Earth Changes and the Human-Cosmic Connection

Pierre said:
Pashalis said:
If you want to do that, you just have to use the new data provided above and change the graphs as described above, according to that data. Then you need to read those two chapters carefully again and adjust the new numbers/data into those text passages. It sounds much, but it isn't, if you carefully go through those two chapters again including the source data...

Exactly

Ok, thank you, Pierre. We'll adjust the corresponding text passages.

Pierre said:
Pashalis said:
By the way Pierre: http://sonotaco.jp/doc/SNM/index.html just published their data for 2015 as well. The problem now is, if we update that data until 2015 as well, that te premise that there is a increase in that time frame is probably not there anymore, as originally stated in the book back then for that data. That would then also apply to the footnote to that graph. So what should we do there?

I'm still not sure if the Sonota Data is as objective as the AMS data, because of they way they gather their data compared to the Sonota data...

All other data in those two chapters still fits with your analysis of back then (that there is an overall increase)...

Indeed we still can mention an overall increase. Actually, I would not be surprised if we crossed a first cluster ( roughly 2010-2013) then experienced a temporary slowdown before entering a second cluster. Meteor density is not homogeneous. Maybe that could be added in a footnote.

Ok I'll try to think about how best to rephrase that part in accordance with what you wrote above (and the updated graph). I'll bring it up here before it gets into the book draft, so that you can have a look and see if it fits...

PS: Data/Graph updated in the table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DiWyJTAJV5jBUYDcYNqfgpZ5hvFAjpQJfS2k-8pvIiY/edit?usp=sharing

Pashalis said:
PS: Data/Graph updated in the table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DiWyJTAJV5jBUYDcYNqfgpZ5hvFAjpQJfS2k-8pvIiY/edit?usp=sharing

2015 not yet in the graph. ;)

Pashalis said:
Dirgni said:
Pashalis said:

2015 not yet in the graph. ;)

For me it is?!

It seems my tablet is filtering it away. I still do not see it with it, only a white space where 2015 is. :huh:
Sorry for the noise.

Cosmic Rays Continue to Intensify

Last month, we reported that cosmic rays are intensifying. Measurements so far in February indicate that the trend is continuing. In fact, the latest balloon flight over California on Feb. 5th detected the highest value yet:

cosmicrays_strip.png

mayjune2015.gif

The data show that cosmic rays in the mid-latitude stratosphere now are approximately 10% stronger than they were one year ago. All of these measurements were collected by Spaceweather.com and the students of Earth to Sky Calculus.

Cosmic rays, which are accelerated toward Earth by distant supernova explosions and other violent events, are an important form of space weather. They can seed clouds, trigger lightning, and penetrate commercial airplanes. Indeed, our measurements show that someone flying back and forth across the continental USA, just once, can absorb as much ionizing cosmic radiation as 2 to 5 dental X-rays. Likewise, cosmic rays can affect mountain climbers, high-altitude drones, and astronauts onboard the International Space Station.

This type of radiation is modulated by solar activity. Solar storms and CMEs tend to sweep aside cosmic rays, making it more difficult for cosmic rays to reach Earth. On the other hand, low solar activity allows an extra dose of cosmic rays to reach our planet. Indeed, the ongoing increase in cosmic ray intensity is probably due to a decline in the solar cycle. Solar Maximum has passed and we are heading toward a new Solar Minimum. Forecasters expect solar activity to drop sharply in the years ahead, and cosmic rays are poised to increase accordingly. Stay tuned for more radiation.
Hmm, I remember Spaceweather.com stating that cosmic rays increased by 10% already several months ago. This article (in Russian: _http://earth-chronicles.ru/news/2016-02-17-89170) states that cosmic radiation already increased by 15-20% since last solar maximum. Probaly it depends on the altitude where the measurements were taken. Nevertheless the trend seems to continue...

I created figure 76 using updated data. You may have a look at result here https://yadi.sk/d/4NUM_gnGpaCQE. I hope I didn't mess linear regression (used LibreOffice Calc to calculate it). Notice that new data conficts with the old one especially for blue graph. Other figures should follow soon.

aimarok said:
I created figure 76 using updated data. You may have a look at result here https://yadi.sk/d/4NUM_gnGpaCQE. I hope I didn't mess linear regression (used LibreOffice Calc to calculate it). Notice that new data conficts with the old one especially for blue graph. Other figures should follow soon.

Cool! I'll update the table accordingly tomorrow...

Thank you ☺

Pashalis said:
aimarok said:

Cool! I'll update the table accordingly tomorrow...

Thank you ☺

Table is updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VbfoSiEr2Ou8dKl_OoPI5fPvV_upcwIbtJlpUuVYDXk/edit?usp=sharing

PS: Added two columns at the end that show the location of the updated graphs pictures (until 2015) and which of those are ready to be included/substituted for the book.

I'll update the table as the translation continues, so that we hopefully can update all the important data then easily and quickly. (chapter 22 + 23 included as well now).

Altair said:
Cosmic Rays Continue to Intensify

Last month, we reported that cosmic rays are intensifying. Measurements so far in February indicate that the trend is continuing. In fact, the latest balloon flight over California on Feb. 5th detected the highest value yet:

cosmicrays_strip.png

mayjune2015.gif

The data show that cosmic rays in the mid-latitude stratosphere now are approximately 10% stronger than they were one year ago. All of these measurements were collected by Spaceweather.com and the students of Earth to Sky Calculus.

