a caveat. In some people neem has indeed worked miracles, but for others it hasn't done much. Why? Well, the truth is, there is a lot about psoriasis that isn't fully understood yet, and there is also a lot about neem and neem oil that we don't know yet. As a result nobody can tell you many specifics about the interactions of neem oil and psoriasis.

[...]

Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin disorder.

[...]
The root cause of psoriasis is genetic, but carrying the genes does not necessarily mean symptoms. It also takes an environmental trigger.

Several factors can trigger or worsen psoriasis symptoms: skin infections (like boils), systemic infections (like respiratory infections, flu), stress (that's a big one), alcohol consumption (interestingly this triggers psoriasis only in males), medication.

Any skin irritations or injuries, like infections, cuts, burns, rashes, insect bites etc, make symptoms worse. Anything that weakens the immune system makes symptoms worse, and in people with autoimmune disorders (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis) or immunosuppressed people (e.g. transplant recipients, cancer sufferers undergoing chemo, HIV) psoriasis can be very severe.

Symptoms improve with lots of sunlight, air and Vitamin D. Psoriasis symptoms often clear over summer, only to return again next winter.

Neem oil is a brilliant emollient, a substance that softens and moistens dry cracked skin. This straight away eliminates a lot of the irritation and itchiness. It moisturizes and protects, and heals any lesions or scaling.

Neem also soothes the redness and irritation directly, through the steroid like effect of some of its ingredients. Yes, neem can affect your skin similar to the way steroids do, but without all the nasty side effects.

Neem oil generally enhances skin health and the natural immunity of your skin, which is one of the biggest factors in psoriasis.

Neem oil is strongly antibacterial, and the benefit of this for psoriasis is obvious. Neem cleans up any skin infections that may have developed because of cracked broken skin (due to dryness or scratching). When used regularly (by using a neem soap, neem shampoo, or neem lotion) neem also prevents any future skin infections that may aggravate or bring back psoriasis symptoms.

(As a bonus neem oil also prevents insect bites, another trigger that can worse symptoms. DEET, the synthetic chemical in insect repellents is a known skin irritant which would aggravate psoriasis symptoms.)

Neem leaf supports and stimulates the immune system. (Neem leaves are available as capsules, tablets, or as neem tea.) Anything that helps your immune system helps with psoriasis.

One research study showed that when people who used the common coal tar treatment for psoriasis also took neem leaf extract internally, then their psoriasis symptoms cleared up faster.

Other research reports showed that nimbidin, one of the components found in neem seed oil, has anti-inflammatory properties comparable to standard drugs like phenylbutazone (non-steroid) or prednisolone (a steroid).

Experiments and reports from patients with psoriasis suggest that taking neem leaf orally combined with a topical neem oil treatment (like baths, soap, lotion or salve) can be at least as effective as coal tar and cortisone in treating psoriasis, with none of the nasty side effects.

I think it may be worth trying too, not as THE treatment, but as an additional one. Notice that that article says it's genetic but the causes are not clear enough, and then it says that it is an inflammatory skin disorder. So, reducing inflammation must be the key. ;)

Psyche said:
Hi!

In the book it specifies how DMSO is particularly useful in any type of retinal disease. So I think that a 20-30% dilution of DMSO is worth a try for central serous choroidopathy (chorioretinopathy).

Thanks Psyche. I will look into getting DSMO here. I may have to make friends with a vet though. :)

Herondancer

Thanks Psyche, Laura and Ailén for all of your input -- I was originally going to read Baker's book right away, but I had to bump it back so I could get to other things I only had in my hands temporarily; I will try to find the time to start this weekend. I will look into the fats issue and also the Neem oil (it seems like DMSO may not be the way to go, but I will try to read everything on it to see what I can learn). I feel that I have cut down the toxicity in my diet pretty well -- no gluten, dairy, or vegetable oils -- but maybe I could still have a toxic colon resulting merely from my previous diet and I need to give the detoxing more time. I have to admit I haven't cut out coffee completely -- maybe there is a coffee-psoriasis link :) In any case, your responses give me lots of leads to follow, so thanks again :flowers:

Shijing said:
Thanks Psyche, Laura and Ailén for all of your input -- I was originally going to read Baker's book right away, but I had to bump it back so I could get to other things I only had in my hands temporarily; I will try to find the time to start this weekend. I will look into the fats issue and also the Neem oil (it seems like DMSO may not be the way to go, but I will try to read everything on it to see what I can learn). I feel that I have cut down the toxicity in my diet pretty well -- no gluten, dairy, or vegetable oils -- but maybe I could still have a toxic colon resulting merely from my previous diet and I need to give the detoxing more time. I have to admit I haven't cut out coffee completely -- maybe there is a coffee-psoriasis link :) In any case, your responses give me lots of leads to follow, so thanks again :flowers:

You could benefit greatly from a series of colonics...

