Earthquakes around the world

Luis said:
Marina9 said:
caballero reyes said:
Earthquake Magnitud 8.0 southwest of Tonala, Chiapas, Mexico.

SISMO Magnitud 8.0 Loc. 137 km al SUROESTE de TONALA, CHIS 07/09/17 23:49:20 Lat 14.95 Lon -94.27 Pf 19 km

And here a video of he lights on the sky:

https://twitter.com/lalocedeno/status/906022311731462144

We went out the street and got to see some lights.

It was the strongest one in 32 years but no damage reported so far.

We went out of the house and one of the first things that we saw was lightning without sound, and a lot. I mean, it has been cloudy here but with no lightning and this was different, we've never seen anything like that before. I'm pretty sure that maybe a couple of the flashes were transformers, but other lights were more green and up in the sky. Many are reporting them in Twitter:

If it was 8+ (some sources are reporting 8.1, 8.2 and even 8.4), then it was stronger than the one in 1985 that toppled half of downtown Mexico City! :scared: RT says the president is saying it was the strongest in a century: https://www.rt.com/news/402415-tsunami-quake-mexico-shore/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS The good thing is that the weakest buildings already fell back in 85, and presumably anything built since then was built with that in mind, which would explain the much less damage in comparison.

The irony is that yesterday the sismic alert in Mexico City was wrongly triggered, that is several hours before the real one. Some headline read: "somebody pressed the wrong button". Also, there have been a number of storms and floods in the city. Mega solar flares, mega huricanes, mega earthquakes, all after a solar eclipe in North America, hmm...

One vivid memory I have of the 85 earthquake is the sound of the transformers exploding on the street. This video shows some transformers and electric cables exploding; I think that explains most if not all the flashes in the sky, but who knows:

https://youtu.be/GL82cKwG8Ik

Anyway, it sonds quite scary, and I'm happy those in Mexico are safe!

Quote from Windmill Knight

Me too! A hour ago I was sitting next to my husband who was driving the car, which is when he told me about the earthquake. The journey until reaching home seemed endless to me as I needed to know if you all were safe. Too good to know you´re ok, guys!

Because of the later ongoing mad news about climatic catastrophes, I´m now constantly reminded of the impermanence of our world and its inhabitants, which makes me rather feel like a Lilliputian. Well I´m just putting the latter this way to save some humor in the middle of the tragedies.

Windmill knight said:
The irony is that yesterday the sismic alert in Mexico City was wrongly triggered, that is several hours before the real one. Some headline read: "somebody pressed the wrong button". Also, there have been a number of storms and floods in the city. Mega solar flares, mega huricanes, mega earthquakes, all after a solar eclipe in North America, hmm...
Yes, hmm, hope Irma does not become stronger ... I heard the "false" sismic alert yesterday, and I wonder about, perhaps it was as those sismic measurement form Irma's _http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/irma-hurricane-strength-category-earthquake-measurement-seismometer-a7931286.html ...

There has been around 185 aftershocks, and it has been upgraded to 8.2 according to National Sismic Service _http://www.ssn.unam.mx/

It was quite an scare, the tremor was felt slow and later a strong "pull", it last like 3 minutes, more scaring as well when the transformers explode and lights went out, managed to calm down after several pipe breaths, although it was difficult to get asleep.

Hope everyone is okay in Mexico. It's terrible. In the attached graph, one can notice a spike in solar wind velocity (purple line) around the time the earthquake occurred.

Attachments

• solarwind08sep2017.png
    solarwind08sep2017.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 161
mkrnhr said:
Hope everyone is okay in Mexico. It's terrible. In the attached graph, one can notice a spike in solar wind velocity (purple line) around the time the earthquake occurred.

Something curious is that the 1985 quake was also on Sept, 19th to be exact.. maybe just a coincidence.

Here's another video:

https://www.facebook.com/EstiloDF.TV/videos/pcb.1623439601035435/1623438277702234/?type=3&theater

Windmill knight said:

One vivid memory I have of the 85 earthquake is the sound of the transformers exploding on the street. This video shows some transformers and electric cables exploding; I think that explains most if not all the flashes in the sky, but who knows:

https://youtu.be/GL82cKwG8Ik

Yes! I was super asleep when I heard the sismic alert and thought it was another mistake, but then things started moving and we all rushed out to the street, it was pretty scary, and as mabar said a bit difficult to go back to sleep, but we are all safe.

Windmill knight said:
If it was 8+ (some sources are reporting 8.1, 8.2 and even 8.4), then it was stronger than the one in 1985 that toppled half of downtown Mexico City! :scared: RT says the president is saying it was the strongest in a century: https://www.rt.com/news/402415-tsunami-quake-mexico-shore/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS The good thing is that the weakest buildings already fell back in 85, and presumably anything built since then was built with that in mind, which would explain the much less damage in comparison.

Also, although I haven't corroborated, this one was oscillatory and in 1985 was both oscillatory and trepidatory.