Cosmic rays, which are accelerated toward Earth by distant supernova explosions and other violent events, are an important form of space weather. They can seed clouds, trigger lightning, and penetrate commercial airplanes. Indeed, our measurements show that someone flying back and forth across the continental USA, just once, can absorb as much ionizing cosmic radiation as 2 to 5 dental X-rays. Likewise, cosmic rays can affect mountain climbers, high-altitude drones, and astronauts onboard the International Space Station.

This type of radiation is modulated by solar activity. Solar storms and CMEs tend to sweep aside cosmic rays, making it more difficult for cosmic rays to reach Earth. On the other hand, low solar activity allows an extra dose of cosmic rays to reach our planet. Indeed, the ongoing increase in cosmic ray intensity is probably due to a decline in the solar cycle. Solar Maximum has passed and we are heading toward a new Solar Minimum. Forecasters expect solar activity to drop sharply in the years ahead, and cosmic rays are poised to increase accordingly. Stay tuned for more radiation.
Hmm, I remember Spaceweather.com stating that cosmic rays increased by 10% already several months ago. This article (in Russian: _http://earth-chronicles.ru/news/2016-02-17-89170) states that cosmic radiation already increased by 15-20% since last solar maximum. Probaly it depends on the altitude where the measurements were taken. Nevertheless the trend seems to continue...

It's not surprising because cosmic rays are anti-correlated with the sun's activity and knowing that this cycle is weaker than the precedent. The minimum in 2008/2009 was at all points described as "unusually low" with an unexpected strong negative response from the atmosphere (specially in the upper atmosphere). And i think that the next minimum in 2019 will be critical in this way. But, in touch with cosmic rays, actual studies don't know really much. There is the cloud connexion but it is still very incertain. There is also great expectations with EPP (electric particule precipitation) impacting the chemistry in the thermosphere, mesosphere, stratosphere with possible repercussion in the troposphere.

Eol said:
It's not surprising because cosmic rays are anti-correlated with the sun's activity and knowing that this cycle is weaker than the precedent. The minimum in 2008/2009 was at all points described as "unusually low" with an unexpected strong negative response from the atmosphere (specially in the upper atmosphere). And i think that the next minimum in 2019 will be critical in this way. But, in touch with cosmic rays, actual studies don't know really much. There is the cloud connexion but it is still very incertain. There is also great expectations with EPP (electric particule precipitation) impacting the chemistry in the thermosphere, mesosphere, stratosphere with possible repercussion in the troposphere.

Here is the mechanism explaining effects from increased cosmic rays (picture 121 from the book). The same mechanism is partly explained in The cycle of cosmic catastrophes by Firestone (p. 180).

Attachments

• cosmicrays.png
    cosmicrays.png
    350.6 KB · Views: 143
I've uploaded figures 69, 70, 75 and 93 to the same location. Linear regression if figure 93 (blue line) wasn't calculated but drawn using visual approximation. Right now only figure 36 left and I want to ask for advice how to represent data. Should we truncate bars above 7000 (like the last bar in original image) or is it better to zoom out and show actual bar sizes?

aimarok said:
I've uploaded figures 69, 70, 75 and 93 to the same location. Linear regression if figure 93 (blue line) wasn't calculated but drawn using visual approximation. Right now only figure 36 left and I want to ask for advice how to represent data. Should we truncate bars above 7000 (like the last bar in original image) or is it better to zoom out and show actual bar sizes?

Great work, thanks! Table is updated. For Figure number 36 I would say lets try how a actual bar size would look like and if it is readable.

By the way which do you have the original PSD file formats for the pictures?

Pashalis said:
Great work, thanks! Table is updated. For Figure number 36 I would say lets try how a actual bar size would look like and if it is readable.

By the way which do you have the original PSD file formats for the pictures?

OK, let's try actual sizes. I'll post when it's ready.

I use Inkscape for drawing so original images are in SVG format. PublishR has native support for PDF images, and it is the best format for charts since it can be purely vector if image doesn't contain any raster elements, SVG filters or overlapping semi-transparent elements. Otherwise image can be partly rasterized combining sharpness of vector elements with complexness of raster elements. Final PDF images containing only vector elements also have much smaller size than raster copies. Photoshop is a bad choice in this case.

I'll send all SVG files to Mikey when there're ready. Also I'll put JPG copies of updated images to the same location where PDF versions are stored now.

aimarok said:
I use Inkscape for drawing so original images are in SVG format. PublishR has native support for PDF images, and it is the best format for charts since it can be purely vector if image doesn't contain any raster elements, SVG filters or overlapping semi-transparent elements. Otherwise image can be partly rasterized combining sharpness of vector elements with complexness of raster elements. Final PDF images containing only vector elements also have much smaller size than raster copies. Photoshop is a bad choice in this case.

I'll send all SVG files to Mikey when there're ready. Also I'll put JPG copies of updated images to the same location where PDF versions are stored now.

The reason why PSD would be convenient is because of the translation. A fileformat with separate layers for each text make it much more easier to replace the original text with the translation instead of editing the image from scratch again. Does the SVG format contain the text as separate elements too?

Back
Top Bottom