Here's a site that apparently will ship DSMO anywhere. It will come labeled as a "solvent".

_http://www.dmso.net/default.asp
D M S O READ THIS FIRST

Warning: This product is sold as a solvent only. It is unlawful to represent that DMSO is useful or safe for medicinal purposes.

DMSO is a colorless liquid derived from lignin, the material that bonds together the cells of trees. It is extracted during the manufacturing of pulp and then processed; it is an organic non-synthesized product
The controversy: DMSO has not been approved for medicinal use except for the treatment of a rare bladder disease, interstitial cystitis. To the best of our knowledge, only a medical doctor may prescribe DMSO for inflammatory ailments such arthritis, bursitis, aches and pains, etc. DMSO is now available for various ailments in Japan, Latin America, Russia, Western Europe and many others.

Question: Why has DMSO not been approved unanimously in the United States? Some say it is because large pharmaceutical companies have been discouraging DMSO because of the low profit margin. An 8 oz. Bottle of DMSO only costs about $4.50. Others in the pharmaceutical field say there is little proof that it works.

DMSO has been aired on TV programs such as 60 minutes, 20/20, and many others. It was also mentioned in the 2002 movie, White Oleander. DMSO has been used in the past by professional football players and a number of sports teams and Olympic athletes to alleviate pain and injuries. It is a strong antioxidant and a scavenger of the free radicals that gather at the site of injury.

There are many good books out on DMSO if you wish to explore this further. How you use DMSO is of course entirely up to you. The controversy continues. "

He includes a page of satisfied customers here: _http://dmso.net/guestlist/index.asp

1/28/2010 12:45:06 PM (MST)
Dave Cancilla - (Email Not Disclosed)

Hey, I just placed my order for my own home this time. Thanks for shipping to my father in Oshawa, Canada as we had spoken about last week. He was very pleased with the product and service and was surprised his parcel arrived so quickly. Thanks again Dave Cancilla

Thats the way I purchased mine. Sold as 99% pure DMSO it says is for solvent purposes only and user takes their own risk if they decide to use it otherwise. I'm gonna try diluting to 30% and see if I can get my dad to use it as eye drops. He has a case of glaucoma covering up his eyes and refuses to admit it. Maybe if it starts to help him see clearly he'll be a little more positive on life again. Thanks again for all the info everyone. :)

Laura said:
Shijing said:

Hi Shijing,

On the other hand, I don't think there should be a reason for your lesions to shed scales if you take it orally, and perhaps even less reason if you do it for a few days. I'll let you know if I come across with more information. We are still going through the DMSO literature over here ;) , it is truly amazing stuff.

I just read a study which reports that DMSO decreases intestinal permeability (in a good way) in pathological conditions. So DMSO has stabilizing effects on alterations in intestinal permeability and absorption.

I'm gonna try diluting to 30% and see if I can get my dad to use it as eye drops. He has a case of glaucoma covering up his eyes and refuses to admit it. Maybe if it starts to help him see clearly he'll be a little more positive on life again.

Hello Psyche and Pete02 , I had a thought on the above activity and would it be advised to consider that what type and the source of water to use in this application, for such a delicate part of the body? That being the eyes. Would there be for safety for the use of sterile water, distilled, and or water from a reverse osmosis system for purity, perhaps might be a consideration?

Hi M.A.O.

For the eyes I would use distilled water or sterile saline solution (0.9%) which you might be able to get in the pharmacy.

Psyche said:
Hi M.A.O.

For the eyes I would use distilled water or sterile saline solution (0.9%) which you might be able to get in the pharmacy.