Navigator said:
Windmill knight said:

Also, although I haven't corroborated, this one was oscillatory and in 1985 was both oscillatory and trepidatory.

Yup Nav, 1985 was both this one was just oscillatory, which may be the explanation of why in the City nothing too major happened, but in other cities there were people that passed away and buildings that collapsed :(

mabar said:
Windmill knight said:
Yes, hmm, hope Irma does not become stronger ... I heard the "false" sismic alert yesterday, and I wonder about, perhaps it was as those sismic measurement form Irma's _http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/irma-hurricane-strength-category-earthquake-measurement-seismometer-a7931286.html ...

There has been around 185 aftershocks, and it has been upgraded to 8.2 according to National Sismic Service _http://www.ssn.unam.mx/

It was quite an scare, the tremor was felt slow and later a strong "pull", it last like 3 minutes, more scaring as well when the transformers explode and lights went out, managed to calm down after several pipe breaths, although it was difficult to get asleep.

Glad to hear from those located in Mexico and that everyone is O.K. Please stay safe! The video's coming out of Mexico shows a lot of damage and destruction.

Interesting about the sismic alert being trigger several hours before the strong quake materialized. I've read past article of that same quirk happening in San Francisco - where toll bells would ring for a few minutes and then stop, only to have an earthquake hit about an hour or two later.

Reports are coming in of causalities in the Mexican quake.

Toll in Mexico quake rises to at least 32
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tsunami-warning-magnitude-8-quake-rocks-mexico-usgs-055538866.html

Mexico was severely jolted overnight by its most powerful earthquake in a century, which killed at least 32 people as it struck the Pacific coast, officials said Friday.

President Enrique Pena Nieto described the 8.2 magnitude quake as "a major earthquake in scale and magnitude, the strongest in the past 100 years."

The southeastern Pacific coast states of Oaxaca and Chiapas appeared to have borne the brunt of the damage, with 23 people killed in Oaxaca alone, Governor Alejandro Murat said.

The worst destruction appeared to be in Juchitan, in the state of Oaxaca, where 17 people were confirmed dead, according to the head of the emergency response agency, Ricardo de la Cruz.

Officials said the death toll there could rise.

"There are houses that collapsed with people inside," Luis Felipe Puente, the agency's director general, told TV news channel Milenio.

A hotel also collapsed in Juchitan, the town hall partly caved in and many homes were badly damaged.

Two children were killed in neighboring Tabasco state, the governor said.

One was crushed by a collapsing wall. The other, an infant on a respirator, died after the quake triggered a power outage.

The quake epicenter was about 100 kilometers (60 miles) from the coastal town of Tonala, in far southern Chiapas state, and hit at 11:49 pm Thursday (0449 GMT Friday), Mexico's seismologic service said.

The US Geological Survey put the magnitude slightly lower, at 8.1. That is the same as a devastating 1985 earthquake that killed more than 10,000 people in Mexico City -- the country's most destructive ever.

The quake shook a large swath of the country and was felt as far north as Mexico City -- some 800 kilometers from the epicenter -- where people fled their homes after hearing sirens go off as buildings trembled and swayed.

Mexico is particularly vulnerable to hurricanes, given its location and its Pacific and Atlantic coastlines, and is hit by a least a dozen weather events a year.

Glad to hear from those located in Mexico and that everyone is O.K. Please stay safe! The video's coming out of Mexico shows a lot of damage and destruction.

Ditto! And a safe passage for South America.

Financial Times
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yccXKI_wS1Y
Published on Sep 8, 2017

Twitter Laments Mexican 'Earthquake of the Century' (VIDEO Tweets )
(updated 20:22 08.09.2017)
https://sputniknews.com/latam/201709081057224258-mexico-earthquake-social-media-reaction/
Twitter users expressed their sympathies to the people of Mexico after the country was hit by a devastating magnitude 8.2 earthquake. The deadly calamity left dozens dead and numerous buildings destroyed, which touched a compassionate nerve of Internet users globally.

Dozens were killed as a result of a powerful magnitude 8.2 earthquake that hit Mexico early on Friday, September 8 — the largest the country has experienced in the past 100 years.

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said that "50 million Mexicans felt the tremor" when the disaster struck, adding that 65 aftershocks were felt after the earthquake.

As Mexican authorities move to deal with the aftermath of the earthquake, numerous Twitter users expressed sympathy to those afflicted by this cataclysm using hashtag #PrayForMexico

Some people, however, used this opportunity to make snide remarks about US President Donald Trump.

Others simply sought to convey a message of compassion and support to the people of Mexico.

The earthquake’s epicenter was located off the Pacific coast of Mexico, approximately 73 miles south-west of the Tres Picos settlement, with the shocks being registered at 04:49 GMT, according to the US Geological Survey.