For the eye, sterile saline is a good idea. You can probably still find sterile saline OTC next to the contact lens solution in any large chain store. As for the DMSO, be sure to get pharmaceutical grade (99.9% is best). I purchased mine off Amazon from HerbalRemedies.com. I'd be a bit leary of purchasing DMSO from a farm store, or even from a vet. Any impurities in the DMSO is going to get absorbed. :scared:

Pete02 said:
Thats the way I purchased mine. Sold as 99% pure DMSO it says is for solvent purposes only and user takes their own risk if they decide to use it otherwise. I'm gonna try diluting to 30% and see if I can get my dad to use it as eye drops. He has a case of glaucoma covering up his eyes and refuses to admit it. Maybe if it starts to help him see clearly he'll be a little more positive on life again. Thanks again for all the info everyone. :)

I'd order the 99.9% pure DMSO, especially for use in the eye, Pete02.

Shijing said:

Hi Shijing,
I developed a case of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis from too many years of nightly bourbon drinking - an autoimmune reaction (my understanding) to the alcohol. Psoriasis would appear in patches on my skin but particularly under the fingernails/toenails including disfigured nails accompanied with finger joint swelling and arthritis. Stopping the alcohol eventually eliminated the arthritis and the psoriasis but the length-wise striations in the nails remain. In the last 3 weeks I began a serious colon cleanse using 2 powders: 1) a mixture of psyllium seed/husk, flax seed, fruit pectin, slippery elm, bentonite clay and activated charcoal, for the bulk cleanse 2) a mixture of aloe, rhubarb, cascara sagrada, senna, etc, to keep things moving and prevent backup/constipation from 1). I also implemented a detox/ultra/elimination type diet. What amazed me is that 2 weeks into the colon cleanse the striations in my nails began to disappear simultaneously across all of the nails. I'm attributing this to the colon cleanse but I cannot rule out the diet due to elimination of all gluten, raw diary (very hard!) and meat (pastured). [I also did a 5-day kidney cleanse during this period that included a 3-day juice fast.]

The point of all this being that a colon cleanse might just be a good thing to try. FWIW

Laura said:
Psoriasis is generally evidence of a very toxic colon.

This is spot on with what Edgar Cayce stated in the 19 health readings he gave for Psoriasis.

Quote from Edgar Cayce, Encyclopedia of Healing
The primary cause in each instance was found to be improper eliminations, which were associated with a weakness and thinning of the walls of the intestines. Subsequently, the abnormally thin walls would allow a seepage of toxins into the bloodstream, which in turn, would lead to disturbances on the surface of the skin.

Psyche said:
I just read a study which reports that DMSO decreases intestinal permeability (in a good way) in pathological conditions. So DMSO has stabilizing effects on alterations in intestinal permeability and absorption.

Oral DMSO may indeed have a positive effect on psoriasis, considering the decrease in intestinal permeability! This would slow down/stop the leakage of toxins into the bloodstream.

And as Laura and LQB pointed out, a series of colonics should help tremendously.

Cayce also recommended an alkaline diet of easily digested food, fruits, veges and their juices (and no sweets, bread, fats, fried food or alcohol - all the evils we should be avoiding anyway). No mention of coffee, but he did recommend saffron tea (a pinch of the herb to a cup of boiling water) and also a pinch of slippery elm bark to a glass of cold water, to ease digestion and strengthen the intestines. FWIW.

edit - fixed spelling

LissyLou said:
Quote from Edgar Carce, Encyclopedia of Healing
The primary cause in each instance was found to be improper eliminations, which were associated with a weakness and thinning of the walls of the intestines. Subsequently, the abnormally thin walls would allow a seepage of toxins into the bloodstream, which in turn, would lead to disturbances on the surface of the skin.

And there is this on activated charcoal from Natural News:

(NaturalNews) Pharmacist P.F. Touery, shocked colleagues in The French Academy of Medicine in 1831 by drinking a massive dose of lethal strychnine in front of them. Amazingly, he suffered no toxic effects. He had combined the deadly poison with activated charcoal, an antidote and detoxifying agent that goes back centuries.

Today, activated charcoal is in all hospital ERs and many emergency vehicles as a fast, effective antidote for poisons of all types. It is considered safe and effective by the FDA, and it's inexpensive. Very few know of this amazing natural antidote, and even less know of its general detoxifying capacity.

Explaining Activated Charcoal

Don't confuse activated charcoal with charcoal briquettes for barbecuing or anything else. Those contain toxic chemicals and carcinogens. Using the powder form of activated charcoal is recommended. It's easy to ingest as a fine powder in water. It's tasteless, though a tad gritty.

It is derived from burning pure, untainted organic substances, such as coconuts or certain woods, without using chemicals in the process. You can get a one pound bag for less than $10.00 US.

Dr. Al Seales, MD, has his patients use it for detoxing even heavy metals, and he uses it himself. For heavy metal detoxifying, he recommends a total of 20 grams per day, spaced apart in two to four doses, over a 12 day period.

The action of activated charcoal involves adsorption, not absorption, of toxins from the intestinal tract. Adsorption is the electrical attraction of toxins to the surfaces of the fine charcoal particles. The charcoal itself is not absorbed into the body, so the toxins attached to the charcoal particles exit via the bowels. Don't be surprised by black stools.

Some advise using it with a non-toxic toothpaste to remove plaques and stains from your teeth as well as bacteria from your mouth. A bit messy, perhaps, but considered highly effective for cleaning and sanitizing.

Dispelling Rumors

The controversy on ingesting activated charcoal is based on the notion that it also robs the body of nutrients. According to several solid sources, this is misinformation. Pharmaceutical medicines, which tend to be toxic, are removed partially or wholly, and nutrients from synthetic vitamin sources tend to be removed also. But not food nutrients.

It's actually better to take the activated charcoal two hours away from food, because food hampers the charcoal's detox activity.

This comes from the 1980 book Activated Charcoal by David O. Cooney: "Charcoal added to the diet of sheep for six months did not cause a loss of nutrients, as compared with sheep not receiving charcoal. ... A level of 5 % of the total diet was given as charcoal. It did not affect the blood or urinary levels of calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, inorganic phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, creatinine, uric acid, urea nitrogen, alkaline phosphatase, total protein or urine pH."

Another rumor has it that activated charcoal causes constipation. This is only if you're already blocked a bit, but it doesn't cause it. As with any type of detox, one needs to be free of blockages to eliminate easily. Drinking more water and taking swig of pure organic Castor oil will usually take care of that. Diarrhea occasionally occurs as a temporary detox side effect.

Keep It Around

Even if you're not keen on using activated charcoal for general or heavy metal detox purposes, it would be wise to have it on hand in a sealed glass jar for those accidental sips or bites of poisonous substances and venomous insect and snake bites. It is quick to prepare, easy to take, and inexpensive.

Sources for More Information

Activated Charcoal Powder - Untruths and Truths _http://healingtools.tripod.com/char...

Pure Inside Out _http://www.pureinsideout.com/activa...

Every ER Carries This Miracle Powder by Dr. Al Sears _http://www.healthiertalk.com/every-...

Laura said:

OK -- I had bought what I needed to for coffee enemas some time ago and it sounds like it might be good for me to finally do it, but I just looked up colonics and it looks like they needs to be done with the aid of a colon specialist (or at least a doctor). I don't know if I will be able to do that immediately, but I can certainly keep my eyes open for opportunities.

Psyche said:
On the other hand, I don't think there should be a reason for your lesions to shed scales if you take it orally, and perhaps even less reason if you do it for a few days. I'll let you know if I come across with more information. We are still going through the DMSO literature over here ;) , it is truly amazing stuff.

Sounds good -- lots of advice coming back is that this may be an intestinal problem, so I might do some reading and then look into taking the DMSO orally. Thanks for all the work you are putting into researching this there at the chateau -- it looks like it will really pay off with the wide applicability of DMSO.

LQB said:
I developed a case of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis from too many years of nightly bourbon drinking - an autoimmune reaction (my understanding) to the alcohol...The point of all this being that a colon cleanse might just be a good thing to try.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because until last year I usually drank regularly before bed too. This may be one of the biggest problems -- even though I don't do it now, it probably did quite a bit of damage. Thanks also for the info about activated charcoal above.

LissyLou said:
Quote from Edgar Cayce, Encyclopedia of Healing

Oral DMSO may indeed have a positive effect on psoriasis, considering the decrease in intestinal permeability! This would slow down/stop the leakage of toxins into the bloodstream.

And as Laura and LQB pointed out, a series of colonics should help tremendously.

Yeah, that's looking almost unanimous at this point! Thanks for the Cayce quote, which supports most of the other advice I've gotten, and it looks like I need to start figuring out what to do with my colon. Thanks everyone for the positive networking experience about this :)

Back
Top Bottom