Información sobre sismo 2017-09-07 23:49:18
http://www.ssn.unam.mx/
Magnitud: 8.2 (actualizada)
Ocurrido el 2017-09-07 a las 23:49:18 horas (tiempo del Centro de México)
Localización del epicentro: 133 km al suroeste de Pijijiapan, Chiapas
Latitud: 14.85°, longitud: -94.11°
Profundidad: 58 km
Réplicas: 266 hasta las 10:15 am (la mayor de M 6.1)

Reporte especial (7 páginas PDF Sismológicas)
http://www.ssn.unam.mx/sismicidad/reportes-especiales/2017/SSNMX_rep_esp_20170907_Chiapas_M84.pdf

Oh dear... my condolences to the Mexican people, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was 3 hours out from Mexico City in 1985, woke to my ceiling lamp swaying back and forth. In my half awake state I thought someone was running on the roof causing the movement.

I had a dream this morning with a group of Mexican people in it and I woke with tears in my eyes. I thought I was merely missing Mexico but now I read this...

So sad. Its good that all members are reporting being safe so far.

Floods, fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, total eclipses, fireballs. Things have sure picked up.

The Mexican quake was crazy. We felt it all the way here in Cancun.

At the time, I went outside and saw the crazy silent lightning as well.

Nima said:
Floods, fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, total eclipses, fireballs. Things have sure picked up.

The Mexican quake was crazy. We felt it all the way here in Cancun.

Indeed, I have friends in Cancun, and they felt it too. Although, for the official version, it was not.

Nima said:

You saw this lightning over Cancun or somewhere in the distance? How strong did you feel the earthquake there? I'm trying to determine how many of these lightnings were transformers/cables and how many were really sismic lights, as people are saying.

This prediction from the Cs came to mind:

22 July 1994

Q: (L) Do you have information for us this evening?

A: Space invasion soon. Four to six years. Battle between forces good and evil. Wait near. Look far. Listen. Mexico fall; Ethiopia quake; September - both - New Near - January- Paris bomb - London Blizzard - 109 die - Plane down -Tahiti - Cholera - Montana - January 1995 - government US - behind California quakes - Three soon - Oklahoma political abduction - February 95 - Big news.

I always thought that the simplest explanation for a "Mexico fall" would be a big earthquake that flattened much of the capital city. The biggie that just happened was in September, so I'm wondering if in a different timeline it was much more catastrophic. As Navigator pointed out, it didn't do that much damage because it was oscillatory (moving sideways) instead of trepidatory (moving up and down), which tends to be more destructive; or even worse if there's a combination of both, as it happened in 1985. So it only needed to be a different type of quake - not even of stronger intensity - to have resulted in something much worse.

On the other hand, September is not over yet, so people down there keep your eyes open. :/

Windmill knight said:
As Navigator pointed out, it didn't do that much damage because it was oscillatory (moving sideways) instead of trepidatory (moving up and down), which tends to be more destructive; or even worse if there's a combination of both, as it happened in 1985. So it only needed to be a different type of quake - not even of stronger intensity - to have resulted in something much worse.

Regarding this, I just came across an article in Spanish that says that the oscillation vs trepidation is not that important; however the magnitude vs the intensity is. Magnitude is "the size of the earthquake, the energy that is liberated at the place of origin, and intensity is the acceleration, the movement of the terrain", says Xyoli Pérez Campos, chief of the National Sismological Service.

So the recent earthquake had a bigger magnitude than the one in 1985 (8.2 vs 8.1), but a much smaller intensity: an acceleration of between 2 and 5 cms / squared seconds in Mexico City, vs 32.54 and 161.63 cm/ squared seconds back in 1985. Thus the much less destructive power.

Some excerpts from this Nature article:

Deadly Mexico earthquake had unusual cause

"According to the National Seismological Service of Mexico, the quake hit the Gulf of Tehuantepec near the state of Chiapas just before midnight local time. The country’s earthquake early-warning system gave residents seconds to more than a minute of warning, depending on their proximity to the tremor’s epicentre. In Mexico City, more than 725 kilometres away, that amounted to 86 seconds of advanced notice.

The region where the earthquake struck is one of the most active seismic zones in the country: this is where the Cocos Plate dives, or subducts, under the North American plate. “Earthquakes of this size are not uncommon at subduction zone boundaries,” notes Jascha Polet, a seismologist at California Polytechnic State University in Pomona.

But this quake was different: it occurred within the Cocos plate, as it warped or bent, not at the boundary with the North American plate, according to the US Geological Survey.

“The type of faulting that occurred here does not usually produce earthquakes of this magnitude,” says Polet. “There have been others in the past 50 years of similar type and location, but none that was even close to this size.” It is still too early to say why the earthquake was so massive, she adds, but “it is sure to inspire much future research”.

Mexico’s seismology agency has registered at least 337 aftershocks, with the strongest reaching a magnitude of 6.1."

http://www.nature.com/news/deadly-mexico-earthquake-had-unusual-cause-1.22586

Back
Top Bottom